Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212332 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #660 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:25 am »

Yeah, because running magma over the heads of the dwarves always works so well. :P

Though I suppose you could build it like the workshops below ground. Three levels, with Workshops in the middle and storage above and below.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 31, 2016, 02:43:01 pm »

Somewhere in the bowels of the earth…

Something stirred. The people of the old world had had a name for him, a name spoken only in hushed voices, lest they draw the attention of a dread being older than the world itself.

They called him McDuck.

Few in this world knew that name, for now, but all would fear it before the end came.

In the world above, the seasons turned, and in the instant of non-time between spring and summer, McDuck extended his reach. He could not stretch his will to the surface world, not yet, but his reach was far enough that he came across a solitary dwarf, making his way up a staircase. McDuck exerted his will.

The world twisted, and the dwarf missed his next step…

Journal of Meng ‘Duck’ Bristledcrypts, Overseer of Murderflood

1 Hematite, 207:

It’s summer time! My birthday is in just a few days!

4 Hematite, 207:
Tomorrow’s my birthday! I’ll be a year older and finally count as a real adult! I’m so excited!

6 Hematite, 207:
What happened?

Yesterday was my birthday and I waited all day but I never turned twelve! That’s not fair!

7 Hematite, 207:

Adil hasn’t been seen in a week! I’ve asked around but nobody knows where he is! I’ve ordered a search of the fortress.

10 Hematite, 207:
We found Adil.

He was at the very bottom of the staircase at the very lowest point in the fortress, all splattered in pieces. Chief Medical Dwarf Relicbirds says that he must have fallen on the stairs. But how could falling down the stairs have splattered him like that? Anyway we’re burying his body and we’ve set up a memorial.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rest in piece, Adil Overhames.

11 Hematite, 207:
The magma dikes are all full! I’ve disengaged the reactor now since we don’t need it anymore.

I still can’t believe what happened to Adil. Who ever heard of a dwarf just slipping on the stairs before? We’re supposed to be extra-stable! I’m trying to think about other things because I have to Set an Example for the others but it is really hard to avoid thinking about a mysteriously splattered corpse.

12 Hematite, 207:

Hopefully the humans will have more interesting stuff than the elves did.

15 Hematite, 207:
Well, I was really hoping for some logs, but the humans didn’t have any. Still we were able to get a lot of alcohol and plants and meat and fish and seeds. All they asked in return was some of our old clothes! Clothes that won’t even fit them! It seems very nonsensical, but I guess that’s humans for you.

20 Hematite, 207:

Wow, it seems like all the soldiers are naming their shields. Asmoth is calling hers “The Violator of Erasure”.

1 Malachite, 207:
Not wanting to be left out, Sibrek is naming her shield “The Flowery Torch”.

3 Malachite, 207:
Edem has decided to be different, and is instead naming his mace.

He calls it “Islandscream the Yawning Labors”, which I guess is appropriate given that he calls himself the “Royal Contest of Socketing.”

10 Malachite, 207:

I’m getting concerned. Are we alone in the world now?

27 Malachite, 207:
It’s been over a month since my birthday and I still haven’t gotten older. I’m sick of waiting! I’m going to go ahead and have my party anyway because I’m the overseer and nobody can stop me.

12 Galena, 207:
Everything is going great! It’s been really quiet actually.

13 Galena, 207:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA—

—AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

14 Galena, 207:
Okay on further reflection it probably didn’t make much sense to transcribe my scream in my journal yesterday. I feel undignified enough as it is.

I’ve ordered all civilians back inside the perimeter and sent the militia out to meet the titan. We’re standing by to raise the bridges if our soldiers should fall.

15 Galena, 207:
The militia’s strategy seemed a bit unorthodox to me, but I can’t argue with the results.

Junglepanther the Misty Shins will not trouble the world any longer!

22 Galena, 207:
I suppose I can’t blame Sarrak for wanting to name the hammer he used to kill the titan (he’s calling it “Shootechoes”).

Still, I can’t help but notice that he’s now named both his weapon AND his shield.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 31, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »

Out of character, I should note that I have absolutely no idea what happened to Adil Agezum. There were no combat reports or anything, he just suddenly showed up dead (and in several pieces) at the very lowest point in the fortress.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 31, 2016, 03:11:43 pm »

Out of character, I should note that I have absolutely no idea what happened to Adil Agezum. There were no combat reports or anything, he just suddenly showed up dead (and in several pieces) at the very lowest point in the fortress.

Nothing could be more perfect.

Wow, the Ardentdikes legacy lives on.  I am glad Duck and company are so much better (and more dedicated) than I am!
E: Wow, actually reading this thread.  Art and everything?  You people are amazing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:50:03 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 31, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »

At a guess, I'd say he either dodged something or fell asleep. Things like that make them think they're in midair rather than standing on steps, so reality bends to their beliefs and they fall.

Asmoth's Journal, Granite 207.
Someone is clearly trying to insult me. First they intervene in my designs on the nobility of this place and give it to one of the cactus' family, then they put a child in charge of the fortress. Now the child is trying to make us work in the forges during our breaks! The rest of the maggots in the militia shouldn't even have any time off, and my breaks are spent making sure that the law of the land is upheld... in a way that suits me. I've sent word to the goblin warleaders that our defences have been compromised by elves, and a few notes about how trees are stupid to the elven queen. Perhaps once the child realises that the militia has better things to do, he'll stop wasting our time.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:55 pm »

The Fall of Boardsomber: Part 2

Mayor's Log: Mid spring 205

Spoiler: We were driven down... (click to show/hide)

We have been holding out in the inner chambers for days now. It has been suspiciously quiet ever since they've seized the workshop levels. The few of us remaining have managed to hide ourselves away, barricading ourselves in
Spoiler: The Queen's chambers (click to show/hide)
in the lowest part of the fortress via a locked hatch. I hope that we are not discovered.

The situation appears to be quite grim, food supplies are dwindling and we are almost out of booze as our main food stores are located in the workshop levels. I fear we will be forced to subsist on vermin if things go south, already I see the blank look of hunger on some as they stared at the rats scurrying by.

"Its all your fault Edem!"

"I don't want any of your stinking kind anywhere near me!"

"I knew never to trust a goblin!" Bickering ensued as dwarves driven mad with hunger and despair took turns laying the blame at poor Edëm who had bore the brunt of scrutiny for his spectacular failure at diplomatic negotiations.

The situation only came under control when Dodók came over to separate the others. Weak with hunger, they knew not to challenge the goblin general who had been doing better than the rest of us since he did not need to partake of refreshment. There are a few who resented him, but all respected his skill in combat and prowess at arms. Begrudgingly, they let the matter slide and sauntered off elsewhere.

This disparity in the treatment of Dodók and Edëm symbolized how our dwarven multiculturalism functioned, and how this stigma against "outsiders" came about. Our goblin and human comrades were held as role models; of what proper dwarven education could lead "foreign" individuals to become in dwarven society. However, this particular brand of multiculturalism was a doubled edged sword that magnified their every deed or misdeed, and so it became particularly easy to associate their mistakes with their race even though they were assimilated and raised as fully fledged dwarves.

Perhaps my brief time of being integrated into goblin society gave me the perspective to be able to sympathize with Edëm's plight, instead of treating him like how the other dwarves did. I was kidnapped as a young beardling, though I managed to escape afterwards, so I had an inkling of how goblin society functioned. Upward mobility in goblin society meant taking out the fella above you in hierarchy and holding everyone else down, so only the strong can wrest power. This "meritocratic" approach sidestepped the issues of nobility inherent in dwarven society, plus goblins aren't so bad to be around once you realign your moral compass and overlook the whole "will kill you without batting an eye for no rhyme or reason" thing they've got going on.

The two goblin nobles took turns patrolling the upper levels in the event of an ambush, while the rest of us waited for impending doom to fall.

Disaster almost befell. The goblin invaders had disguised their turned dwarves and humans in the gear of our fallen comrades to scout out our defenses. Fortunately, their blood stained attire made them stand out from our citizens whom had never participated in any battles. Edëm was the first to encounter them and was also the first to see through their ruse, noticing that their accents and mannerisms were suspiciously like the goblins that he long had dealings with in his diplomatic sojourns. It was he that devised a plan to lure them into a false sense of security before turning our weapons on them. They were led into an ambush in the throne room and none were left to tell the tale.

We managed to buy some reprieve as the goblin leaders were left awaiting further news from their spies whom they must have assumed were successful in their infiltration efforts. Of course, no one credited Edëm for managing to save us from certain disaster.

Taking advantage of the lull, we retook the workshops and bedroom quarters, but the goblins had destroyed our kitchens and food production facilities.
Spoiler: Facilities (click to show/hide)
They was an eerie silence hanging over the normally bustling workshops, it seems the goblins had rounded up all the food as well as the civilians and carted them off. We did not manage to find much left over, only a pile of plump helmets, so we had little choice but to subsist off the water deposits in the caverns. The military went scavenging for food in the open caverns, managing to slaughter a pair of pond grabbers. We greedily feasted on their grubby innards and staved off starvation for another day.

In the search of the upper levels for food, Zasit encountered survivors hidden away in an alcove in the bedroom quarters.
Spoiler: Hidden away (click to show/hide)

Uzol Sandalcraft and Nil Portalcrews were stricken in fear, so it took some coaxing (with food) to get them to abandon their hideaway. But they refused to speak of their ordeal or indeed, of anything at all.

Meanwhile up on the surface...

"What is taking them so long!?" Barked Lebes; a hulking man-sized goblin that led the invading forces of The Immortality of Battles.

"I do not know supreme leader, perhaps they encountered resistance?" remarked one of the goblin attendants.

"What!?" Bellowed Lebes over the din of the goblins greedily splitting the spoils of war among themselves.

"I can't- AHHHHHH!!!! SHUT- UP- THE WHOLE LOT OF YOU!" Snapped Lebes as he hurled a spear at the nearest reveler, skewering the poor bastard. The nearby goblins scattered away in fear of Lebes fury.

"Hyeee!" groveled the goblin attendant in fear.

"YOU- GO FETCH ME NGEBZO VTILEROAR AND HIS NASTY BOYS- BEFORE- I- BLOW MY TOP!" Snarled Lebes as he grabbed hold of the goblin attendant and shaked him around mercilessly.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:59:52 pm by Zuglarkun »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:01 pm »

At a guess, I'd say he either dodged something or fell asleep. Things like that make them think they're in midair rather than standing on steps, so reality bends to their beliefs and they fall.

Eh, there's a few possibilities.....maybe he was running really quickly? Perhaps our stairs were cut out of the rock a little too sharp-edged? Or mayhap McDuck bent reality such that the dwarf was orbiting the centre of the spiral staircase at such speed that he could fall to his death without ever touching the ground on the way there?

Or of course, our builders might have done the old "dig a vertical pit and leave a few rocks sticking out around the edges as stairs" gag again.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 06, 2016, 08:38:19 am »

1 Limestone, 207:

It’s hard to believe, but my term as overseer is halfway done! The time has really flown.

12 Limestone, 207:
One of our citizens abruptly started babbling today.

I’ve no idea what he’s going on about. He grabbed some bones from the refuse pile and barricaded himself in a workshop and isn’t answering my questions.

15 Limestone, 207:
Edem has named his shield “Whimsgroups the Spite of Intricacies”

Someday I ought to ask one of the soldiers why they all insist on naming their shields.

16 Limestone, 207:
Unib emerged from the workshop today, triumphantly bearing… a bone crown with bits of bone sticking off of it.

The name means “Sneerpracticed the Turquoise Twigs”. Honestly I’m not too impressed.

17 Limestone, 207:

A caravan arrived today, with several wagons full of goods and the outpost liaison.

19 Limestone, 207:

The liaison is meeting with the baroness. I’m not technically supposed to be listening in on this but I’ve got my ear pressed up against the door so I can sort of hear them. A good overseer needs to know what’s going on in the world!

Well that was kind of underwhelming. It sounds like they’re still talking though.

!!!

If the baroness is being promoted, she’s going to want some nicer rooms. I’m ordering the metalsmiths to start making some fancy silver furniture.

21 Sandstone, 207:
Unfortunately the caravan didn’t have much that was useful to us. I got some random steel objects that we can melt down and reforge into swords and stuff and I put in an order for a bunch of wood next year.

I also gave them some food to bring back to wherever it is they go. Times are probably tough since the fall of Boardsomber and we have a patriotic duty to help out our fellow dwarves.

23 Sandstone, 207:

Word came from the liaison that the baroness has been officially promoted to duchess. I’ve begun ordering the new silver furniture installed in the baronial ducal spire.

28 Sandstone, 207:

I wonder if we might not be the last bastion of dwarfkind in the world.

12 Sandstone, 207:

Besmar is breaking with tradition (a little) and naming her sword instead of her shield. She calls it “The Muddled Mirrors”.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:10:12 am by DuckThatQuacks »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 06, 2016, 09:50:06 am »

Since that was a pretty uneventful season, I thought I’d present some of the more notable works of art that can be found in Murderflood.

The early years of the fortress are a popular subject for artists. The ups and downs of Thorayne’s career are the subject of several statues and engravings:

Thorayne’s martial exploits are also popular.

Vuohijumala is also featured in several statues and engravings, including one in which he appears together with Thorayne.

Murderflood’s artists have also been fascinated with CrAzY UriST, who appears in a disproportionate number of works.

The dwarves of Murderflood have a great fear of shellfish, and it is reflected in their art. Even mighty warriors are depicted cowering in the face of the molluscan hordes.

The tragic history of the Zuglarkun clan is another popular subject.

Several other famous dwarves are depicted in art, albeit less frequently.

Although there are no books at Murderflood, the dwarves know of several famous works.

And finally, there is one work that commemorates the effectiveness of the dwarves’ Universal Problem-Solver:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:32:46 am by DuckThatQuacks »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #669 on: February 06, 2016, 09:52:20 am »

so we in 42.xx or 40.xx?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 06, 2016, 11:26:52 am »

I wonder if we might not be the last bastion of dwarfkind in the world.

When in doubt, blame the amorphous god duck-like entity that haunts our site.

But... I would think many different factors come into play. Consider that it isn't uncommon for mirages to happen in a desert, which would cause dwarf migrants looking for a fortress next to a lake to veer off course in the direction of the mirage. Heck, the lake itself might exert some influence, causing some kind of wonky 'Fata Morgana' effect that totally distorts the appearance of the surrounding area, shielding us from view.

so we in 42.xx or 40.xx?

I believe we have had this discussion earlier on in the thread. Its 40.24, and we'll be staying in 40.24, since porting over to 42.xx won't give us the benefits of libraries, temples and such, and might actually destabilize the fort.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:16:54 pm by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 06, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »

Thats a lot of nice artwork!  I believe we have the required statues to build a special area containing a statue of each founder.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 06, 2016, 01:02:29 pm »

Yeah, best to wait until this one collapses under the weight of it's own destructive forces.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 06, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »

1 Moonstone, 207:

Winter is com—

Oh, um, I guess winter is here already. Anyway winter is not a fighting season (too cold) so things should be pretty quiet.

2 Moonstone, 207:

Huh? They’re attacking in winter? Can they do that?

3 Moonstone, 207:

The goblins have arrived uncomfortably close to our gates.

The militia is rushing out to meet them.

4 Moonstone, 207:

That’ll teach the goblins to attack us in winter. The militia is returning to the fort with no losses.

5 Moonstone, 207:
Tulon started gibbering nonsensically today.

She’s gone and claimed the same workshop Unib used last season. I hope she makes something more interesting than a bone crown decorated with bone.

6 Moonstone, 207:

I didn’t think there were any unnamed shields left in the fortress, but it looks like there was at least one. Aban has taken to calling it “Humorurged.” I think at this point all the soldiers have named their shields.

11 Obsidian, 207:

Turns out I was wrong. Zasit still hadn’t named her shield. She is now calling it “The Vision of Evaporating.”

12 Obsidian, 207:
I checked in on Tulon in her workshop today, and she’s just sitting there next to a pile of bones and gems. She keeps drawing pictures of trees — maybe this means she needs some wood to make whatever it is she’s got planned? We don’t have any logs available, but I’ve ordered one of the axles on the magma pump stack disassembled. Tulon can use that.

13 Obsidian, 207:
The instant the axle was disassembled, Tulon burst out of the workshop, grabbed the wood, and took it back down to the workshop. She’s started working on something.

16 Obsidian, 207:
Now that she’s named her shield, Zasit decided it was only fair that she name her warhammer as well.

She’s calling it “Murkypears”.

17 Obsidian, 207:
We’re in deep trouble.

It’s huge but everyone thought it was just a normal giant porcupine and nobody realized what it really was until it fell upon the dwarves outside the gate!

The militia is racing out to meet it but it’s already killed two dwarves! This is terrible!

18 Obsidian, 207:
If no other dwarves are killed by that monster, it will be because of the heroism of Zefon Lekgusil. She’s been facing it down with nothing more than her bare hands, keeping it occupied while other dwarves flee.

The militia has finally arrived, and Sarrak just drove his hammer through its head, so that should be it.

19 Obsidian, 207:
Mostib preserve us, it’s still alive! It’s got Zefon!

Oh no! It got her leg!

…I am seriously impressed with Zefon. The porcupine bit her leg off, but instead of giving up she’s doing her best to return the favor.

20 Obsidian, 207:
Haerdalas II finally finished off the porcupine by cutting it in half. We rushed Zefon and another wounded dwarf to the hospital but they had to wait for the doctor to finish treating Sir Humphrey.

Apparently while the rest of the militia was taking on the porcupine he was getting his fingers smashed in an altercation with another dwarf.

21 Obsidian, 207:
Tulon emerged from her workshop today bearing an impressive-looking spear.

1 Granite, 208:

Well, it’s been a year now so my term as overseer is up. I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t turn twelve and become a legal adult (I’ve been eleven for over a year now!) but otherwise I think things have gone pretty well!

We’ve got mountains of supplies, our militia is an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction, and our dike is completely full of magma!

As a reward for my devoted service, I’ve given myself a private dining room and bedroom.

Anyway, I am as of this moment officially relinquishing my position as overseer! If anybody needs me, I'll be in my dining room, admiring the view through the clear glass floor panels.

The save can be found here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11748

The game was running at about 15 FPS most of the time, but periodically it would drop to 0-1 FPS and stay there until I saved and quit, then reopened the save.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:10:35 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:54 pm »

I will download the save tonight. Should be able to start playing either tomorrow or Monday.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 83