Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212396 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #780 on: April 01, 2016, 07:05:44 pm »

In that case, the save will pass to PyroTechno, assuming he still lives. From a realistic standpoint, the next player is more plausibly Deus Asmoth.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:11:37 pm by Taupe »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 02, 2016, 06:09:16 am »

You know what? Go ahead and slot me in again at the end of the list. This is way more fun than the last one.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 02, 2016, 07:45:31 pm »

Ok, let's finish this off....Part one!

So we're in autumn, and the game's running slow. So most of the time I'm running it in the background....it takes about a week for a copper mechanism to get fitted to the Spike Room, so I'm swapping to rock ones for the rest of 'em unless I run out of time anyway. This is about 10 times faster....if I can keep making them fast enough (which is why I swapped to copper earlier: I could make more of them). The other traps in the airlock are being built nice and steadily. I think it might well be ready in time.

I have a great respect for the Giant Echinda that got attacked by the titan while I was off assembling traps in Summer. A month or two later, it's still not dead. Neither is the titan. I think the titan will win eventually (the echidna is not in good shape at all), but it's taken some damage at least. I think our best bet is to hope for a siege to clear it out...or weaken it further. This thing is easily a match for any military force we could throw at it.

I've reassigned more people to the militia. Our mace squad is back up to full strength, but very under-trained. I've revised the schedules to alternate training so we can get more done...with 5 squads (4 at full strength) at our current (low) population we really can't have any squads on 100% training, or on constant training. I'm also making more armor and bolts, and some new maces just in case.

Other than that....more tombs....some labour changes to get our farms running again, and I've set up war-training for some more animals, including another bear. We have a bobcat somewhere, which I'm having trained. When that's done, it can become a war animal. Also I'm setting up a mass slaughter of surplus animals.

Our current population is 96, with 20 children and infants.

------------
Edit: Caravan! No wagons because I had the bridges set to work on the depot. Cancelled the work, set the bridges for full trading. The titan is distracted enough to risk it. Also a child got a strange mood.

Not much to trade for, but a kobold showed up at the prospect of loot, took one look at the place, then ran off. Honestly I don't blame them.

-----Edit2: Caravan left! Sort of. I think one of them fell in the moat, and one of their horses somehow climbed the wall and got stuck. Then they decided to go via that bit of the map with the titan. Two guards dead already....just getting pushed by this thing is enough to collapse skulls and burst limbs. Artefact was a slate harp. Spikes progressing reasonably. Slight slowdown due to stockpile locations. Tombs going well, but out of doors. Expanding trade depot area.

-----Edit3: (Several hours of real time later)

.....Down to the last few spikes. Titan has killed the echidna. Well into winter now....but the cavern entrance will be finished....and I'm pretty sure at my current FPS I've got enough time to finish the year. Jolly good!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:49:32 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 03, 2016, 02:57:28 am »

Final update part 2:

On the 15th of Opal, the spikes were finally connected.

Unfortunately, our resident undead FB decided to hang around just outside the entrance. Thus, I may not be able to actually connect it to the cavern. Still: the upper airlock is functional.

Here's the levers and undead FB circled. Check notes to see what lever does what. That FB is fast from what I've seen of it. I don't think a miner is gonna outrun it.

A raven thrall turned up and was causing some trouble, but one of the militia axed nicely and it went away.

.....Rather than brave the undead forgotten beasts, I've elected to extend the trade depot tower a bit more before the end of my turn. It'll be lovely and pleasant.

------------------------------------------
Some time later
-----------------------------------------

And indeed, it was. I've mostly completed a new tower (roof/next floor is ordered, not completed). All is secure, the gates are locked up.....

And here's the turn: Dropbox

Points of interest for future overseers:

-The lake has a titan in it. Keep an eye on said titan, it is more than capable of wiping out the military.
-The caves are full of death and pain. Airlock is ready to deal with that.....but an undead FB is too close for it to be cut through to the cave yet.
-New tower on the main entrance. I've closed the bridges: Levers in the main above-ground buildings handle them. Check the notes screen
-Military is full-strength, but has serious skill and equipment issues. Don't send them into battle yet.
-Military training is rotating, two months of training, one month off. It's working really well.
-Watch for raven thralls. Also camels. The camel thralls are not funny.
-Do NOT colonise the lake
-Hospital well has some problems. Might be worth trying to pump water over?

And that is all. Sorry for the super-long turn. Hasn't been a good few weeks for me.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 03, 2016, 06:15:02 am »

May be able to dig a small shaft up and then to the wall nearest the titan, then smooth and carve fortifications, and distract it with a dwarf there, while another couple miners open the trap cave. Do undead titans retain their special attacks? And if so what did this one have?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 03, 2016, 06:53:38 am »

May be able to dig a small shaft up and then to the wall nearest the titan, then smooth and carve fortifications, and distract it with a dwarf there, while another couple miners open the trap cave. Do undead titans retain their special attacks? And if so what did this one have?

Deadly spittle I think. So...poison of some sort. But it's an undead (organic, I think) FB in fairly good condition....the poison is secondary to being a trap-avoiding, building-smashing thing that rips you apart.

Although I might be confusing it with a live FB that turned up shortly before the end of the year. I ignored that one because it'll just get ripped apart eventually anyway. One of the two had no special attack, the other had deadly spittle. Both of them looked fairly nasty.

Oh, and I forgot for that last update....I gave tombs to almost all the special named dwarves. Including the original Triaxx! Who is still Mysteriously Vanished, but his tomb says it's his last resting place so who am I to argue? They're not too fancy, but people can improve them if they want. By default most peeps (including McKiwi) get a slate or granite coffin, a cabinet or chest, and two silver statues from the mountain of them we apparently had sitting in storage.

Also I may have accidentally looted the dwarven caravan when I dismantled the old trade depot for renovations. Not sure how we'd get quite so many minecarts otherwise.

....I also added a saguaro wood column to Sir Humphrey's final resting place. It's what he would have wanted.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:56:55 am by Urist McKiwi »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 04, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »

Alright, it's my turn. I'll try to continue with what we've been doing.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 05, 2016, 04:56:56 am »

Nice to see we're progressing. Also nice that you put up that rotating military training system, McKiwi. The more people we have with military training, the better.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 05, 2016, 02:11:06 pm »

I removed the civilian command and nobody's getting killed, but more importantly things have stopped spamming interruptions. Otherwise, nothing interesting is happening an I'm going to just let the game run until it does.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »

I removed the civilian command and nobody's getting killed, but more importantly things have stopped spamming interruptions. Otherwise, nothing interesting is happening an I'm going to just let the game run until it does.

Yeah, if you open any of the outer bridges you'll want to turn on the alert....they keep trying to collect forbidden items, then cancelling when they get there. This results in two things:

1: Nothing gets done
2: People get bashed by titans/thralls/etc.

it's even worse with the militia

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2016, 02:32:43 pm »

Pretty much nothing is happening.

Good fucking luck, buddy!

This happened.

Go get 'em, boy!

And then things were calm again for a while.

Oh, another titan. Well, they can fight it out. WAIT IT HAS WINGS IT'LL COME FOR US! MARKSDWARVES!

Those marksdwarves were the only ones able to make it in time. May Armok have mercy.

Never mind. The slayer was none other than our own Urist Mckiwi.

AND THEN NOTHING HAPPENED FOR ANOTHER MONTH
 - I've had the furnace operators making all the steel they can.
 - I built my dwarf a little tower over the forges so she doesn't have to go far for drinks and such.
 - I also have my dwarf making copper bolts for the marksdwarves.

Luckily I was poking at the game at the time, because I saw this:

The titan got in through all those little canals! Why do we even have those!? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?

EVERYONE KILL IT

The titan weaves in and out of the canals, confusing the military. First on the scene is none other than our home-grown titanslayer, McKiwi. He does a bit of damage, but doesn't fare well. He is thrown into the canal by a body blow, where he strangely does not drown.

Traveller engages it next, scores a few hits but is webbed and chucked into the canal alongside McKiwi. More dwarves arrive. Several marksdwarves pelt the beast with bolts. A teamster dies. A crippled elite marksdwarf is struck in the neck. The titan continues to pound the mortally wounded dwarf while webbing the battlefield. More dwarves close in. Tosid the macelord has his leg broken in six places. The beast picks another target, a marksdwarf, throwing him backwards repeatedly. The beast is surrounded now. A brave macedwarf puts herself between the titan and the marksdwarf. The titan is surrounded now. Blunt weapons bounce away, but bolts and axes bite deep. Asmoth deals the final blow, cutting the beast in half with her sword.

Casualties:

3 wounded

Asmoth names her sword soon after. I think I'll floor over those canals.

I open the gate just in tome for the humans to arrive. They see a scary bird and leave a wagon behind. The law-giver just talks to the mayor, tells us everything is the same, and leaves. Well then.

While designating all the goblin crap for melting and dumping, I discovered an alarming amount of dwarves are wearing goblin armor or worse, elven. This will be rectified.

Is our nation dead? Where are all the migrants? Also, with so many in the military, almost nothing gets done without a Do Task Now on it. Dwarves will prefer to do individual combat training over civilian jobs. General lack of skilled workers/quality labor, blah blah blah.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2016, 06:20:59 pm »

Awesome updates!

Checking out McKiwi's save...

Seems like far too many dwarves for my liking don't have any sort of hauling labors enabled, for whatever reason. We have 5 farmers and one cook, and all but one of our farmers are in the military. I've tested on Mckiwi's save, and here's what you can do to free up labor. We don't have much dwarfpower, so every little bit helps.

Go to the military screen menu and set the train minimum orders to "2 minimum" or fewer. You can also set less training schedules (1 month of training, 2 months off). In fact, I would remove the empty quivers and the order of cactus from the training schedule altogether, their crossbow proficiency don't benefit much from training in a barracks anyway, unless you want them to be acceptable melee combatants.

In fact, if you need jobs done urgently, just unassign the zinc weaponrack from being used as a barracks, and set the training alert off.

EDIT: Also now that active world gen is a thing, I'm seeing new sites pop up all over the historical maps. For instance, we are now properly marked on the world map now. I'll post pics later when I have the time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:59:14 pm by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »

Gotcha. Another update tomorrow. Vile things have occurred. One miner died.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2016, 07:26:12 pm »

Two titans slain by ned dwarves, not bad.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »

...did you blow up my legs?

*checks*

You did! You utter monster! I liked those legs!

....still that's pretty good for a push attack from that thing. It must have had serious body mass, because while most of its actual attacks were harmless, every time it pushed things during my turn....they exploded.

-------------
And yeah I turned off a lot of hauling stuff because of job cancellation loops....I needed those people building spikes
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 83