Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is Shallow Metal far more important than Deep Metal?  (Read 16669 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Is Shallow Metal far more important than Deep Metal?
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:15:44 pm »

Just occurred to me that all Iron Ores are Sedimentary, as is Tin (for Bronze when no Iron is available).  Sure Deep Metal gets you stuff like Gold, Silver, and various alloy reagents; but a couple decent Jewelers can transform even Copper crafts into amazing value.  So I'm wondering if I should be prioritizing Shallow Metals (plural) when choosing a site.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Shallow Metal far more important than Deep Metal?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »

If your goal is more weapon-grade metals, then yes I'd say. Just remember that the shallow metals indicator doesn't immediately guarantee anything. I tend to embark on both shallow and deep metal sites, just so I have the greater chance to fall back on something if my original plans don't work out.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:30:17 pm »

Cassiterite is found in granite(granite is metamorphic stone) and hematite can be found in extrusive igneous layers.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

Ah, quite right.  Hematite can be found a bit further down.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:03:25 pm »

Cassiterite is found in granite(granite is metamorphic stone) and hematite can be found in extrusive igneous layers.

Granite is actually igneous intrusive.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »

Igneous Extrusive = Obsidian

I.e. You can find iron deposits in Volcanoes.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »

I.e. You can find iron deposits in Volcanoes.
Sure, usually directly under your goblin repository.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »

Careful with shallow and deep metals, I ended up getting zinc, galena, and to rub salt in the wounds, native silver everywhere.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 10:09:31 pm »

Careful with shallow and deep metals, I ended up getting zinc, galena, and to rub salt in the wounds, native silver everywhere.

You can use the zinc and lead to power level your blacksmiths / metalcrafters, and silver to make warhammers until you can get better materials off of caravans or dead gobbos.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:25 pm »

In my experience sedimentary layers are far more likely to contain iron ore than igneous or metamorphic layers. Which is why if i specifically target iron, i go for coastal zones with shallow metal and sand/clay.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 07:58:51 am »

As others have said, iron is most common either on the coasts or near volcanoes, though I have occasionally found it in deep sites around magma pools.

One thing my current embark has driven home though... I would rather embark on a site with wood/charcoal and flux but no iron, than wood/charcoal and iron but no flux.  Without a flux layer, you are dependent on the dwarven caravan, and there's no way they can bring enough to make even a borderline steel industry possible.  Occasionally you get lucky and get marble (which for whatever reason, doesn't show as flux on the site finder) but really at that point you are reduced to buying anything steel from the dwarven caravan and melting it down.  Which blows.  Nothing is more shameful than having your dwarves out scavenging spent steel bolts from caravan guards.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »

Silver maces and arrows for everyone!
The silver is responsible for this How?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:26 pm »

Silver maces and arrows for everyone!

yaayyy!

Even if you have a site with no metal whatsoever, it's still possible to make bone armor, crossbows and bolts.

You make weapons from the dead you made, most likely with weapons.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 01:01:20 am »

If you want a high chance of getting the most possibly diverse embark metalwise, just embark in the middle of a biome intersection with 3 or more biomes. I usually get the entire package in those type of embarks

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 12:01:09 am »

You can use the zinc and lead to power level your blacksmiths / metalcrafters, and silver to make warhammers until you can get better materials off of caravans or dead gobbos.

You are implying that there is a better weapon than a silver warhammer? Naturally the gold and platinum varieties... but talking artifacts is cheating! You'd be best just making everyone a silver hammerer and channeling any other metals into armor.  Silver hammers are more or less on par with addy edged weapons from the item testing arena. 

To the OP, this is a quote straight form the wiki: "Sedimentary layers are, on average, the most economically valuable of the four stone layers."  Not only do they contain -all- iron ores, but they also have two different flux stones as possible layers (dolomite, limestone, and chalk).  Aaaaaaaaand it is the only layer that contains coal and lignite. To sweeten the deal, it also contians Kaolinite (porcelain!).  As has already been said, outside of igneous extrusive (volcanoes and vents) with its hematite, no other layer type has iron.  Considering that sedimentary layers are also the only source of tin... this layer is your make or break for military production... Granted, you have to be near a volcano to lack a sedimentary level, but you could look for "shallow metals" and "flux stone" as your highest priorities when finding a site.  Flux stone is notorious for giving false positivies, but if you want iron/steel (or at least bronze) production, you want your richest diversity of metals to be on the surface. 
Pages: [1] 2