Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212349 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #705 on: February 18, 2016, 05:47:37 am »

''For protection''
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 18, 2016, 07:16:36 am »

Ah, I was unaware that was the name of the capital.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 19, 2016, 06:31:35 am »

Not much occurs in fall, until a caravan from Edandatan arrives, bringing much needed goods and supplies. The broker is called and bins of goods for sale are drug to the Depot.

I've asked for all the wood they can bring, some ores and metal bars, all the booze they can put their hands on, and a few other things we're short of. In return they want Crowns and Crossbows, Shields, Bolts and Backpacks.

I've authorized trade of a handful of crossbows and all the arrows we got from the elves in the spring.

I've also ordered some granite walls installed along the bridge leading to the trade island. I've had to make explicit the order of construction. Otherwise stuff will just fall into magma and that won't end well.

We trade for more weapons and tools and most importantly food and seeds. Hopefully the latter will shut up the farmers and the former will give everyone else something to shove in their mouths. We also have enough trap specific items that I was able to finish the third weapon trap on the very end of the entrance, so any goblin lucky enough to dodge the cages and stone falls, will find themselves stepping into a blender. And they will be blended folded and generally mutilated.

I've also ordered the construction of bridges in the new cavern entrance. The plan is to mass produce green glass discs and turn it into the ultimate undead blender. Of course I'm hoping someone smarter than me can figure out how to turn it into an undead trap.

Anyone else picture serrated glass disc traps as looking like the one from Indiana Jones 3? Because I can't stop seeing them like that.

I think I've finally quelched the seed problem. Every single stockpile, except the 6 near the underground farm plots have forbidden pig tail seeds. Not that it's stopped the bloody complaining!

We have received no Migrants this season. I am unsurprised, but I'm not entirely disappointed. More mouths to feed isn't necessarily a welcome thing.

Urgh. The Cloudcuckoolander is throwing a tantrum and has both killed a dog and picked a fight with the Doctor. And worse, nothing seems to soothe her. I'm entirely flummoxed. Perhaps my successor will have better luck.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:40:52 am by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 19, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »

I am attempting a happiness bombardment. The crazy lunatic... err delightful eccentric, wishes to make a work of art. I've had her assigned as an engraver and set about engraving the workshop levels. Yes, it's a bit of a waste of time, but at the same time, no one really cares how they look so it's a good place to practice.

Ah, a Vile Force of Darkness. I've ordered the militia to move into position, and sounded the alarm. The Ballista is ready to fire as soon as anything enters the field of fire. As Vile Forces of Darkness go, this one is pretty big and nasty. There's even a Troll Bowman.

My FPS has dropped to 6 with the arrival of the enemy. The militia charges out to meet them. They crash together in a mangled, tangle of bodies. The siege is broken, not a single goblin or troll survived to flee. I neither died, nor got any kills, but I seem horrified by the fighting. I don't remember being so innocent, but it must have been. I've ordered every weapon we can't use melted for more resources. The armor will need some scrubbing, but most of it should be useful and if the clothes also need it, there's at least enough everyone will stop whining about not wearing pants.

Don't they know ya need to let the jimmies breathe or they don't work?

We did lose one recruit, who was found dead as the militia was returning from the battle. He was found with a Silver Arrow sticking from his neck. It seems he suffocated from paralysis. It is a poor way to die, but he saved the fortress. His sacrifice will not be forgotten.

And now we've had a dwarven child be possessed. How lovely. And he's created a Goat Bone Hatch cover. Yay.

We've had another dwarf give a name to his hammer. Mamotakir.  I'm not sure what it means, but he keeps going around telling others he's going to give the next wave of goblins Mamo-grams. No one's had the heart to tell him it's not quite what he thinks it is. Then again, no one has had the balls to ask what he thinks it means.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:13:10 am by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 19, 2016, 03:41:57 pm »

We've got a ghost hanging around, though I'm not sure why. I've ordered a slab engraved for it though.

I've moved two artifact floodgates out of Duck's room, to improve the dining room. I replaced them with Clear Glass windows, to give a better view.

And that is the end of my tenure as Overseer.

---

I'll post the save tonight most likely. Murderflood 209
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:11:02 am by Triaxx2 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 19, 2016, 04:45:53 pm »

That was quite the fast turn, well played! Is the fps good at the time?

In any case, McKiwi is next to lead this glorious fortress.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »

I'll pick it up when I can..and once it's up. I'm fairly busy right now so I may need the full two weeks, but we'll see.

Edit: Do we have a magma weapon yet, BTW?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 19, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »

We dont.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 20, 2016, 02:18:24 am »

I'm getting 11 FPS with the game running on high-priority. Calling out the Militia drops it to 6. I turned off Temperature, but it had no effect.

Depending on what weapon you build, I suggest aiming for the lower most area to the north. That's where both of the sieges that hit me came from. May want to wall off the lake so that magma doesn't obsidianize it and let things die there where they can come back.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »

I was thinking of just replicating our old forest-fire defense system from Moltenchannels....except I now remember that we're in a desert. So nevermind that.

I have downloaded the save and will begin in the next day or two. Updates may be a little sparse....currently writing a thesis proposal and planning the launch of a student club, so as usual my turn's come up at the best possible time.

Edit:I'm getting 13 FPS. not bad, but not brilliant. Might see about destroying some items and walling off areas that might mess with pathfinding.

I'm also starting some construction work, as is usual for my turns. :P

Just as a side note, we may have a slight morale problem as a result of the sieges, but furniture-based therapy seems to be working nicely:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:48:52 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »

I was attempting an engravement bombing. The Cloudcuckoolander tantrumed at least once, and keeps getting more and more stressed for no reason I can figure out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2016, 04:22:51 pm »

Have her killed. She is unredeemable. Stop her before she kills a dwarf or damages the morale of the rest of the fort.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 20, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »

I was attempting an engravement bombing. The Cloudcuckoolander tantrumed at least once, and keeps getting more and more stressed for no reason I can figure out.

The sea of death and vomit surrounding the fort may have something to do with it. That or the tortured moans of the undead from below. Or possibly the screams of the dead and dying every few weeks. Maybe even the shrieking of the forgotten beasts clawing at the rock, desperate to break into the fort and fill it with (more) blood and torment, although I think most of them have been ripped apart by the undead by now.

But yeah, I'm also engraving the hell out of stuff. I'm not going to execute anyone unless I have to, but the cloudcuckoolander is definitely...troublesome.

I've also  started work on a new hospital and militia barracks near the NE drawbridge. it's a good staging area and if I can get some fortifications up it'll be a great place to kill attackers without lowering the bridges. I'm also spamming traps and buying everything I can from the elves to get rid of stray clothing. It's gone well. We have an owl now, BTW. Also a fresh grizzly bear, giant dingo, yak, and a giant kakapo. Because why wouldn't you want a giant kakapo?

Unfortunately with only 96 dwarves things do take a wee while...but it's not too bad. FPS is slowly increasing...up to 15 now. I think I'll build a great big drawbridge and use it to smash stuff.

Edit: Yeah, things are a bit slow. Going fairly well right now though. You engraving bomb didn't work because your skilled engraver had stone detailing turned off. Will update properly.....later. :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:51:50 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 20, 2016, 06:04:40 pm »

We have a bear now? Finally! Let him roam free in the temple so the bear gods can see we're taking this seriously.

Have her killed. She is unredeemable. Stop her before she kills a dwarf or damages the morale of the rest of the fort.
I honestly don't think her actions would make any difference anymore. Sanity is a word from the past. We have progressed beyond it :D

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:21 pm »

The Cloudcuckoolander tantrumed at least once, and keeps getting more and more stressed for no reason I can figure out.

The noble cloudcuckoolander is a temperamental creature, with a delicate psychological makeup and nerves of a chicken. Of course its going to go cuckoo every once in a while, for that is its very nature.

Do we have a magma weapon yet, BTW?
If you're going for some sort of magma device, feel free to extend the magma pump stack upwards (as was intended). But the bridge to the lever room will be in the way though, so it will require some remodeling.

Personally, I would suggest building an airlock (with the bridges on both ends operated by different levers)for access to the undead caverns. I remember there being an outcrop of rock that would be suitable to the left of the winding magma pit trap. We can use it for short sorties against the caverns which can help regain some FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 83