Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

Blue Cheese!
Rebellious Cheese!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Multiple Embark Bloodline: Minecart Barons (Welcome, Baron WordTurmoil!)  (Read 23041 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Embark Bloodline challenge: Minecart Barons
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 02:30:35 am »

Yay! Although on second though, could you check if he's gay if you have DFHack handy? Otherwise my clan will be tiny.  :P

What's the command for finding if a dwarf is gay?
  nm: gaydar says he "will marry females".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:34:19 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 08:27:18 am »

Then let Master Toolwax to be the first member of the Bear Clan! It's a he btw, not a she, as you labelled in-game.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 01:45:34 am »

Then let Master Toolwax to be the first member of the Bear Clan! It's a he btw, not a she, as you labelled in-game.
Good catch, thanks!  Let it be so.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 04:17:42 am »

The new update has been posted, along with the new save file.  Year 3-4 will be spent gathering/producing the supplies for the next embark, since the track is finished.  So far, there haven't been any "detailed plans" submitted, so the track will probably look very similar to the one in FirstMine.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 07:20:17 am »

I must say, those are some classy-looking updates. Apart from the lack of booze though, that's just cruel.

Btw, is there any reason we aren't running 16x1 embarks instead?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »

This is the first embark - it butts up against the edge of the Fortress for the dwarven civ on the east end (where the Tower is), and against the edge of the world-tile on the West.  Other embarks have the option for being 16x1 though. The "No booze" thing, I think, is a more recent event.  Probably happened when they were finishing up the tracks and the usual brewer fell and bruised her left false rib or some such.  Laying track will be dangerous for dwarves not trained to the job, but I'm betting that after a few embarks, the unsuitable will be winnowed out for the most part. Those suited to such work will be the ones who have families, so DF darwinism might be involved.  (Plus any RNG events, of course...)

Now is the time for each Clan to request one thing to be added to the caravan, to be brought to the next Embark.  There have been no artifacts yet, so no need for an adventurer to bring any of those back to the Mountainhome.  Riding these continuous Minecart rails should be fun, though, once we do get them a few embark lengths long. Heh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:42:46 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 10:51:07 am »

I wanted to test it out in my smaller region world.

Now I wonder, are Constructed Tracks immune from destruction similar to constructed walls? 

I may have put a more stricter goal for myself:
z+0 build parallel walls made of logs from east to west so there is a built in 1 tile wide tunnel.

Then on z+1, build the tracks made of iron bars. 
I haven't found iron yet, but do I construct the floor first, then construct the track so it's between the parallel walls below?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From what I've experimented with, Tracks and floor tiles are similar entities, so your question might be a "chicken and egg" one, but I would do the floors first, then the rails, so that I could keep any undergrowth such as trees from impeding the rails when they finally do get built.  It's actually why I have mine up so high:  The rails are less likely to create an un-enterable area due to a tree growing its branches over the track.  I've heard about a bug like this crashing the game, which would make me have to build a seperate set of tracks around the first if I wanted an uninterrupted ride from one end to the other.

From experiments, trees that grow "up" through a construction crashes the game. 
So this should not be an issue unless a tree grows up next to a wall that has an expanding construction above it. 

I also had the experience where a large multi tree that "overhangs a construction below", when cut down, the falling logs destroys the construction--similar to how cave-in works. 

So it's seems acceptable to have 3 tile roads along side the walls to serve as a buffer in case an overgrown tree is fell in the future.  The result will be damaged road, but the wall is safe-ish.  The drawback is that roads can be destroyed but cheaper to make; while constructed floor guarantee indestructible from building destroyers at the cost of more materials than road. 

Anyway, just a thought.  PTW for how this progresses.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some calculations dealing with embark requirements:
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 02:15:27 am »

1 drink ration = 1 embark point

1 dwarf consumes on average: 2 meals and 5 drink rations per season
4 seasons per year x 12 years (dwarven childhood) = 48 seasons
   48 seasons x 2 meals = 96 prepared meals (prepared meals don't spoil, so they can be stockpiled for the entire childhood of a dwarf.)
   48 seasons x 4 drinks = 192 drink rations

96 x 7 (672 prepared meals)
192 x 7 (1,344 drink rations)

so, 1 unskilled peasant = 288 embark points
     x7 = 2,016 embark points (2,016 prepared meals or drink rations)

1 adult yak = 101 embark points (101 prepared meals or drink rations)

embark travel time is 2 weeks, which is 1/6th of a season.  During that time, the seven new dwarves will consume 2.3 (3) meals and 4.6 (5) drinks.  The yaks are assumed to eat along the way, so thier feed isn't counted.

(101 x 2) + (288 x 7) + 3 food rations + 5 drink rations = 2,218 meals or drinks, 3 meals and 5 drinks

So, a new embark costs the Mountainhome a base of
3 logs of wood + 2,218 prepared meals and/or drink rations + 3 meals (raw is OK, since it'll be eaten before it has a chance to spoil) + 5 drinks

Dwarves with experience in certain skills will cost 1 food/drink ration per 10 experience points of each skill:

Novice           +50 Food/Drink rations
Adequate     +110 Food/Drink Rations
Competent   +180 Food/Drink Rations
Skilled         +260 Food/Drink Rations
Proficient     +350 Food/Drink Rations

These costs are a per skill, per dwarf expense on top of the base required for a team of seven peasants.  A proficient carpenter who is also a proficient brewer would cost 350 for the carpentry skill plus 350 more for the brewer skill, an extra 700 rations for that dwarf alone.

So that's what I'm going to require be given to the caravan at the Depot to even purchase a new embark team.  However, this is where the useless crafts and other sellable items can come into play: Whatever can be purchased off of any of the other civs is able to be spent towards the embark totals or even stored at the Mountainhome to be available for future embark teams.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:26:10 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:17 am »

Dang, sorry mate, haven't got around to checking out the save yet. I mean, I tried, but it was on a shitty connection and the download terminated by itself. This weekend I will.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

Dang, sorry mate, haven't got around to checking out the save yet. I mean, I tried, but it was on a shitty connection and the download terminated by itself. This weekend I will.

No worries, man.  With the "New embark payment" added into the mix, I'm betting we won't get the next embark paid off until year 5 or 6 anyway.  Plenty of time to figure out what you want to send along to the new embark and do any new test embarks to submit for a "detailed plan" on what the next embark will look like (and need).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:15:49 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 09:56:03 am »

It's crazy... so, i want be added to turn list...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »

It's crazy... so, i want be added to turn list...

This is a Community Game, so if you want to be added, you'll need to choose a dwarf to give a Family Name.  Even though I'm updating a year each week, neither of the other Dorfed Players have posted any "detailed plans" to be voted on for the next embark, so the only one to do that will have the only plan to vote on.

(Votes are decided by polls where forumites have 1 per person, but the Dwarven Families each get a 1 per Dwarf vote too, so that if a Player controls several living dwarfs who are all part of a Family, then they get to add extra votes to the totals...)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 03:40:28 am »

Took a look at the save. Why are half of the dwarves all resting in bed with multiple tiny yet severe injuries, including myself?  :o Egads. I do think the track should be built using EW tracks instead of W tracks though, so that minecarts can move in two directions rather than just one.

In terms of our next embark, not much of a choice other than to continue on 16x1 to the west as far as I can see. The Bear Clan brings with it a steel pickaxe. We may not be miners, but a pick is as good a weapon as anything in these lands.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 04:24:43 am »

Took a look at the save. Why are half of the dwarves all resting in bed with multiple tiny yet severe injuries, including myself?  :o Egads. I do think the track should be built using EW tracks instead of W tracks though, so that minecarts can move in two directions rather than just one.

In terms of our next embark, not much of a choice other than to continue on 16x1 to the west as far as I can see. The Bear Clan brings with it a steel pickaxe. We may not be miners, but a pick is as good a weapon as anything in these lands.

Where does the Bear Clan get the Steel pickaxe?  The only pickaxes are in the hands of the two miners already, neither of which are peasants.  As a clarification, The head of a Clan can choose to bring something from this embark to the next one.

Yes, E-W tracks would be better.  A bit of wisdom to apply to the new embark, once the wagon and seven dwarves have been purchased.

Lots of those dwarves fell off the track while the last bits were being built.  The dwarves in the next embark will learn from these dwarves' mistakes and possibly have less falling injuries.  Unfortunately, the only healer we have, our "Chief Medic", is passably good at diagnosing patients, but not sure at all about doing anything other than clean them, so they've remained bed-ridden but regularly cleaned for most of a year now.  Unfortunately, the head of the Bear Clan is one of those languishing in the hospital hut resting his injury.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:34:55 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 07:55:54 am »

I hope with "the dwarfs will learn" you mean you'll pick a better track design ;)

All accidents seem to have happened on staircases leading up to the tracks, and the upper exits of all stairs are blocked by track tiles (since they work as ceilings/floors). I suspect dwarfs tried to _climb_ on their way to/from a buildsite after the stairs were blocked by the track. A staircase on the side of the track instead of underneath would give reasonable maintenance access and should keep the maimings low. Currently, any open wound is a death sentence, since the fort has neither thread nor cloth; no sutures -> infection -> creeping death.

Track direction on straight passages doesn't really matter, all-W behaves the same as all-E or all-EW.
(In fort mode, it's possible a "guide" job fails and a dwarf carries the cart instead of guiding it, but pushing, riding, powered movement and adventure mode minecart use don't care as long as it's non-corner track or bridge.)

Just throwing it out as an option - bridges count as non-direction track (freely passable), cost less material to build, are building-destroyer-immune (but potentially vulnerable to extreme heat) and don't cause game crashes when intersecting trees. They need solid support at least on one edge square and you can't build stuff (track stops, rollers, pressure plates...) on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7