Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal(/War-)Training and Breeding  (Read 4267 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Animal(/War-)Training and Breeding
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:00:28 pm »

Do war-trained (domesticated egg-laying) animals not breed?
Or is 56 already over the limit for one species of animals?
I thought that limit was somewhere around 100 or more.

They aren't getting disturbed, their eggs are not allowed for cooking and no stockpile stores them, so they never get touched. They also had enough time to hatch.
They had been breeding fine before I war-trained and used them to slaughter some naked invaders.

I hope the 6000+ dead I had so far in Violentlash aren't causing any problems, but then again, I think the sheep are still breeding fine.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal(/War-)Training and Breeding
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:07:17 pm »

Pretty sure the limit is 50, actually.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:53:44 pm »

That's why I use the dfhack petcapremover.

It's the only way to get a good amount of quickly multiplying creatures (fowl) before slaughtering the weak. Besides, my economy is based around totems and bones.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »

Interesting. I thought it was at 100 and feared I had screwed myself by war-training all my Jabberers or something.
Last time I hit the cap it was with Cave Crocs - obviously they multiply so fast, I ended up with 100+ from just one breeding. Butchered a lot of the males and when they bred again I had over 600 of them (12 nests with eggs hatched).

Still kinda sad, I was hoping to reach 100+ Jabberers. Well, guess I will have to live with 56, they already seem quite deadly against disarmed invaders.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »

Butcher 7 of them and the eggs should all hatch.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:52:17 pm »

On a side note, for selective breeding for desirable traits, is there an easy way to see which animals to slaughter based on stats, other than just guessing and seeing which animal gets dragged off to the butcher? I wish you could view stats in the animal screen.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:18:27 am »

On a side note, for selective breeding for desirable traits, is there an easy way to see which animals to slaughter based on stats, other than just guessing and seeing which animal gets dragged off to the butcher? I wish you could view stats in the animal screen.
AFAIK parent stats have no effect on offspring; the only selection you can do is to pick ones with good stats for each generation, and hope the next generation gives you something worth keeping.

Stats aren't the world though, war animals in general aren't that great.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 01:51:32 am »

DT's animal tab provides stats for the animals. You can also order slaughtering from there.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:32 am »

AFAIK parent stats have no effect on offspring; the only selection you can do is to pick ones with good stats for each generation, and hope the next generation gives you something worth keeping.

You can most certainly breed for size, which is an essential part of the effectiveness of war animals. I believe additionally that you can breed for stats, but am not entirely sure.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:23:04 am »

Last I heard (.34) all creature traits were random on birth, and I haven't heard of anything changing around that. Can't see why size would be handled differently, other than it not being an attribute.

You can most certainly breed for size, which is an essential part of the effectiveness of war animals. I believe additionally that you can breed for stats, but am not entirely sure.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:26:19 am »

In my experience, War Animals almost always become 'gigantic' & 'muscular', so selective breeding as such seems like unnecessary micro.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »

There's inheritance. Even some of toady-logs mention breed-generation. There used to be thread about selection and eugenics. Mental parameters are randomized physical are not.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »

I use dwarf therapist in the lazy newb pack for that. You can allocate slaughter from there.

Maybe it's imagination, maybe it's eugenics, but all my chickens are above average size and muscularity. I started with some weak, some strong and slaughtered the weak.

The second generation had no "weak" but some "below average"

The third generation had no "below average".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:05:16 pm by StumpytheOzzie »
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.