Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: (SG) The Children of Life  (Read 9233 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
(SG) The Children of Life
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:32:59 pm »

Very loosely inspired by a certain game franchise.

The first thing you know upon waking up is darkness. You force your eyes open, only to be greeted with a pitch black void pressing down upon you.

The second thing you realize is that your body has been suspended in some sort of slimy feeling substance.  As you experimentally grope your arms through your surroundings the goo sloshes around, and you soon discover that you’re in a tightly enclosed space. You can feel smooth curved walls surrounding you on all sides. Reaching down, you discover yourself to be lying on your back atop a small raised platform within the pod, just an inch or two above the floor.

Eventually your explorations manage to discover a small air pocket at the top of whatever container you’ve found yourself in. It’s only an inch thick, without room to fit your head through, but curiously you realize that you have no need to breath, despite being submerged in this mysterious slurry. Are you even breathing at all? How did you get here in the first place?

Giving up on those questions, you lay like this for some time. Even though you’re trapped in this small enclosure, you strangly can’t help but feel... calm in this place. It’s warm, and something about this dark enclosure feels comforting as the slime embraces you on all sides. But even so it's not like you can stay like here forever can you?

[] Try to break free
[] Stay put.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:30:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of Life (SG)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »

Try to break free.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »

nah. stay put. They'll come for us.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »

.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:28:15 pm »

[X] Try to break free

Alright, it’s nice in here, but enough’s enough!

You first try to call for help, but your shouts are drowned out by the bitter slime that pours into your mouth. It’s enough to make you give up on that plan immediately as you frantically try to expel the foul tasting fluid from your body.

With the chances of outside help looking slim, you pull back your arms as much as you’re able to, and prepare to try and break your way out of the pod. The stone -or is it clay?- walls felt pretty solid when you felt it earlier, but you don’t have any other choice at this point. At the very least the banging noises might be able to alert anyone who’s out there. Feeling your hands clenching into fists, you close your eyes as you mentally steady yourself, expecting a painful impact on your knuckles with the solid rock. Thrusting your fists up aimed right at the air pocket, your hands slam into the ceiling and you cry out as they feel... …nothing?

Your eyes shoot open, and are greeted with your first glimpses of light. Through the red haze from the slime you’re immersed in, you can see your fists reaching into the air, two jagged holes busted straight through the top of your prison. How did you… you grasp at the sides of the holes and pull at them. The material quickly cracks and gives way as you pull yourself out, the slime spilling out of the cavity you’ve torn in the front of what you now see was a brown oval shaped pod.

Now that you’re up, you take a moment to brush the remaining slime off of your clothes. Your outfit looks innocuous enough… you think? Now that you think on it, you don’t really know where your outfit came from. Or anything much else either. Waking up in that pod was the first thing you can remember. Everything before that is just a great big blank! Or maybe there never was anything before that?

You glance around, and your eyes quickly settle on the main light source, a jagged glowing white crystal strung up from the ceiling like a lantern. It pulses slowly, and provides barely just enough light for you to see that the floor is covered in an odd pattern of symbols… looking at them they seem vaguely familiar, and in the back of your head something whispers that they’re the alchemical language.

You bend down and kneel to try and examine them, but between the dust, the scuff marks, and the dim glow, you’re unable to tell what they mean. You give up and look around the room a bit more. Everything is covered in a film of dust. There’s a set of wooden stairs in the front, leading up to what looks like a trap door. You can see a dim light coming through from the edges of them. The only other objects of note are a grey wooden desk covered in broken shards of glass and odd stains, and…

Your eyes immediately settle on what looks to be yet another pod. Identical to your own and set right next to it. This pod remains whole and you can a numeral is emblazoned across its intact surface. You recognize it, having earlier found another number stamped on…

[] The back of your left hand, reading XII. The pod however reads XIII.
[] The back of your right hand, reading XIII. The pod however reads XII.

Your contemplating of this however, is interrupted when a hand smashes its way through the top of the pod, sending fragments flying throughout the room. You shield your face with your hand and cough from the cloud of dust that has been sent into the air.

[] Go and help them get out.
[] Jump back and get into a fighting stance.
[] Ignore them and go do something else.
  [] Continue examining the room’s contents.
    [] What part?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:27:40 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:59 pm »

The back of your left hand, reading XII. The pod however reads XIII.

help them out (not that they need it)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:59:07 am »

+1

Innocuous or not, what does our clothing actually look like? What do we look like?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »

+1

Innocuous or not, what does our clothing actually look like? What do we look like?
+1
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 12:57:41 pm »

[X] The back of your left hand, reading XII. The pod however reads XIII.

Spoiler: Number XII (click to show/hide)

Along with the XII on the back of your hand, each of your forearms are marked with an irregular line running down their backs. They look almost like large scars.  Your clothes keep these markings proudly on display, as you’re wearing a white short sleeved wool shirt with a string the neck closed, and orange trim on the edges of the sleeves. Over your shirt is a simple open brown vest with buttons on it. Finally you also have a pair of course pants fastened by a leather belt, and a pair of thick boots worn over them.

[X] Go and help them get out.

You quickly rush over to help your fellow. You aid them in smashing open the rest of their pod, ignoring the red slime that gushes out to join the slime from your pod on the floor. Then you grasp their hand and help pull them out, carefully keeping them steady.

Once they’re up and able to stand on their own, you step back and are able to take a good look at them.

Spoiler: Number XIII (click to show/hide)

The occupant of the other pod was a girl, looking to be around the same age as you. She’s thin and tall in stature, with a sharp jaw and a pointed nose. Her dirty blonde hair is done up in a single braid coming from the back of her head, with two smaller tuffs of hair held together by hair wraps framing her face. The girl is wearing a simple green dress over a white blouse, and has a dark red sash over her waist. She looks to be wearing white pants and a pair of brown shoes under her dress, and on her shins is… is that armor?  The plates look to be bronze as far as you can tell.

She finishes brushing off the slime sticking to her dress and looks at you in turn. The two of you simply stare at each other for a moment, illuminated by the flickering light of the crystal. You wonder if she has any more of an idea of where you are and how did you get here. You’re vaguely aware of noise coming from the upstairs.

[] Write in __
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:58:13 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:03:50 pm »

Attempt a cautiously optimistic greeting, then inspect the desk while conversing with the girl.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:02:41 pm »

Converse about what? Please be more specific.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »

Ask if she knows where we are or what's going on. Ask her what her name is.

From the numerals, I'm guessing she's probably our clone sister, or something like that.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:42 pm »

What is our name any way?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:40:43 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »

Converse about what? Please be more specific.
I meant "Greet her. While listening to her response, move toward the desk and start looking at it. Any response we have to her greeting should be done while inspecting the desk." I didn't want to stat discussing philosophy and ethics or Pokemon yet, just "greet the person and get a feel for their emotional state, especially in relation to ourself."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:43 pm »

[X] Talk to her.
  [X] “What’s your name?”
  [X] “Where are we? How did we get here?”
[X] Examine Bench

“…Hi. What’s… your name?” Your voice comes out soft and rusted, not yet use to vocalizing.

With the tension broken, she relaxes and scrunches her face in thought. “I’m… I can’t remember. Sorry.” She replies after a few seconds. So she’s the same as you huh? At least she seems to have had an easier time than you at finding her voice.

“I… don’t suppose you have an idea where we are, would you?” you ask.

“Sorry, no.” she says, shaking her head sadly. “Do you?”

“No.” you reply, trying not to show your disappointment. It was probably too much to ask for. “I only just woke up right before you did. I don’t even know what’s outside that door over there.”

“So I’m guessing you don’t have any idea what this means either right?” She asks, holding up her right hand to display the black XIII written on it.

“No idea, sorry.” You hold up your hand to show her yours. “I’ve got one too though. I think they might be to identify us or something? The… uh pod you were in had the same marking as your hand on it before it was broken open.”

Her face falls, and you turn to the messy workbench in the corner. The grey countertop is covered in dust, but underneath it you can burn marks and faded stains, most identifiable only by a discoloration in the wood, while a few have a red tint that reminds you of the slime you woke up in. You walk to it and bend down to try and get a closer look.

“What are you doing?”

You look over your shoulder at her. “Taking a look around the room.” you answer, turning back to the work bench and casually picking at the discarded shards. “We might as well try to figure out what this place is. No point in standing around waiting for an answer.”

The girl grunts in agreement and starts looking at the symbols on the floor. Maybe she’ll be able to get a better idea of what they mean?

Meanwhile, your investigation of the bench hasn’t wield much. Your best guess as to the broken glass is that they were from a bunch of small containers, but you have no way of knowing what they were supposed to hold. In the back you manage to find a few twisted bits of metal and woodchips, but they’re too small to identify in any way. Checking under the desk finds a chair haphazardly kicked under it.

Maybe the girl has had more luck? “Found anything?” you ask.

“I think there’s something familiar about this writing?” she says, running her hand over the floor. “They’re the… alchemical language right?”

“Yeah, I took a look at them before you woke up. Any idea what they mean?”

She presses her head close to the floor to get a better look. “I recognize this one right here... it’s the symbol for uh blood I think? And these ones over here represent for life and gemstones. A lot of them look like they’ve been smudged out in a hurry. But I think these ones might be… the ones that are intact I mean. They lead up in lines towards our pods. I can sort of see an outline marking their path if I look closely.”’

Your musing is interrupted by a loud crash from the upstairs. The roof shakes, and the crystal lamp swings on its chain, sending shadows dancing around the room. The disturbance is followed by the staccato footsteps of someone running, then followed in turn by a series of loud thumps accompanied by a scraping noise.

[] Investigate the noise
  []  Stay inside, keep listening to the sounds from upstairs.
  [] Open the trapdoor and see what’s going on.
[] Ignore it.
  [] Continue looking around the room.
  [] Keep talking to the girl.
    [] About what? __
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:02:25 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: [1] 2 3 4