Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I continue this comic?

Yes please!
- 23 (92%)
Switching to some other theme/featuring another character please.
- 0 (0%)
Just passing by.
- 2 (8%)
Nah, you might want to do something else.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: MS Paint DF-based Community Adventure - Dokem's quest  (Read 15820 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
MS Paint DF-based Community Adventure - Dokem's quest
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »

Hello-o there, dear Bay watchers. It's me again. This time, I came up with yet another community-related idea. I've been thinking of starting a MS Paint adventure thread, like, you know, Likot, or The Littlest Cheesemaker, or many other awesome stories. Unfortunately, I've been kinda unsure about my linguistic skills (not that I suck at English completely, but creative writing still fails me), and my artistic skill aren't really much to talk about (Also, my experience with GIFs or advanced digшtal graphics programs, exept for Photoshop maybe, is rather limited). Anyway, I decided to give a try.

I don't really have any particular plans on the plot, character design, or even art style. Maybe, something like this:

(Had to resize the dwarf a bit. MS Paint is quite bad at this.)

Well, it's all up to you. I can make it even more pixel-y, or try making something in higher resolution. Same with the plot. The only requiremnt is that it must be based on Dwarf Fortress universe. Crazy transdimentional cyberpunk adventure? Existential search of a cave-dwelling frog man? Story of someone trying to find their true calling? Again, you decide.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:40:20 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: MS Paint DF-based Community Adventure interest check.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:22:33 pm »

sounds interesting.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:32 pm »

Ohh I like your art style. Reminds me of those 4 panel comics in the newspapers.

More MS Paint shenanigans are always welcome. Its awfully difficult to even get started on something like this (I myself dabble in MS Paint tomfoolery, but I'm hardly motivated), so I wouldn't worry about the bells and whistles, like GIFs and so on. Don't really have any ideas to contribute at the moment, but you have definitely piqued my interest, and I would like to see more!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:34:45 pm by Zuglarkun »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:34:57 am »

Well, thanks for sharing your opinions, mates. Still, not too much backfeed here... Let's get started anyways, people might catch up, my art might suddenly improve and so on.

Meet Captain Basic S. Bobblehead. They will guide you through the very first stages.

You know the drill, guys. Every attribute goes from "Very Low" to "Superior". To add a level, you must spend a certain amount of points. "Very Low" costs nothing, "Low" costs 1 point. "Below average" costs 1 point, "Average" costs 1 point as well, "Above average" costs 5, "High" costs 10, "Superior" costs 20.

Also, what about the nation our hero probably belongs to? Are they a dwarf, a human, or maybe a cookie man? I don't really know, you may use any race, even modded, although I'd wish to stick to something that is easier to draw.

You have some notes about their appearance? Feel free to share your ideas! Well, in fact, you can describe the character at once, mentioning both appearance and traits.

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »

dwarf with ginger beard and supreme agility + crossbowship.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 12:47:34 pm »

Pink-haired goblin/Holistic Spawn hipster with freakishly-oversized glasses and above average Creativity and Disease Resistance, but below-average Patience. He's still a marauding monster that plunders and pillages his way across the landscape, he just... y'know... does it ironically.

E: Although... I do find the frogman idea cute.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:56:49 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 12:52:35 pm »

Pink-haired goblin/Holistic Spawn hipster with freakishly-oversized glasses and above average Creativity and Disease Resistance, but below-average Patience. He's still a marauding monster that plunders and pillages his way across the landscape, he just... y'know... does it ironically.

+

dwarf with ginger beard and supreme agility + crossbowship.

pink-haired dwarf with freakishly oversized glasses and above average  Creativity and Disease Resistance, proficient crossbowdwarf and below-average Patience

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »

All great, but can I just stipulate that it be in a world where raw duplication has or is about to occurr?

Yes, I do like Salvadore Dali, thanks :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:26:29 am »

Goblin idea sounds pretty good, because of some plans I had for the story. Alright, here we go. (The glasses look somewhat wonky, though I have a shot of his face without them).

This character has two new traits!:

Gonzo Journalism: Resistance to chemicals is raised by 50%.

Born to destroy: All weapons, armor and clothing wear out 30% faster.

Do you wish to use this character, edit him or create a new one?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:23:42 am by Monitor Lisard »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

use him. add some sort of picyure to his shirt, like 'damn the world' or something

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

All great, but can I just stipulate that it be in a world where raw duplication has or is about to occurr?

Who knows, that might happen... Later in-game.

use him. add some sort of picyure to his shirt, like 'damn the world' or something

Was thinking about something like this, just didn't come up with a suitable phrase. Oh, and I'd also use one one of the in-game languages for that.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who knows, that might happen... Later in-game.

Was thinking about something like this, just didn't come up with a suitable phrase. Oh, and I'd also use one one of the in-game languages for that.

Something super super pretentious like "LIFE IS DEATH, CREATION IS DESTRUCTION, LOSING IS FUN" or something

Also I really like the drawing.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A male dwarf. Green eyes. Yellow-blonde beared and hair.  He would be of a clerical job position if there is such as one.  He dresses up like a pimp if there is such.  Prefers mace for weapon.  Adamantly hates undead.  Likes cave wheat brews, green gems, and the color purple. More toughness, endurance, and social awareness and the cost of less creativity, patience and musicality.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: MS Paint DF-based Community Adventure interest check, now getting started.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »

Since so many (well, relatively) people have asked for a dorf character, I'm inclined to add a parallel storyline featuring this character. Still designing him, though.

Also, a new print.

This is a pig tail shirt. The inscription on it says "Fail = Joy" in goblin language, although common letters are used.

This guy's adventure is about to begin.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:30:08 pm by Monitor Lisard »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MS Paint DF-based Community Adventure interest check, now getting started.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 02:32:53 pm »

Crap, I just noticed he needs a name... uh, how about "Dokem"? It's Goblin for "pink".

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7