Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventures in The Land of Evil  (Read 2200 times)

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventures in The Land of Evil
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:55 pm »

Before we begin, let me clarify that the world we will be exploring together, the horrible land where vampires roam the hillsides and grimelings crawl from sewers, is not actually called The Land of Evil.

It is called Eweecamo, The Enchanted Universe, and here is the face of evil unleashed upon the world of dwarves:

Bordered on almost all sides by evil, with a chewy sinister center, The Enchanted Universe is metal in all but name.

Now on a less serious note, I originally had low hopes for this world (it didn't have quite enough evil for my tastes) and so I did not capture my travels until I released just how strange my encounters had been.
Because of this, I'll be using Legends mode and good old-fashioned story telling to start us off.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in The Land of Evil
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:43:25 pm »

Our adventurer Kem Moonbane, began life as a peasant.
In retrospect going out into a world filled with evil with the lowest possible stats wasn't such a good idea, but that's besides the point now.
A member of The Empire of Heaven and the Roasted Coalition, Kem started out in the town of Soundferried with no clothes and only a copper spear and dagger to his name (I don't recall picking outsider as well, but I rolled with it).

Soundferried had a delightful history of being assaulted by vampires, undead, werecreatures, or any combination thereof.
Seeing goblins surrounding me in the city keep, I intended to slaughter them all, but the low fps caused by thousands of merchants compelled me to leave the tower sans murder.
Passing through the streets by 'T'ravelling, I notice a small * moving towards me, so I stop to investigate. While I walk towards the ruckus and crowds of fleeing people, some goblin filth tries to speak to me, so I stab him in the skull giving me the one kill listed above.

The cause of all the commotion reveals itself to be a Grimeling Recruit, which I quickly dispatch (with the "help" of a Tanner who steals my kill). I can only assume that in a world this terrible, and a town so surprisingly well developed in said world, that the Grimeling was somehow formed of sewage waste and slithered up through the city drain.

For those of who have read this far, you're in luck:
My exodus outside of the city was where I decided to start documenting things, and my next post will contain our next (and latest) fight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:03:13 pm by Duul »

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:00:48 pm »

Here's where we truly begin.
In the foothills I encountered a Olm Man Spearman vampire, who punched me in the chest and bruised my heart.

As you can probably tell from this brilliantly edited picture, I'm standing next to the vampire and fighting it among a herd of Yaks. If your eyes are sharp, you may spy a (raven?) boss approaching from the North. At the time of this image, I had no idea what was going on and was just trying to injure the vampire drink it's sweet, sweet olm blood. Purely to help me survive, of course.

I land my first blow in the fight, opening an artery (good), but unfortunately not doing any fatal damage (bad). I also take my first glance at the Boss from the North; her name is Theta.

I dodge around for a little more, but nothing really happens except for Theta getting a little closer. I drink the vampire's blood, but as you'll see later it didn't really work.

What's this? Theta has joined the fight! I have no idea who this woman is, what she's doing with a blowgun, or even what she is, but I accept the assistance of this self-styled Van Helsing nonetheless.
I might continue the tale later when I get the time, so feel free to put in requests on what I should do next (in general, not in this fight).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:12:30 pm by Duul »

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »

This Theta character sounds interesting.

I suggest you create a character to go on a quest to become a Necromancer and then, if possible, an evil-weather thrall/husk/zombie. Become the mega-lich and make the world that slight bit more evil.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:49:05 pm »

This Theta character sounds interesting.

I suggest you create a character to go on a quest to become a Necromancer and then, if possible, an evil-weather thrall/husk/zombie. Become the mega-lich and make the world that slight bit more evil.

Interesting suggestion, although I will try to become a vampire first to double my strength, then become a thrall (because I know that works). I'm not sure if a vampire thrall can then become a necromancer, but if I can't at least I'll be strong enough to kill literally anything. As you'll see later, Theta (while interesting), is not particularly helpful.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:14:12 am »

Anyway, continuing where we left off, this nice "r" lady boss was helping us hunt vampires.

Or maybe not. Whilst I continue to valiantly battle the vampire, Theta seems comfortable standing about 20 feet away, occasionally shooting blowdarts.

All right, I guess that moved the vampire Theta. A+ for effort. The important thing is that while Kem is playing pin the spear in the vampire olm, he takes a bite to the stomach, becoming nauseous.

Ever wonder why vampires are so hard to kill? The only thing that can kill them is bloodloss or rendering the body inoperable (i.e. decapitation, pulping, severing the torso). The slash this olm just took would have caused all but the most mighty mortal to give in to pain. However this vampire has an edge over even "normal" vampires: it's an animal man, meaning it only has the feral thought to attack, rather than the more civilized human, dwarf, or elf instinct to flee first.

After throwing up my delicious carp lunch, I break the vampire's leg, causing a loss in speed. Maybe I can finally kill this thing and talk to Theta about why she's being such a sissy.

Or.... not. The vampire gets a lucky shot to the head, knocking me out. I'm not sure if I ever became a vampire from that blood, but after about 6 pages of her tearing my head apart, I'm not sure it really matters. Goodbye Kem, we hardly knew ye. I guess this just goes to show that in the Enchanted Universes, no one is safe from the all-encompassing, ever-present, death. It truly was inevitable.

I hope to continue with a new adventurer soon to try and figure out all this craziness (I'll document from the start I promise!) but until then feel free to throw out suggestions (as the lovely Kolnukbyne has already done).

May Armok be with you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:51:18 am by Duul »

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:17 am »

Just as a quick question, I've been told (and read on the wiki) that a vampire can become an evil thrall vampire, but does anyone know if an evil thrall vampire can become an evil thrall vampire necromancer?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 02:43:45 am »

Can you read? I think that's the only hard and fast thing that will stop you besides being a totally unsuitable race.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:00 am »

Can you read? I think that's the only hard and fast thing that will stop you besides being a totally unsuitable race.
Do you need eyes to read?
Im pretty sure thralls can see without eyes, has anyone tried?

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:51:38 am »

Just a quick update, our new adventurer has arrived:

This time we'll start as a demigod (although that still may not help) and try to embark in the same general position, a civ conveniently located near the heart of evil itself, Dur Caspa.
It would appear that humans are the dominant race of this world, whether they're actually more skilled at fighting evil or simply better at procreating is anyone's guess.

When I start an adventurer, I usually go for a mighty warrior (at the cost of his mental faculties). Supreme strength will ensure that I reach superhuman strength faster (which will be multiplied by 2 as a vampire, then by 3 as a thrall) and endurance and toughness will help keep me alive in doing so. High willpower is supposed to keep you from passing out before we reach vampire mode, and I just threw some kinesthetic and spatial sense just so he'll have an idea where everything is. As for weapons, I think that a big great axe cannot be beat, anything that bleeds you hack apart, and anything that doesn't you smash flat with the other end. And who needs shields? We only need armor! As for the necessities, I add swimmer, climber, reader, and a little fighter just for the heck of it.

Once I pick out a suitable name (which I hope he lives up to), I make sure to start in the same town and that's that. I just happen to be a worshipper of The Gleams of Glistening, the goddess of light. Very well, that is what I shall be: A light cast into the darkness, ready to shine.

Now we see what poor Kem saw all those (in-game) days ago: A room filled with goblins!
I heavily lean towards slaughtering them all, but as for what, how, and why I do it, tune in next week for:
ADVENTURES IN THE LAND OF EVIL

Eastep

• Bay Watcher
  • Puppysicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 06:05:15 am »

This has been pretty great so far. I wonder how quickly this hero will die...
Forgotten Beasts just want to be loved!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:32 am »

I do question starting with zero levels in Dodger and only going for average agility.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:42 am »

I do question starting with zero levels in Dodger and only going for average agility.
No man questions Ejas Legendgilt!
Anyways, let's continue on with the story. When we last saw our hero, he was trapped in a room with not one, or two, but three goblins! Let's see what happens:

One of the goblins, an "exalted consideration", attempts to talk to me. I attempt to refuse conversation but end up complimenting him instead. Damn my stunted social skills!
Well then, exalted consideration, CONSIDER THIS YOUR DEMISE!

You can probably imagine how this fight went against three unskilled goblin nobles, but feel free to spread any awesome story you can make up.

This is the lone survivor of the attack, I spared this goblin sympathizer only because he's human (and also to ask about any nearby vampires). Unfortunately (for him) he refuses to speak with me because I killed the goblin filth.
However, using my incredible guile

I coerce some answers out of him anyway.

I ask him about any troubles and he gives me probably the weirdest statement I've ever heard in this game. He's not incorrect, because he is the last surviving member of the site's government, but here he is standing amidst the fresh corpses of presumably his close friends, talking to the killer of nearly his entire government, and he says he heard that his government waited out an insurrection? I'll attempt to leave the lag-infested city soon and raid the nearby tomb for gear. Stay tuned for more adventures, and may Armok be with you.