Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 214300 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2015, 06:15:40 pm »

If you set it up so that all the towers were supported by single wooden supports, then the magma would burn through them and cause the towers to lethally deconstruct (I think). So it wouldn't need all that much of a workaround aside from channelling out the area around the towers.

Yeah that will work, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Look purging all the living or non-living occupants should the need arise sits fine with me. But why waste all that fine looking architecture? The purge mechanism should be reusable, so we can purge the fort at will. Besides, might as well just link the supports to a lever and pull it to collapse the entire fort upon itself, why even bother using magma then?

Also, I'm really hating whomever put the mayor in as the broker. Bugger keeps getting distracted by unhappy peeps to get any brokering done. I've nominated Nujux as the new broker.

I am rather concerned about the magma input though, I'm not sure a single pumpstack is enough to fill the dike without the magma all drying up. Is there a way to fill the dike stage by stage?

EDIT: Derped there. OF COURSE the solution would be to use more magma safe bridges.

The original Ardentdikes mechanism was re-usable (with heavy re-servicing) and merely flooded the underground. The Moltenchannels one was not re-usable, mostly because it crashed the game but also because it burned out all the axles and pumps, and flooded the central courtyard and the underground. Or it would have, if it hadn't crashed the game and killed the savefile.

So it doesn't need to be total....but we do need to have a device to flood the fort with magma at some stage, regardless of whether or not we end up using it.

(For those who didn't read Ardentdikes, the magma flood system was originally used as a deliberate tool to burn out syndromes. From memory it got used at least twice, possibly three times. In moltenchannels it was just a fun rule, but I used it to wipe out the final goblin siege and kill the fort for good at the end of the succession.)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:34 pm »

What the actual fuck. How is this a thing that exists.
That's quite what I thought too :D Never seen anything like that before.

It happens when a titan is spawned at a 'good' aligned biome during worldgen. By which I mean regions where you have unicorns and feather wood and stuff.

As for the magma pumpstack... I like to think of it as building a foundation that is built to last, so main thing is its sturdy and reusable, so we don't screw ourselves over if we decide to salvage the fort. Leaning more towards Ardentdikes in that sense, though a Moltenchannels 'fuck everything' is still in the cards. I think the suggestion that we can selectively bathe certain parts of the fort in magma holds some merit to it, and is very possible with the way I've set things up. Just have to link the magma input to the top of the appropriate towers, and the drainage at the base. Would need a way to seal off the towers though so that they can be filled and drained individually (Edit: actually, you don't have to link at the top for the input, just have to make sure the magmapump stack pumps up to the height of the tower). For now, I'll like to focus on actually getting to the point where we have magma available instead of thinking of awesome ideas to implement without any magma at all.

EDIT: I'm finished with autumn. Write up to follow soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:26:15 am by Zuglarkun »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 16, 2015, 02:38:59 am »

I'm picturing a city of towers linked together by bridges over a sea of lava....
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #423 on: November 16, 2015, 03:26:31 am »

... with flaming windmills.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »

Aaaaand melting kittens.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 16, 2015, 10:46:55 pm »

-----Birth and Renewal in the Desert of Dreams-----

1st Limestone 205

7th Limestone 205

There has been some delay in the planning, some adjustments were needed. I've discovered that some of the mechanical components were not magma safe, so they will need to be dismantled and rebuilt. Looks like I will have to forgo using granite for the levers. Thankfully things have not gone along too far, so the situation is reversible.
Spoiler: Mistakes were made (click to show/hide)

I was tasked with finding clay by Taupe so we could make bricks and pots. But I've observed that the clay that is on the surface is not usable for such purposes. The only usable clay I have found lies down in the bottom of the lake, near the northern regions.
Spoiler: Prospecting the lake (click to show/hide)

I'll discuss this further with the miners and determine a good location for digging.

Because of the location of the magma dike, the previous well that drew water from the lake will become unusable. I have taken this into account in my calculations and I will be making plans to dig out another cistern to draw out water from the caverns instead. I've had an ominous feeling about the lake for sometime now, and I'll rather we stay away from it entirely if possible.

11th Limestone 205

The miners have struck a clay deposit near the northern edge. As the prospecting pointed out, we had to dig down to find it. A clay collection point has been made to utilize this resource, and soon we'll have clay pots to accommodate our growing food stocks.
Spoiler: Clay deposits found! (click to show/hide)

Recently there has been much discussion among the populace regarding proper living conditions, or rather the lack of them. I don't understand how this is the case, I've refurnished the empty rooms in the main building as personal bedrooms and allocated them to the populace though there are many who still lack their own rooms. I've even stocked up on soap supplies to improve our hospital. No matter, I'll task Blitz Gamer with cooking more lavish meals in hopes that that will stifle the complaints.

Though it seems some of us have instead chosen to take advantage of the situation to pilfer some soap, ridding themselves of the dirt and grime that has been accumulating on their bodies for these past few years. Looks like I'll need to order more soap made.

12th Limestone 205

Our scouts report that some figures have been spotted approaching our position from the south.
Spoiler: I take a closer look (click to show/hide)

Seems like the merchants from Edandatan have arrived with the trade caravan in tow. The dwarves crowd around the main gate to get a better look at the spectacle. An aged looking dwarf separates himself from the convoy and introduces himself as,
Spoiler: Vucar Bakustkol (click to show/hide)

A surprised gasp comes from within the crowd. Haerdalas II is surprised to see her father accompanying the trade caravan and makes her way past the crowd to see him.
Spoiler: a big family tree (click to show/hide)

"Father! Where have you been! I was worried, you and the rest of our family were supposed to have met up with us here at Murderflood after I had set out with my husband first. It's been years now, so I had thought you were all..."

"I'm sorry to have had you worry for this old dwarf. But as you can see, I've been alright. How have you been my daughter?"

I leave them to their little family reunion so that they will have some time for bonding.

16th Limestone 205

I make my way up the tower to await Vucar at the mayors office. I'm expecting some news to arrive. The three of us sit down to discuss matters.
Spoiler: Meeting with Vucar (click to show/hide)

The atmosphere was tense as we gathered for discussion.

"How bad is the situation out there in the east?" I enquired.

We sat in silence for a moment to let is soak in. Looks like there's been a major shift in the balance of power out east. I excused myself and left the mayors office so that I could be alone to take it all in, and I bade the mayor place a large order of goods with Vucar. These mainly comprise of wood, leather, various cloth, weapon grade metal ores and bars as well as various colored magma safe stone. I also bade him order some steel anvils, battle axes, picks and musical instruments for melting, along with some gypsum plaster, some fire clay and rare yellow diamonds if she could.

With that out of the way, discussions moved on towards forging a trade agreement between the two.
Spoiler: Trade agreement (click to show/hide)

Before he left, Vucar approached me discreetly with a package that he was tasked to hand to me by a former acquaintance. He whispered that it was for my eyes only and of the utmost importance. I thanked him and we bid farewell to Vucar as he strode off into the distance.

I knew the situation was dire, but I'm still struggling to cope with the reality of it all. My guild mates in the mechanic's association here gave some words of advice in hopes that it'll help cheer me up a little.
Spoiler: Words of wisdom (click to show/hide)

21st Limestone 205

I've heard that Kogsak and Zuglar have grown to become dwarf children. I congratulated them on their first birthday, and wished them well.

Meanwhile, I've observed that Adil the Glassmaker has been behaving rather peculiarly lately.
Spoiler: Adil in a strange mood (click to show/hide)

22nd Limestone 205

Adil shuts himself within a magma glass furnace and begins sketching frantically on the walls. Ugh, not more vandalism please, I've had quite enough of that with Litast already. I don't need another trouble maker.

I made some minor adjustments to the food stockpiles, removing the seeds from the main food stockpile and separating them into several stockpiles around the farms for easy access. That way, we'll be able to keep track of what we are short of with a mere glance, and the farmers would not need to run back and forth to retrieve the seeds for planting.

27th Limestone 205

Adil has stopped scrawling on the walls and has instead begun working secretly on something.

The mayor has been thoroughly preoccupied with tending to the various complainers that have sprung up. As she is the broker, I have not been able to get any trade conducted. Being frustrated with the situation, I held a recruitment drive to appoint a new broker.
Spoiler: The candidates (click to show/hide)

With the power vested in me, I appoint Nujux as broker. I hope all goes well.

3rd Sandstone 205

The magma drainage system for the magma dike has been constructed. But there remains much work to do before the magma pump stack is fully operational.
Spoiler: Work complete (click to show/hide)

4th Sandstone 205

First time broker Nujux made a successful trade despite being inexperienced. Must be the copious amounts of prepared meals and old clothing we prepared for trading. He still hasn't picked up the art of appraising yet, though I suppose he will learn on the job soon enough. We now have the steel and iron supplies we need, as well as a replenishment of food and drink stocks, a bunch of wood, clay and even barrels.

Down in the forges, Adil triumphantly emerges from the magma glass furnace towing a green glass floodgate, Mokezsokan Bukčtlolor, Cagephrased the Quick Letter.
Spoiler: An artifact! (click to show/hide)

Plain looking, but I suppose it might come in handy.

Up on the surface, my suspicions about the lake were confirmed.
Spoiler: What's that? (click to show/hide)

5th Sandstone 205

The vile mist has subsided, it wasn't able to drift inwards beyond the dike walls for which I am glad. I'll have the scouts pay more attention to the lake just in case. Meanwhile, Pyrotechno has been making a good amount of wondrous silver statues. I ordered a couple of them placed at the front gates, so that all the visitors that come by may admire his handiwork.

6th Sandstone 205

I've finalized the layout plans for a new well that draws water from the caverns. Now that I've seen the foul mist that emanates from the lake from time to time, I trust it even less and I would not hazard any of us approaching it. There's no telling what the mist might do or what is going to wash up in your drink.

Also, with consideration of the amount of magma that will need to be moved, and the possibility that the magma will dry up long before filling the magma dikes, I've designated some floodgates so we can periodically flood the magma dike in stages. Thankfully we have enough obsidian now from excavating the magma cistern that constructing the parts for these won't be much of a problem. I'll get started on these right away.
Spoiler: work work work (click to show/hide)

13th Sandstone 205

Spoiler: The Desert of Dreams (click to show/hide)
A patter of rain drops from the skies. The desert comes to life as white baby toe flowers and yellow pebble plant flowers react to the moisture, coming to bloom. I'm much encouraged by the sight. It just goes to show that life endures and flourishes despite the harsh conditions of the desert; a fine example for us to follow. The flowers bloom especially densely in the needle grass. I'm no nature sympathizer, but even I am a little moved at this sudden transformation of a bleak and barren landscape.

The merchants take this moment to leave, amidst the blooming fields of flowers. What a send off party.
Spoiler: Farewell (click to show/hide)

15th Sandstone 205

Scouts have alerted me that another vile cloud of mist has drifted nearby.
Spoiler: More rolling mist (click to show/hide)

I put the scouts on high alert as the mist drifts close by to the new spot for the well where a lot of hauling is going on. But for now, the mist is content lingering beyond the reach of the magma dike walls. Well, enough observation for now. I must hurry and expedite the building of the magma pump stack!

21st Sandstone 205

The water cistern is being excavated and floored over. Sadly, the flowers have ceased blooming. Their fleeting moment of glory has now past, and the desert sands return to a mundane drab grey. But their moment of glory will come again!
Spoiler: More excavation (click to show/hide)

25th Sandstone 205

Dodok Udosimush Ghostly Weaver has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Perusing the fortress records, I determined that Dodok perished in the ill-fated caverns expedition a year ago. I can still see what remains of her corpse just beyond the walls and I'm afraid it will not be retrievable anytime soon. I'll just have to have her memorialized for now.

1st Timber 205

Much like Urist, I've been growing nervous and anxious as of late. Seems like it is as I feared, we might be the last of our kind, stuck here in this forsaken wasteland.
Spoiler: Isolated and alone (click to show/hide)

Is everyone else dead out there? Could it be that we narrowly eluded disaster by moving out to this out of the way place? Did the old queen know all along that it would turn out this way? Was this part of her plan?

3rd Timber 205

As if in response to the lack of migrants, the fortress is suddenly awash with new arrivals. Thob has given birth to a boy, Ablel Alathrigoth.

Congratulations! Looks like Ablel will be a good candidate for being a military dwarf many years down the line, as he dreams of becoming a legendary warrior.

4th Timber 205

Great news! We have managed to find flux deposits!
Spoiler: Dolomite (click to show/hide)

Turns out its located at the north east side of the chalky plains, buried beneath all the sandy clay. The miners came upon this discovery while digging for a drainage pipe for the new well. I'll order the miners to mine these deposits out once we are done with the magma dike and well preparations.

7th Timber 205

Preparations are almost ready for the magma cistern to be filled.
Spoiler: Almost done (click to show/hide)

I've ordered the miners to chip away at the walls obstructing the magma flow into the cistern. I can't help but feel excited at the prospect of having magma at our disposal to do with as we will.
Spoiler: It is completed (click to show/hide)

10th Timber 205

With a pull of the lever, glorious magma begins flowing into the magma cistern. *fist pump* The design is a success!

11th Timber 205

More newcomers arrive in the form of new births; Bomrek has given birth to a baby girl.
Spoiler: Welcome to Murderflood (click to show/hide)

Congratulations are in order! Likot Armorquests seems to be another good military candidate.

14th Timber 205

Dodok, Ghostly Weaver has been put to rest. Sleep well, one of these days we shall avenge your death.
Spoiler: RIP (click to show/hide)

25th Timber 205

More children are born into the fort. Tobul Unibinod, the Hunter has given birth to a boy!

So many baby showers going on! When it rains, it pours. Obok Tradeshowers seems to be a suitable military candidate, being able to handle stress. With the hauling duties mostly done, I send a small portion of the fortress to prime the magma pumps.

Meanwhile, everyone else will be flooring over the water cisterns to prevent tree growth from clogging up the cistern.
Spoiler: The new well cistern (click to show/hide)

28th Timber 205

The magma pump stack has been completed.
Spoiler: Finally! (click to show/hide)

Though there has been much talk among the populace of what else we can put it to use for, I choose to focus on the practical side of the matter. Its good enough that we even have it as a tool to use at our disposal, so let's not spoil the occasion with talks of fancy self destruct devices and what not. I know it is hard to suppress our dwarfish desires, but there is no need to rush. After all, we're still pretty well off for now.

All that is left is for the magma dike separator to be linked up. Litast the troublemaker takes up the job to render the magma pump stack operational.
Spoiler: Pull the lever! (click to show/hide)

I had chosen her to do the honors, for this will be her chance at redemption for all the trouble she had caused these past few seasons. I hope she does not betray my trust in her by throwing a tantrum in the lever room and rendering all our hard work moot. Right Litast?
Spoiler: Right!? (click to show/hide)

Winter has arrived on the calendar.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:35:35 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2015, 12:09:07 am »

Well, that was a detailed and chunky update right there! Does that mean that the Outpost liaison is now a prince, since his mother just became the new queen? If that's the case, Haerdalas II would make a decent baroness prospect as well.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:15 am »

Well, that was a detailed and chunky update right there! Does that mean that the Outpost liaison is now a prince, since his mother just became the new queen? If that's the case, Haerdalas II would make a decent baroness prospect as well.

I first noticed the change in nobility when I checked the civilizations screen after spring. So I made a copy of the save, then retired and checked. Originally I thought the line of succession would go down to the descendants of the Queen, as I'm aware of at least one surviving grandchild. But instead, it went to another family tree. I think it was because all her direct descendants had died out that the royal crown passed on elsewhere.

So yes. The only Prince. The other surviving prince has converted to goblinism.

Vucar himself is survived by 3 children, 2 of which have also converted to goblinism. So that really leaves Haerdalas II as the sole line of succession. So she might end up as nobility whether we nominate her or not, depending on if Vucar survives. Triaxx II has married into the nobility it seems.

Also of note, Zasit Woundblue was our outpost liaison during Deus Asmoth's turn, and our resident cactus is the younger brother of the current queen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:05:57 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 17, 2015, 01:11:34 am »

our resident cactus is the younger brother of the current queen.
...Right. So apart from Haerdalas and her father, the entire royal family is composed of goblinists and cacti. We live by a sentient lake and the country is ravaged by the power of love. This succession fort is quickly becoming something weird.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:13:51 am by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 17, 2015, 02:53:30 am »

...Right. So apart from Haerdalas and her father, the entire royal family is composed of goblinists and cacti. We live by a sentient lake and the country is ravaged by the power of love. This succession fort is quickly becoming something weird.

I just stumbled onto this without any context and I have many questions
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #430 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:50 am »

I just stumbled onto this without any context and I have many questions

Just... just walk away slowly and preserve your sanity while you still can...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:35 am »

I think the more important question is how you made it all the way to Sandstone without vile mist turning up. I had it for most of the year when I had my turn.

If we are the last fort of our civ left, what does this mean for us practically speaking? Are we basically doomed to get whittled down to nothing, or can we keep out numbers high enough to last another decade or so?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:19 am »

If we are the last fort of our civ left, what does this mean for us practically speaking? Are we basically doomed to get whittled down to nothing, or can we keep our numbers high enough to last another decade or so?

Its certainly possible to continue on even if there are no other dwarves out there and the fort population bug blocks all migration.

Does the population bug block births? If not, we can arrange marriages. The baby boom from that can help work around the problem eventually, as long as we survive long enough for the children to grow up. I'm also pretty sure there are workarounds for the population bug. We are at a healthy 110 at the moment, so barring !!FUN!!, the only way for the fort to grind down is really FPS and determination of overseers to play through their turns.

Barring the increasing unhappiness, the growing ranks of undead in our cellars, the hostile lake, invaders and just sheer overseer stupidity, I think we are perfectly fine.

Also, this quote should really go on the front page.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:40:56 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:37 am »

I believe dwarves from around the world can still migrate to our fort, given that we havent reached the unit cap. This is slowly becoming a factor, thanks to anything in the caverns getting killed as they arrive instead of leaving the map peacefully.

De vaguely refered to a fix for this. I managed to jury-rig a script to clear the dead unit list of most pointless entries. This isnt perfect, but it flushes a ton of dead crundles from beeing counted toward migration checks. Births are unaffected by the unit count. Ill run the script in time if it truly is required to salvage the fort. For now, we have decent numbers.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 17, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »

Also, this quote should really go on the front page.
It's a fine sum up of our current situation!

I'm not sure if I'm completely aware of the game mechanics, but shouldn't someone get automatically assigned as a king/queen if we were to have the last dwarves left of our civ? Also, do rulers go to exile? I vaguely remember someone encountering a king in adventure mode somewhere in the wilds..
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 83