Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212358 times)

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2015, 01:23:22 pm »

Blitz Gamer's Travel Log:
Bears, what godless killing machines. Zuglarkun has died yet again, looks like he's due to respawn. Thank mostib I'm kept inside all the time since my injury. What was I even doing in the caverns anyway?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Microline for everyone!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2015, 09:07:19 pm »

The accounts of Sir Humphrey Cactusson, Cactus. Transcribed from the original documents by Urist McKiwi

[Date illegible, some time in mid-spring]

Well, I say. We finally arrived at this fancy new fortress the dwarves have been setting up. A nice barren desert, absolutely perfect for an aspiring cactus such as myself. Although mostly there's only potatoes (a well known desert species if ever there was one). Never trusted potatoes. Anyway! As it happens, the chaps here were looking for a new 'overseer'. I volunteered the instant they read out their criteria. Although I have since learned they were looking for someone with 'spine', not 'spines'. But no matter! They seem awfully keen for some proper work!

This fortress of theirs isn't half bad, for all it's fairly new. Until my party arrived there were only two score of them left.....apparently they've been having some issues getting started. But they've dug deep under the sands and found themselves plenty of space. And more importantly, plenty of good rock and ore for building things. Jolly good! On the less positive side, there isn't much to see above ground. I came here looking for a nice, secure place to put my roots down, and there's only a little shack on the side of a lake to show for two years of work! This will not do.

There's an outcrop of black sand just south of the fortress entrance. It might need propping up to stop it all sliding away in the rain, but I think this is an excellent place to start work on a proper fortress. It might not be entirely natural for dwarves to live out in the sun......but I'll show them the ways of healthy living sooner or later!

....I must say though, that lake looks awfully.....forboding. I've heard stories about lakes like this, and the horrors they produce. Perhaps some traps are in order....dwarves tend to be good at such things, I believe.

------------------------------------------------------------------
(End Transcript)
------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:

An IC update, finally. I'll catch up with everything else I need to do later (just been out cycling for the first time in a month. Kinda worn out by it, but it was fun). Another migrant wave arrived at about the time the werebear did (shortly before it, IIRC), so I'll redorf everyone who needs redorfing. I'm not sure if Sir Humphrey is a cactus in dwarven form, a dwarf who think's he's a cactus, or something else entirely. I'm not sure anyone else knows either, so that's good.

Next update will be later today, and I'll grab screenshots, skills, logs, etc. And show you all what I've been doing for half a year! It's actually looking pretty good.....we don't have magma, but I'm making progress on the beginnings of a dike setup (the walls and channeling).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »

Follow the central stair case all the way down to the bottom and you'll see some oddly shaped bits. There's magma there, but I couldn't figure out how to get at it, and after my last accident with the lava, I wasn't going to try.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2015, 10:43:00 pm »

An IC update, finally. I'll catch up with everything else I need to do later (just been out cycling for the first time in a month. Kinda worn out by it, but it was fun). Another migrant wave arrived at about the time the werebear did (shortly before it, IIRC), so I'll redorf everyone who needs redorfing. I'm not sure if Sir Humphrey is a cactus in dwarven form, a dwarf who think's he's a cactus, or something else entirely. I'm not sure anyone else knows either, so that's good.

I choose to believe it is the original plant growing in the middle of the Lone Cactus, relocated here as a spiritual leader, and carried around randomly by a dedicated dwarf.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2015, 11:08:11 pm »

I choose to believe it is the original plant growing in the middle of the Lone Cactus, relocated here as a spiritual leader, and carried around randomly by a dedicated dwarf.

.....Wait, wasn't that a fully-grown Saguaro? Eh. Evermind.

I think I'll hold off on magma....I don't have experience with pump stacks (besides killing moltenchannels) and frankly there's enough work to be done just getting the dike ready in the first place.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:09 am »

They aren't too hard, but mostly what we need at the moment is to FIND the Magma. From there we have engineers who can do pumpstacks in their sleep.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2015, 06:59:46 am »

The map is shallow enough that making a magma pumpstack is largely a non-issue once you dig to and find the magma. I'm going to second Taupe's suggestion to secure a portion of the caverns for logs before shit hits the fan down there, cause we really need the charcoal. Importing wood, charcoal, iron and steel would also help tons to get things kick started further down the line. I would suggest making lots of prepared meals for trade goods.

Not to cramp on anyone's style, but it would certainly help if the refuse stockpiles were moved underground, preferably nowhere near the west and north end of the map, cause you know we have certain neighbors that would be delighted to have some fresh, conveniently located corpses to raise. Just saying.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:11:21 am by Zuglarkun »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2015, 10:03:11 am »

Minecart into magma?

Anyway, someone already made these very nice workshops, and there's no reason not to use them. *ahem*

That said, living in a desert means pumpstacks are absolutely trivial. Sand makes glass and glass is magma safe. It's probably one of the better things about living in a desert.

Also, we should probably punch a well down to the upper cavern level. Put it behind a couple of doors and a bridge just in case though.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:58 am »

requesting my status and thoughts.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2015, 11:31:55 am »

kiwi, you there?
Microline for everyone!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »

kiwi, you there?
Yes, but nothing to report yet. Internet issues + I'm a fulltime student. Updates are a little erratic (when I can play, I update a lot, but might be a day or two between each burst). Maybe later today.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »

The continued account of Sir Humphrey Cactusson, Cactus

Early Summer

Well, things are going rather well if I do say so myself. The little outcrop has been propped-up and expanded a little, and I've had a new entrance set up. Got the beginnings of a proper outpost of civilization here, we do!

Unfortunately, the locals seem a bit......strange. This "Zuglakun II" lady started sketching pictures of rocks and cloth.....and then went insane. Well, more insane. Apparently this is a dwarven thing. Oh well. Another batch of migrants arrived with some useful skilled dwarves among them.....and a siege engineer who took a piece of paper off the corpse and declared herself"Zuglarkun III". Jolly good then.

-----------------------------

It's been.....oh....about a week since my last entry. A day ago everyone was out and about doing an absolutely cracking job on the walls.....and then a bloody werebear turned up. One of the cats ran up for a petting and.....alas....it did not end well:

A kitten fared similarly badly. I had the doors slammed shut...but not everyone made it inside. Our administrator, a cracking chap who did a fantastic job keeping things going smoothly, got roughed up right and proper before the beastly thing threw him into our brand new weapon-trap.

Zuglarkun II lived up to her predecessors by dying horribly.

Haerdalas, a veteran of some sort, did a noble job...but a crutch was hardly an effective weapon.

(Athough I must say, having overheard them....those were truly dashing last words)

The bear turned back into a human. I sent our troops out to deal with this interloper....but they couldn't run fast enough. Oh well. At least no one got infected. And the sacrifice of those three probably saved the fortress......the outer wall isn't quite finished. I'll have to fix this soon. It may be some time before I write again....

-------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC Section
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that wasn't a fight that we could win. I just had to grin and bear it.

Or rather, those three did. And the cats.

Ok, that's the backlog almost cleared. Next update will cover the changes to the fortress layout, and the plans for the rest of the year.

EDIT: Oh, and to make things more fun, the administrator got thrown in the trap twice.

Edit2: Oh, And Gwolfski just got possessed by the ghost I'd already slabbed and killed our clothier. I think the criminal justice system is a bit bugged though....

They're not reporting the crime because they're too shocked by witnessing it.

Edit3: And our butcher. Sorry Gwolfski, but I'm sending in the military if you don't stop soon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:46:34 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2015, 01:19:03 am »

i need a bit of forced rest6 in my office with a barrel and some cat biscuits and a locked door
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:51 am »

i need a bit of forced rest6 in my office with a barrel and some cat biscuits and a locked door

I particularly like that your first victim was going to report the crime, then decided he was so injured he needed a rest. And then died.

You stopped right after I uploaded all that though, so that's all good until we get a hammerer.

I've now played through to Autumn, and will update tomorrow with a full set of screenshots. Unfortunately I forgot how wagons work these days, so we couldn't trade quite as well as I'd liked....but the fortress is now secure......ish. And I'm improvising a solution to the trade depot problem I created.
The fort's also quite a bit bigger, and a lot slower (35-40fps, from 60 at beginning of the year). But that's mostly pathfinding from peeps looking for individual blocks. Also: we have a catsplosion issue......I may not be able to do it myself, but slaughtering all the cats is probably a good idea for frame-rate.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:51 am »

Wow, I actually put up a hell of a fight. Shame I forgot to use a proper weapon, really. And yes, "I've been wounded, it's annoying" is a WONDERFUL response to having your neck exploded into gore. I actually landed several blows (including one that bruised the bear to the very -bone-!) after having my throat ripped out. A most glorious death indeed.

....still need to work on the not-dying part of combat though.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 83