Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 215780 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2015, 02:15:45 am »

Depending on which bridge, you may be able to fling her to safety by closing the bridges.......

...I mean, it'll probably kill her, but you know. It might work.

Also, hey I'm back! I've been rather busy with school, work, being sick, and running another community fort into hell the ground. That means, I won't have time to really do a tour of the fortress for this turn. I'll try and grab the save somewhere during the week to update the dwarf list, however.

In the meantime, enjoy this new poll.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:18:49 am by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »

There are two forgotten beast corpses in our basement. Also someone's pet goat managed to avoid 100+ zombies long enough to map almost all of the third cavern.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2015, 07:05:49 pm »

There are two forgotten beast corpses in our basement. Also someone's pet goat managed to avoid 100+ zombies long enough to map almost all of the third cavern.
The pet's courage is nothing next to the psychic abilities he used to transmit this information to the dwarves.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2015, 08:17:56 pm »

Also, I found the second cavern. Also also, final writeup tomorrow. It'll probably just be a narrative of the battle, then a description of what I've done with the place and some screens. Hint: Population fell, walls rose.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:26 pm »

If you hurt my magical fatherless children, I will rain vengeance upon you.  >:(
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »

No kids were killed, though a hammerdwarf's baby was thrown off the bridge by an elf corpse.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2015, 09:15:57 pm »

No kids were killed, though a hammerdwarf's baby was thrown off the bridge by an elf corpse.

Elves. Why is it always Elves?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 06, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »

The call goes up. The dead walk! They come from the south, circling around the ditch to the bridge. There are so many, and most of them even have weapons...

There are two- no, three necromancers leading the shuffling mob. It's mostly elves and goblins, but there are a few dwarves thrown in too. I order the military to the depot outcrop and order the outer bridge to be raised. The last dwarf runs past the military just as the bridge raises.

The first casualty is a wild camel, which is raised as a zombie. The second is a giant wren, shot down by archers. The corpse lands inside the ditch, out of the necromancers' sight. Said necromancers have apparently fled the field, though their soldiers still march.

Approaching the raised bridge, our markdwarves trade bolts with their archers. Several are wounded and carried off the field. After both sides exhaust their ammunition, the marksdwarves and archers leap into the ditch and charge each other! I order the outer bridge lowered so that the other soldiers can help their comrades, but they are too late to save one marksdwarf.

The bridge crashes down and battle is joined. Dwarves and zombies meet in combat on the center of the bridge. The frontrunners, two axedwarves, are killed as the zombies surround and overwhelm them.

With everyone gone from the depot area, the only rearguard is a lone speardwarf and a few war dogs. A few zombies take advantage of this, climbing the side of the ourcrop. The speardwarf is killed and the dogs are pushed back toward the cage traps. Fearing the zombies will get into the undefended fort, I order the bridges raised.

Many dwarves and zombies are knocked from the bridge and continue combat on the ground. The number of dwarves on the bridge shrinks until only one is left: Thoryane. She bravely holds back dozens of zombies, back to the edge, axe parrying dozens of blades. Finally, a zombie goblin jumps into her and bodily knocks her off the bridge. She collapses on the ground, exhausted.

The levers are pulled, the bridges raise. Dozens of zombies are catapulted into the air and fall towards the soldiers waiting below. The dwarves quickly fall upon the zombies with newfound strength. But they are not quick enough to save Thoryane.

When the last of the zombies in the ditch are mopped up, the military retreats back to the fort to regroup. The inner bridge is lowered and the dwarves advance to the depot outcrop. The outer bridge is lowered and the dwarves charge out to slay some zombies.

There are no more casualties. The last thing to die is the zombie camel. Bodies are buried, limbs are dumped, clothes are collected, weapons are melted. The fortress endures.

Okay, so that happened in about mid-turn, so there was a bunch of other stuff that happened before and after. Firstly, I claimed a smith as Flame II and trained her (yep, her, I'm cursed) up to Legendary +5 weaponsmith.

Secondly, I created a sort of serrated disc/dodge me/marksdwarf trap in the third cavern to kill the zombies. This is an old picture, the current model has the whole first row full of disc traps and that little ledge in the corner got cleaned up. Two dwarves died in various shenanigans involving some zombie gremlin bits. How does a disembodied arm jump anyway?! But other than that little mess-up, the trap works great! Just unlock both doors, wait for zombies to show up, and make sure nobody charges out into the caverns.

For the trap's maiden voyage, I loaded it with everyone's pets and opened the cavern door. They all died, but one goat managed to escape and run around the third cavern, avoiding hundreds of zombies, until it finally became exhausted and got its head bitten off. Anyway, that's why the third cavern got revealed.

We also found the second cavern.

Here's the piece of the second cavern that the goat found. We should probably find more of it, especially if we're going to make a magma pump stack.

I made a spot for the marksdwarves to train. Here's them doing so.

I think this quern pretty accurately describes life at Murderflood.

We also had a bit of a mishap with a giant tick mist husk, which is far more terrifying than it sounds. It attacked several haulers picking up camel corpses. Only one glassmaker was killed, thanks to the tick's habit of biting dwarves so hard they flew several tiles.

Three dwarves were put in the hospital before the military showed up, and one trapper was wounded so badly he had no operable limbs. He had more wounds than I've ever seen outside of adventure mode. He made a full recovery, but it took a while.

Even when the military showed up, it took quite a while for them to kill it. Seriously, they killed an entire goblin siege faster than they killed this thing. And not for lack of trying.

Swordsdwarf Sibrek got the kill. No swordsdwarves died during the zombie siege, so I'm pretty sure he's still alive.

This point is about where the zombie siege happened.

So after the siege, I tried to fill all the holes in our security that the zombies exploited. For one thing, I fortified the entire inner wall of the ditch, making it unclimbable. The reason I acted so aggressively during the siege instead of staying behind our defenses is because zombies really like to climb dirt walls like the ones defending several sections of our fort.

I replaced dirt with smooth bricks and fortifications. No way zombies are climbing those. Now we can act more defensively and strike only when we're prepared from now on.

Remember that goblin siege I mentioned earlier? Well, it came at around early winter. I just sent the military out to go kill them all, and kill they did. They ripped though ~40 goblins and trolls in a few seconds. Seriously, I haven't seen bloodshed like that since I led a hydra into a town market. The dwarves were still cleaning it up when spring arrived.

And to finish off, here's one of our bonecarvers making trinkets out of zombie arms.

SAVE

Some things you might want to do:
 - Gwolfski is paralyzed, done in by a zombie's arrow. You might want to put him in charge of a squad of recruits to utilize his teaching skill, since he won't be doing much fighting.
 - At least dig the pump stack for the magma dyke. Someone else can build it and power it.
 - The fort still needs a bit more fortification. Stick some marksdwarf towers on either side of the main entrance, maybe? Some disc traps in that choke-point south of the bridge where enemies come around the ditch?
 - Stick some more traps in the zombie trap and run it some. We need to get rid of all those zombies. Seriously, if we get a vampire, he's going to get put on permanent zombie cleanup duty.
 - Somehow get some better weapons and armor for the military. We need some badly. We're using copper, for crying out loud!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:41:01 pm by TheFlame52 »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #353 on: November 06, 2015, 05:13:46 pm »

what do ya mean? cant move, legs lost, arms?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 06, 2015, 05:18:56 pm »

Note re. zombies and vampires. In Icehold I tried to get a vampire to assassinate a necromancer, and she was immediately torn apart by the undead horde. I don't know why, but I'm guessing that zombies will actually respect their master's alignment now and therefore kill any undead from the civilisation that they're invading.

Also, I might be over cautious or just very lucky, but a hell of a lot more people seem to die on turns that aren't mine for some reason, even when I'm deliberately trying to oppress the peasants.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 06, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »

Hmm. So what were the total casualties in the zombie siege? In particular, were there any casuaties of note other than Thorayne and Gwolfsky?

You mentioned some of the zombies carried weapons - I dont suppose any of it was iron or steel? that could help fix our lack of decent weapons grade metals, at least partially.

If possible, could I have an account of how my dorf fared? I believe she should still live - iirc, she was a swordsdwarf last I heard, and you said no Swordsdwarves fell....

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 06, 2015, 09:22:51 pm »

Note re. zombies and vampires. In Icehold I tried to get a vampire to assassinate a necromancer, and she was immediately torn apart by the undead horde. I don't know why, but I'm guessing that zombies will actually respect their master's alignment now and therefore kill any undead from the civilisation that they're invading.

Also, I might be over cautious or just very lucky, but a hell of a lot more people seem to die on turns that aren't mine for some reason, even when I'm deliberately trying to oppress the peasants.
Im guessing peasant oppression isnt as damaging as werebears and zombies and vile husks.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 06, 2015, 10:02:34 pm »

No, I think I just wasn't oppressing them enough. Next time I'll show them the violence inherent in the system.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 06, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »

I've got the save. Will give it a whirl later today.

EDIT: Oh god, I forgot I have to do this turn in ASCII. I probably won't have time to do a write up for the various things happening outside of the fort, so here's a brief summary of things that happened between 203-204 (Deus Asmoth's turn and TheFlame52's turn) which may or may not be relevant to us here in Murderflood.

- The Immortality of Battles has continued to siege Boardsomber and other sites that we hold.
- During the early winter of 203, The Dented Conflict began. The Thief of Curls sent a welcoming party to Murderflood to invite us. They also sent several other war parties to wage fun upon several of our sites.
- During the late autumn of 204, The Thief of Curls arrived at Boardsomber and laid siege to it.
- Our Queen has gained a title. She is now known as Obok Constructrazor the Trampled Symmetry of Pools.
- Our General has also gained a title. He is now known as Dodok Bookice the Curled Duty of Foot.
- Our former failure of a goblin diplomat stepped down and has become mayor of Boardsomber.
- Our former outpost liaison, Dobar Pearshoots has stepped down from the position of outpost liaison and has become the champion of Boardsomber.
- Our new outpost liaison is apparently the father of Haerdalas II.
- Boardsomber endures, but for how long?

In other news...

- The Thief of Curls also sent war parties to wage fun upon the goblins of the Immortality of Battles (just the sites they conquered from us) as well as other human civs. Goblin on goblin action! I can barely keep track of who is fucking who over.
- The elves got their capital, Nutglimmers, taken over by goblins from the Lie of Sins.
- The humans of the Confederations of Wringing have come to our aid (sort of) and attacked the Immortality of Battles.

So we are at war with two goblin civs, there are wars being waged everywhere, its becoming a clusterfuck of backstabbing fun out there and to top if off, there is undead above us and below us. Yup, there's plenty of murder to go around.

EDIT 2:
- Everyone of note seems to be fine. Looks like I narrowly averted death last year, got my arm broken instead. I guess I should count my blessings.
- 'Gwolfsky', Brandhalls the Copper Plays of Toning has lost the ability to stand. Seems he got the nervous tissue in his lower spine cut apart, and his left foot is broken.
- Haerdalas II is doing well, 23 kills in total, looks like she participated and did well in her undead encounter, killing 10 zombies overall. She doesn't really care about anything anymore.
- 'De' Swordjail is currently the military captain of the Cobalt Charms, an axedwarf squad. He has 2 kills to his name.
- 'Pyrotechno' Azmololin is our Blacksmith and is impervious to the effects of stress. I think he will make a good military candidate.

Let me know if you guys want me to post up your character profiles. In the meantime, I've got a backlog of stuff to clear on the front page, and I need to plan this turn out somewhat. So updates will come earliest next week I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:37:08 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2015, 01:47:37 am »

We have officially accomplished way more in the last three months than the previous iteration in a year. Well done, everyone!

Flame, will you be taking another turn down the list?

And Haerdalas II's profile is slowly becoming the portrait of a very, very active dwarf.

Oh, and... I'm now the only standing member of the founding seven. :/
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 83