Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212447 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #750 on: March 03, 2016, 05:09:32 pm »

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the husk vanished mysteriously, and the titan is dead...sort of.

The bad news is our military got almost completely wiped out. Currently I'm recovering wounded and...

.....and the game crashed. Huh. Ok, never mind then.

Just restarted to check the save.....looks like it's still good. I lost a month or so, but that's OK....not too big a deal to replay that much.

Although I think I'll leave that titan well alone. Checking the numbers we lost maybe 17-20 peeps.

Protip for future overseers: Do not attack anything with webs on the bridge. We lost pretty much every single elite melee unit instantly.At least one squad wiped out entirely. Didn't see who got the kill before the game crashed on me and made the whole thing moot anyway. I might try killing this thing another way some time, but it's not gonna be in an all-out battle.

....Annoyingly I was at least half done on the spikes as well. Oh well. This is Dwarf Fortress, crashes are a thing.

The cavern entrance is starting to look lovely, BTW. I'm spamming weapons traps down there as well, so we have buzzsaw walls and everything.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:15:13 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »

At least no one dodged into lava. And you're welcome for that. (It seems you can still drown if temperature is off.)

It appears the moat door was never installed or destroyed. Bottom right of the trading island, there's a ramp up out of the magma.

Why does the outer magma bridge retract instead of raising?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:40 pm »

At least no one dodged into lava. And you're welcome for that. (It seems you can still drown if temperature is off.)

It appears the moat door was never installed or destroyed. Bottom right of the trading island, there's a ramp up out of the magma.

Why does the outer magma bridge retract instead of raising?

From memory, because having it raise would have needed one extra column of floor tiles I couldn't get built in time when I made the bridges.

Honestly, I'm tempted to remove the walls around the depot....when I built them I thought it'd be good security. As it is, it actually stops us from shooting at things from across the moat.

But yeah.....that funnel is deadly. If it weren't for a convenient crash we'd have lost about 20% of the fort.

Still! We know that 1: War bears are great and 2: it's time to build a nice shooting platform.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:42:16 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 04, 2016, 04:41:24 am »

Yeah, that bridge is a death-trap if we are to face webspitters (..or living flamethrowers) on it, as it is quite a narrow corridor. There is no escape once the webs start flying. You'll want to have as much open space as possible and encircle the beast before it even has a chance to shoot webs. But yeah, I'd say the most preferable way to kill webspitters is without engaging anyone in battle, if possible.

I lured the titan I had in my turn into the fortress and flanked it from both north and south on our entrance with several squads. It worked fairly well, but there still were casualties. I wouldn't propably do it again, as it was quite a hazardous attempt.. :D

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 04, 2016, 07:30:12 am »

Just carve fortifications in the walls. The long range means no enemy archers can run up to it, and any thing that gets webbed behind it should be fine. Plus free FB silk.

We may want to lay down a second interior bridge, and lure the FB in to the trap corridor. Then we can shoot at it until it gets knocked down and captured. Oh well.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 07, 2016, 06:12:20 am »

Sorry about the delays again. Tomorrow I've got a clear schedule, and I'm gonna try to finish (or at least nearly finish) the year then. :)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:34 am »

So i started looking at stuff and i mu-

I would like to be dorfed as an arcetecht/mason... Who has... Ideas!
Those are not a good thing to have when we're looking for bait to make two terrifying creatures fight.

I am not amused.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:37 pm »

Ok. Finally managed to get a bit of time where the game didn't crash while I'm playing. it still sometimes crashes sometimes immediately after saving, but I think that's an "our save is huge" issue rather than what was causing the old problem. Which I have fixed, as far as I can tell. Things are actually going fairly well. 15 FPS steady.

For take 2, I got the diplomat out and then shut the gates. The traders may get killed, but eh. Free stuff if they do. And I've got temperature on so a fight is likely to burn the husk.

.....and it stopped moving. Ok. it only paths in when we've got a clear route in. That's nice.

--------------

To control movement and stop idiot recruits running outside to collect forbidden equipment, I've created a new burrow and set it as the civilian alert. It covers the entire fortress.

--------------

The traders left nice and safely, and I cycled the doors to let me do some maintenance in there. We've got mountains of stuff there that we don't have stockpiles for.....time to clear it out and start some improvments.

I'm expanding the trade depot area.....carving fortifications, adding some extra floors...and I'll probably move the depot itself.

By the first week of Galena, construction is well under way. Down at the cavern entrance, I'm just under halfway through connecting the spike traps.

I'm also ordering new armor and weaponry. We've got a lot of metal bars (I had to make a new massive storage area), so we should see about using them for something. Alas, we still lack bolts....I don't seem to be able to tell the military to actually carry them, despite having bolts assigned. Odd.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:22:04 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 08, 2016, 11:10:37 pm »

I have the same issue in Whisperwhip at the moment. Onr squad simply refuses to pick up and carry bolts. I removed the stockpiles, melted the old ones and made new fresh bolts, nada. The only thing that worked was to remove and readd a bolt entry in the military-ammunition section. It worked for exactly once, then the game crashed.

It seems that in my case, other squads will list a bunch of specific ''assigned'' bolts, but the problematic squad only has an allowed number of bolts in the middle column, with the specific assigned bolt list on the right remains empty. Removing and readding a bolt number for other squads leads to them reassigning new bolts without issue, so I guess the problematic squad itself is at fault. Maybe creating a new squad and moving the dwarves there?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 09, 2016, 12:13:39 am »

I have the same issue in Whisperwhip at the moment. Onr squad simply refuses to pick up and carry bolts. I removed the stockpiles, melted the old ones and made new fresh bolts, nada. The only thing that worked was to remove and readd a bolt entry in the military-ammunition section. It worked for exactly once, then the game crashed.

It seems that in my case, other squads will list a bunch of specific ''assigned'' bolts, but the problematic squad only has an allowed number of bolts in the middle column, with the specific assigned bolt list on the right remains empty. Removing and readding a bolt number for other squads leads to them reassigning new bolts without issue, so I guess the problematic squad itself is at fault. Maybe creating a new squad and moving the dwarves there?

Worth a shot. I'll try it out later and rework the scheduling. They're not very good at melee. :P

EDIT: Also, I've made a tomb for.....either Triaxx2 or Taupe. One of them already had one. Fairly basic, but I like giving tombs to overseers. Currently working on a few more...my own one is still in progress. :)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 09, 2016, 07:12:53 am »

Do we have enough Quivers? I've had an issue with that before.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 09, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »

Do we have enough Quivers? I've had an issue with that before.

Looks like we do......McKiwi has a quiver, but isn't carrying bolts. I'd say it's the bugs.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 12, 2016, 05:15:27 am »

Sorry for the extra delays (again). I got sick. :(

Did some squad reworking and tried to fix the bolts. Will check later and hopefully get this darned turn over with.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 12, 2016, 06:29:19 am »

Nobody's complaining :)

Checking in just to say I'm really interested in how we are going to deal with (or not deal with) the web spewing glass titan on our front porch with our current setup.

This seems to be a problem with the assigned ownership of bolts to a squad. I've dealt with it before and the best way is to remove the assigned bolts entirely and make a new assignment just as you've said. Otherwise, you'll have to use up those assigned bolts somehow before the squad picks up new bolts. Try to trim the assigned bolts down to around 250 for each squad and produce lots more bolts and see if anyone picks any bolts up. Also no bolts in bins.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:40 am »

We could probably kill it if we got a shot off with the Ballista. I'm pretty sure that's why we installed it to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 83