Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What he heck is a "starved freak"?  (Read 1799 times)

FruitBird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What he heck is a "starved freak"?
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:38:54 pm »

What the hell is a "starved freak"? I was going through my dorfs preferences in therapist and found "Urist Mcweirdo likes starved freaks for their macabre ways." I cant find anything on them in the wiki, anyone else encountered them? Another dorf apparently liked Coal devils, and no mention of that in the wiki either.
"is this a game or are you trying to describe quantum physics to me holy shit" Friends reaction to me describing DF

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What he heck is a "starved freak"?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:41 pm »

They are procedural creatures - produced during worldgen. A starved freak sounds like some sort of night troll, and a coal Devil is obviously some variant of demon.

Never knew they had PREFSTRING tags, certainly interesting.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

FruitBird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:24 pm »

If those are demons I am NOT going to try and catch some for the mood boost. Urist Mcsatanworshipper can look at the crundles I caught and damn well like them
"is this a game or are you trying to describe quantum physics to me holy shit" Friends reaction to me describing DF

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:15:37 am »

Starved freak... i want to bet that this is a variant of those random generated deamons as well.
I am pretty sure i've seen those words on deamons before, just not yet combined like that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:34:51 am »

Night troll, not demon. Not sure if they're trap immune.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 07:48:19 am »

Sounds way more like night troll. You might actually get one to give to this guy as a pet, though I can't recall having many wander into my fort ever. More of an adventure mode thing, though you could probably get hold of coal devils with a GCS and cage traps.
One wheel short of a wagon

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:48:13 am »

It could be a mod. I know Masterwork adds some weird creatures. Are you using any mods? Have you tried looking at their preferences outside of therapist? Just press v then move it near a dwarf and once you see the dwarf on the panel on the right, press z, then enter. It might be something weird with therapist?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »

It could be a mod. I know Masterwork adds some weird creatures. Are you using any mods? Have you tried looking at their preferences outside of therapist? Just press v then move it near a dwarf and once you see the dwarf on the panel on the right, press z, then enter. It might be something weird with therapist?
It's definitely a vanilla night troll:
Not all night trolls are named as such - the possible names, apart from words indicating night, evil, or darkness, include crone, freak, hag, horror, man, monster, ogre, ogress, troll, and woman.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?