Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212437 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:39 pm »

Depends on the location, but pump stacking up is the best option. We're going to have to do it for the dike anyway, so we might as well preplan for magma forges on the workshop levels. Maybe duplicate the room section a little more north, so the magma doesn't A) have too far to go, and B) run under any of the other workshops. Separate out the power system for upper and lower pump stacks and place a floodgate in the way so that the magma doesn't get side tracked until we're ready for it to.

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:55 pm »

Blitz Gamer's Travel Log:
Why oh why did I have to end up here? not only is my arm mangled, not only do I have no idea why I was sent into the caverns in the first place, but now there's rioting in the halls, triaxx is on fire, we're being flooded with magma, and my son still hasn't had his name legally changed to Collin due to all the bureaucratic red tape. I really hope things get fixed soon, or I may end up having to respawn, and who knows where I'll end up.
Microline for everyone!

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »

Every dwarf you claim dies within two weeks, thats like putting a price on their head...
Well..
That is at least better than Zuglarkun's record at this point.
..I was kind of coming to this :D Although one of my deaths was accompanied by a few extra deaths..

But yeah, point taken :D But I'm confident in Vuohiparta. I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »

Every dwarf you claim dies within two weeks, thats like putting a price on their head...
Well..
That is at least better than Zuglarkun's record at this point.
..I was kind of coming to this :D Although one of my deaths was accompanied by a few extra deaths..

But yeah, point taken :D But I'm confident in Vuohiparta. I'm sure he'll do just fine.

He was alive and pursuing a career in...I think cooking actually...when I left off. Unless you go mad, die, get replaced, have your replacement die, rise from the dead as a zombie, kill a bunch of people, get re-killed, rise as an angry ghost, then refuse to go away when you're slabbed, and then do something else (and all within a single year), you'll be doing better than Zuglarkun's incarnations did this year.

...Actually he might be angry because I accidentally had his body dumped rather than buried. Hmm.

I set the kitchen to spam out the best possible meals, BTW. And also started a potato farm. Because while the dwarves can't invent proper chips, they can manage a sort of abstract approximation of crisps in the form of potato biscuits. And gathering all the plants that weren't too close to the lake (Do NOT mess with the lake) gave us a lot of potatoes.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2015, 10:10:27 pm »

Oh god, it's another dead Zuglarkun. Those things are really beginning to clutter up the place. Throw it under the corpse crusher and hope no one notices.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2015, 10:14:37 pm »

Oh god, it's another dead Zuglarkun. Those things are really beginning to clutter up the place. Throw it under the corpse crusher and hope no one notices.
At this rate we could make a special ''Zuglarkun-only graveyard''. When the necromancer arrive they'll be able to raise a full-sized army of Zuglarcorpses.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:05 pm »

At this rate we could make a special ''Zuglarkun-only graveyard''. When the necromancer arrive they'll be able to raise a full-sized army of Zuglarcorpses.

We've only had three of them die thus far, but one of them is in several tiny pieces at the bottom of a pit, I think. Unless the dwarves ninja'd his body to the graveyard before it got dumped.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Dyer that immigrated this year, so I couldn't ironically redorf him. I guess he got good at masonry or farming isntead.

.....BTW, is it bad to be thinking "Wouldn't it be cool to drop a necromancer in the corpse-disposal pit"?

Edit: Also, since I'm feeling brave....I'd like to request a second turn at some point. With our historical skip-rate ignored, I should get in around Year 15-20 or so, which is always the fun part....and if we DO use the old rate, then I'll get in sooner and all will be well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:29:02 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:48 am »

Hold on a second, how did Triaxx die?

Reports from Legends say that Triaxx was mortally wounded by Nako the werebear with a giant cave spider silk mitten. Yes, that same Nako that attacked us year 1 and passed on the werebear curse to Vouhijumala, and then was eventually killed by Gwolfsky. Since then, the skeleton of Nako has laid in the inlet to the lake that Taupe channeled to act as a well in year 1, and its still there. A most odd set of circumstances.

We've only had three of them die thus far, but one of them is in several tiny pieces at the bottom of a pit, I think. Unless the dwarves ninja'd his body to the graveyard before it got dumped.

Yeah, Zuglarkun II killed 3 dwarves and earned herself the name Azmolathel - Obscureringed. The skeleton and its various bits lie in that charnel pit of doom and misery which also house the remains of several other ghostly dwarves. So yeah, you don't need to slab her, just open up the pit and fish out the dwarf corpses.

Requesting to be dorfed as Imush Kubukonul. Enable building designer and diagnostician labors (since he finds helping others rewarding) please. Also, I know its nigh impossible, but try to keep the bugger out of trouble. :P

Also, anyone have any objection on including a "Book of Grievances" section on the Frontpage? Mainly it lists the "named" and notable enemies of Murderflood.

EDIT: Frontpage updated with Pictures of the fort from Triaxx's turn and McKiwi's turn.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:18:57 am by Zuglarkun »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:54 am »

Hold on a second, how did Triaxx die?

Reports from Legends say that Triaxx was mortally wounded by Nako the werebear with a giant cave spider silk mitten. Yes, that same Nako that attacked us year 1 and passed on the werebear curse to Vouhijumala, and then was eventually killed by Gwolfsky. Since then, the skeleton of Nako has laid in the inlet to the lake that Taupe channeled to act as a well in year 1, and its still there. A most odd set of circumstances.

Well the Triaxx I lost went to sleep in front of an advancing wall of magma. I didn't actually see the death...I just got the "cancelled rest, dangerous terrain" message. Oh well. He was definitely on fire though....and that's usually a 100% kill for unarmored dwarves who haven't had some horrific body-mods inflicted on them to make them immune to fire.

Wait......we have a werebear skeleton.......in the lake. IE: In an evil biome environment that's behind our defenses. Oh great.

(Yeah, future people, please wall off the lake. It's really, really dangerous to us Might be possible to extend the dike as well if you really want to.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:20:34 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2015, 04:21:09 am »

Are we sure we're not on our second Triaxx? Because I know I wouldn't have succumbed to a pimp-slapping, but I have a pretty bad record when it comes to magma.

Why wall off the lake, when we can turn it to obsidian?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:20 am »

Are we sure we're not on our second Triaxx? Because I know I wouldn't have succumbed to a pimp-slapping, but I have a pretty bad record when it comes to magma.

Why wall off the lake, when we can turn it to obsidian?

Because, being an evil biome, the mist that does horrible things to people can hit any tile within that area....but it won't travel out of that area. We had rather a lot this year, but it always stops within a couple of tiles of the lake edge (usually on the land side, so a dike would be great for that buffer area). Thus walling it off means we don't have to roof the whole thing in, and means a far lower chance of thralling a bunch of fishers that haven't had their labors turned off when they arrive at the fort. Or, in the case of obsidianing the lake and using it, a much larger slice of the fort population.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »

12th of Felsite, 160, the fortress of Brandgears
Two children stood beside each other, watching the procession go by as the baron's procession went by, sparkling with the tributes of the surrounding lands. They watched as the gates of the fortress rumbled open before the caravan and as each of the heavy wagons was pulled into the depths, but when the gates closed again, one of the children continued watching with a contented smile while the other sighed and returned to pulling the weeds from around the runner beans the baron had decided to cultivate.
"Someday, I'm going to be the one those merchants will bow to," Inod said with a grin. She frowned as the other child continued exterminating the local plantlife with single-minded determination. "Did you hear me?" she demanded. "I'm going to be baroness, and I'll have the best room and never have to work in the dirt!"
Asmoth sighed as she straightened up again. "Why's that?" she asked.
"Because I'm a noble and nobles don't have to do anything they don't want to do," Inod tutted.
"Oh," Asmoth said. "Then I'll be a noble as well."
She laughed. "Don't be stupid, you have to be born into being a noble."
"No you don't," Asmoth answered slowly. "Your grandmother was a miner until-"
"Yes, but she had influence," Inod cut across her. "You have to found a fortress if you want to become a noble, and you'll never have the influence to do that because you're happy to work in the dirt outside all the time."
Asmoth stared at her. For a moment, Inod thought that the other girl was about to hit her, but then she dropped the plants she was holding and walked towards the fortress gates.
"You can do your own share of the weeds today," she said over her shoulder.

15th of Granite, 203, the fortress of Murderflood
The masons were the first to spot the migrants as they wandered towards the fortress as they laboured on the walls. Tulon whistled at the dwarves inside the fortress.
"Gates down," he shouted. "More leeches to take our jobs!"
They were, for the most part, unremarkable. Labourers stumbling with exhaustion from the week long trip, glancing around nervously from the shambling corpses that their mothers had warned them would kill and eat them if they left the safety of their home tunnels. The last was more unusual. For a start, she was riding a horse, which was almost unheard of in dwarven culture where horses pulled wagons and occasionally got eaten. Her clothes were in an outlandish style that immediately told the high fliers of society that they were dealing with a person of refined taste and also alerted the average dwarf that they were dealing with a person who thought they had fine taste. A pair of children rode behind her. Edzul rushed up to the horseman.
"Hello there," she called up to her, smiling uncertainly. "I'm Edzul Kintongs, the mayor here."
"Yes," the rider said, sliding off her horse. "I was planning to make sure you knew of my arrival. Good to see that you're on top of things."
"So... who are you, then?" Edzul asked, half-running to keep up with the newcomer as she led the horse towards the fortress. He stopped, apparently surprised by the question.
"I was told that you should be well aware of my approach by the time I arrived here," she frowned. "Oh well, accidents happen, I suppose. I am Lady Asmoth. The queen felt that someone with more experience in dealing with dignitaries would be required as Murderflood becomes a more important trading hub. There should have been a letter detailing my experience, but I suppose it got lost somewhere along the line..."
"You came from the capital?" asked Edzul. "We had heard it was under siege."
Asmoth appeared to hesitate for a moment before nodding sadly. "I had feared as much. There were rumours of an army approaching when I left. I've been on the road for a while and the migrants I ended up travelling with didn't seem too well informed on world issues. Who is currently in charge here?" she continued briskly, tugging on the horse's reins.
"No one at the minute," the mayor answered. "It's fortunate that you arrived to take over, it was starting to look like no one was going to take the job."
Shit, thought Asmoth.
"Of course," said Asmoth. "I was planning to offer my advice, but this seems simpler all around."
Edzul watched as Asmoth helped the children off her horse. A strange sense of dread was stealing over her. She dismissed it. Murderflood had surely survived worse than what some strange woman on a horse could throw at it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:35:37 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2015, 08:07:36 pm »

Could I please ask how my dorf is doing? I assume I was re-dorfed during Urist's mass redorfing. If so, could I know who I have been redorfed as (and can they please be drafted into the military to die horribly fighting the inevitable werebears)?

If I wasn't re-dorfed for whatever reason, could you please dorf me as part of the military.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »

The new migrants included a noble, or so he heard. Taupe, fields supervisor and first overseer of murderflood, figured it fell upon him to give the horse-rider a tour of the place he helped create. It had been three years now since they arrived to the desert, and the fortress had changed, yet somehow remained the same...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
''Greeting to ye, sir person noble dude!
-Hum, hi,
responded Lord Asmoth. I am Lord Asmoth, he explained redundantly.
-Well, me I'm Taupe. The fields are somewhat dull during the end of winter, so I figured I'd give you a tour of da place!''

They were on the northern gate, where a set of bridges allowed access to the fortress area by going over a large, unfilled dyke.

''The cactus had that built, but he couldn't finish it before resigning.
-The...cactus?
-Aye, Sir Humphrey Cactusson, pretty damn funny dude. Also, he's a cactus.
-...''

''To the south you can see our trade depot, away from the fortress. That way if the merchants turn into monsters or zombies we don,t get eaten right away.
-Does that... happen often?
-Well, no, just once a year. we would have moved otherwise, ha!''

''Anyway, there are more dykes and walls to the south, as well as a tower. You can get a pretty nice view of our awesome fortress from there.
-Isn't that just a one-story high building?
-Well, yeah but... it's atop a dune, so it counts as almost a two-story building, which is as tall as Murderflood itself!''

''Ah, this is the fortress. There are more bedrooms and tables than there used to be. It's pretty comfy now, assuming you enjoy microcline blowing apart your eyeballs while you stare at it, and awful temmperatures.
-Who was dumb enough to bring such bright, shiny stones to create a desert outpost anyway?
-Oh that was me! I got a nice deal on 'em on embark, heh.''

The noble was too amazed by such a display of wealth to comment on the fortress. In fact, his high charisma allowed him to make a joke about the situation:

''So where's the fortress proper?
-Ahahah, you nobles are so funny.''

''Anyway, you got the annexes below. first the new, enlarged farms. The cactus made them, he was such a great overseer.
-...The cactus, right.
-Yup, he's one of my favorite ex-overseers right now.
-Out of...?
-Well, three, but one of them is me, and Triaxx sort of melted recently so he hasn't come back yet. So really right now, it's just me and the cactus overseeing da place.
-That... sure explains a lot.''

''Speaking of sir Humphrey Cactusson, he had this wonderful tomb built for himself, as well as some new rooms to store stuff.''

Lord Asmoth appeared disturbed by the frequent mentions of the cactus. No doubt, the sight of this tomb reminded him that even a wise and spikey overseer was doomed to die at some point.

''Ah, don't worry, Lord mister. Cacti can live for very, very long, he won't be using this tomb soon, ahah!''

''Oh, and here we have triaxx's legacy. The workshops are finished and people are smoothing them right now. those bedrooms below, they were never put to use, thanks to everyone dying horribly so many times. we managed to do with just the surface bedrooms thanks to that.''

''And finally here we have the caverns, sealed for the moment. We have sort of a little forgotten beast problem at the moment.
-Classical.
-Down below is where triaxx melted. I wouldn't go there for now, if I was you. We have sort of a little magma leak problem at the moment.''

''Here, let's just go back, I'll introduce you to the folks above. and the pets. we have many dogs that could be trained, just sayin'. (The farmer showed his teeth at this point, demonstrating the FIERCENESS required to train animals.) We also have many other animals and undead but I won't introduce you to them, ah!''

''This is Nujux, our woodcutter. He doesn't cut many trees.
-Gee, I wonder why.
-Oh that's because we're in the desert, sir.
-Why yes I--
-But don't worry, he spends his time making many friends!''

''OH HI TRIAXX II! That's TriaxxII, taking over the duties of his namesake and smoothing the workshops. He's married to HaedalasII, we'll see her later.''

''I'm sure sir Humphrey is around here, helping with the art, but I doubt we'll see him. He's so small and sneaky.
-what... what kind of cacti is he anyway?
-Oh, a fully grown saguaro rib, m'lord.''

''This is our doctor, Crazy Urist. I have a hard time pronouncing it correctly. He's a pretty good butcher.
-And as a doctor?
-Ahahahahah! Let's move on.''

''This guy over there is BlitzGamer. He's weird, sometimes he say stuff that makes no sense.
-Right.
-Anyway I blame it on his newest child, a young daughter. He asked for his other kid to be renamed to whatever, but the last overseer refused, and so did triaxx. As you know, only Overseers can validate name changes for local resident. That's dwarven law.''

''Who's that?
-Oh that's... a new dude. Vuohiparta or something. Don't really know him much. He must be new.
-Isn't he harvesting plants right now?
-Ya, looks like it.
-And.. aren't you the fields supervisor?
-Oh yes, yes I am.
-But you don't know who that guy is.
-Nah.
-...Let's move on.''

''Oh by the way, I have a horse, do you want to see my--
-Absolutely not.''

''Oh, by the way, gotta warn you about Gwolfsky. he's gone pretty damn insane recently, and attacks people at random. he's killed more dwarves than werebears so far.
-Wereb--
-Oh hey look it's Thoryane HI THORYANE!''

''And that guy, there, that's Sarrak. He's been in the military since almost the start, and joined willingly. One of the few who actually enrolled on their own, instead of being drafted to repel werebears trashing the fortress.
-Wereb--
-OH LOOK! He's training with Haerdalas II
-I want to go back to the wereb--
-I know what you're asking. Who the hell is HaerdalasII?
-No I'm more preoccupied by the wer--
-Well, she's that girl I told you about earlier, the wife of Triaxx II.
-But about that--
-Ok, gotta train the dogs now, bye!
-...''

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 21, 2015, 10:19:44 pm »

Blitz Gamer's Travel log:
So, now I have a daughter, what a beautiful girl. I shall name her Moira, after the great Dark Iron ruler. And It seems I have been made into a chef. I shall dazzle my fellow dwarves by using the finest recipies I have learned in my travels. First up: a fine Khaz Modan roast. Still, it's a shame I never made a fancy crossbow, but oh well.
Microline for everyone!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 83