Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is Shallow Metal far more important than Deep Metal?  (Read 16552 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Shallow Metal far more important than Deep Metal?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 04:23:05 am »

Careful with shallow and deep metals, I ended up getting zinc, galena, and to rub salt in the wounds, native silver everywhere.

Lead minecarts for the win.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:25 am »

I tried making everything silver, from hammer weapon traps to hammerdwarves, but an unexpected flood when trying to create a waterfall in the dining room came in tandem with an organic fire-breathing FB in the first cavern layer.

And then the goblins came.

I didn't even have time to set up a barracks.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 12:37:25 pm »

I tried making everything silver, from hammer weapon traps to hammerdwarves, but an unexpected flood when trying to create a waterfall in the dining room came in tandem with an organic fire-breathing FB in the first cavern layer.

The silver is responsible for this How?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 07:27:53 am »

Most likely the high value of the silver weaponry attracted the FB and gobbies before he was ready. The water flooding was just co-incidental.
I just wish you could make silver crossbows.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:38 am »

The smell of silver is widely known to be irresistible to flaming and dusty FBs, as well as goblins.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:19 am »

Most likely the high value of the silver weaponry attracted the FB and gobbies before he was ready. The water flooding was just co-incidental.
I just wish you could make silver crossbows.

Me too.  Your crossbow dwarves would be unstoppable as they bash and shoot Gobbos.

Making crossbows from said gobbos will have to do.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 12:42:51 pm »

You could add the [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] tag to silver and just go on with your day. Ironically I do that to Aluminum cause it's so light weight.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »

You could add the [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] tag to silver and just go on with your day. Ironically I do that to Aluminum cause it's so light weight.

Lots of times I made it so all metals are usable for weapons.

Masterwork Platinum Warhammers, anyone?

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 09:27:10 pm »

Should sig that.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:14 pm »

Should sig that.

I would be honored to have said something worthy of sigging.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

Masterwork Platinum Warhammers, anyone?
Part of my standard setup is 'likes warhammers'=smith and a nugget or two of platinum on embark.  Its like the enemy is made of explodium.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around
Pages: 1 [2]