Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212356 times)

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #645 on: January 28, 2016, 06:28:24 am »

I hate to disappoint everyone, but we won't make it to even five consecutive skipped turns. I'll be able to grab the save and get to playing tomorrow evening.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 28, 2016, 08:47:17 am »

I hate to disappoint everyone, but we won't make it to even five consecutive skipped turns. I'll be able to grab the save and get to playing tomorrow evening.
Three have said so. All failed. Now it's your turn to try.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:00 am »

Oooh, fantastic. Grab some screenshots when you start out, please. I've lost track of the place.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »

Murderflood, Evening of 28 Obsidian, 206

Rith Towerboats, manager/bookkeeper of Murderflood, was getting nervous.

“Alright,” she said, “So Sarrak is also unable to take the role of overseer.” She paused, looking down at her tablet.

“Oh! Oh! Pick me!” said an eager voice from the crowd.

“Um,” said Rith, ignoring the speaker. “Let me see who else might be available…”

“Me! Me! I’ll do it! Hey, over here!”

“Taupe!” said Rith, relieved, as she pointedly avoided looking at the small figure jumping up and down and waving for her attention. “Taupe,” Rith continued, “you have experience overseeing the fortress, and so in this case you have the right of first refusal before we consider giving the position to anybody else. Taupe?”

Nobody responded.

“Has anybody seen Taupe?” Rith asked, growing desperate.

“Here he is!” somebody said. The crowd parted to reveal a figure curled up on the ground, moaning. Rith rushed over.

“Taupe!” she shouted, “Get up!”

“Ugh, Rith don’t be so loud,” Taupe whispered, “s’too early.”

“It’s almost sunset, you idiot, and we’re choosing a new overseer,” Rith said, more angrily. “Haerdalas and Sarrak can’t do it so I need you to take the job.”

“We’re choosing something? Is that why there’s all this talking going on?” Taupe coughed and tried to sit up. “You know, I’ve been thinking about talking…”

“What I need you to think about now, Taupe,” Rith said, “is getting over your damn hangover and agreeing to be the next overseer! Now, will you take the job?”

Taupe sat up a little straighter, looked Rith in the eye, opened his mouth, and vomited.

“Damn it Taupe!” Rith said, trying not to gag. “Was that a yes?”

Taupe slumped over and began to snore. Rith's mind was racing. Maybe she could still work with this…

“I think… I think that was a yes,” she told the assembled dwarves. “That means that Taupe will be—“

“Nuh-uh! The case of Urist vs. the People of Boardsomber established that vomiting cannot be taken as assent! We all learned that in history class!”

Rith bit back a curse, and finally turned to the person she’d been ignoring all evening.

“You know what, fine,” she said. “If nobody here cares enough to run this place, I don’t see why I should work so hard to prevent you from taking charge.”

“Does that mean I can be overseer?”

“Knock yourself out, kid.”

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:58:09 am by DuckThatQuacks »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 29, 2016, 09:25:25 pm »

Journal of Meng ‘Duck’ Bristledcrypts, Future Overseer of Murderflood

Hot damn! As of today I am now the youngest-ever overseer of Murderflood!

Even though I’m not legally an adult yet I do turn twelve this year and so I think I am totally mature enough to run this place. And I’ve got a ton of ideas!

But because I am a mature kid almost young adult I’m going to do this right. Let’s start with an overview of our situation.

We’re not in dire need of anything it looks like! That means I can’t dramatically save everybody by single-handedly striking out into the wilderness to recover a lost supply caravan while fighting goblins and mist-creatures but I suppose that on the whole it’s better that we have enough food.

I also ought to review the fortress from top to bottom. That’s something a responsible overseer does.

Spoiler: Ground Level (click to show/hide)

Unlike most forts, we’ve got a fair amount of above-ground construction

Spoiler: One Level Up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Two Levels Up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Three Levels Up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Four Levels Up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Five Levels Up (click to show/hide)

Well, that’s it for everything above ground. Let’s look at what we’ve dug under the surface.

Spoiler: One Level Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Two Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Three Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Four Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Five Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Six Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Seven Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eight Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Twelve Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thirteen Levels Down (click to show/hide)

There’s nothing interesting on the next few levels, but eventually we hit the caverns.

Spoiler: Seventeen Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Twenty-One Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thirty Levels Down (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thirty-One Levels Down (click to show/hide)

So that’s the fort! Unfortunately it is now past my bedtime and mom is yelling at me to go to bed. She says that I may be an overseer now but I’m still a child and I have to do what she says. I can’t wait until I turn twelve.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:40:08 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 30, 2016, 12:21:16 am »

Yay! Murderflood plods on.

Some explanations are in order.

The underground lake is a magma flood proof well cistern actually. The wells are right outside Gwolfski's residence near the statues. There are hatches to seal and unseal them in case of magma flooding, and they might be dry now because the hatches are sealed. There's a lever to operate the hatches in the lever room in the tower south of the main complex, in the room that is full of levers. Those levers are for operating the magma pump stack and the well cistern. There is a separate lever room in the old meeting hall that contains the levers to operate the bridges of hazard and danger (great names).

The room with 3 labels and a lever used to have more levers to operate the old trash disposal before we had magma, but I dismantled them when I made the new refuse stockpile down below and floored over the old trash chute. I think its safe to remove any labels without levers attached to them in that room. Feel free to repurpose the refuse stockpile 21 levels down to something else.

Also, if you can't get the reactors running for the magma pump stack (I could not figure out how it worked when I tried), just use dwarf power.

Please help a fellow dwarf out and dismantle the pump, the blue walls to the south of the forge and the pipeline running towards the magma forges on "One level up" if you can, I didn't have time to deconstruct them during my turn, and they've been an eyesore to me for some time now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:31:05 am by Zuglarkun »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 30, 2016, 05:09:54 am »

What on earth? I thought I'd built those blasted forges so the magma couldn't drain out of them.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:51 am »

Truly an admirable introduction, Duck!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 30, 2016, 10:33:36 am »

Let's hope your turn goes as well as your introduction.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »

Progress! Finally! Please keep it up! And hey, the other room below my quarters was meant to serve the following overseers, so techically it's not MY tower alone. Feel free to move in, if you wish.

Also, Fall of Boardsomber was quite epic!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 30, 2016, 06:27:47 pm »

Nice to see that my tomb (Top of the image for "Seven levels down") hasn't been filled with coffins or dead rats or bags of plump helmets. The above-ground is looking good as well....apart from the dike not being filled yet. But it's there at least!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:32 am »

What on earth? I thought I'd built those blasted forges so the magma couldn't drain out of them.

I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the magma pumping is draining the magma just below the forges because that specific area of magma isn't bordering a map edge, thus it won't regenerate any magma over time. I ran into the same problem in the previous iteration of murderflood.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2016, 07:56:53 am »

Ah, well, turns out I didn't build the forges this time around. Checked my turn and I'd only built the workshop levels.

On the list of things I'll correct when my turn comes up.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 31, 2016, 09:34:40 am »

Journal of Meng ‘Duck’ Bristledcrypts, Overseer of Murderflood

1 Granite, 207:
Well, now that it is morning I am officially the overseer and can start giving orders!

First, I am regretfully closing down the old hospital. It is crowded and dirty and in a hallway that people walk through all the time and we have a much nicer hospital several levels up and I wouldn’t want any sick dwarves getting confused!

Second, I’m ordering Zulgarkun’s magma works cleaned up and expanded. That open pit of magma is very dangerous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We’ll cover it up, and then we’ll be able to build more forges and furnaces AND it’ll be safer!

Since it’s spring time, we’re expecting elves to show up to trade, and we don’t have a trade depot! I’ve ordered that remedied.

In the meantime I’m going to go looking for the levers that release the gates that are preventing the rest of the dike from filling with magma. There’s really not much point to having a dike I think if it isn’t full of magma so this will be a personal priority.

2 Granite, 207:
Looking at our stockpiles, we appear to have plenty of iron and flux stone, so I’ve ordered the production of a whole bunch of steel!

3 Granite, 207:
Everybody is just carrying things around! I want them to work the forges and build the trade depot and expand the magma works but they keep telling me that they’re “Storing items in stockpiles”! I thought they’d be able to tell what was important and what wasn’t on they’re own but I think I’m going to have to give very detailed orders to each and every dwarf about what he or she should do. I guess this is just one of those Burdens of Leadership that I’m always reading about.

4 Granite, 207:
I was up all night (don’t tell mom! I was working by candlelight under the covers so she’d think I was sleeping), but I came up with a plan to organize all the workers. It’s not perfect but I think it should cover most of the things we need done in this place!

There are 101 dwarves living here, but 21 are children and aren’t allowed to work even if they are the overseer. Another 22 are in the militia and can’t be relied upon to do regular labor (we’ll get to them later). So I’ve divided up the remaining 58 dwarves as follows:

2 Brewers
1 Cook
1 Clothesmaker
1 Weaver
1 Carpenter
3 Masons
4 Furnace operators
1 Weaponsmith
1 Armorsmith
5 Growers
3 Farmers, who do pressing, plant processing, etc. — everything but planting
3 Miners, with two of them cross-trained as mechanics
2 Full-Time Doctors
5 Construction workers, who will do architecture, construction, and deconstruction
20 Teamsters who will just haul stuff around
5 Garbagedwarves, who will haul refuse and only refuse

The 22 militiadwarves will be assigned to furnace operating, strand extracting, and hauling when they are off-duty.

Anyway there are a couple of gaps in those labor assignments but these cover our priorities and when I turn twelve this Hematite I’ll be able to help out.

Anyway even though I stayed up all night I’m totally not tired! I’m not! I’m going to go hand out the new assi—

Eep!

5 Granite, 207:
A good leader does not panic. When a siege comes, a good leader sends out the militia and the only reason a good leader does not join the defense herself is because her mom won’t let her. That is the only reason. Not because she is scared.

7 Granite, 207:
The militia are assembled outside the fort and they are closing with the goblins!

They’re fighting! I can’t watch!

8 Granite, 207:
The militia sure do work fast! I, um, blinked, and missed the whole battle! Now there’s just a red smear across the landscape where the goblin army used to be.

With the danger passed, I can finally get around to handing out those new labor assignments. I think they’ll really streamline our operations and give us synergy and stuff.

9 Granite, 207:
It turns out there was an elf diplomat hanging around here! I didn’t even notice him until he started screaming at the baroness.

How did we disrespect the trees? What trees? There’s only one tree here, and we didn’t cut it down!

10 Granite, 207:
I’ve ordered the tree cut down. We need the wood, and the elves are angry at us anyway.

Also, the goblin siege left us with a lot of unsightly corpses. I’ve ordered the construction of a garbage chute that leads straight into the magma dike for trash disposal.

15 Granite, 207:
My reorganization is paying off! Today we finished building our new trade depot!

16 Granite, 207:
Looks like the trade depot got finished just in time!

19 Granite, 207:
Everybody run for your lives!

20 Granite, 207:
The mist cloud dissipated before it reached the fort so we’re all okay. Also I was only under the bed because I was looking for a sock that I thought I lost under there.

22 Granite, 207:
Sarrak apparently really likes his shield.

It means “The Robust Reverence.” I’m not totally sure how that makes sense but I can’t question the alliteration.

23 Granite, 207:
I finally found the levers to flood the rest of the dike! I can’t believe I missed them — they were in a whole room full of levers that I’d just never noticed.

Magma is now pouring into the rest of the dike. I’m a little concerned that it won’t be deep enough, though. I’m going to see if I can get the reactor going to run the pump stack.

24 Granite, 207:
The elves didn’t have much to offer, but we did get some fruit in exchange for old clothes.

1 Slate, 207:
Well, I had to pull seven different levers and build gears and axles in two places, but I got the reactor going! It’s powering the pump stack now! It’ll be a while I think but eventually the entire dike should be completely full of magma!

2 Slate, 207:
We need more coal for our steel production. I’ve ordered some wood burned into charcoal, but we don’t have enough wood to really meet our needs. I’m looking into making a tree farm. How hard could it be?

5 Slate, 207:
Looks like De wants to name his shield, too.

The name means “Plaitedcrews”

18 Slate, 207:

It’s been kind of a long time since we’ve had new migrants to the fortress. Maybe we need some sort of outreach program?

5 Felsite, 207:
The improvements to the magma works are done! There are a lot more smelters AND a glass furnace AND a kiln AND some stockpiles! And it’s all safe and nobody will fall into the magma!

11 Felsite, 207:

One of the construction workers suddenly declared that he had better things to do than building the garbage chute. He grabbed two rocks and barricade himself in a mason’s workshop.

16 Felsite, 207:
Despite Sazir’s slacking, we managed to finish the garbage chute. Now we can dump corpses into the magma to be rid of them.

22 Felsite, 207:
Sazir emerged from his workshop today, inviting everybody to come look at his work.

It’s a nice statue, but did he have to commemorate that time when we had a human king?

24 Felsite, 207:
We’ll, we’ve got  nice big tree farm dug out. Now all we have to do is wait for trees to grow!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 31, 2016, 10:38:29 am »

How did we disrespect the trees? What trees? There’s only one tree here, and we didn’t cut it down!

10 Granite, 207:
I’ve ordered the tree cut down. We need the wood, and the elves are angry at us anyway.

I am immensely tickled by this absurdity, in fact I LOLed for about a minute. I particularly enjoyed your response at this absurdity, which provided another minute of laughter.

5 Felsite, 207:
The improvements to the magma works are done! There are a lot more smelters AND a glass furnace AND a kiln AND some stockpiles! And it’s all safe and nobody will fall into the magma!

Thank you for cleaning up that mess. Thank you kindly.

Now if need be, we could probably expand the complex upwards so that the entire building could be devoted to smelting, metalworks and stuff like that.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 83