Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon Quest Monsters Fortress  (Read 3051 times)

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest Monsters Fortress
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:11:35 am »

Basic Description:

In DQM Fortress, you run a civilization of monster trainers. While you can equip and train fighters and warriors to defend your outpost, it'll attract bigger and tougher monsters. The solution is to recruit and breed monsters of your own. Based on the Gameboy games of course.

Taming Monsters

When you kill a monster of any type, there is a chance that it'll drop an egg that can be taken to the hatchery to make a new tame monster of that type. Hostile monsters can be found out in the world, can be spawned from a World Portal, or can be part of invading armies.  You can also bring basic monsters with you on embark (This is reccomended), or buy mystery eggs from friendly traders.

Breeding Monsters

Breeding can refer to two monsters of the same race having babies, or combining two monster eggs at the starry night shrine building to create a new, generally more powerful monster. The best monsters are going to require a highly upgraded shrine along with a multitude of eggs to be created.

Your civilization

The base human race of DQM is balanced to be weaker than a dwarf and generally awful at learning skills outside their caste/job domain. While they'll happily live underground with nary a bad thought, they have no underground agriculture to speak of.

The Monster Families

Slime Family: Offensively weak, but surprisingly durable. Slimes feel no pain and will fight until death. Certain slimes drop high value materials for blacksmithing

Beast Family: The fastest breeding family, beast monsters are generally larger versions of normal animals, excelling at being strong and fast for their size. Beasts are one of the 2 monster families that can be butchered for leather, and can be butchered for meat.

Bird Family: Flying and generally weak monsters, Can be butchered for meat.

Material Family: Slow but defensive monsters, almost every member of the Material family will drop an item on death.

Dragon Family: Large and slow monsters that generally have breath attacks. Can be butchered for potentially high quality leather.

Demon Family: Generally fragile monsters with a projectile magic attack, or large bulky berzerkers.

Undead Family: Tough monsters that feel no pain and won't stop until their head is destroyed, can never heal or be healed.

Plant Family: (The only Grazers, they want sun and soil), Slow weak monsters that often produce plants and extracts, some of which cannot be obtained anywhere else

??? Family: Very tough and intelligent human monsters, will generally have powerful spells at their disposal. Will generally dominate on the field of battle.

Unique (to this mod) Buildings

Portal: A portal to another world, your tamers can come here to spawn hostile monsters in order to get battle experience and attempt to receive monster eggs.  Higher level portals will summon better monsters, which could be a potential risk if your teams aren't up to snuff. Potential source/start of invasions?

Item Shop: Turns Herbs into stronger medicines, meat into Monster snacks, and turns various monster parts into trade items

Hatchery: Turns a monster egg into a newborn monster. Higher levelled Hatcheries may impart stat or skill bonuses to the newborns.

Starry Shrine: Combines eggs into stronger eggs, turns eggs into generic family eggs (for generic family breeding).

Mod Roadmap:

V0 (current)  - Clean up Vanilla Raws, and replace with new raws where needed. Basic monsters in game,and working.

V0.1 (Next)  - Monsters drop eggs on death, Item shop/Hatchery Finished, Monster raw editor Finished, first public alpha release.

Current Bestiary

• Slime: A happy go lucky blob of ooze, While they're generally no stronger than your average dog, Swarms of slimes are known to end cocky adventurers
  • Anteater: Despite their sharp claws, Anteaters are quite docile and generally friendly 
  • Dracky: A dark bat that attempts to scare travellers despite it's big toothy grin
  • Dragonkid:  Too young to spew fire, these dog-sized dragons are still dangerous to adventurers due to their thick leathery scales
  • MadCandle: Candles brought to life due to ill-advised wizard spells, they are suprisingly vicious for 6 inch tall sticks of wax
  • Cactiball: Living Cacti that are secretly very friendly. Adventurers take note: They like to hug. 
  • Spooky: Surprisingly non-ethereal for ghosts, These little pranksters unlive to ruin your day.
  • Demonite: Cute little demons, Not-so-Cute little spells cast 

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest Monsters Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:21:29 am »

This sounds interesting, will watch.

JonnyBlack01

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just another chaotic gamer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:16:17 am »

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Sounds like a very interesting way to play DF in a semi dungeon keeper style.
And the aesthetic of DQ is like a dream come true.
The more complex the game, the more I want to learn it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »

It does sound very good. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to have an actual playable release as soon as I can. Right now it's basically standard dwarf fortress with a different race/civ and different pets. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all I can do with DFhack and figure out where to start.

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:42:41 pm »

Yes! I love this series. PTW.
Have you been to Dragon's Den? http://www.woodus.com/den/home.php
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:26:37 pm »

Yes! I love this series. PTW.
Have you been to Dragon's Den? http://www.woodus.com/den/home.php

Of course. I have physical copies of all the games in the series except for Caravan Heart and Joker 2 Pro. It's been my go-to handheld series ever since the days of the gameboy pocket.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 03:24:34 pm »

This looks very interesting. keep up the good work.