Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 215983 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2015, 07:07:21 am »

ooh, humans. We didn't get them at all last year! Is the bridge setup for the trade depot working? If you've got time (and blocks. We always need blocks) it might be worth swapping the bridge settings over (outer retracted, inner one down) and putting up some curtain walls to protect the depot from ranged attack. It's purely optional though since it'd only be traders that get wiped out. Maybe also station a dog next to the inner bridge to stop annoying kobolds stealing what few bolts we have.

I think the worst computer stuff I've seen would be either 1: my second high school (Maybe....4-5 years ago) trying to run XP Pro on a bunch of Pentium III towers that probably hadn't been seriously used since 1997 or so. There were only a handful, in a lab that got used so little that they eventually sold the building and trucked it away (it was prefab). We tried booting one up one day to see if it'd run. 38 minutes later the bell went and it still hadn't made it to the log-in.

There was also a Pentium II sitting forlornly in a corner. We tried booting that as well, but it only made little whining noises and didn't do anything.

Orrrrr.....2: my flatmate last year with a tortured, ruined laptop that he was overloading with audio software and literally hundreds if not thousands of browser tabs and program windows open at one time. And uptime that can be measured in weeks or months. On a poor little laptop that never deserved any of this. Towards the end of the year he was pleased to discover that he could toast marshmallows on the cooling vent.

....I think he ended up getting that replaced after he graduated.....

Edit: And yeah, I will do the long-lost IC update for the end of my own turn....but I've got 5,000 words + about 4000 words of supporting material to write for one of my postgrad courses. And it's a 70% assignment so I can't exactly afford to spend time working out a post. Roleplaying a cactus is surprisingly challenging after a year away from RP.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:11:59 am by Urist McKiwi »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2015, 07:22:15 am »

Edit: And yeah, I will do the long-lost IC update for the end of my own turn....but I've got 5,000 words + about 4000 words of supporting material to write for one of my postgrad courses. And it's a 70% assignment so I can't exactly afford to spend time working out a post. Roleplaying a cactus is surprisingly challenging after a year away from RP.

No worries, writing papers can be really tough, especially when all the deadlines start converging together. I'll link it over to the first page once you're done. Otherwise, I'll link up what you had written previously.

Humans. I wasn't expecting them until later, but better early than carrying weapons and trying to kill us, I suppose.
"Caravan," I yell at the layabouts. "Lower the gates!"

What's the civilization called?

That'll give me a head start on the writing for the next entry in our neighbors list.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:32 pm »

The humans are Usmenbehal, or The Heroic Kingdom. Everyone that wanted to be dwarfed should have a dwarf now, including Collin. Note that that's only De and Pyrotechno at the moment, so not all that many.

Also, the militia has been split into one squad for each weapon. Not much else to report due to a crash midway through summer.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2015, 10:46:52 pm »

Was I dorfed? If not...

Requesting to be dorfed as Imush Kubukonul. Enable building designer and diagnostician labors (since he finds helping others rewarding) please. Also, I know its nigh impossible, but try to keep the bugger out of trouble. :P

Oh dear, a crash. Is it the trees again? Try clear cutting the surface near the walls and building floors around the perimeter if you have the time. You need around 4-5 tiles distance. If you run out of blocks, trying using clay.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2015, 10:49:56 pm »

Was I dorfed? If not...

Requesting to be dorfed as Imush Kubukonul. Enable building designer and diagnostician labors (since he finds helping others rewarding) please. Also, I know its nigh impossible, but try to keep the bugger out of trouble. :P

Oh dear, a crash. Is it the trees again? Try clear cutting the surface near the walls and building floors around the perimeter if you have the time. You need around 4-5 tiles distance. If you run out of blocks, trying using clay.

It shouldn't be trees......since in three years we had a grand total of a single Highwood tree. Still, paving the area is a good idea. Set all the mason workshops to make blocks and they'll have them pumped out in no time at all.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2015, 07:39:00 am »

I tend to get crashes if I play too long without saving and thus returning to the main menu. Especially in adventure mode. I've began to save regularly in a slightly paranoid fashion.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2015, 07:43:58 am »

that happens to me. i usualy play with dfhack (mainly fastdwarf and twbt and the multilevel view.) sometimes the game gaets tuck on something. it then helps to disable dfhack for a bit.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2015, 12:49:09 pm »

I tend to get crashes if I play too long without saving and thus returning to the main menu. Especially in adventure mode. I've began to save regularly in a slightly paranoid fashion.

Be aware that the game's internal save system is bugged out. After enough saves (the average is about 20) the region will be rendered unplayable. You'll want to use DFHack's "quicksave" to get around this issue. (Use "die" to immediately end the program if you need to exit out - just remember to quicksave first.) It uses the same system as the seasonal autosave in Fortress mode, which is not bugged. However, I don't think this works for Adventure mode.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2015, 03:06:52 pm »

10th of Malachite, the fortress of Murderflood.
I'm standing at the window of my new office. It took them long enough to get it ready for my use; I'm not sure how it took the peasantry so long to carry some tiny silver furniture up a couple of flights of stairs. It's not all that heavy, after all. Far below me, they've finally gotten around to working on the start of the second tower and the foundations of a proper fortress on top of that hovel that they're using now. When I'm through with them, the dwarves of Murderflood will live in style whether they want to or not. On the ground, some of the new recruits are chasing a giant louse. I'm still not certain how it managed to get inside the walls, but it doesn't really matter as long as none of the militia are stupid enough to let it get a grip on them. Closer to me, a farmer is burying the corpse of the giant panda that we bought from the elves this spring. Apparently it starved to death in one of our pastures. If it can't be satisfied eating cave moss and mushrooms, it didn't really have much of a future here anyway, I suppose.

10th of Galena.
The peasants keep organising parties in spite of the fact that there are plenty of blocks that need hauling and ore that needs smelting. To combat this, I've appointed myself as Murderflood's captain of the guard. I'm getting a few chains and cages placed the more visible parts of the fortress. Perhaps a reminder that there are consequences to refusing to contribute to the fortress will motivate them properly.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2015, 07:50:23 pm »

10th of Galena.
The peasants keep organising parties in spite of the fact that there are plenty of blocks that need hauling and ore that needs smelting. To combat this, I've appointed myself as Murderflood's captain of the guard. I'm getting a few chains and cages placed the more visible parts of the fortress. Perhaps a reminder that there are consequences to refusing to contribute to the fortress will motivate them properly.

Uh....yeah. Your dwarf is just gonna run and beat the crap out of Gwolfsky, probably. I vacated that position to try to save him. :P

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »

Any peasants that do not please us shall be treated as they deserve. Filthy peasants.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:41 am »

this might be amusing. would a justice dealer convict himself? lets try that!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »

Be aware that the game's internal save system is bugged out. After enough saves (the average is about 20) the region will be rendered unplayable. You'll want to use DFHack's "quicksave" to get around this issue. (Use "die" to immediately end the program if you need to exit out - just remember to quicksave first.) It uses the same system as the seasonal autosave in Fortress mode, which is not bugged. However, I don't think this works for Adventure mode.
Woah, really? This is the first time I've heard about this. I have a world with four adventurers and I've saved waay past 20 times already..

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:43 pm »

Woah, really? This is the first time I've heard about this. I have a world with four adventurers and I've saved waay past 20 times already..

Maybe it's just Fortress mode, then. But, yes, it is a thing - myself and many others have experienced it.

:(

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2015, 04:35:40 pm »

Maybe it's just Fortress mode, then. But, yes, it is a thing - myself and many others have experienced it.

:(
Well, that's bad :( Thanks for bringing it up! I guess I'll be using quicksave from now on.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 83