Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212350 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:13 pm »

Prelude -- Strike the earth!

The last landmark they passed was a necromancer tower, eight days of walk to the east. Kemozo, Zuglarkun called it. A cursed place, no doubt, which thankfully could no longer be seen on the horizon. The desert of dream spread in all directions, masses of black sand under the burning sun. Why the monarchs had sent them here of all places was beyond his knowledge. Of their purpose, however, he had been dutifully informed. To create a dwarven wonder of a city, shining under the blazing sun, with spires iof steel and gems and gold. Magma would fill the dikes and moats and aqueducs of the city, creatings canals and waterfalls that flooded the entire landscape with Armok's very own blood. A marvel of technology, engineering and architecture. A monument to the gods themselves, even.

He just wished they hadn't chosen this desert.

''Hey Zuglarkun, what's the lake called again? He asked their architect, who handled the maps.
-The Ungodly Waters.
-Well that's... ominous.
-That's what the higher ups wanted. So that's where we'll be settling.''

She paused for a moment, her face sweating and burning under the sunlight. zuglarkun took her map out, looked around, and contemplated the landscape. In front of them laid a massive body of water, seemingly tame and ordinary. ''Maybe that's just a name. Many places have overblown names'', he told himself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
''Yup, Zuglarkun said, that's definitely the place.'' She pointed at a 4x4 area along the lake's eastern bank, where the endless black sand dunes turned into sandy silt clay. The lake itself seemed to know this was a special place, for it pointed inland at this very spot, creating a small, misformed bay.

The wagon stopped, and he went to tend to the horse and bull, both struggling under the sunlight.

The seven of them cheered, glad to know that their long, intense journey had finally come to an end. Ghills had been chosen for this task, creating their group and calling it the Channels of Melting. The rest of them had followed, as they were all long term acquaintances. The caravan came with standart tools, but each of them insisted on a few extra items. They also discussed heavily during the journey, all of them agreeing that if they were to settle a new fortress, they might as well get overblown titles themselves.

Two picks, as well as two axes. He himself asked for some animals, for food. Gwolfsky suggested dogs, for he admired them for their loyalty. Two cats completed the group, along with the two wagon animals. deserts were unwelcoming, so they had packed large numbers of drinks and dried meat. Extra plump helmet spawns were his suggestion, in case the dreadful heat caused damage to the crops. Ghills suggested fresh fruits and vegetable, which she'd turn into booze or meals in last resort. they also packed large numbers of clay and microcline, so the mason and potter could get to work straight away.

Ghills Vigordikes was their expedition leader, which the civilisation leader chose on account of her name. apparently dikes had a mythical signification to the creators of this project, and such a name would bring fortune and good luck to this endeavor. Taupe wondered how much of this operation was actually powered by sheer faith and hope, considering they'd been dispatched to the Desert of Dreams.

Regardless of the reasons, Ghills was a qualified dwarf by all account. She was a skilled cook and brewer, as well as a novice doctor in many diciplines. Come good or ill luck, she would be there to keep them in top shape. As such, she was called their Lifeline. She got along well with most of them, but somehow, she bears a grudge against the mercenary dispatched for their protection. When asked if this would be a problem in the future, she said that ''she was doing fine''.

Triaxx Castlespire was their miner, and also liked to cut the gems he found while digging. He had a sharp mind and a loyal spirit, although he could be sloppy at times. He wasn't the strongest or tallest of fellas, but at least he was smart enough to dig a tunnel without collapsing anything, which was more than most miners could boast of. They probably wouldn't need to create large chambers and monuments underground, but finding riches and gems within the earth would be a great asset to the wealth and style of this ambitious fortress. As the first and only pick user of their group, triaxx claimed the position of Chief Miner. all new miners would have to report to him and his beautiful, well-groomed beard.

Zuglarkun Kindlewhips was a shred and creative architect, with an iron will and a great aspiration for craftdwarfship. While her spatial awareness was sometimes questionable, she was a great potter and building designer. People soon learned not to question her poor spatial sense as she read the map, as ''She has trouble controlling her temper''. She took the title of Master Builder, with her knowledge of both architecture and pottery. Like Ghills, she had basic medical training, to make sure they didn't all die in this desert...

Flame Shoveclasp was a scrawny dwarf with hints of grey in his beard, despite being only eighty-five. Underneath his strange look and weak build, he was a durable worker with a gnawk for mechanic and masonry. He cared not for art or beauty, focusing instead on efficiency and purpose, which made him a Grand Engineer indeed. His expertise with gears, pillars, blocks and pumps would be essential to the grand project that brought them all the way here.

Flame was not exactly a social dwarf, instead focusing on his designs and ideas, keeping to himself. ''I have been considering Egul Judgesytem'' He replied rudly, when asked what he was thinking about during their travels, for he also liked to muse on the divines...

Gwolfsky Brandhalls was a rugged pirate, altho he insisted that he was just a simple fisherdwarf who liked to secretly train with an axe and murder everything he found. due to his reckless desire to fight sea creatures, he brought six dogs with them. As soon as he learned of a mysterious lake near the settling location, he was onboard. As they traveled, zuglarkun began to mention strange, terrifying stories about the Ungodly waters. Gwolfsky was feeling less confident now. ''W... Worried? Do I look worried?'' he bluffed when confronted about this. He thinks honor and dicipline and traditions are dumb; Gwolfsky is too school for school. he was a mighty axedwarf, and the Slayer of the Sea.

His name was Taupe Arrowsoul, and altho he was a simple farmer, he was glad to travel along his friends. Oh how he loved to celebrate ''artisans, their materials and the tools to shape them!'' He wasn't the strongest or sharpest dwarf in the mountainhomes, but he was dedicated, tireless and healthy. He had to be. How else were his friends to remain fed if he didn't work as hard as he could? Such was his lot; to tackle the menial tasks so that gifted dwarves could create wonders. His job was to tend the fields, feed the animals, train and breed them. People suggested that he be called the Fields Supervisor, which he kind of liked.

Thoryane Glazedfaith was their axe-for-hire, a mercenary dispatched to protect them during the journey. Gwolfsky insisted she comes along, as she reminded him of an old buddy, Thorin, altho this one was actually a girl. ''She likes axes, axes are awesome!'' He insisted. Ghills did not like her one bit, and the feeling was mutual. the expedition leader said that any mercenary that didn't come with a decent suit of armor was useless to them. Still, despite this animosity, Thoryane was fond of a lot of them, and was glad to finally have people to call her own. ''How great it is to be surrounded by family!'' she conffessed one night, around the campfire. Despite her proffession, she seemed rather creative, eloquent and wise. Sometimes, she said, she wish she'd pursued a more artistic lifestyle. Perhaps this new life will give her the chance she seeks... For started, she took the title of Proud Defender, which sounded more noble than mercenary.

Those were the seven dwarves that came to the Desert of dreams. The Channels of Melting, meant to create a beautiful, blazing masterpiece of a fortress. Many nights were spent around the campfire, discussing the name of the fortress. They had finally agreed on a speficic name.

Murderflood.

''Strike the earth'', Ghills said, as was the dwarven tradition. It was the early days of Granite...

Yet as they prepared to settle this new dwarven outpost, something sinister and unholy lurked in the southern plains. Amidst the black sandy hills, the denizens of the Ungodly Water spied on our heroes. Was Murderflood to be known for the blazing channels dreamed by the dwarves? Or would it be ironically remembered for the horrors that poured from the lake?

Spoiler: OOC Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:06:53 pm by Taupe »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 08:08:26 am »

What's to hate. I look AWESOME.

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 08:12:19 am »

Was Murderflood to be known for the blazing channels dreamed by the dwarves? Or would it be ironically remembered for the horrors that poured from the lake?

It may be both......

Also, awesome update as always, Taupe :)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:34 pm »

<3 that you did character portraits for the starting seven. Also, is that a sextant I spy dangling from my neck? Nice touch there.

About the butchering, my understanding is that as long as the corpse isn't on the re-animating part of the biome, it should be pretty safe. So keep refuse far away from the lake (including the sections underground). Don't just take my word for it though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 01:28:46 pm »

Either a Sextant or a Compass (Drawing Tool).

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »

About the butchering, my understanding is that as long as the corpse isn't on the re-animating part of the biome, it should be pretty safe. So keep refuse far away from the lake (including the sections underground). Don't just take my word for it though.
Either a Sextant or a Compass (Drawing Tool).
It is, indeed, a drawing compass!

<3 that you did character portraits for the starting seven. Also, is that a sextant I spy dangling from my neck? Nice touch there.
Glad people are enjoying those! By the way, the first page now contains the deity list for our civilisation, thanks to Zuglarkun. The pantheon is very dwarven, very straightfowardly named. Be sure to check whom your favorite dwarf likes to worship!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:43:47 pm by Taupe »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 02:14:11 pm »

Whoa hey, I'm just the map gen guy. Besides, we all voted for that map remember? You folks requested for all the !!FUN!! options and I simply delivered the goods. *Big innocent puppy dog eyes*

Also...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:16:10 pm by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »

Also...
Oh no oh no oh no... It has begun.

EDIT: Spring is complete! It was an interesting and stressful first season! The long process of creating various crude pictures can now begin!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:41:31 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 04:00:31 pm »

I'm a male.
A male mechanic.
A male mechanic who likes serrated discs.
BRING ON THE WEAPON TRAPS

Also it's pretty cool that I like giant lions and can handle stress. My curse has been turning around lately.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »

I'm a male.
A male mechanic.
A male mechanic who likes serrated discs.
BRING ON THE WEAPON TRAPS

Also it's pretty cool that I like giant lions and can handle stress. My curse has been turning around lately.
Almost as if people are paying non-zero attention to your dwarfings now... :p

And yes, I saw the serrated disk preference and the antisocial genius vibe, and I was like, ''Yup, that's our mechanic right there!''
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:04:15 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »

cool

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 05:36:40 pm »

That otter is really gloomy.. I hope we don't get any weasels. None of my adventurers so far have ever managed to strike down a weasel corpse.

Anyway, awesome update! I'm really looking forward to see what kind of fate befalls Murderflood..

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »

First Spring -- Fear under the sun

A monstruous creature is spotted on the horizon. Above us, to the south, a terrifying, animated otter corpse skulks around. It is only a matter of time before it spots our settlement. We must ask quickly. I turn toward Ghills, and ask her what we should do.

''Actually, why don't you take charge as overseer?
-Me? But I'm just a farmer! You are our leader!
-Yeah, hum, I believe in you! Don't you have a book in the wagon that could help us?''

Ghills unwillingness to take over command of the group is strange, but I have been chosen. I follow our cook's advice, and browse through our wares. We can salvage this. Nothing has died or gone missing yet. The year is still young.

There it is! An old, dusty tome from a strange fortress named Bonepillars. It details the strange adventures of a group of dwarves besieged by zombies on all side, the moment they arrive to their destination. thankfully, QuQuasar the dwarf explains a few steps that may help us survive! We will need a bunker, and quickly! The book details the construction of a two story high wall, but I doubt zombie otters can actually climb.

I designate a safety perimeter around our wagon, where I pasture our various animals, so that they don't wander off and attract the otter's attention. I tell Triaxx to grab a pick and start excavating a small room underneat us, with enough space to build a workshop. There shall be a staircase down at each corner of the wagon. Everyone else, start building a wall around this 5x5 area! And don't go outside the safety perimeter.

I leave a note so that people know we are under danger. Then I tell Gwolfsky to deconstruct the wagon. We'll need the wooden logs.

We start with the southern section of the wall, creating a large mass of microcline boulders to block the view. The Otter haven't seen us yet. It wanders the hill right next to us, sometimes too close for comfort. Legends speak of theOtters, an ancient race of undead creatures that once plagued dwarfkind. They say the dwarves built a giant wall to keep them at bay, and then hid underground, resulting in the Long Night. They even have to join forces with the dreadful children of the forest, the elves, to defeat these monsters.

I can hardly believe my eyes! The Otters have been gone for eight thousand years, legends say... Yet there it is, a monstrous corpse animated by foul winter heat magic, it's eyes burning a pale blue green glow... Thankfully, this one looks rather decomposed, and can't move too far. What I fear tho, is that the lake may reanimate the things that the Otter kills. Every creature that we leave outside will soon die and join the ranks of the dead. A chilling thought.

Atop a rare, magnificient Highwood tree, a fleet of Giant Wren chill on the branches. for nopw they seem safe, but if they were do die, the Otters would have an unstoppable army of flying corpses.

The Otter stalks the bird. More giant wrens reach the tree. I do not like this at all. I turn to my friends, and tell them ''A wall won't be enough. We will need a roof, a sealed one.''

After two days, the Otter jumps into the Ungodly Waters, and begins floating around. Our wall is mostly finished, and this may be the only chance we have of acquiring some wood. I tell Gwolfsy to grab his axe and bring back some logs while the way is clear. A wood stockpile is designated around the mason workshop.

Gwolfsky is happy to oblige. He hasn't been doing much since he arrived, and he's itching to kick things.

Meanwhile, my efforts to train our dogs for war have been fruitful. By unleashing my inner fury, I've demonstrated the dogs how to be fierce and scary.

Mostly it involves screaming a lot and showing your teeth.

Gwolfsky is back with some wood. Our carpenter Zuglarkun gets to work, and complete our first wooden item, a door. At last, our little dwelling can be sealed from the exterior. While it is still safe to venture out, tho, I send Triaxx to remove the ramps near our wall. don't want anything to just walk atop our fort, do we?

With the wall finished, Flame the mason and engineer begins to carve what's left of our respectable stash of microcline into blocks, which we'll need to create a roof. Two of the ground staircase down are replaced with microcline up/down stairs, allowing us to access the roof. Flame begins work on two rock floor hatches, which we'll use to complete our defences and seal the roof from potential air dangers.

Actually, it seems the Otter has left for now. More will come, I'm sure, but for now we have a few days of tranquility, which I want to make use of. I tell Gwolfsky to kick down each boulder of the wall, one by one, and replace them with freshly-carved microcline blocks. By retrieving the raw stone and carving it, we'll be able to get about 72 extra blocks at the end of the day.

With construction complete, and our lives secure for now, it is time for each of us to jump into our respective tasks. Triaxx begins carving the rest of the preliminary hideout. The first basement is nothing but a staircase with some wood piles and a mason workshop. We dare not extend the floor farther then the upper walls, in case a flyer or a falling object rolled down the ceiling, and created a cave in. A hole leading into the fortress from outside the wall would obviously be bad.

The following floor is carved the same way as the mason floor, except that a 3x3 area expands in each direction, leaving room for 4 workshops, and some storage in the middle. I designate another wood stockpile, and tell Gwolfsky to bring a second tree inside. He grumbles, and call his loyal wardog to his side, before venturing outside.

The 3rd basement is to be dug like the second, but this time Triaxx hits Ryolite. Or whatever it is called. Look, I'm a farmer. Zuglarkun is pleased, as this means she'll have more materials for workshops, bridges and furniture.

The second basement is put to use. Wood in the middle, prompting Gwolfsjky to begin hauling. This is our only safe sand layer, so I call dibs on two of the 4 alcoves. Ghills claims the northern one, and begins to build a kitchen. Zuglarkun has already used the western corner to build a carpenter workshop, which was crucial for the door. I begin moving some non-grazing animals inside, to avoid infighting due to low space, then it's plump helmet planting time, baby!

Gwolfsky comes in, visibly troubled.

''Guys, something is up and as a fucking pirate innocent fisherdwarf I can tell you this is not supposed to happen.''

Indeed, a strange mist is forming over the Ungodly Water. Whatever the effects, we better stay away. I activate the Danger Mode alert once more, and everyone rushes inside. Clearly, that's another reason to build a tight roof. Before long, the body of water has come alive, obscured by a tangible, opaque and moving mass of mist. The whole thing is incredibly unsettling. It is as if the water was alive, pulsing with strange movements, poking around with lifelike tendrils of vapor and thick fog. Do the Otters come when the fog sets, or is the fog created by the Otters?

''Gwolfsky, I doubt we'll be able to get some fishing done anytime soon. Please use those blocks to build a ceiling.''

I remember one of the important rules about our project. ''Floor before roof, always''. Trees are devilish creatures, and can destabilize the nature of reality itself when growing indoors. We'll need to floor over the sandy dune. Thankfully, Gwolfsky has retrieved large amounts of log from the two trees he fell, which should be enough to power a small pottery industry. We'll need a Kiln for Zuglarkun, and Thoryane can take a shot at wood burning. ''Hey, Triaxx, how's that digging going? we need more room for workshops!''

''Mate, I've struck native copper, how sweet is that?
-Pretty much! say, once you are done with all the digging, mind trying to smelt it? We have no metalworkers right now
-Yeah whatever.''

That's all the more reasons to kickstart that charcoal businessQ

While her nemesis is busy building a wood furnace, Ghills comes to me and explains why she hates Thoryane so much. ''I was told I'd be the expedition leader, but that was a lie! A horrible lie to get me and my friends onboard! secretly the leader was at the bottom of the list, not the top. They've named Thoryane as the official leader, because a cook is not impressive enough, while a millitary figure commands respect!''

I think for a moment. I'm not the smartest of the bunch, but sometimes I get some good ideas.

''What if... what if we simply all declared ourself nobles? then Thoryane wouldn't be special anymore!
-That.. that would work, I guess'' said Ghills.

Gwolfsky asks for a title, but then we explain that being a noble means playing by the rules, to which he replies ''No thanks then'' and head upstairs to kick something and train with his axe. Thoryane becomes militia commander, as expected. Ghills acts as Chief Medical dwarf. Because farming also involves a lot of trading and appraising, I'm to be our broker for now. Zuglarkun will act as manager, for she is smart and organized. Flame likes to keep to himself, so he'll be our bookkeeper. Triaxx doesn't get a title, but I explain that as our chief miner, jeweler and blacksmith, he's already the most dwarven person on earth, so he doesn't really need an impressive title on top of that.

Zuglarkun is done building beds, chairs and a table. The thirs floor now includes a dorm/barrack, as well as four chairs surrounding a single table, creating the most claustrophobic meeting area, dinning hall and office space ever known to dwarfkind. Still, it's not like we'll actually be spending time at our desks for now anyway.

Across the room, Zuglarkun is melting our clay stockpile into earthenware bricks, using the charcoal provided by Thoryane, using the wood chopped down by Gwolfsky. Teamwork, yay! The others are busy building the roof.

Gwolfsky is on the roof when he spots some new creatures. a flock of ravens, and a tiercel peregrine. ''What's up with this place and fucking birds?'' he moans ''I can't fucking fish birds!''

Flame finishes some bookwork, and announces that we now have about 100 drinks stockpiled. Our food stockpile isn't increasing much, but at least it'll taste better now that Ghills has finished a few prepared meals.

''We've got lobster cakes and rat cakes!'' she announces gleefully, coming out of the kitchen.

Then comes the annoyed voice of Gwolfsky once more.

''Guys, something is happening! It's the mist again!
-Is it over the lake?
-Yeah it's not leaving the water... but...
-Then just close the door and stay inside, we'll be fine.
-No, you gotta see this!''

The man is insisting, so we just give up and head to the roof. We watch as the northern bay comes to unlife, animated by strange tendrils of mist. A sight we've already beheld, but an impressive and awe-inspiring one nonetheless. Until we notice it.

''Oh dear EGul Judgesystem, have mercy on our souls...'' whispers Flame, as he watches the dark, hulkering shadow rising from the sea.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:03:28 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:35 am »

HOLY SHITFUCK

also nice drawing

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher