Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212301 times)

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #630 on: January 19, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »

For what its worth, I had the writeup of the first very short period finished. I was going to do more, but it seems a little pointless now that the file is lost. I can post the little I DID have, if people want, just to let you see what could have been?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »

Please, do post. We must have our own time shenanigans.

And yes, turn seems cursed. I had free time, you had a working computer... To the next overseer in line: do not boast something you'd probably regret later.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »

Journal of Haerdalas II, Overseer of Murderflood.
1st Granite, 207.
I have spent most of the past day checking over our supplies. Food is plentiful, and as far as I can tell there are no imminent shortages.

In these trying times, we must increasingly trust in the strength of our warriors to defend us. With so many of the old mountainhomes falling, it is crucial our men and women at arms are given nothing but the best equipment. Our stocks of adamantine are ok for now, but more must be found if we are to fully outfit the troops. As such, I have ordered several mine shafts to be opened towards new veins of the precious metal.

In other news, I believe it time to restart the magma pumping operation – the current extent of the dikes are nearly filled, but we need more magma if the dikes are to be finished. Unfortunately, many of the architects of the original pump system are no longer with us, or just hiding away somewhere in the fort. As such, we shall have to brave the blind activation of many levers….
Studying the axles, I believe this is the lever to start the power generator running.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3rd Granite, 207
It would appear I was incorrect. Upon pulling the lever, nothing appears to have happened. No power is being generated. I shall try pulling the other lever in the generator room.

4th Granite, 207

What? Mere days into my rule, we are beset by foes.
Goblins. They pour over the horizon. More every moment. I order the bridge closed until we can get a better idea of their numbers, and gather the men near the gate.
The count stops at 41 Goblins, but several are mere recruits. They think this will be enough to stop US?

I prepare the ballista, and get ready to lower the bridge.

The first arrow misses. I am uncertain there will be time to reload for another shot. I worry about sending the men to fight on the bridge, what with the magma underneath and all. Hmm. I may have made a small mistake here….
A goblin charges across ahead of his friends, and falls into a trap.

There is muttering from the men. They want to fight! Still, I hesitate, ordering the bridges raised. Perhaps we can split the goblins up and defeat them in smaller groups?

It seems my hesitation was too much for Zazit Abantenshed. The hammerlord swears, then charges off to face the Goblins alone. That I cannot allow. May Armok be with us…
CHARGE!

Bolts fly in both directions as the marksmen on the wall fire down. Zazit still stands alone as the rest of us run to catch up. It doesn’t matter. Two times her hammer falls, two times goblin skulls are crushed. She charges across the bridge, a one-dwarf Goblin nightmare, dodging bolts and axes.

The other Goblins quickly surround the Hammerlord, but she continues fighting on. Another goblin falls.

And then bridge raises. Zazit, along with half a dozen goblins, goes flying into the air. Those of us just turning the corner stare in horror at her flight. I…. I forgot to rescind the order to raise the bridge. This is my fault.
As bodies and objects fall around us to plunge into the magma, it seems the bloodlust is just too much for some of us. I have already ordered the bridge lowered again, so we might face our foes properly as we should have done right away. Tosid briefly totters near the edge, apparently debating the merits of running across the Lava. (he was actually standing on top of the lava, briefly, before returning to the bridge. Didn’t get a screenshot, I’m afraid.)
Zazit falls, punging into the lava. He does not rise…. At some point, in the confusion, it seems the Mace Lord Edam Endokurroth has also fallen into the magma. Who thought magma dikes were a good idea, again? Oh, and there goes Mace Lord Stukos Giginshorast as well.
Everything has gone to hell. All is chaos. I have no idea what is happening anymore. Half the men seem to have wandered off, the other half are spread out randomly, with some sitting in the main building, SPARRING. Don’t they know there’s a war on? One guy remains near the bridge with the remaining half of the goblin army. I order another charge, though Armok knows how many people will even hear it.

(The dorfs in and around the building on the left are most of the military, who wanders off to SPAR for some reason. In the center, a lone Dwarf stands against the horde without flinching. Clouds of vapour arise from goblins and dwarves that fell into the lava earlier.)

Finally, a proper charge is mounted. The remaining Goblins on the bridge are slaughtered. Now all that remains are a few stragglers to the north. I order them cut down, but they flee before anyone can approach them.

What a disaster…

(I had the men fairly far back initially in an attempt to prevent them seeing a goblin and charge out too early…. I kinda wanted to use the Ballista more, otherwise I would have just declared a charge right away. SHOULD have done that. It seems I was simultaneously too close and too far, seeing as Zazit still charged, but I was also unable to get the rest of the men to back him up in any reasonable time frame. Alas, hindsight is 20/20.)
As far as I can tell, apart from the three who fell into Magma, none of our dwarves were even so much as scratched. The brave Militia captain who stood alone on the bridge during the latter half of the fight appears to be missing a foot, but I cannot see anything about him losing it in the battle reports. I guess it was a prior wound?
A couple of war-bears wandered too close and got cut to pieces, but such is life.)

10th Granite 207

The other lever in the generator room has been pulled, but still nothing is happening. I am starting to think I may be missing something obvious, but none of the levers in the lever room are labelled as affecting the generator….
In other news, another vein of Adamantine has been reached. Mining is furtive and careful, as Magma is, of course, very close, but we should be able to get a decent amount from it. Anyway, now things are nice and peaceful, let’s

I…. What? WHAT TREES? This is a DESERT! 
Still, with the mountainhomes falling to the Goblins, and our own recent decrease in numbers, it’s probably best to try to not insult the tree hugging pansies Elves too much.

Anyway, as I was saying, now we have peace, it is best to start preparing for war. We need more soldiers, and better equipment. Sadly, it seems all the best armoursmiths have fallen in recent years, so we are a little lacking in the finer stuff. I guess we can solve both problems by getting someone to make some gear to tide our new recruits over. Now, who would make a good recruit?

(This is as far as I got with the writeup before the virus fucked things over. For some reason, the software doesnt want to embed the images, so I hope links are enough for now.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:12:28 pm by Haerdalas »

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 19, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »

Ok, my image links appear to have not worked at all. Hmm. One sec.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:00 pm »

Look for the insert image button to your top right. Highlight the image url then click on the button. To resize the image, try "[img]image url here[/img width=enter number here]".

Well at least we now know the answer to the question, "Can bridges save lives?".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:21:23 pm by Zuglarkun »

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:49 pm »

Images should all be fixed now.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #636 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:18 pm »

to start the pumps, you must engage the gears and manually pump the pumps for  a while. shut off power ot the pumpstack while charging the geneartors.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 20, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »

Sorry for your computer.. I also had a rather nasty virus on my old computer, which deleted some system files which were crucial for accessing the internet and quite many programs. "Only" half a year later, I realized my computer had a pre-installed backup package which had all the missing files..

So, Taupe is next?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2016, 09:08:16 pm »

Sorry for your computer.. I also had a rather nasty virus on my old computer, which deleted some system files which were crucial for accessing the internet and quite many programs. "Only" half a year later, I realized my computer had a pre-installed backup package which had all the missing files..

So, Taupe is next?

Indeed. However, I won't be able to play until next week, as my free time this week is taken by my niece's first birthday, and other side projects. I'll make sure to update the dwarfed/dead section, as well as the turn list and future overseer as I re-read this whole thing before my turn. If any of you who had to skip his turn but skipped it recently, feel free to grab the save now, otherwise I'll get on it next Tuesday.

Apologies for the lack of feedback and activity in the last months, my schedule and availability are not what they used to be. :( I hardly browse the forum and keep track of community forts anymore, sadly. When I do, it's on my phone, which leads to very minimal quote/editing/archiving, if any.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:53:01 am by Taupe »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 24, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »

The Fall of Boardsomber: Part 1

Zuglarkun IV's Journal:

As I sat in my quarters, I unwrapped the package that Vucar left for me. Nestled in the plain wrapping was what appeared to be a series of journals stamped in the insignia of The Stirred Irons. I flipped open the first of these journals and began to read.

Mayor's Log: Early Spring 205

The siege had taken its toll. The goblins have whittled down our numbers until we few are left, though there weren't all that many of us to begin with. The situation had gotten so dire that the Queen herself has taken arms to join the defenders in the front lines.

Well, she wasn't the only reluctant participant. She had also insisted that Edëm Arrowrhymed The Old Maw of Gifting; our goblin diplomat, don a suit of armor and join her in the front lines.

"Since your witless tongue has proven ineffective in the defense of our mountainhome, perhaps your idle hands would serve us in better stead." She spoke as she made the ruling. She had it figured that it was mainly his fault that the negotiations fell through, so he had to atone in some way for this mess that he had caused.

It is still snowing heavily outside, and to make matters worse, frozen elf blood had begun to blow in from the Lurid Blizzard.
An uneasy silence creeps over the the Frost of Satin. As the day breaks, the snowdrifts begin to subside
and I hear movements in the distance though I cannot see properly through this damned fog. As the fog begins to clear, I begin to vaguely make out the goblin camps arrayed outside our walls, well outside of the range of our crossbows. Not that it made any difference, we did not have enough dwarfpower to provide adequate firepower support. We have been enduring the siege these past few weeks in tense anticipation, but still no attack came.

I saw Dodók emerge from the tunnels, striding out onto the trade depot, observing the enemy movements and formations with his keen eyes and attuned senses. Well, I am no military dwarf so they all look like rabble to me from this distance, but Dodók assured me that the goblins were arrayed in battle formations; its just that goblin battle formations look nothing like dwarf battle formations.

He said it didn't make any difference, since everyone charges headlong into death in the heat of battle anyway. Dodók then mentioned briefly that the goblins were taking turns to besiege us, "highly unusual behavior." he added. He pointed out that the goblins that were driven off last year during "The Sieges of Tormenting" belonged to the tribe known as The Thief of Curls. "We've only seen them once before that, during The Siege of Knives I reckon. The insignia they bore on their armor was different." he said.

It seems that the ones that had come this season were our old enemies, The Immortality of Battles. By my count, we've been besieged 16 times already by these particular goblins, and they just kept coming regardless of their losses. This is now the 3rd straight year that we've been besieged, and of our 20 defenders since the beginning, we were now reduced to 9 able bodied defenders that yet stood tall, well tall for dwarven standards anyway.

"I've heard rumors of disagreements among the different tribes of goblins, that they have taken to fighting among themselves over the ruins of sites they've plundered in recent times." Dodók mentioned.

"Heck, I've even heard that not two but three goblin tribes have taken issue with us."

As the fog faded, he warned me to stay a safe distance away, which I fully plan to do. I may have fought a few battles in my day, but I sense my chances of survival would be slim. Most of the military are all embattled veterans. Well, with all the fighting going on since the siege, if they weren't battle hardened before, they sure as hell are now. Even the Queen has managed to rack up a considerable number of kills. Heck, even frail ole Edëm has some kills to his name.

It was midday when the battle broke out. Fearing the glare of the sun, the defenders took shelter within the trade depot bunker. The goblins piled into the sole entryway to the south as the defenders of Boardsomber formed a line of defense and fought for position. A dwarf that was leading this troop of goblins struck a heavy blow at Ilral Slicktrade the Strikes of Dominating our military commander, blowing away his guard. It then lowered its shoulder and charged at Ilral, causing them both to tumble backwards as more goblins stepped over the threshold to join the fray.

Ilral fought hard against the swelling tide of goblins but could not fend them all off, getting further and further isolated. Meanwhile, the rest of our forces were too occupied with forcing the goblins back to notice the breach on their flank.

Sensing that the situation was dire, Obok whom was the closest to Ilral went over to reinforce his position.

"The line is breached! To me defenders of Boardsomber!" cried the Queen as she left her position and cleaved her way forward to try to stem the tide.

Meanwhile, Ilral desperately tried to fight back, but he was surrounded and weary from fighting off all these foes, whereas the new goblin forces were on fresh legs and their ranks were swelling by the moment. Sensing the tide had turned, their dwarf leader took a mighty leap over Ilral - and with a dull clang, cleaved Ilral's head and helm asunder.

Momentarily distracted by the clamor of the goblins to her side, the Queen took a charge to the gut and tumbled backward. Just at that moment, a hulking human leapt into position behind the Queen. But the Queen had noticed it in time, throwing a wild back swing at her assailant with her axe, which the human parried, hurling them both off balance. She was now on dangerous ground, cut off from the rest of the dwarves by the hulking human that stood in her way.

"We have to help the Queen!" yelled Momuz Gorgejails the Trustworthy Band of Responsibilites as she tried to fight her way to the Queen's compromised position, striking down one of those dwarves that had turned to goblin ways.

Dodók, Zuntir, Zasit and îton formed a wedge and tried to fight their way towards the Queen, striking down many foes in the process, whilst Inod and Edëm retreated to the bunker and defended the entryway from the approaching foes. Inod Clenchedtongs the Silky Brush broke cover and shot down another turned dwarf that had tried to take advantage of the chaos to circle behind and flank the rest of the dwarves. Unfortunately, Inod was caught out of position and she fell under the sword of yet another turned dwarf as Edëm tried desperately to hold the rest at bay. îton and Dodók turned back to try to contain the breach, cutting a swathe of carnage towards Edëm as the others pressed on.

Meanwhile, Obok continued to fight back as the goblins swarmed all around her, the Queen and the hulking human squared off, back and forth they went as they exchanged blow after blow, but neither were able to gain ground on the other. But then a goblin manages to sneak up behind her and drove a spear into the back of the Queen's calf.

"Gahhh!" The queen cried out as she buckled to the ground in pain.

The goblins surged forward. But the queen threw a wild back swing that narrowly missed their feet. The goblins hesitated for a moment before pressing forward. The Queen took another wild swing at them to deter them from approaching, but she received a stab to the back by the human that was looming behind her. Momuz, Zuntir and Zasit redoubled their efforts, but it was too late, the human Bosa Nightmarestoker lifted his two handed sword and drove it down onto the fallen Queen. So ended Obok Constructrazor the Trampled Symmetry of Pools, proud Queen of The Stirred Irons.

Momuz, Zuntir and Zasit were stirred into a fit of rage as they rushed forward to avenge the Queen. Zuntir pulled out his crossbow, taking down Bosa with a shot to the head.,while Momuz and Zasit went to defend the Queen's body from desecration but they were met by many goblin blades and were forced into a rout. Momuz was cut down in the ensuing chaos. Sensing that the situation was hopeless, Dodók signaled the rest to retreat into the fortress, while he sank into a battle trance as he desperately tried to hold the hordes back singlehandedly. Five times was his sword raised as it shone in the midday sun, and each time it fell an attacker was struck down. But the goblins were heedless of their losses and would not be deterred, and at last he was driven back and fled into the tunnels below as the goblin hordes overran his position. The outer defenses were breached.

Thus ended
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:43:35 pm by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 24, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »

Update on my schedule: Honestly I'll have to skip myself. I haven't even been able to sit in front of my computer for the last week, or sleep as much as I should. There is no way in hell I can scavenge the time needed for a year of play and the appropriate updates. I know this sucks. I'm sort of sorry.

The next players in line are DuckThatQuacks, followed by Triaxx2 for a second turn.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:31:22 pm by Taupe »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:38 am »

A cursed turn, indeed...
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 25, 2016, 12:06:07 am »

Update on my schedule: Honestly I'll have to skip myself. I haven't even been able to sit in front of my computer for the last week, or sleep as much as I should. There is no way in hell I can scavenge the time needed for a year of play and the appropriate updates. I know this sucks. I'm sort of sorry.

The next players in line are DuckThatQuacks, followed by Triaxx2 for a second turn.

If you can't so it, you can't do it. No sense beating yourself up over it. We've had bad luck with people skipping, but that's always been a thing with the Ardentdike forts. At the very least it makes a good running gag.

I'm torn between wanting to see what Duck gets up to (because DuckThatQuacks is awesome at write-ups), and hoping we can stretch it to......five? Consecutive skips?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 25, 2016, 02:19:08 am »

I can say for certain it shall halt at five.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:15 am »

The good news is I think my PC is now virus-free.

Bad news is work is catching up to me after my 2 weeks of lower workload.

Still, hopefully it will end one day.... Mind putting me back on the end of the turn list please? Maybe the fort will even still be around by the time everyone else has had their turn (especially if the Cursed Turn claims anymore victims...)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83