Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212357 times)

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2015, 03:21:59 pm »

I just HAD to do this:

Thank you Dwarf Fortress, for still not failing to amaze us.
--

Nice update! I've never seen mud men before. Nor many other creatures roaming in our area. I've had many forts, but for some reason they've all been quite limited in creature variety so far. How reachable are those candy veins, btw?

And concerning magma mist, I usually try to drop things from high enough for the mist to reach anyone. Maybe we could build a dumping tower or something?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »

My first criminal!

Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2015, 07:40:25 pm »

Emanating kindness and giving..... I love the comic strip. There are a lot of creatures I saw in the Murderflood save that I'd never encountered before, like the blood men, those sound horrifying. It said something in their description about them only appearing close to hell.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »

I just HAD to do this:

How reachable are those candy veins, btw?

Front paged. Nice work! Always nice to see fan art.

The candy veins are actually pretty close by. Just southwest of the magma pumpstack. The layer above the picture is actually embedded in rock, so we can reach it by digging.

I've finally stopped procrastinating and updated the frontpage with the fort pictures from Deus Asmoth's turn and TheFlame52's turn. Its actually pretty impressive once you start visualizing it in 3D.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:25:59 pm by Zuglarkun »

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:38 am »

Excellent turn so far. Is Blitz such a good cook that you aren't going to put him on crossbow making duty?
Also, could you change his proffesion to "traveller"?
Microline for everyone!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 15, 2015, 01:35:39 am »

I just HAD to do this:

Thank you Dwarf Fortress, for still not failing to amaze us.

What the actual fuck. How is this a thing that exists.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 15, 2015, 04:20:09 am »

My first thought was that the ghost might have been the chap who got thrown into a weapons trap (twice) by a werebear...but that was in 203, not 204. So I'm stumped by a trap death. Oh well. I'm happy about it all the same. Always good to have the old stonefall and weapons traps doing their jobs on something.

Looks like we're actually gonna have a proper magma dike on this fortress....that's beating Murderflood (take 1) and Moltenchannels (which only had a moat) already!

Now, one important thing to remind everyone....the rules are clear that the magma system must have a function to purge the fortress. This may be difficult given our heavy use of towers, but eh. A challenge means an interesting solution (or just ignoring that and flooding the sub-levels).

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2015, 08:42:57 am »

Now, one important thing to remind everyone....the rules are clear that the magma system must have a function to purge the fortress. This may be difficult given our heavy use of towers, but eh. A challenge means an interesting solution (or just ignoring that and flooding the sub-levels).

Purge the fortress? As in completely submerge the above ground fort in magma?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Meh, I just need to make some changes. Thankfully, I have not started on autumn, so I can still make adjustments to the infrastructure. Some of the things I am about to do would be very difficult to reverse(mainly involving the use of magma) once I get going, so I'm glad you brought this up. For instance, all levers, bridges and mechanical components would have to be made of obsidian or some other magma safe component. I'm considering taking it one step further and make beds and other furniture and such out of nether wood, but that is beyond my capability now. I'll also need to consider incorporating magma drains everywhere or at least leaving enough space to build one later on. I'll get started right away.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:45:32 am by Zuglarkun »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2015, 12:28:55 pm »

If you set it up so that all the towers were supported by single wooden supports, then the magma would burn through them and cause the towers to lethally deconstruct (I think). So it wouldn't need all that much of a workaround aside from channelling out the area around the towers.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2015, 01:07:14 pm »

If you set it up so that all the towers were supported by single wooden supports, then the magma would burn through them and cause the towers to lethally deconstruct (I think). So it wouldn't need all that much of a workaround aside from channelling out the area around the towers.

Yeah that will work, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Look purging all the living or non-living occupants should the need arise sits fine with me. But why waste all that fine looking architecture? The purge mechanism should be reusable, so we can purge the fort at will. Besides, might as well just link the supports to a lever and pull it to collapse the entire fort upon itself, why even bother using magma then?

Also, I'm really hating whomever put the mayor in as the broker. Bugger keeps getting distracted by unhappy peeps to get any brokering done. I've nominated Nujux as the new broker.

I am rather concerned about the magma input though, I'm not sure a single pumpstack is enough to fill the dike without the magma all drying up. Is there a way to fill the dike stage by stage?

EDIT: Derped there. OF COURSE the solution would be to use more magma safe bridges.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:39:35 pm by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2015, 03:10:04 pm »

Yeah, turns out dwarves don't like dead zombies and goblins. Sorry I ditched all the stressed dwarves on you.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2015, 04:19:48 pm »

Im pretty sure the part where we flood the fort with magma is supposed to be the last thing we do. Its a self destruct mechanism for when the fort is lost.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »

There is something to be said for having a magma-flooding device that could selectively bathe certain parts of the fortress in magma without touching others. We could set up some series of levers to determine where the magma went, and thus if the fort defenses fell, we could bathe invaders in fire whilst at least SOME civilians could survive. This has the major advantage of being entirely dependant on good lableing of the levers, which could be very FUN.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2015, 05:05:48 pm »

What the actual fuck. How is this a thing that exists.
That's quite what I thought too :D Never seen anything like that before.

I would also be against destroying our architecture. I think flooding the whole surface area with magma and ensuring all things get burned would suffice. I think we are going to need a couple of grand silos of magma to ensure nothing escapes. Of course, everyone inside towers would survive. For the time being at least..

Maybe we could also build a smaller tower or two as defensive weapons, which would spew magma on future invaders? We're going to bathe in magma anyway, so why won't let others enjoy the stuff as well!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »

If we're at the point where we're pulling the magma lever, we're beyond the point where re-embarkation is viable. Either magma engaged pressure plates, or direct lever linkages to the magma flooding lever to knock down the towers. I'm leaning towards the plates so they'll fall sequentially, making for an easier time on the frame rate.

Would require a rework of the connections so the towers are not held up by anything but the supports. Bridges as floors, and raised ones as walls should do the trick.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 83