Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

Blue Cheese!
Rebellious Cheese!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Multiple Embark Bloodline: Minecart Barons (Welcome, Baron WordTurmoil!)  (Read 23059 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Multiple Embark Bloodline challenge: Minecart Barons
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 02:39:56 am »

How do we know where the track ends and at what height?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 02:58:47 am »

What I did was this:
1. Counted squares up from the bottom to the west-most track pillar (wrote it down on a piece of paper)
2. Counted z-levels up from the ground to the track. (added that number to my piece of paper)
3. Saved the game
4. Made a copy of the save file
5. Retired the copy
6. Used the retired copy of the save in adventure mode to travel from Constructblunt to the westernmost edge of The First Mine (to see if the next square was higher or not. 
If it was higher or lower, then I'd subtract or add that level to my track z-level on my piece of paper.
7. Walked adventurer back to Mountainhome and retired him there
8. In Fortress Mode, I can then start a new embark knowing that my tracks will meet up with the ones from The First Mine.

To make it easier for everyone, though, I just did it myself:

The First Mine
West Edge of Track:, 26 squares up from SW corner, 6 Z-lvls high from surface.  Next embark starts from same z-level.  (Each map-square = 48 x 48 embark squares)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:40:10 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:36 am »

I loaded the Minecart Barons year 4 save last night and did the retired and start on the west world map tile. 
The embark is on a 1x16 wide of forest, and next to a cave/lair with Trogglye, Draltha and Large Rat fighting.

First Seven Embark. This is the Wild Frontier, be prepared.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark Items

Fortress Name: Easttrance (Emshelret)
Group Name: The West Wayward Spikes (Sitalonulthocit)

Day 1

1st Moonstone, 4, Early Winter

4th Granite, 5, Early Spring

1st Hematitle, 5, Early Summer
24th Malachite, 5, Mid-Summer

1st Limestone, 5, Early Autumn
Saved, but then I got a DF.exe "is Not Responding" and went to bed.

This is my first time trying something like this.  So I was not sure if I'm to document what I'm doing.
But reading up some more this morning, I am missing the "detail plan" so to speak. 

I figure that I need to get secured first before I can begin the main project, Mine Cart Baron. 
Anyway, I used the marking for designations so I know where to build the pillars to support the minecart tracks. 
From the last retired fortress, the tracks are on z 153, and are about 22 tiles from the north map edge.
So with those measurements, I'll assume they will be in the right spot, going from east to west.

Now, I could have probably made a quick wood pillars and be done, but I am getting more ambitious and my first 7 migrants with nicknames "Mr" or "Ms" showed up.

My first mini-projects was to build 2z wood palisade (walls) z149 to z150, with a wall overhang on the 3rd at z151, and a roof at z152. 

The second mini-project was to square out the existing natural tower of the cave lair that roofed at z154.  This will make a nice track stop midway the east-west tracks and a possible entrance into the palisade, but not the fortress proper itself.

The third project is more of my challenge.  Make the pillars to support the track using Marble Blocks found below. 
Then make the minecart tracks floors made of gold bars.  I was hoping for iron, but there are gold veins below once I delve deeper.

Please let me know if I'm doing this right. Thanks.

p.s. I made some screen shot, but I need to organize my thoughts for their descriptions and upload to imgur or something maybe over the weekend.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:41:09 am by Sanctume »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 02:04:56 pm »

The tracks are 26 squares from the south side (bottom of screen) of the embark zone.  They are on the 26th tile counted from the bottom up.  That would 22nd counting from the north (top of the screen) down, so you're good there. 

Your save file should show all the things you've excavated or built, so knowing in what order you've excavated or built things, is actually really helpful. 

The picks and axes might be able to be confiscated from dwarves of The First Mine and transported to the new site by an adventurer, but the spear, sword and hammer might be a bit more difficult to procure.

However many points you're spending on the dwarves' skills, that will increase the cost of 'buying' them on a 1 to 1 basis with their experience points, so this starting team might be a bit pricey food/drink wise, but that's all part of your "detailed plan", so that's OK too.

The copper armor might also be interesting, but we have a lot of shells and a shell-carving craftsdwarf, so we could probably create seven full sets of shell armor that might do the trick nicely.  We can have the adventurer transport those to the new site too.

Don't know where we'll get the copper nuggets, black sand or white sand, but maybe The Quarry will hit a vein of metal and/or a patch of sand.  There might be exposed metal or sand in that cave lair - sort of sounds like a passage into the Underworld.  It'd be interesting to see if an adventurer could walk from Castle Constructblunt over to that passage - sort of an escape tunnel type of thing.

The raw green glass would come from sand, so same challenge as the sand, and the clay just adds to stuff we'd need to find first.  Not impossible, just not something we've found yet.

if the Gabbro boulders were substituted for Rhyolite, then we'd have that already.

The plump helmets, pig tails and rock nuts all would need to be gathered from the caverns first, so it sounds like the residents of The First Mine would be required to tunnel down a bit to get into them before this embark would be do-able.  All part of the costs of this "detailed plan", so no worries.

With a few challenges, it sounds good so far.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 04:21:32 pm »

Rhyolite is plenty so Gabbro is not needed.  I mean, charcoal can be used as block for the metalsmith's forge.

Actually, 1 mining pick and a copper helm for "safety" can handle the fight with 1 military at embark. 
A Miner+5 skill with no miner labor would still be deadly with maybe Dodger +3 and Discipline +2 initially. 

2 miner embark makes it faster.
I made the palisade perimeter larger than the cave lair, it's actually the max size for a pasture zone, shift+arrow x3.
Whereas the lair structure is about 15 x 22 wide, and protrudes from z149 to z154 roof.

Everyone else can be peasants really, but as I understood that the plan is to kinda make it convenient/faster to finish. 

Seeds aren't needed at this point since I have not even started a farm, and subsists on gathered plants for both brewing and lavish meals.

I brought clay, sand and glass out of habit just in case of moods.  And got more clay from the elf merchant.

Would it be "cheesy" to redo knowing what I will find at in the beginning?

I did not quite understand the limitation of embark must come from the last fortress.

One reason of me considering to re-doing is that I did not keep track of where I built my temporary workshops from day 1. 
Then I just kinda switch focus on the clearing, and building the palisade and digging floor areas as needed.

But on second thought, I do not think 1 military person can kill those 6 kills, albeit 1 at a time, to gain from z149 to z123 worth of secured space.
I mean, after I built a log wall in one choke point heading down, I had the means to turtle inside with a stone door. 

No surface water though, so that means I would be force to dig and look for cavern water sooner if I had sustained injury.

It's been fun. 

Another thought, I used my nickname schemes (m)ale or (f)email <job> / <industry>
"f Food Doc" tells me it's a female handing Food industry and the doctor stuff.
But it's kinda lame reading the story with that generic nickname, and it would be more fun it read "Ms Plumphealer got first kill" instead.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 04:53:49 pm »

Not cheesy at all.  You want to revamp your plan and make it better?  Super!  That will just make it more likely to be voted as "best plan" when the vote comes around.  Don't worry about the names, since the ones on your embark will all be named "Mr" or "Ms" initially, unless someone decides to give one a Clan Name.  Remember: it won't be your save that will be added to the game (assuming it was chosen in the vote), but the results of your save that will be the blueprint that will be followed when that embark actually happens.  The dwarves in your save will have different names because that's how the RNG works - we don't have any control over the "Individual" names, just the "Gender" and "Clan" ones.  I suppose if you just wanted to post a butt-load of images showing everything in your plan, that could work, but an easier way of doing that is posting a link to the save file once you were done with building everything you wanted to build for that track section.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:19:05 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 05:40:24 pm »

Alright, I'll give it another whirl.

I'm still trying to get a grasp of the cost of embark.
So just to check on embark, thinking minimal but effective for me needs besides embarking with 1 steel anvil and 1 copper pick.

1. Skill distribution is ok at the cost of meals in the retired fortress?

2. Having a glimpse of the embark site, stone is not needed.

3. Native Copper Ore is not available in the retired fortress, even though it's shows as available in the prepare embark.
So I'll have to rely on finding ore after embarking.

4. No iron anvil available, but a steel anvil is. So this is a must.

5. 1 copper picks, 2 copper picks would be more ideal if no other metal source. 

6. I have to think of weapons.  Bronze and silver is out it seems, but will copper sword be doable?
I'm thinking non-training wooden spears may be do ok.

7. As for armor, turkey leather ok?  1 set of Leather Armor, Helm, High Boots, Gloves, Trouser and Cloak.

Sorry, I may be over thinking it all.  I could probably just build a wood wall initially, then lay a bunch of cage traps instead :)

But I have another grand plan for the pillars made of marble, and golden minecart tracks!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 07:28:39 pm »

We'll see how it works out. 

Sanctume: you may want to give a dorf a Clan name in the main embark - otherwise, who will be the dwarf credited with bringing forth your "detailed plan"?  (I suppose you could give it to one of the other three "in a dream".)

In other news, the first vote has been posted.  It's not about which "detailed plan" to use in the next embark, but it does affect those who wish to play a dorfed character.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:38:47 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 12:23:33 am »

I would like to take Mr Sanctume Febod if possible.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 02:02:51 pm »

Minecart Barons (rev 2)
Fortress: Easttrail (Emkalan)
Group: The Golden West Spikes (Limulsitalthocit)
Submitted by: Mr Sanctume (Clan Family request pending).

(report status: Submitted) The Design Plan

entry batch 1
Preliminary Narative: Explorers of the western fronteir

28th Sandstone, 4: Strike the Earth: First of Many Blood

entry batch 2
2nd Timber, 4: Cave Clearing is Thirsty Work

5th Timber, 4: Eureka!

7th Timber, 4: Deeper, There Are More

8th Timber, 4, Late Autumn: Deeper, More Find

entry batch 3
12th Timber, 4, Late Autumn: Dig and Plan

Sketch of the Design Plan by Arze and Zefo

entry batch 4
15th  Granite, 5, Early Spring: Filthy Elves are Dumb.

13th Hematite, 5, Early Summer: Fancy Garbage

3rd Malachite, 5, Mid-Summer: Migrants, One Wall Short

1st Limestone, 5, Early Autumn: Thieves!

11th Limestone, 5, Early Aumn: News To Me!

entry batch 5
27th Sandstone, 5, Mid-Autumn: Bad Omen

6th Timber, 5: Festivities

10th Timber, 5, Late Autumn: Strange Mood

17th Timber, 5, Late Autumn: Busy Autumn

12th Moonstone, 5, Early Winter:Cries From Beneath

1st Opal, 5, Mid-Winter:Death

ooc: since it will be the weekend soon, I should focus on the main project of laying down the tracks.
22nd Opal, 5, Mid-Winter:Re-Focus Our Effort

7th Granite, 6,  Early Spring:Fey, Filthy is Back

(report status: posted save game 2015-Sep-20.)
(report status: design plan submitted.

I have some rather long narrative on Word. 
I focused on the project, came up short of marble blocks to pave the surface floor, so I used wood logs instead. 
I also got one crash that set me back about 2 hours of play that I did not save sooner--I think it was a tree growing under my elevataed tracks.
Anyway, the rest are posted on a thread here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:35:35 pm by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »

What I did was this:
1. Counted squares up from the bottom to the west-most track pillar (wrote it down on a piece of paper)
2. Counted z-levels up from the ground to the track. (added that number to my piece of paper)
3. Saved the game
4. Made a copy of the save file
5. Retired the copy
6. Used the retired copy of the save in adventure mode to travel from Constructblunt to the westernmost edge of The First Mine (to see if the next square was higher or not. 
If it was higher or lower, then I'd subtract or add that level to my track z-level on my piece of paper.
7. Walked adventurer back to Mountainhome and retired him there
8. In Fortress Mode, I can then start a new embark knowing that my tracks will meet up with the ones from The First Mine.

To make it easier for everyone, though, I just did it myself:

The First Mine
West Edge of Track:, 26 squares up from SW corner, 6 Z-lvls high from surface.  Next embark starts from same z-level.  (Each map-square = 48 x 48 embark squares)

I had to verify this last night.
Loaded the original y4 save before retire.
I used the marker designation only so it's a nice cyan color in Phoebus.

I marked there the track is.
Now when marking, the edge tile is now allowed for digging, but it is included in the 48x48 local map tiles.
So from the top north most,
1 tile edge
11x11
11x11 , the track is on the last, 11th tile of this mark.

As for height, I jotted down z153 where the track is.

I think I got that right.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 02:46:39 am »

Mr Arrowtunnels ("Febod"), has been given the Clan name of "Sanctume".  I'll post his new status as one of the Gentry immediately.  (I've already updated his name to "Mr Sanctume" in-game.)

Once this embark is able to pay the base cost of a new embark wagon + 7 unskilled peasants, then I'll put a vote up for which ever "detailed plan" has been posted before then. 
For a "detailed plan" to be valid, it needs to
1. Continue the tracks toward the goal.  If other embarks can't join to those tracks because, in the plan, the tracks end before they get to the edge of the map, this isn't a good plan.
2. A link to the save file is posted showing the way the embark is supposed to look at all levels.  If the save file cannot be uploaded and looked at to see which block/track/whatever goes where, it's not a valid plan.

If your carefully detailed plan isn't used, because
1. It wasn't ready when the vote was called
2. Another one won the vote or
3. The plan that was submitted wasn't valid,
  You can try again with the next upcoming embark and attempt to put your mark on that one instead.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:05:05 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:27 am »

This is cool, thanks.

It's Friday 2015-09-18 now, so to submit a "detailed plan" to be qualified for vote, the save file must be uploaded by Sunday?
I just want to make sure my game actually finish making the tracks, as I still have not started on that "main project," but enjoying narrating things nonetheless.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »

Yes. That's only, of course, if the caravan doesn't decide to come onto the map at a place "the Depot is inaccessible" again (like last week.)  If that happens again, I'll probably be clear-cutting a swath of trees along each side leading to the road from the Mountainhomes so that they'll actually path around to the freakin road rather than just saying "<shrug> oh well - couldn't reach it..."  (All part of the learning process I suppose.)

Your narration was certainly fun to read.  As an exploration/survey team goes, yours seems to be quite dwarfy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:21:09 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 12:12:35 pm »

This is a continuation of my revision 2 "design plan" proposal.
I made a separate post because it involves imgur, and I can't access this from work, so I am posting it from home.

imgur album link: Minecart Baron y4

On to details if you skipped imgur album, hopefully images load ok.

Minecart Baron y4 “design plan” by Forii Sanctume

The Embark Location
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
This proposed embark is on a 1x16 wide of forest. It is directly west of the retired fortress, The First Mine.
Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)

Fortress Name: Easttrail (Emkalan)
The embark begins next to a cave. Expect to handle Draltha, Troglodyte, Large Rats, among a few.
Spoiler: details (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Embark Points (click to show/hide)

z149 Surface
After clearing the cave, I used the designations to mark the general layout.

z148 Pasture Level and Track Location
Counting tiles to line up with the track.

z147 Food Level
Food area layout

Enough of the luxury items, the "design plan" proposal will now focus on the project at hand.

The Full Embark Local Map (48 x 16 = 768 tiles)
The Fortress “Easttrail” is in the middle.

Towers, Pillars, and Trade Depot
The audaciously modest plan is to not only build a track from east to west, but to make the tracks using gold bars.
This lone track will be flanked by marble floors.
This track is elevated above

Tower and Track Goldprint
This is the detailed steps in constructing the tower.

Towers and Pillars Blueprint
This is to measure the distances between towers and pillars

Tower Record Keeping
A good record keeper counts everything.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7