Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant trees  (Read 1143 times)

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant trees
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:07:54 am »

I want more nether caps to grow, not some goblin caps. But I have no control over how trees multiply. It seems that I can't even remove any young saplings in the game.

My suggestion: make it possible to propagate and plant the desired tree species. In real life, it's possible with most trees.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Plant trees
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »

I think it's planned. It's part of the whole fruit orchard thing, but Toady hasn't implemented a good way to designate it yet.

Edit:
Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
Yep. Apparently soil moisture and nutrient tracking is also planned. I wonder what that'll do to saplings popping up everywhere?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:17:47 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:53:50 pm »

Just as addition it would be great to be able to build "dirt walls" or fill chanels with dirt. This + planting trees, flowers, bushes = elves will die out of envy. We could build something like hanging gardens and other green building.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:32:22 pm »

Would be interesting if only Elves started with the secrets of tree growing.
You'd have to send an adventurer to plunder their library before you got started.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:47 am »

Or perhaps as part of the the new tavern update, one of the types of travelers that could visit your fortress could be an elven plant master (or something like that).  You could trade with them for them to teach one of your dwarves how to propagate trees.  It would make the decision to start a war with the elves a bit more difficult, at least in theory.  Seriously though, who has to think twice about boiling the flesh of those tree-huggers with magma along with their precious "grown-wooden" garbage.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:08:07 am »

Bumber, thanks for the link. I'm glad that it is planned, at least in the future.

Speaking of implementation. On the surface, I can remove undesired tree saplings just by building a dirt road into their square. But at the moment, this is not possible underground for some reason.

I'm not a leet programmer, but I can see several ways to implement tree planting/removing:
*Make saplings removable like buildings (by selecting them and clicking x). Or make them dumpable.
*Allow building dirt roads on top of undesirable saplings, even underground.
*Add the option to harvest saplings from a living tree by using the designation menu (the same one where you designate mining). Allow the resulting saplings to be selected and placed, just like slabs.
*Allow fruits to produce seeds after eating them, just like normal crops. Also, just in case, allow us to disable this seed-producing in the orders menu.
*Just in case, add the option to burn saplings in the wood furnace menu. This will help get rid of excessive saplings.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »

I'm not a leet programmer, but I can see several ways to implement tree planting/removing:
*Make saplings removable like buildings (by selecting them and clicking x). Or make them dumpable.
*Allow building dirt roads on top of undesirable saplings, even underground.
*Add the option to harvest saplings from a living tree by using the designation menu (the same one where you designate mining). Allow the resulting saplings to be selected and placed, just like slabs.
*Allow fruits to produce seeds after eating them, just like normal crops. Also, just in case, allow us to disable this seed-producing in the orders menu.
*Just in case, add the option to burn saplings in the wood furnace menu. This will help get rid of excessive saplings.
Clearing isn't an issue. Designation would be the easiest, and I think stockpiles currently kill saplings as well. The issue with planting using building is that the tree must occupy the building space after it grows (probably leading to a game crash right now as it stands.) That's a good idea about using material selection to determine tree type, though. Maybe a construction is a better choice? They're handled slightly differently, so maybe they could be used to just place a sapling without adding extra stuff in the tile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?