Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

Blue Cheese!
Rebellious Cheese!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Multiple Embark Bloodline: Minecart Barons (Welcome, Baron WordTurmoil!)  (Read 22802 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Baron WordTurmoil of The First Mine

"Down the Tracks"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goal: Lay a continuous Minecart track that connects the Fortress of Abanunal "Constructblunt" (The Works of Watching) to the Fortress of Italkikrost "Neutralstockades" (The Banners of Purity)

Rules of the challenge:
1. 1st Embark is only given 1 copper pick and 1 steel anvil.
2. Turns are updated once an in-game year, when the broker arrives.
3. Only peasants are allowed to have jobs added to them, all others must find work using the skills they turn up with.
4. Only supplies "offered" to a caravan from Abanunal are available as embark supplies after the first embark: Utharavuz "The First Mine". (Caravans are supply warehouses).
5. The only supplies allowed to be bought from the Mountainhome caravan are the ones already listed as "offered" to the caravan previously. 
    Other civs are available to trade with, just as usual.
6. Embarks can be re-claimed to produce more of a particular supply for later embarks.
7. If any previous embark is conquered, adventurers must be sent "up the line" from Castle Abanunal to retake it from the conquerors.
    Multiple adventurers may be required, but once the threat is neutralized, a new embark team will be able to reclaim that section of the track.
8. Any artifacts created during the track-laying must be claimed by an adventurer who departs from Castle Abanunal and transported back there to be stored in the King's chambers.
9. A dorf who has created an artifact will take its name as his or her own Clan Name, beginning a new Clan.

Dwarves in this game name themselves using a three part designation: <Gender title> <Clan name> <Individual name>

New Embarks and "Detailed Plans"
Using the save file, any Player may retire the current fortress on their own computer and create an adjacent embark to continue the track.  Once these saves are posted to the group, they will be considered the "detailed plans" for future embark possibilities.  At the point that an embark has completed its section of track, a vote will be held over which "detailed plan" will be followed for the next section of track.  In the event that there are no "detailed plans" available, then the site that seems the most direct to the goal will be chosen instead. 

Each new embark costs 2,218 prepared meals or drinks + 3 meals (raw is fine) + 5 more drinks + 3 wood logs.  This must be "offered" to the caravan from the Mountainhome and will be immediately deducted from the total stored for future embarks.  The head of each Clan can call a vote on whether to spend surplus prepared food or drink rations in storage to buy a new embark at any time, so that multiple Embarks may be paid for in advance. 
   Why 2,218 + other stuff? Explanation: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152863.msg6495800#msg6495800

The Vote and Clan Influence
Players will have one week from the day a Poll is created to cast their vote.
As mentioned above, Players who have claimed a dwarf and given them a Clan name may add bonus votes to their Poll vote based on the "Influence" of their Clan:

The "vote bonus" simulates the "Influence" that a Clan can have in the politics and culture of the dwarven civilization.  Any time there's a vote, a Forii can post that their Dwarven Clan chooses one option over another and that Clan's bonus will be applied to the votes of that option when they're counted at the end of the poll.  If a Dwarven Clan's preference for one option over another has not been posted before the poll ends, then they are assumed to have abstained from choosing to vote at all and no bonus from that Clan will be counted.

"Ruling Clans" will slowly grow to influence the politics of the game.  A few will grow to have ancient lineages, many generations long and some will be the "New Blood", just risen to the Gentry and eager to make their mark on the world.  Players are free to participate as much as they like after gifting a dwarf with a Clan name, and this too, will simulate how some old Clans just keep going generation after generation, without accomplishing much, while others passionately hoard as much material and political power as they can, striving to be the most powerful of all.

The Pantheon

The Gentry (important families):

Reports:
  End of Year 1   End of Year 2   End of Year 3   End of Year 4   End of Year 5
"End of Year" Report on (a day when RL doesn't swamp me, but I promise it'll look great)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:25:28 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Embark Bloodline challenge: Minecart Barons
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »

Yesss. I've wanted to do something like this ever since I read the Dwarven Railway thread. Don't 100% understand all the rules, but I'll be damned if I dont sign up for a turn.

Will that mean each turn only gets one embark, nothing more? Also are impulse ramps allowed, or will we be running on rollers? (Not that it makes a difference  as adventurers can constantly add momentum)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »

[WANTS_TURN][IS_INTERESTED]
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:29 pm »

The challenge will be played in a "Community Fortress" style, with feedback from the forum determining the priorities of the track-layers, and specific goals of 'dorfed' individuals. 
Updates for each year will be posted as a picture, much like Year 1-2's report, along with the game's current save file, so that people can explore the site and the world in detail.
Clarification on "Family' names:  Any dwarf who has been claimed by a forum member receives a "family" name, which elevates them from the unwashed masses of dwarves to the Gentry who can pass that name to their spouses and children.  The only other time a Dwarf gets to have a Family name, is when they create an artifact, so this is a pretty big deal for them.  These dwarven families get to have a say in what gets passed on to the next set of track workers, and will be chosen first when it comes to any positions of power opening up. (Like Mayor, for instance, or Sheriff.  Later on, Royal appointments could be had, if enough quality goods are "stored" in the caravan to have the Mountainhome offer a position of Nobility.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:35:06 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:52 pm »

Yesss. I've wanted to do something like this ever since I read the Dwarven Railway thread. Don't 100% understand all the rules, but I'll be damned if I dont sign up for a turn.

Will that mean each turn only gets one embark, nothing more? Also are impulse ramps allowed, or will we be running on rollers? (Not that it makes a difference  as adventurers can constantly add momentum)

Rollers are OK but impulse ramps are kind of exploity, so I'm gonna say no to those.  Embarks using the most recent save file would be considered more of a "what if" scenario for future planning purposes, where you could actually show a track/site plan and know how much it would take to build that before designating stuff for that embark in the one we're currently playing.  Shortest duration plan will probably get the nod to become the new embark, but the politics of of 'The Families' might get in the way.  For example, if one Player's family tends to be mostly carpenters, and the track would normally go through a non-wooded area, that Family might use its voting power to choose a slightly less direct path instead, through a wooded area that would allow them to 'bank' more wooden objects in the caravan, and maybe buy more positions of power, or have a greater chance that one of the Family can make an artifact by doing so.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:34 pm »

Mmmmh, can I be dorfed?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:48:41 pm »

Mmmmh, can I be dorfed?

Sure - download the save game and pick one of the dwarves to give a Family name.  (It would also help if you designated what that name would be, if it's not your forum name.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:12:33 am »

I wanted to test it out in my smaller region world.

Now I wonder, are Constructed Tracks immune from destruction similar to constructed walls? 

I may have put a more stricter goal for myself:
z+0 build parallel walls made of logs from east to west so there is a built in 1 tile wide tunnel.

Then on z+1, build the tracks made of iron bars. 
I haven't found iron yet, but do I construct the floor first, then construct the track so it's between the parallel walls below?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:59 am »

I'd take Mr. Silvergrasped. Change his name to Silversheb if possible.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:12:21 pm »

Fascinating idea, but I'm just curious if the map is actually Central America from the Yucatan to the very northern chunk of South America?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:19 am »

I wanted to test it out in my smaller region world.

Now I wonder, are Constructed Tracks immune from destruction similar to constructed walls? 

I may have put a more stricter goal for myself:
z+0 build parallel walls made of logs from east to west so there is a built in 1 tile wide tunnel.

Then on z+1, build the tracks made of iron bars. 
I haven't found iron yet, but do I construct the floor first, then construct the track so it's between the parallel walls below?

From what I've experimented with, Tracks and floor tiles are similar entities, so your question might be a "chicken and egg" one, but I would do the floors first, then the rails, so that I could keep any undergrowth such as trees from impeding the rails when they finally do get built.  It's actually why I have mine up so high:  The rails are less likely to create an un-enterable area due to a tree growing its branches over the track.  I've heard about a bug like this crashing the game, which would make me have to build a seperate set of tracks around the first if I wanted an uninterrupted ride from one end to the other.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:06:31 am »

Fascinating idea, but I'm just curious if the map is actually Central America from the Yucatan to the very northern chunk of South America?

You have a good eye, sir!  That is precisely what the overall map is based on.  Obviously, the RNG may have changed the channels of some rivers, and I'm amused at the thought of the elves being in the place of the ancient Incan and Aztec civilizations that used to live there.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:41:51 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:14 am »

I'd take Mr. Silvergrasped. Change his name to Silversheb if possible.

"Silvergrasped" is the personal name of the dwarf, which they choose on their own, however, he now has a Family name of "Silversheb", which would make him now "Mr. Silversheb Silvergrasped".  He will be the Patriarch of the Silversheb family from now on.  His spouse and any further ancestors will wear the name Silversheb and be excepted from being able to be chosen by any other Player for dorfing until the end of the challenge (and perhaps beyond).

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Families of The Gentry:
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:11 am »

Patron Forii: Sheb
Silversheb (+2 Influence)
  Mr. Silvergrasped (Alive +1, Clan Founder +1)

Patron Forii: Bearskie
Bear (+2 Influence)
  Mr. Toolwax (Alive +1, Clan Founder +1)

Patron Forii: Heretic
Chaos (+2 Influence)
  Mr. Elderdiamonds  (Alive +1, Clan Founder +1)

Patron Forii: Sanctume
Sanctume (+4 Influence)
  Mr. Arrowtunnels (Alive +1, Clan Founder +1, Mayor +2)

Artifact: Wordturmoil 'The Buff Knight'
Wordturmoil (+6 Influence)
  Mr. Pagedcolors (Alive +1, Clan Founder +1, Captain of the Guard +2, 1 Named Kill +1, 1 Artifact +1)

Artifact: SteelRampage 'The Teacher of Fortresses'
SteelRampaged (+2 Influence)
   Beachflag (Alive -not adult- +0, Clan Founder +1, 1 Artifact +1)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:44:21 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 01:40:49 am »

Yay! Although on second though, could you check if he's gay if you have DFHack handy? Otherwise my clan will be tiny.  :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7