Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

Blue Cheese!
Rebellious Cheese!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Multiple Embark Bloodline: Minecart Barons (Welcome, Baron WordTurmoil!)  (Read 22811 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Embark Bloodline challenge: Minecart Barons
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:28 am »

So, what is a "detailed plan" exactly?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:53 am »

Yeah, I was referring to that particular miner's pickaxe. So I can't pick any items that are already in use? It is from this embark afterall.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 12:21:16 pm »

Ok... then let's see... dorf me as militia commander Okirdoren... not rename he pls, i'd like his name "ElderDiamonds" only add to him that hr Chaos Clan patriarh...
And second... as u can see, Silversheb has 2 grudges...it's intresting...
EDIT
Minecart way look intresting in Armok Vision...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
P.S.
And pls, give me a sword to train...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:31:35 pm by Heretic »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »

I hope with "the dwarfs will learn" you mean you'll pick a better track design ;)

All accidents seem to have happened on staircases leading up to the tracks, and the upper exits of all stairs are blocked by track tiles (since they work as ceilings/floors). I suspect dwarfs tried to _climb_ on their way to/from a buildsite after the stairs were blocked by the track. A staircase on the side of the track instead of underneath would give reasonable maintenance access and should keep the maimings low. Currently, any open wound is a death sentence, since the fort has neither thread nor cloth; no sutures -> infection -> creeping death.

Track direction on straight passages doesn't really matter, all-W behaves the same as all-E or all-EW.
(In fort mode, it's possible a "guide" job fails and a dwarf carries the cart instead of guiding it, but pushing, riding, powered movement and adventure mode minecart use don't care as long as it's non-corner track or bridge.)

Just throwing it out as an option - bridges count as non-direction track (freely passable), cost less material to build, are building-destroyer-immune (but potentially vulnerable to extreme heat) and don't cause game crashes when intersecting trees. They need solid support at least on one edge square and you can't build stuff (track stops, rollers, pressure plates...) on them.

Good point, Larix, except I've had a tantruming dwarf destroy bridges before - similar to them destroying roads.  However, the point is taken that bridges could function better on the pylons as track-analogues.  I suppose anyone who creates a "Detailed plan" should keep this in mind too.

As to the injured dwarfs, we have animals that can be sheared, we just haven't been gifted a shearer/spinner/weaver (or a peasant that can be given those jobs) by the RNG yet.  All part of the challenge.

I didn't see that another dwarf already had a steel pickaxe.  My bad.  I'm sure that dwarf can be "encouraged" to give it up, in exchange for something of equal value.  Got any ideas?

In the next report, we'll be welcoming Mr Chaos Elderdiamonds to the list of the Gentry.  A carpenter will be instructed to build a training sword.  However, there hasn't been a space made for combat training yet.  Do you have any preference where that might be?  maybe over by the Mountainhome Tower?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:11:30 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:24 pm »

So, what is a "detailed plan" exactly?
On the 1st page under New Embarks , it says:
Using the save file, any Player may retire the current fortress on their own computer and create an adjacent embark to continue the track.  Once these saves are posted to the group, they will be considered the "detailed plans" for future embark possibilities.  At the point that an embark has completed its section of track, a vote will be held over which "detailed plan" will be followed for the next section of track.  In the event that there are no "detailed plans" available, then the site that seems the most direct to the goal will be chosen instead. 

Translation:
1. Download one of the save files
2. Retire that Fortress
3. Do a new Embark using whatever resources you want (keep a record of what you used)
4. Play it out until that embark has a full section of tracks
5. Save the game
6. Post a link to the save file + what resources you started with (ie: what it costs to build your version of the next section of track)
7. That post is a "detailed plan".

If that "detailed plan" is voted as the one that will be the most successful, then the resources used in that embark will be banked with the Caravan and the new embark will follow the design of that "detailed plan".

I've updated the first page with this clarification.  Thanks for asking.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:28:21 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 10:42:27 pm »

Oh my, this looks interesting. I will be watching.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 03:33:44 am »

So: I can use whatever ressources I want, or only the one provided by the current fortress? How many time do I have for the detailed plan? As much as I want?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 03:51:44 am »

So: I can use whatever ressources I want, or only the one provided by the current fortress? How many time do I have for the detailed plan? As much as I want?

You use whatever you want, for as long as you want, because whatever save you post is only going to be a "plan" for the actual track being built.  Basically, whatever detailed plan wins the vote, I try to copy that in the actual embark.  So your plan uses whatever resources it wants, but before we can do it, we have to get those same resources stored at the Mountainhome by "offering" them to the civ's caravan.  Currently, there's no ores for metal right now, so building the tracks out of steel might take a long time for the current embark to find iron ore (if it's even on this embark), smelt it into steel using flux stones, and then stockpile enough steel bars to be able to do a plan that uses steel rails.

If your plan begins by only using the resources that are easily gotten by the current Fortress, then it'll be easier to copy your plan, and that plan becomes more easily "do-able."  Makes sense, right?  The "detailed plans" are like "test embarks" that let you discover minerals you want, or possibly threats you want to prepare for like monster lairs or undead invasions or whatever.  They also might be used to set your Clan family up in style, with big private rooms, lots of fancy furniture and masterpiece roasts, ect... Sometimes it's good to be the one designing the next embark.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:55:05 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 03:58:49 am »

"but before we can do it, we have to get those same resources stored at the Mountainhome by "offering" them to the civ's caravan"

If I use locally available ressources, I take it we do not need to stockpile them in the Mountainhome?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:40 am »

Yes.  So wood and food gathered from the forest, and if you have miners, even stone can all be gathered "on site".  As we've seen with the current embark, however, thread and stuff like cloth or rope is another matter entirely.  If you do bring your own food and drink, however, it takes less time than it would if you had to make all those barrels and brew all those drinks from scratch - gives your workers more time to get the job done.  Likewise, if you brought your own boulders and blocks, you wouldn't have to wait for a miner to dig them up.  At that point, it's a matter of convenience, or in an unsafe biome, possibly also safety.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:25:55 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:47 pm »

I started late Sunday evening, but did not get far.  I embarked to the west of the last fort, onto a 1x16.
Interestingly, there's a nice strip of forest from east to west that bypasses the mountain range. 
There was a surprise on the embark spot, but since I put +2 Discipline on 3 starting dwarves, it was handled. 

I was planning for green glass block walls and iron tracks, but it might end up just wood. So much wood.
I did not get far though, and brought too many animals, and only 10 copper nugget ores to get me started on military.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 12:30:01 am »

10 copper nuggets should be interesting to aquire: we haven't found any metal ores at The First Mine yet.  Of course, we've only mined down a couple of z-levels too, mostly focusing on getting the tracks built and roofs over our worker's heads.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Down the tracks" a tour of The First Mine in Year 4
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:27 am »

Welcome to this brief tour of The First Mine.

The First Mine is the first step in many to come, that aims to join Castle Constructblunt to our closest Dwarven neighbors to the west and to stake a lasting claim on the lands between them by building a continuous line of Rapid Transit rails from our Castle to the other.  This is not a light undertaking, but one that will take generations to complete. We of Constructblunt are undaunted by the magnitude of the endeavor, for we are Dwarves!  A dwarf's resolve and patience is as deep and enduring as the roots of the Mountains that we call home.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:02:18 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 09:09:12 am »

10 copper nuggets should be interesting to aquire: we haven't found any metal ores at The First Mine yet.  Of course, we've only mined down a couple of z-levels too, mostly focusing on getting the tracks built and roofs over our worker's heads.

That was the only metal I can embark for.  No cassiterite, no malachite to get my usual bronze.  In fact, no iron ore available at the embark screen.  But copper > naked, haha.
I'll think on this much more while at work, then I'll see if I can play it out the rest of the week if I'm not too late for a "plan."  Anyway, this is only me testing the waters.  I may really try to work on a plan next in-game year after the next save is posted.

I was not clear on <Gender> <Last Name> <First Name>, is it a name for all the dwarves in my embark?  I think I spent 2+ hours trying to some up with names and initial skills at the embark skills, lol.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:44 pm »

That was the only metal I can embark for.  No cassiterite, no malachite to get my usual bronze.  In fact, no iron ore available at the embark screen.  But copper > naked, haha.
I'll think on this much more while at work, then I'll see if I can play it out the rest of the week if I'm not too late for a "plan."  Anyway, this is only me testing the waters.  I may really try to work on a plan next in-game year after the next save is posted.

I was not clear on <Gender> <Last Name> <First Name>, is it a name for all the dwarves in my embark?  I think I spent 2+ hours trying to some up with names and initial skills at the embark skills, lol.

As you can see from the new report, you have at least another week to post your "detailed plan".

The structure of the names is there so that at a glance, you'll be able to see five things about a dwarf, that are usually hidden or lost in the confusion of names:
1. <Gender> This one tells you:
   a. their male/female status
   b. thier mated/unmated status.
2. <Clan/Family name> This one is specifically only for two types of dwarves
   a. A dwarf who has been "dorfed" by a Player (called for fun, a "Forii").  This dwarf then shares its Clan/Family name with its spouse and children (if any), and gives the Player who gave them that name certain bonuses for influencing the forum side of poll results.
   b. A dwarf who has created an artifact.  This dwarf takes on the name of the artifact.  This way, you'll be able to see at a glance who made which artifact.
   c. In Legends mode, it will be easier to see which dwarves are related to one of the Clans, and when the RNG decides a battle is to be fought "off screen", it usually names those in positions of authority as the ones who fight those battles.  So the history being generated will be filled primarily with the names of Clan members, rather than just random dwarves. 
In essence, the Clan system should make 'Legends mode' more personal.

The seven dwarves of an embark team do not get a Clan name, unless one of them is chosen by a "Forii" to be dorfed or makes an artifact.  Usually, their <gender> names are "Mr" or "Ms", since they arrive on-site unmated.

About the "detailed plans":
If the version you're currently playing on your computer and will presumably post a link to the save file here in the forum, is voted "the most doable" (using the poll function here in the Forum, plus the in-game Clan bonuses), then that save file becomes the blueprint for the actual embark: what in the embark is needed, what will be built or excavated, where it will be built and excavated, ect...  It's a "detailed plan".  You can have many of these side by side, each one different in the resources required, any choice of architecture or whatever is in those blueprints.  It will then be up to the Forum poll to decide which one of those plans will be used as the blueprint for the next embark.

If you think you know where the next embark will be going, you can even start planning out the next embark after that.  This is riskier, since you won't know precisely where a track from the previous embark will end, but it may be valuable to have one all ready to go, with the eastern side of the track not quite built, so that once the previous embark's track has finally found it's western edge, you can build your eastern side of the track to match up, and post that save as a "detailed plan". (Which will be voted on when that section of the track is ready to be built.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:43:02 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7