Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212387 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:10 pm »

No chance of a caravan arriving with cloth to trade before the mood turns fatal?
We'd have to wait for dwarves in autumn. There are no traders for summer, and elves usually remain around for ten seconds on the first month.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:47 pm »

Zuglakun II had a mood but we had no cloth so yeah, time to roll up V3.0.

Damn it! What a waste! I was in the middle of conceptualizing and fleshing out a cool story and all, trying to link up the senile old woodcutter turned mason's backstory (fought off a bleak brute and its consort, as well as bronze colossus) with the backstory of the former architect and how she usurped the "Zuglarkun" name (more of a title than a name). Now all that work has gone to waste  :-[

On the bright side, I don't have to explain the reincarnation angle there and just chalk it up to the old lady being an wannabe imposter.

Well it ain't Murderflood without some death dealing every year, and the old coot finally went all senile cloudcuckoolander on us. I wonder if that will meet the quota for this year?

I tried, sorry. But I couldn't get any cloth made in time. I probably could have managed it if I wasn't so rusty with setting up a textiles industry. On the plus side, we now have all the workshops required (.....scattered around the fort....) to prevent this from happening next time. Maybe.

On the plus side, you only went mad. So you've got a few months of gibbering before you die of thirst, potentially. Any thoughts on who you'd like as your third dwarf?

That goes for anyone else who needs dorfing/redorfing.....you can see our new arrivals in the first of the two screenshots above.

(Also as someone who went through 3 dead dwarves and 5 incarnations in 20 years (one was a rename) on Moltenchannels, I must congratulate you on managing to be on your third dwarf by the summer of Year 3.)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2015, 12:17:52 am »

I tried, sorry. But I couldn't get any cloth made in time. I probably could have managed it if I wasn't so rusty with setting up a textiles industry. On the plus side, we now have all the workshops required (.....scattered around the fort....) to prevent this from happening next time. Maybe.
We should have a few seeds for pig tail, adding a very small farm for them may help.

(Also as someone who went through 3 dead dwarves and 5 incarnations in 20 years (one was a rename) on Moltenchannels, I must congratulate you on managing to be on your third dwarf by the summer of Year 3.)
At this rate, I almost hope he chooses something like a cheese-maker or a milker, so we don't lose an important worker within the month :p

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2015, 12:28:38 am »

At this rate, I almost hope he chooses something like a cheese-maker or a milker, so we don't lose an important worker within the month :p

Close, but not quite. I'll like Fikod Serlolok the siege engineer please, and enable building designer labors for her while you're at it thanks. Could you also post her details including skills?

At the rate my characters are going, you'll be able to track the age of the fortress just by looking at how many Zuglarkuns are dead.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:34:02 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:40 am »

At the rate my characters are going, you'll be able to track the age of the fortress just by looking at how many Zuglarkuns are dead.
What's really weird is that they are dying slowly and painfully. Infecting, untreated injuries... Madness and thirst... your dwarves are not going out in pleasant fashions.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 12:36:28 am »

What's really weird is that they are dying slowly and painfully. Infecting, untreated injuries... Madness and thirst... your dwarves are not going out in pleasant fashions.

Its a privilege that comes with the title.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:11 am »

Close, but not quite. I'll like Fikod Serlolok the siege engineer please, and enable building designer labors for her while you're at it thanks. Could you also post her details including skills?

Ok, I'm playing along while uploading.....here's your stats:

Not a bad mix, but definitely something to work on over time.

Ah. Well.....ok. Let's get everyone inside and.......

Oh.

Ah.......This is a bit embarrassing but......um.......

Zuglarkun....who would you like your fourth incarnation to be?

Spoiler: Extra details (click to show/hide)

I'll write this up in-character later. I just got a bit waylaid by the werebear attack. But things are going reasonably well under the leadership of Sir Humphrey Cactusson.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:31:37 am by Urist McKiwi »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2015, 03:23:29 am »

Ok, to account for all the untimely Zuglarkun deaths, the dwarf section on the first page now includes the years of passing, so we can keep track of who died when exactly. (Short answer: everyone, all the time)

Also, Triaxx, while the tour of the fortress made it sound like I was annoyed, it's a good thing that we have actual facilities and storage to kickstart our projects. The workshop section is pretty nice (if absurdly gigantic) and we certainly needed a large supply of stone to build anything in the first place. Now's probably a good time to ask if you'd like a second turn, before more people ask for a spot on the list.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:58:15 am by Taupe »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2015, 04:09:23 am »

Ok, to account for all the untimely Zuglarkun deaths, the dwarf section on the first page now includes the years of passing, so we can keep track of who died when exactly. (Short answer: everyone, all the time)

Also, Triaxx, while the tour of the fortress made it sound like I was annoyed, it's a good thing that we have actual facilities and storage to kickstart our projects. The workshop section is pretty nice (if absurdly gigantic) and we certainly needed a large supply of stone to build anything in the first place. Now's probably a good time to ask if you'd like a second turn, before more people ask for a spot on the list.

I'll certainly get back on the list for Some Time Later once this turn is over. It's been rather fun. At this rate the quotes page is going to be rather interesting when it eventually gets filled out.

The below-ground facilities have been pretty useful....I've burned a lot of stone already, but I haven't had to waste time with loads of mining. We could use some coal though....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:11:22 am by Urist McKiwi »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2015, 04:55:42 am »

The best bet right now is to harvest spore trees and burn them. Maybe wall off a large section of the non-burning cavern layer? Like super tighthly and quickly enough before something murderous claims it. Then we'd have a sizeable section where we can harvest new trees. We cant waste too much fuel on dumb, frivolous items, but having some available will be crucial. I get the feeling that sooner or later a lot of areas wont be too welcoming, better call dibs on what we can right now.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2015, 05:17:20 am »

The best bet right now is to harvest spore trees and burn them. Maybe wall off a large section of the non-burning cavern layer? Like super tighthly and quickly enough before something murderous claims it. Then we'd have a sizeable section where we can harvest new trees. We cant waste too much fuel on dumb, frivolous items, but having some available will be crucial. I get the feeling that sooner or later a lot of areas wont be too welcoming, better call dibs on what we can right now.

Hmm. I was trying to seal that cavern off (since people are lemming-rushing it for webs), but I suppose I could extend the walls a little...

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2015, 06:17:49 am »

Ah.......This is a bit embarrassing but......um.......

Zuglarkun....who would you like your fourth incarnation to be?

*facepalm* (- _ - ')

orz

This is sooooo gonna be a running gag isn't it? I can already tell its gonna be a reoccurring theme.

--

Making progress on the write ups. I have one done up that I'll post later on during your turn. The other needs a little polishing but is good to go once I get the pictures up. For the sake of story telling consistency, I'll postphone redorfing for now. I'll probably take another dwarf in the next migration wave. We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:20:07 am by Zuglarkun »

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2015, 06:48:51 am »

So, my bane once more rises, and this time old Haerdalas is not quite fast enough to escape death. I suppose I need to find a new dorf, now. Hmm.

Any chance of getting a look at the combat report of my death? And maybe the kitten's death.... I mind amusement in the thought of the kitten beating up a werebear.

(in terms of re-dorfing, could I please be another military dorf, no real preference in type. I shall be Haerdalas once more, a title passed down since ages long passed (read, about 3 years ago) among those who fear the night!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:55:33 am by Haerdalas »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2015, 06:54:21 am »

I'll take another turn at the end, because I know how these turn lists run.

Ah, check the workshop lower left of the stair well. There was a metric ton of charcoal there for no reason I could explain. I only asked for ten because the smelting was complaining, and next time I look there's been an explosion. Also the wood furnace was gone, so I suspect I accidentally ordered it deconstructed.

As for the size, there are two reasons: First of all, 5x5 is the optimal size for anything except the siege workshop, but I've never actually built one. I've tried 3x3 or 4x4, but they always ended up with a space issue because of blocked tiles. 5x5 is large enough to maneuver around them, and manages a nice symmetry. As for the number, sometimes it's easier to mass produce things like the bolts or trading mugs. Plus there should be room for at least one of every workshop.

The room around the first cavern entrance is large enough you could use it as an airlock. Close the outer door, move stone for walls in, then use a burrow to put masons in there with the military, then switch out what doors are locked, and build the walls. I don't think that Forgotten Beasts even show up in the first layer. I've never seen one at least.

Also, I think I'm winning the Overseership: Number of werebear attacks during my run: 0, everyone else 1.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2015, 07:06:32 am »

What was that? Nah, ain't got naw siblings. They all died. Me mum too. I swears I'll get that Witheracted someday! Bloody Giant Dingoes! I came here hoping to do me pa proud, Atis Packgravel he is! Mighty fine dwarf he is! But enough about me.

I just don't know what it is wit the dwarves here, the head dwarf had me forsake my skills with a jewel shaping and even fishing to take up masonry. So I did. Then they wanted me to take up an axe and be a woodcutter. So I did. They even put me under some rapscallion fer supervision they did. What was his name again? Gee wolf sky? Then they put me back on masonry again, says to me no trees to fall. I'd say thar plenty indecisive and muddle headed themselves!

What? Hold on laddy! I know ye varmints like thar make fun of me. I know me russet hair is slowly graying out, I know imma getting on in years. But I'll have yer know that we dwarves often live beyond 140 and even 160 besides! And where I come from, I'm considered more middle aged than I am old. Besides I've seen a whole lot more crap than most of ye have and I've probably eaten more rock salt than ye have eaten plump helmets! So I ain't no sea nile at all or whatever ye young'uns want to call it, I'll have ye know I battled a bronze collossus back in Tomepulled and got outta that intact! So yer betta respect that!

Speaking of muddleheadedness, I misplaced me socks that time when Nako came around. Hoo was I frightened ter death there, knocked me straight outta my socks it did! I was searching fer me socks when I came across these fancy important looking documents just lying around. I know I just had to take a look fer myself, and lo' and behold! There were like maps and all sorts of other papers wit squiggly lines all over them that I couldn't understand. But there was also this here paper. See?

So I said to myself, would ye look at that! A title deed! Here come closer, it says here that whomever possesses this here paper is to be recognized with the title of "Zuglarkun" and look over here, that's the royal stamp of the queen herself! That's a mighty sounding name, far better than old Nil Cityhollows I tell ya! Its a little bloodied so you can't make out all the words but I reckon it gives ya privileges I tell ya! I fancy that I'll get a chance to do me pa proud. Take a new name, its like being reborn I tell ya! Huh? What's that ye say? No! Imma not going to return it! Finders keepers! Besides, the lass expired. I did know her briefly before all that though, and she said it was Aye Okay. What was that? Imma corn tree dig thing myself? That don't make no sense laddy, everyone knows corn don't grow on trees! Say that again? Hey! Come now that was mean! I sure as hell ain't spinning stories I tell ya that!

Hey! Where yer going?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:30:38 am by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 83