Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rapidpapers: Rebuilding Dwarfkind  (Read 873 times)

FableScroll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rapidpapers: Rebuilding Dwarfkind
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »

Hello everybody.

I'm relatively new to DF (and completely new to the forum), and I've never had a chance to see a fortress through to the Fun of sieges and the circus (two or three starved long before, another was lost to HD crash, and then I couldn't play for a while), but when I looked at the legends of this world, I knew I had to do something with it.
The Dwarven civilization has fallen, brought to its knees by a dragon, and the goblins rules the world.

- In a time before time, Odgub (Dwarven god of trade, wealth, jewels, war, and fortresses) aided the gray demon Agthreb Shamefulscandals the Dirge of Seduction in becoming a permanent part of the living world that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege.
- Ziril Jewelsilver the Branded Luxury of Diamonds (the only dragon of this world) burned down most of our fortresses (11 out of the 12 fortresses).
- The demon and the goblins ruled by him never attacked the dwarven civilization, but they waged several wars against the elves and controlled the entire northwest of the world, then Ziril took note and burned it all to the ground, except their capital (and two or three places destroyed by a titan), but they have since started reclaiming their old sites.
- Our Mountainhome, after being ruled by three goblin kings in a row, was destroyed by Spittleugly the Grizzly Snots, a huge humanoid forgotten beast composed of green glass in 329.
- The Elves are still holding on with the two lousy sites they ever founded, even though they had several wars with humans and goblins. The humans have been wiped out by Ziril and a hydra.
- If I read the legends viewer right, there are only a handful of dwarves left alive in the world, and there is no notable dwarven population at any sites.

So Urist McMaddwarf gathered a bunch of dwarves from the wilderness (some dodging and fistfighting skills, competent in one somewhat similar skill: Fishing, Farming, Woodcutting and -crafting, mining and stonecrafting, animal training), somehow convinced them that the voices in his head were messages from the dwarven gods, stole an anvil, some food, and a lot of booze from the goblins (not actual goblin booze on embarkation, but we can pretend), and set out towards the south to find a place to rebuild dwarven civilization. They found a mountain rich in iron ore, and with a (30 z-levels) deep chasm and a waterfall. Little do they know that Ziril's lair is nearby.

I intend to eventually erect a great tower to the glory of Odgub right on top of the waterfall, complete with waterfall based burials and sacrifices. For the time being, I'm just glad I'm surviving.

Also, after copying the files and abandoning the copied fortress, legends mode had this to say:
In the midspring of 1050 The Crafts of Appearing of The Papers of Order at the settlement of Rapidpapers regained their senses after an initial period of questionable judgment.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, DF.

For anybody interested in watching me fumble about:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQVgfDrTe9qtW4Nh9mp_kgRL1qRE6zAkc

I may occasionally post stories of the most noteworthy events, once the fortress gets rolling properly. In fact, I may have a few already, but it is late here, so I'll get around to posting those later.