Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212376 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2015, 07:06:31 am »

Nicely done. What's our squad setup these days? I know we had more or less a full squad's worth of marksdwarves of.....somewhat low quality...... Also some really good elites, some of whom I accidentally lost.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2015, 09:02:05 am »

Yeah, we have ten marksdwarves and then one squad for each weapon. Three speardwarves, five hammerdwarves and four of everything else. We also recently obtained a whip if anyone wants to lash stuff.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2015, 11:05:47 am »

Looks like I was present at the battle, but I don't even know what my current weapon is... could I have a combat report of my actions, please?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »

Haerdalas II is currently using a sword, though she's nearly equally good with a hammer. I'd probably have left her with the hammer squad, but I think I heard somewhere that skills improve faster if there's someone with a decent skill level in the squad.

Asmoth's Journal, 7th of Opal
The first level of New New Murderflood has been completed. I was reminded that there were a large number of unassigned bedrooms underground sometime after we began construction of the rooms in it, but frankly a five by five bedroom is much too large for a mere peasant anyway.

The rooms are of varying sizes, partially because of a numerical error at the design stage, but also because with any luck some of the peasants will notice that people have gotten better rooms than them for no reason whatsoever and decide to actually start striving to improve their lot in life. I can never understand how they can be so content with their lot in life when people with less merit than them live in luxury. In any case, the dining room should accommodate more people than the old one, and the bedrooms to the south east are specially reserved for people who actually seem useful to me. At the moment that's absolutely no one, so I've given them to my daughters.

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »

Blitz Gamer's travel log:
It seems this new overseer is a bit of an elitist, but he's getting things done, including Collin getting his proper name. The new raised bedrooms are nice too, but they could do with some windows.
Microline for everyone!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2015, 01:21:49 am »

Very nice indeed. If by some miracle you've got spare blocks, workers, and time.....we should probably make a proper hospital. The current one was improvised out of a corridor/trade depot area.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2015, 06:24:52 am »

Regarding the conflicts between elves and humans
A brief excerpt from the book

Unlike the goblins and elves, us humans are born of mortal stock. Although the remains of our mortal husks may return to nourish the earth, our spirits live on even after death - much like the stunted folk with whom we share many of our customs and beliefs regarding the dead.

In human society, proper respects paid to the dead are also indications of piety and humans believe that such actions will result in the spirits conferring their ancestral blessings upon their mortal descendants, helping to steer them away from misfortune. Failing to properly venerate your ancestors results in the opposite - the cursing of the living with misfortune and misery. Because of this belief, the humans greatly revere their dead, building grand tombs to honor their dead, such as-

These tombs were erected to honor their fallen brethren, and humans do not take kindly to having their dead brethren defiled or even eaten before they could even pay proper respects. Such forlorn souls are cutoff from their proper place in the afterlife and are condemned to an eternity of wandering, unless they are properly memorialized. But most importantly, proper veneration of the dead is essential so that the dead remain dead and have no cause to haunt the living. Improper burials and the like cause great problems as the forlorn spirits have a propensity to negatively influence the lives of the yet living in a great number of different ways.

It is no wonder that the humans of The Heroic Kingdom have been quite aghast at the conduct of their neighbors, the elves of The Skunk of Speaking. As of this writing, their current ruler - a fellow called Rosmic Alliedfire, has ruled from Campdashed as lord since 156. Rosmic has taken up the anti-elf stance that has been propagated since the wars of 48, having since killed 6 elves with his own hands in The Hills of Twinkling.

This was not always the case though. Given proper segregation, the separate ways of elves and of men should nary interfere with each other. Alas, it was not to be. As I recall, it all started in 48, when the elves began the wanton expansion of their territories northwestwards, occupying all the lands south of the streams that flowed into The Lake of Amazements. Shortly afterwards, the elves began to expand further north, occupying lands north of the great lake, bringing them into direct contact with the humans of the heroic kingdom.

There are few remaining today that remember how the war began, but all surviving accounts point to a dispute over the the elvish custom of devouring the bodies of sapient beings that sparked the conflict that was "The War of Disembowelment"

I should know, I was there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shortly after these events, I joined the Laborious Mines and was inducted into the teachings of Indur the Insightful Tome, where I was able to learn the secrets of life and death. With that, my life as a ignorant human was put behind me, and I removed myself to Inchedfaction to devote myself to study the dark mysteries of the afterlife. Still, I had not completely put my past life behind me, as I continued to keep tabs on the growing conflict that had engulfed The Heroic Kingdom.

The conflict continued to rage on and off over the years,

eventually culminating in the takeover of several elvish sites in 136, the slaying of their high council of elven rulers and the enslavement and subsequent integration of elf prisoners into human society.

A new elven queen, Ririli Willglimmer, was chosen for her diplomatic ability and her more "positive outlook" towards the humans. Thus the great human and elf wars were ended, but not quite.

The humans enacted vengeance by proceeding to construct their own temples on these conquered elvish lands.
Spoiler: The Frothy Shrine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Abbey of Mosses (click to show/hide)

And to add insult to injury, they then built their own catacombs to house their own dead under these temples.
Spoiler: Colorgloomy, catacombs (click to show/hide)

Eventually, many of the former elvish prisoners would relocate to these catacombs, driven to banditry in order to eke out a living under human law.

The humans and elves have since sat at peace to this day, though relations have been tenuous at best, and a spark of hostility might one day renew the flame of conflict and once again engulf both civilizations in the furnace of war.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:06:28 am by Zuglarkun »

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2015, 11:35:06 am »

Woohoo, we're expanding! Has anyone else done any epic deeds of any kind? I'm sure Vuohiparta's general actions have been phenomenal at least.

Btw, I did not know elves regularly eat other sapients :| Foul creatures.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2015, 11:48:28 am »

I keep running across elves devouring corpses too and I blamed it on the elves having been overthrown by the goblins a long time ago in one of the worlds I'm playing. (The goblins overthrew everyone, we're all being ruled by a porcupine.)

Well done Zuglarkun. Are you going to do NaNoWriMo this year?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »

Aside from the goblin 'invasion', the entirety of the fortress has spend the year either hauling blocks and/or furniture up to New New Murderflood or training constantly in the barracks. Vuohiparta belongs to the first group, though I do recall that he spent nearly a month to carry a silver chest to my new bedroom. I've been staying out of the caves, because they seem to be full of zombies and I'm not in the mood for that nasty jazz.

I think I'd like to take a second turn at some point. With any luck I'll be the monarch by then anyway. If not, I'm sure absolutely nothing bad will happen to the queen. After all, as the captain of the guard I'd be in charge of making sure she's safe.

Here's a picture of the next level of New New Murderflood. The ceiling is still under construction in most area, but the hospital is complete and functional.

Also, the prison tower and Asmoth's rooms. The second tower is also visible, but at the moment it just serves as a bridge between the Tower of Murderflood and New New Murderflood.

Asmoth's Journal, 1st of Granite, 204
With the completion of the hospital and a great deal of work done in turning this place into a presentable fortress, I allowed the peasants to take yesterday off and celebrate the end of the year in proper dwarven fashion. In the aftermath, Taupe told me that overseers by tradition only serve for a single year for whatever reason, meaning I can actually get out of this job before something that I can be blamed for happens. My strength in the fortress proper ought to be assured in any case with the force of dwarven law behind me. My advice for my successor shall be as follows:
- Our booze stocks need replenishing for some reason. I'm not entirely sure how we have so little considering I bought out all three caravans worth of it.
- New New Murderflood is off to a good start, but nowhere near complete. There's a lot of room for expansion in pretty much whatever direction you want.
- No real progress was made on making a magma dike this year, but we did produce enough pipe sections to do pretty much whatever you want.
- I'd really like if someone could clarify this apparent problem we have with wereb-

I guess that's my replacement. Time to acquaint them with the never ending problems of the upper class.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11245
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:07:40 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #325 on: October 30, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »

blacks? since when do we have slave labour? Not that I'm against it.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 30, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »

u wot?

Oh, right.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2015, 12:35:45 am »

I took a quick look at the save and here's some quick observations.

- We have more than sufficient glass pipes, though we are lacking any glass blocks and glass corkscrews.
- We have a few dwarven ale roasts lying about, a quick examination confirms that cooking has not been toggled off for drinks or plants.
- We still have very little in terms of wood, and some of it has been used to make a bridge even.
- I like that we have a smithy, but I was hoping that it would be above ground, not underground. Still, can't complain about it.
- The caverns are a complete clusterfuck of undead beasties now. This will be a big problem later on. But I suppose we can safely ignore it for now.

I'm a bit confused so correct me if I'm wrong, but the walls above ground are for the dike right? I'm not sure of the viability given that goblins can climb, so... they might actually bypass our defenses by climbing around the walls for the dike...

Retired the save and took a look at legends...
Holy shit, is this world action packed. Man at this rate I'll never run out of material to write about.

From the looks of things, looks like I'll be designing and implementing the magma pump stack if TheFlame52 does not beat me to the punch. Hoo boy. This is what, like the 3rd time I'm doing this for a succession fort? I have found my DF niche!  :P

Also, I totally didn't die this year! Hooray! The curse is broken!

Are you going to do NaNoWriMo this year?

I have never heard of this until you mentioned it, looks interesting, compelling even. I'm not sure if I can as I'm in the midst of a rough patch in my life right now. I will look further into it though.

-----
The entry for the humans and goblins on the frontpage have been updated.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:50:28 am by Zuglarkun »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:35 pm »

@Zuglarkun: I tried to build the dike to make it difficult to climb around it (if you look closely you'll see extra walls creating higher barriers) but it's certainly possible right now. The way to deal with this? Weapon and stonefall traps. Tens or hundreds of them. Line the walls with the darned things. Heck, build the walls even higher and then line them with traps. Can either use crap, or we can spam buzzsaws with all the copper and glass we've got. It won't work for trap-avoiding stuff (although the walls will slow them down a lot), but everything else either gets buzzsawed into oblivion, falls back off the walls and away from the fort, or falls into the magma.

...the trick will then be to keep them maintained, but that's a thing we can work on later. I think I know how to do it as well.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:45 pm »

The trench is for storing the magma right? The way I'm looking at it, invaders can breach the dike defenses by climbing around (not over) the trench walls near the 2 edges of the lake.

There is a way to circumvent this without removing your designs, though there is some risk involved. We would have to extend the trench walls in the southwest and northeast up to the lake borders (just the outer walls), joining them up to form a perimeter around the entire fort. This would be better than making tons of traps (that require maintenance) to cover a weak spot in our defenses.

I like the trade depot island suspended in a sea of magma you did though.

I think I see a spot where we can accommodate a magma pump stack without necessarily breaching the caverns. It will cut through some of the digging designations for the tombs and come up on the southern doorway towards the underground farms though.

Overall, I'm not worried about the surface defenses. I think we're doing pretty good (thus far) on that front. What I'm worried about is our cave defenses...

There are many ways of dealing with that particular can of worms though, just that I won't be the one to do it personally on my upcoming turn.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:24:42 pm by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 83