Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opening Blurb to a Game I'm prototyping  (Read 537 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Opening Blurb to a Game I'm prototyping
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:44:56 pm »

Any feedback regarding the writing-style and the game concept would be appreciated. Should I nip this idea in the bud?

After many trials and tribulations, the Cartus Vexat Foribusque Repulsum is finally

in your grasp! But you have paid a heavy price: your injuries leave you wheelchair-

bound and drained of your former sorceries.

Worse, before her untimely demise, the last owner of the Cartus opened an

otherworldly portal underneath your mansion and unleashed a plague of hideous

monsters from another dimension upon the world. Even now, their rampant destruction

has driven civilization to the brink as nations unite in a futile attempt to defeat

the horrifying invaders.

The Cartus is the key to stopping the invasion - but the Cassandra Curse on the book

prevents others from heeding your warnings! Only those with the innocence of a child

can follow your instructions to pass through the door in your cellar, to confront and seal off the darkness.

To this end, you have transformed your mansion into an orphanage where parentless

victims of the desperate struggle outside may take refuge. You have no choice but to

rely on these untried, unprepared innocents to stave off things even you would fear

to confront.

"It is all for the greater good," you tell yourself...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Blurb to a Game I'm prototyping
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »

It will come down to either gameplay or story. Make one of them great and people will play it.

Btw, how do you imagine the core gameplay for your game?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:47:45 pm »

I'm still tinkering with the format, but for now the game is going to be extremely, probably entirely text-based. Reason for this is to produce a rapid playable version and focus on the emotional simulation of the characters you send into the hole in the cellar.

The characters will generate with emotional disturbances and personality problems, but these will also give them weapons they can use against the things they find in the hole. The characters will also be extremely expendable, but at the same time I want the players to be able to get an impression of them before they expire.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:32:07 am »

The blurb combined with phrases like "emotional simulation" and "extremely expendable characters" sound like the game could be a powerful, emotion-inducing experience from player's POV.
I like your idea and will follow this thread.