Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212430 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #720 on: February 20, 2016, 08:43:47 pm »

The Cloudcuckoolander tantrumed at least once, and keeps getting more and more stressed for no reason I can figure out.

The noble cloudcuckoolander is a temperamental creature, with a delicate psychological makeup and nerves of a chicken. Of course its going to go cuckoo every once in a while, for that is its very nature.

She's fairly happy with her new job of stone smoothener. She's also got a nice new silver cabinet in her room, and a fabulous weapon trap with 10 giant serrated discs to astonish her if she goes insane. According to her stats, she likes tranquility...so it's fair enough that she's a bit worked up. I'll try to keep her out of the way for a bit. :)

Do we have a magma weapon yet, BTW?
If you're going for some sort of magma device, feel free to extend the magma pump stack upwards (as was intended). But the bridge to the lever room will be in the way though, so it will require some remodeling.

Personally, I would suggest building an airlock (with the bridges on both ends operated by different levers)for access to the undead caverns. I remember there being an outcrop of rock that would be suitable to the left of the winding magma pit trap. We can use it for short sorties against the caverns which can help regain some FPS.

I'll take a look. Currently everyone's busy with building work, but I might be able to do something along those lines when things are a bit clearer.....my current task is to get the bridges closed so we don't get surprised by a siege in the middle of building work.

...if I do make an airlock, should I fill it with spikes and bait it with a nice cabinet or something?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 21, 2016, 02:28:30 am »

...if I do make an airlock, should I fill it with spikes and bait it with a nice cabinet or something?

I'll leave it to your discretion, I was angling more for using our military to slowly clear out the caverns, but your idea sounds pretty good (and much safer) as well. Perhaps live bait instead of a cabinet?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 21, 2016, 03:38:59 am »

I'll leave it to your discretion, I was angling more for using our military to slowly clear out the caverns, but your idea sounds pretty good (and much safer) as well. Perhaps live bait instead of a cabinet?

Alas, the elven caravan has already left for the year (plus they actually like us right now and aren't being jerks all that much).....I could probably throw the owl or some stray kittens down there. Orginally I was thinking about an atom smasher...but we have FBs down there, and they'd break it. Spikes should kill them and a cabinet would bring them in nice and safely.....but kittens would bring in everything......

......and now I look, it seems possible to build two airlocks. So I'm ignoring the WIP trap corridor I can see in the caves, and doing that.

We have a new titan outside the fortress. A giant quadruped made of green glass. Alas, the gates are shut. It is not getting in.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:06 am »

I actually already dug out and installed bridges for an airlock. It's a pretty long, serpentine passage which I intended to fill with serrated glass disc traps, so the buggers get blended as they try to attack, but I didn't get finished in time. Due in no small part to the time taken to make anything with glass.

I had intended to setup an airlock, but when I tried it, we got immediately overrun by an undead horde that not even the military could slow much less stop. So good luck to you on that front.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 21, 2016, 04:32:47 am »

Yes...mine are a bit cruder. They're basically rooms packed with:

1: A set of ropes, to which shall be affixed several dogs
2: A cabinet, to tempt building destroyers
3. Lots and lots of upright weapon traps, each with a single menacing green glass spike or a steel spear. I'd use more than one spike, but I don't have time and honestly? This thing's designed to lure them into a room and wipe them out...there's no hurry. If I ever manage to get these darned things linked up we can just (in theory) lure things in, close the bridges, set the spike lever to repeat and go and have lunch or something.
4. Drawbridges linked to a control room. Said control room has an attached bunkroom and a food stockpile I need to tweak a bit so it works properly....but it should let folks stay down there a while if they need to. The control room can also be sealed as a last ditch move. If we had a vampire, I'd throw it in there and wall it in.
5. A shared exit to the fort, with an extra bridge and an artefact hatch protecting the exit, to prevent an overrun.

Construction is, however, very slow. Mechanisms are the main bottleneck, but there's also a shortage of furniture haulers.

Edit: Also, a child had a strange mood. A bone crown...base value of about 105K.
I'm stopping for the night now, but I'm at the "grind out a huge number of mechanisms and start linking stuff up" stage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:56:27 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 21, 2016, 12:37:56 pm »

You using Therapist? I find setting chunks of dwarves to have only furniture hauling to help. Of course, that's why the workshops are designed they way they are. Having minimum lateral distance, with just up/down to go for moving things. Raw materials in the bottom, finished goods out the top.

I just checked, and the mechanic's workshop is not properly configured to get stone from the stockpile below it, and give mechanisms to the one above it. The stockpiles are there and set up, but not linked properly. That might help your problem. So would expanding the mechanics workshops. Just duplicate the room structure twice and knock out the interior walls to make a single continuous stockpile above and below.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 21, 2016, 03:56:47 pm »

Nah, I'm just finding dwarves that aren't busy on other things and telling them to go do it. Nice catch on the stockpile.

I think I'll need maybe 50+ mechanisms per room, so this may end up being a "get it ordered so the next guy can use it" project. I'm concentrating on the northern airlock for now. The gates are in and seem to work, most of the spikes are in, and while I don't have any restraints built, they've pastured a dog there and built a cabinet so that's all good.

Also the desert titan that was being annoying has entered the lake. This worries me, since we may actually have a gap under our wall there......

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2016, 06:52:50 am »

Um yes, we have a moat that travels straight in from the lake. Bottom left hand side of the walls. May be able to rush a floor over it if you hurry. If not, have the military waiting.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 22, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »

It appears the titan can't find a path to it. That's refreshing...it's currently walking around in front of the main entrance.

Less refreshing is the fact that our archers won't shoot at it regardless of where I send them....I think we're out of bolts. I'll see about making some more...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 23, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »

Here's the work thus far on the new cavern entrances:

On the left is the old entrance, caked with blood. ABove that is the trap corridor that I decided not to use. To the right of that is the new control room, which I'm still setting up....the food stockpile had some incorrect settings. Over to the right via a tunnel a Z level or two below I've built the new entrances. As you can see, they aren't attached to the caverns yet. But when they are, there will be a means to start wiping out the things that have built up in there.

....once I finished installing spikes and getting everything set up. I really should have made these rooms smaller.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 26, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »

Been a busy few days, but I'm about to get cracking on finishing this up. Quick poll for anyone who's around. Should I:

1. Focus on finishing both airlocks and let the next overseer handle using them

2. Focus on finishing one of them and mothball the second, just to make sure they're finished in time.

or

3. Try to get them both done and in use this year?

I'm still in early-mid summer right now, FPS is pretty decent,  but the fort layout means that construction projects are very, very slow. I'm a little worried about leaving unfinished stuff behind.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 26, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »

If you're worried that they won't get used properly or constructed properly or something, than just try to finish one and attempt to do a test run for it during your turn. Seems like that's what you are leaning towards anyway.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 26, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

If you're worried that they won't get used properly or constructed properly or something, than just try to finish one and attempt to do a test run for it during your turn. Seems like that's what you are leaning towards anyway.

Yeah. I'll cancel a bunch of spike traps from one, use them to finish the other....and then try getting a hundred or so mechanisms set up.

...then we get to see if this works or not, and if it doesn't then the other one can get adapted into a better meat grinder.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 26, 2016, 09:43:56 pm »

McKiwi, are you planning to redorf recactus yourself or can I assume this is from the viewpoint of a ghost cactus? Need to know for er... storyline reasons...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:46 pm »

Make sure the outer lock bridges can be closed independantly from the inner ones, so you can close them off and finish the second lock. (Or the next overseer can.)
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 83