Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 214983 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #525 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:22 pm »

First off, let's just get on with things. If anyone wants to add notes to the save about levers or whatever, there's still a bit of time to do so before the next player either gets the save, or vanishes into the ether to be replaced by someone else.

For FPS, I think we need to un-breach the caverns, seal off some large unused areas, and if the dike still isn't full then we should turn off temperature while it fills. Maybe even keep it off except when we need it. While it does make the lava a bit less terrifying it also makes it a lot less laggy (and was mandatory for the orginal Ardentdikes to survive as long as it did before crashing).

And for Armok's sake lets stop nitpicking the heck out of each other, even in jest. It's hard to convey sarcasm and jest in text format at the best of times and it brings down the mood.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 06, 2015, 06:13:38 pm »

Always forget Mechanisms. I don't use them under magma, so it's not an issue.

When did the caverns get unsealed? I know I protected the two entrances I found.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 06, 2015, 09:32:37 pm »

I'm fairly sure they were still sealed during my turn, but I didn't really do much besides the hostile takeover of our militia and conscripting everyone to build monuments to my ego.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2015, 10:06:52 pm »

I'm fairly sure they were still sealed during my turn, but I didn't really do much besides the hostile takeover of our militia and conscripting everyone to build monuments to my ego.

That describes my turn as well. Only I did make (some) progress on sealing them up. Point is though, if we're having problems now, with this long a turn list (also a new version of DF out which means that there's a risk of the succession dying off if we're not careful) we have to start some very aggressive optimising.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2015, 11:31:42 pm »

Should be okay. Look how long it took before this version was stable.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 07, 2015, 01:05:19 am »

This version is stable?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 07, 2015, 01:44:25 am »

This version is stable?

Murderflood Version 1 went through all 24 versions and was literally disintegrating after only a few ingame years. And there were a few fun bugs along the way. Compared with that, this version is pretty good as long as you're careful.

Kinda sad though. DF2010 (used in Ardentdikes) and to some degree DF2012 (used for Moltenchannels) were a lot better for succession games because they didn't kill savegames as much over time. Except for the units bug in 2012 which was really really annoying. DF2014 seems to be a bit worse for these epic games...at least, from the few bits and pieces I've done. Oh well. Hopefully DF2015 gets itself nice and stable around about the time we end up killing this fort through bad luck and terrible management.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 07, 2015, 07:32:15 am »

Stability is subjective, but I meant with most bugs worked out and Toady stopped releasing new versions of it.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:46 am »

Having played both 2012 and 2014, I agree that overall stability and FPS has gone down in general. But in my experience, these things depend as much on play style, embark locale and other such variable factors, which can be controlled if you are mindful of them. Of course, this all gets thrown out the window during succession games because not everyone is aware of what to avoid.

Heck, that reminds me. We were supposed to floor over before building walls in this succession game to avoid the tree crashing bugs, but no one has observed this rule as of yet and we are still perfectly fine because not a damn tree DARES to grow on the sacred ground of Murderflood.

Oh the cavern seal did come loose during my turn, I didn't do anything to tamper with it but I suspect it was the mudman as they are building destroyers, are ignored by the undead, and they got wrecked by the weapon traps (which was how I was able to notice that things went wrong.)

I did a test run of the game after Gwolfski's turn to try to isolate the FPS problems. I only played 3/4 of a season. Results may vary so take them with a healthy helping of skepticism.

I'm not going to suggest anything, but these things might be helpful to know if we desperately need to optimize the fortress later on.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:18:21 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 07, 2015, 09:33:45 am »

Dumbestdorf declined his turn due to real life. Moving down to Melkor.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #535 on: December 07, 2015, 12:16:08 pm »

we have one tree. in stonesense it looks as if it is running away. please dont cut it down. We needsoemthing to threatwn elves with
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:47 pm »

Are we using Wheelbarrows? And how is the booze supply? I've occasionally noticed the lack of either of those are exacerbated by low FPS.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 07, 2015, 08:49:55 pm »

I don't understand how low FPS makes the lack of booze and wheelbarrows worse ???

We have wheelbarrows. I made a bunch during my turn. Booze supply is constrained due to lack of barrels and pots. Hovering around the 500-600 range at max during my turn. Cooking meals to free up more pots can alleviate the issue somewhat but it is just better to buy or make more pots and barrels.

If wood is a pressing issue, go to the stocks menu and forbid ALL wood before the trade caravan arrives for that season. You can unforbid the wood stocks after they all appear on the map. Kind of exploity but this ensure that they will see we have no wood and bring shit tons of wood to trade. I made sure to order more wood last season so we should be fine for autumn at least.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:56:51 pm by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »

If wood is a pressing issue, go to the stocks menu and forbid ALL wood before the trade caravan arrives for that season. You can unforbid the wood stocks after they all appear on the map. Kind of exploity but this ensure that they will see we have no wood and bring shit tons of wood to trade. I made sure to order more wood last season so we should be fine for autumn at least.

It's not exactly an exploit, that's just the equivalent of stashing all the trash under the bed.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:51 pm »

It's not exactly an exploit, that's just the equivalent of stashing all the trash under the bed.

.....So the door-to-door salesman dumps a skip full of rotting socks on your driveway?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 83