Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212313 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:19 am »

The various turns and journals are archived now on the first page. I took some creative liberties with the naming of Triaxx's logs. Traixx -> Let me know if you'll like them removed or renamed for whatever reason.
Nice job buddy. You're really bringing this thread's lore and details to life. On a similar note, the dwarfed players are now up to date, unless I'm missing somebody. Six of the 17 named dwarves have perished so far, in about a year and a half. This place is going places.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:01:36 am by Taupe »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:05 am »

Blitzgamer thinks I have a problem with him. I'm not sure where he got that idea. To appease him, hopefully, and stop him wandering around, wailing, I've ordered a Bowyers workshop built. I've also asked the Manager, whom... Is a complete nobody. Anyway, he's been asked to see to an order of crossbows.

As I'm working on this, I'm forced to grab my pickaxe and fend off a Blind Cave Ogre. I hold it back long enough for the military to arrive, and after some minor acrobatics, one of our swordsdwarves manages to split it's head with copper short sword.

Well, it looks like BlitzGamer isn't going to be making much of anything for a bit. His left arm is mangled pretty badly. I guess that Ogre did some damage.

Now we've got another strange mood. And it seems the last one never ended. I guess the dwarf died from thirst while trying to collect all his goods. The miner has claimed a spare mason's workshop. We're up to three of them, so it's not much of an issue. And he almost immediately starts work. That was easy.

It's a granite coffin, named Joinbolted. That's not really a good sign. Like, at all.

Chief Miner Triaxx, 11-01.

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2015, 11:19:33 am »

Blitz Gamer's Travel Log:
OW OW OW OW! This is just great, my freaking arm. I must be really off my game for this to happen. I wish I had some stimpacks, those would fix me right up. Alas, Brok Flower and Xander Root do not exist on this plane. Hopefully the doctor can get me fixed up.
Microline for everyone!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »

There are hotkeys now for the new workshops (F3), The first cave entrance (F4), the Second Cave Entrance (F5), and the catacombs (F6).

---

Maybe we shouldn't let anyone know all our doctors seem dead. Except the chief medical dwarf who's busy making rock mugs. I promoted a Fishery Worker and Thresher to the position of doctor. I mean, gutting fish and bashing wheat against a board to remove all the grains is almost as good as actually being skilled at doctoring. Right?

I've planned out all the doors for the currently dug workshops. Upshot to all this, is we found some silver while digging out the workshops. Soon enough, we'll be able to make hammers. For the moment, I've ordered a few weapon traps with a single green glass serrated disc placed in front of the doors to the caverns. It'll be enough to slice up most of the less threatening creatures, and could injure the more dangerous ones. That should stop the critters from getting into the fortress.

As I say that another cave Crocodile turns up, and kills a dwarf. The military, races in, bashes it in the head with a copper warhammer, and then vanishes like a bunch of half-size batmen. It's moderately disconcerting I admit. There's also a minor troglodyte infestation. I order the military to deal with that as well. They get to the ones they can reach, and then disperse. It's kind scary.

I'm busy planning out bedrooms and ordering the construction of beds, when there's a scream. This isn't an unusual turn of events, but we have a Forgotten Beast by the name of Spugac Simo has come. It's an Enormous Hairy Pterandon, and it's been spotted breathing fire. Thankfully, for the moment at least it's sealed in the lower caverns, and so it's A) Not an immediate threat and B) soon to be my successor's problem.

On the other hand, our Bookkeeper is now also our Mechanic and he's both gotten a handle on the book keeping so we know what we have, but he's also got the traps very nearly installed. My successor is of course free to replace the traps with full bunches of weapons if he wishes. I suspect they'd be less than effective at dealing with a Forgotten Beast.

Well, that's nice. The beast has managed to set the second cavern layer on fire. He's busy fighting Bugbat's it seems. This is absolutely fantastic. It manages to keep him busy until it's time.

All dwarves gather in the meeting hall. High over my head, I raise the golden, gem encrusted key to the overseer's Liquor Cabinet. Then I draw it down, and give it a mighty heave into the air. Whomsoever catches it will be overseer next.

And then I cheese it before they realize I drank the entire cabinet.

Chief Miner Triaxx, 1st Granite year 202 of our great lord Armok. QUACK!

---

The Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11194
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:25:16 pm by Triaxx2 »

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2015, 02:05:02 pm »

If anyone is upset by blitz being aware of other universes, let me know and I will stop it
Microline for everyone!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2015, 02:40:08 pm »

If anyone is upset by blitz being aware of other universes, let me know and I will stop it
Fourth wall breaking is a mixed bag. Depending on how it's done, you'll end up with either a new and fresh perspective, or just chunks of wall cluttering the place. Subtlety is your friend in this.

Also Triaxx, I assume you are now officially done with your year? I'll make sure to contact McKiwi right away to let him know he's up next. all that's left now is to upload the save. Good job on your turn, too! I'll be sure to load up the file and check how the place has progressed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:49:49 pm by Taupe »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »

Fourth wall breaking is a mixed bag. Depending on how it's done, you'll end up with either a new and fresh perspective, or just chunks of wall cluttering the place. Subtlety is your friend in this.

Also, it was kind of McDuck's thing in the original Ardentdikes. So if done *well* then it's pretty fun. Take a read of how DuckThatQuacks pulled it together and see if anything would work here. :)

Alas, no Sir Humphrey Cactusson in this save so I can't RP as a cactus. I am very disappointed in you all.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:33:42 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »

Any idea how my poor dorf is doing with his singular foot? Still an active member of the military and all?

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »

Blitz's thing is awareness of being in a video game and quick references to other games, that's about it
Microline for everyone!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2015, 07:43:00 pm »

Sorry to break it to you Haerdalas (awesome ref), you've been dead since before I started I believe? You may have bled out at some point. We kind of went through a lot of doctors.

I'll upload the save this evening.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2015, 07:45:24 pm »

Sorry to break it to you Haerdalas (awesome ref), you've been dead since before I started I believe? You may have bled out at some point. We kind of went through a lot of doctors.
On the plus side, your dwarf's description now has more colors!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2015, 09:24:37 pm »

There's also a ghost who's body I can't seem to find. He popped up in the last month or so, and I don't think I remembered to have a slab done for him.

The Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11194

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:50 pm »

Downloaded the save. Let's have a look.

Hmmm. Yes. That is a lot of fire, isn't it?

First things first, I'm going to mess with the first cavern  layer a little (a nice bridge for the entrance). Then I'm going to take stock of what we have here. From this stage it looks like "Not much", but that's something, at least!

Edit: Actually, first things first, let's make some more farms and get some drinks brewed so that people aren't running outside to drink from the lake. I don't trust lakes. And start some plans....there's a nice little sandy outcrop that looks just right for future fortification.....once we've got a few more people.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:56:53 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:21 pm »

Hey, it's been two years since we moved to this strange and unwelcoming desert. A lot has happened in that crazy amount of time, I tell ya! Let's take a tour of the fortress, shall we?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Starting at the bottom, the second cavern layer, blocked by a wall and slowly filling with corpses and fire and burning corpses.

One layer above, we have two highwood door and a weapon trap protecting us from whatever undead lurks down below. Safe.

Right above that, a long row of rooms being excavated. Triaxx sure loves his digging.

Then, above the empty 3x3 rooms, we have three layers of interconnected workshop areas. Can also be used for storage by putting the appropriate materials above or below a given station, I suppose.

A bookkeeper office and some coffin rows. A few of them are made of ''unidentified material''. What the hell.

Above this, we reach the older fortress. the mine/werebear containment facility, then the founding workshops, and the tightly packed living areas.

And above that, the various improvements to... Wait. Triaxx did not expand the surface facilities? Damn miners! Even the chairs have not been placed next to the dinning table I installed. :/

That sure would explain why the expedition leader is entirely furious against Triaxx.

It seems that 18 dwarves have died in Murderflood so far, which is half the current population. I'm not sure this survival rate will attract many new migrants, but that may work our way until we can expand the fortress further.

Here are the current residents of the fortress. Maybe some of you will want to claim them as your own. Let's take a look at a few of the already named ones, especially our newcomers.

Monster Slayer Thoryane is turning out to be an exceptional dwarf, both physically and mentally. Her various dabbling in many administration tasks sure sharpened her already superior attributes. she makes a damn fine commander and founder, I'll tell you that.

Gwolfsky is trying to catch up on the melee side, and took part in a fight against a non-neutralised opponent this year, earning himself a troglodyte kill. He also has the most friends in the fortress from what I can see, no doubt because of his rugged eyepatch.

Here's our newest doctor, miraculously alive thus far.

And his travelling companion the armorsmith Sanctume.

Haerdalas is somehow still alive, despite the latest overseer's claims. He's still missing a foot, but he's learned to use a crutch by now.

This lady claims to be Zuglarkun's reincarnation, even tho she is clearly 90-ish years old.

Here's Blitz Gamer, who has suffered some severe injuries recently. thankfully, his days are brightened by his newborn son Onget Ridership.

Sarrak and some of his friends are still alive and kicking, taking part in cavern raids and monster hunts whenever they can. Here are their tallied kills.

And finally, here's Nujux our misguided woodcutter. He likes to say his own name a lot.

Now, you can say a lot of things about Triaxx. That he failed to expand the surface fortress, or spent all his term digging random rooms, or didn't get along with most of the newcomers. While somewhat true, these allegations i can get by. He's an old friend and I can forgive him many things. But there's one thing you don't do. Not to dwarves.

You don't fucking abscond to your underground complex with all the booze.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:15 pm »

Yes, I've already placed orders for some new, much larger farms. And told some peeps to go make booze.

I'm also starting work on fortifying that little sand outcrop just south of the little tower thingie. It's about the right size for a proper compound when we've got the materials necessary for it. For now, I'm just doing some channeling and ramp removal.

Edit: Just stole a giant peregrine from the elves. And some berries. No drinks, alas.
Edit2: oooh, evil mist. Always nice. Time for a confession though: I've never played in an evil biome before. I don't think that's gonna cause issues though....the mist is nice and safely out of the way, and I know the basic rule is "avoid it, and anything that comes out of it".
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:09:56 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 83