Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212390 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #825 on: April 12, 2016, 01:53:24 am »

I tried pumping out the water from the canal on my previous turn to get someone build a grate there, and it ended up drowning a baby. I'm not sure if I want to mess with magma too much.
Oh yeah! I saw that dead baby!
Welcome to Murderflood! Come meet our dead baby! Five bucks to see him, ten bucks to pet him!

Eh, can't really charge money when it's inaccessible.

Oh yeah. I just remembered: I ordered some fancy coins made. Just for the fun of it. Didn't get to look at them to see what's on them.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 12, 2016, 03:52:45 am »

I tried pumping out the water from the canal on my previous turn to get someone build a grate there, and it ended up drowning a baby. I'm not sure if I want to mess with magma too much.
Oh yeah! I saw that dead baby!
Welcome to Murderflood! Come meet our dead baby! Five bucks to see him, ten bucks to pet him!
Eh, can't really charge money when it's inaccessible.

Oh yeah. I just remembered: I ordered some fancy coins made. Just for the fun of it. Didn't get to look at them to see what's on them.
Well, at least you can take a look at the baby. The temple roof offers a nice and clear vision to the depths of the canal where his skeletal remains are. So, five bucks to see him, and ten bucks.. to feed him with a coin?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 12, 2016, 09:05:38 am »

Oh wow this is almost like a real economy...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:29 pm »

I saw those coins. You want to know who made them? ME, FLAME.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2016, 11:32:52 am »

Progress check. On a scale of one to making progress, how much progress is being made?

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2016, 04:43:42 pm »

Just finished spring. Sorry for the delay, I've been surprisingly busy in RL. I'm going to write an update tomorrow at some point. It's been quite uneventful, except for one of our glaziers who is now missing his head.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2016, 09:35:49 pm »

Just finished spring. Sorry for the delay, I've been surprisingly busy in RL. I'm going to write an update tomorrow at some point. It's been quite uneventful, except for one of our glaziers who is now missing his head.
Is he... is he ok?

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 17, 2016, 05:51:54 am »

Is he... is he ok?
Yeah, I think he's much better now. Doesn't have a need to overly worry about things anymore.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:44 pm »

At the secret meeting of past overseers:

Vuohiparta: "A WEREBEAR ATTACKING US? AGAIN?? ARE YOU SURE?"
Flame III: "Yes, Stukos has been bashing it with a mace for a while now"
Vuohiparta: "But how?! What have we done wrong?? We even built a temple for the bears!"
Taupe: "Dunno. Gwoflski, you're next on the overseer list. Are you ready to take on the challenge?"
Gwolfski: "Uh, may I pass it this time? Let this fellow handle this for now."

Gwolfski points at Vuohiparta.

Gwolski: "He's the one managing the bear cult and all. I think it's him who should try to get on with the bears. I'll do my best to clean up the mess afterwards"
Taupe: "Fine, that sounds reasonable. Vuohiparta, the bear is all yours, along with the responsibility of all consequences we might face because of this attack. Good luck, and don't get yourself killed!"
Vuohiparta: "But.."
Gwolfski: "Sorry, mate."

-----

Spring update

Vuohiparta's Overseer Diary
Murderflood

1st of Granite
So, I am yet again in charge of Murderflood. And at the very first day of my second year as an overseer, I am to face my failures. A werebear has indeed attacked our fortress, even though I tried to do my best to appease the Bear God during my first period as an overseer. Why are we facing His wrath now?

We'll have to come back to that later, as Stukos, one of our most talented macedwarves, is fighting the beast. Alone.

Others from his squad arrive at the scene, only to find a dead werebear and a gem setter. Shift done!

Stukos has run out of breath, but otherwise she seems to have survived the encounter without a single scratch. This is most fortunate. Perhaps it was just a mere warning from the Divine Björn to get us abandon our false ways before a greater doom befalls us. Maybe I should take a look at the temple..

3rd
More wildlife encounters. This time, three mantisperson were wound climbing the wall of Asmoth's tower. They appear harmless, but our people are afraid of them. I order our marksdwarves to shoot the bloody things down.
Spoiler: Off with you! (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, our anti-air capabilities are quite unadequate. No-one managed to score a single hit, so the idea was abandoned. The creatures scattered though, so they are no longer interrupting work. We even managed to catch one somehow. No-one is quite sure what to do with him, though.

4th
Another bear containment area is built, just in case. It is right underneath the temple. Some other arrangements in the temple area are also to be done.
Spoiler: Now we need a werebear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adamantine (click to show/hide)
Some adamantine had also been left unmined. This is what we could safely extract for now. There's more down the spire, but no-one really knows what might lurk beyond the depths of earth..

6th
The temple is now cleared of all random animals littering up the place. I should have known better and ordered all the animals out before handing over overseership to others. Also, all our Sacred Bears were nowhere to be found upon inspecting the place. They should've been in the temple all along! I can now understand why the Omnipotent Ursus sent us another werebear. This kind of negligence just isn't tolerable.

A barn owl is fiercely guarding a nest box someone had placed in the corner. She refuses to leave the place, as she has laid some eggs already. Fine, you can stay for now. The canals have also been floored, which is something we have to accept for now..

10th
The earth shook near the first cavern layer. A new beast had entered the undead-festered caverns!

Some of our people were excited, and hoped the beast would clear a way for us to to "finish the airlock". What's an airlock?

11th
More dwarves gathered around the small holes in the cavern walls and peeked upon the fight of two colossal creatures. An undead sauropod vs. a giant armadillo!
Spoiler: He lived to his name (click to show/hide)

Such a dissappointment. The armadillo just spew some dust around him. The sauropod mauled and choked the creature in less than a minute. Well, back to work then. I am explained the idea of the airlock. It is supposed to help us get rid of the undead in the caverns. That undead sauropod really scares me off. I wouldn't want to let it anywhere near our fortress. Nevertheless, a pickaxe is given to a random pump operator. He shall be the one to breach into the caverns once the time comes.

14th
Elves are once again found loitering around, and an elven diplomat invades the personal elf-free space of our duchess. They want to set up a tree cap again. Yeah, I remember we had a tree here some years ago.
Spoiler: Hippies on a desert (click to show/hide)

He also brings some disturbing news from the elven lands. Apparently, goblins aren't only the bane of our people. This is certainly worrisome..

15th
Nujux gets to the depot. On time!

16th
For some reason, the elves don't like bringing any wood with them. Or any other items of value. I do check the animal cages. Let's see, a dingo. A giant mosquito. And a breeding pair of Giant Keas.

They are now ours.

27th
Supposedly, the lever with a huge load of mechanisms is the one which controls the airlock spikes. It is marked now.

----

1st of Slate
There's an idea brewing in my mind. We really don't have the dwarfpower to sacrifice if a siege, or a beast would yet again arrive. We must have ways to dispose threats without putting our people in danger.

A bunker full of magma could be nice. Blueprints are drawn.

6th
Flame has been down lately. Apparently, some of his masterworks had been melted. We have loads of items designated for melting, how should I have known there are masterworks among them? But hey, there's also something positive happening right now. The Keas have laid eggs.
Spoiler: It has begun. (click to show/hide)

13th
An unknown force possessed Duck. He then claimed a mason's workshop and started gathering stones, along with cat and pig leather..

20th
Duck has finished his work. It is a floodgate!

24th
The artifact floodgate is placed at the end of the airlock. If a hostile creature gets that far, it will be swayed by the sheer brilliance of the floodgate, halting it's advance.

27th
Glazier Tulon threw a tantrum, threw some gloves at Nujux, and McKiwi was kind enough to shower Tulon with arrows in exchange. If he survives, we'll have yet another cripple crawling around..

Wait, someone just said he's dead.

Apparently Bomrek decapitated him while he was being dragged to the hospital. Yeah, it's that Bomrek who bursted a wolverine head into gore with a single punch. I'm just wondering if it was a good idea to rotate the military and give more weapons to psychopaths a bit hot-tempered individuals..

-----

11th of Felsite
It is harder and harder to concentrate on overseeing. Time seems to pass by so slowly. I feel there's too much time for thoughts. Dark and depressing thoughts. I feel more and more engulfed by them.

As we still have much adamantine wafers lying around, I order some adamantine weapons made. At least we'll be able to take down any beasts these lands will throw at us.

12th
It is most pleasant to see, that our weaponsmith is more than competent.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Forge more, please.

22nd
Nothing is really happening lately, which might actually be quite good just for the sake of our mental well-being. Slowly, but surely, more and more people are starting to show sings of anxiety.

As we have constructed many statues, I order them placed all around our fortress. They just might give someone something positive to think about. At least for a second.

28th
And so, we have reached the end of spring without any more incidents. Some preparations for using the air-lock have been made. Also, our magma-defence bunker is getting ready. Otherwise, it's been quiet. If I recall correctly, a terrible tragedy has always followed times of peace here in Murderflood. We still have no migrants. Sometimes I can't help but think, we are all here but trapped, only waiting for our inevitable demise..

Perhaps, I should go and take a look at the statues again.

-----

So yeah, here's spring. I'm also abandoning constant overwatch of the game and letting it run on the background more. It takes quite a long time to finish a season. I was just wondering, should we try to attract our queen to settle in Murderflood? At least we could get some extra dwarves, assuming the queen and her entourage is alive somewhere.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 17, 2016, 09:30:28 pm »

Getting the queen sounds like a solid plan. That artefact floodgate was also quite well timed.

Great update so far, buddy. Maybe you should give a custom title to our resident decapitator. Like ''Anger-management class dropout''...Or really just Resident Decapitator... or just Headsman.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 17, 2016, 10:11:36 pm »

Nice update!

It harkens back to the early updates with Taupe's MsPaint art. Nicely done!

Are we a metropolis yet? We would need 140 dwarfs at least to attain a metropolis rank to attract the Queen.

Nothing is really happening lately, which might actually be quite good just for the sake of our mental well-being. Slowly, but surely, more and more people are starting to show signs of anxiety.

I have to say, out of all the succession forts I've had a hand in, that is the longest page of death related thoughts I've seen yet.
Spoiler: Good job! (click to show/hide)

If this is starting to show anxiety, I don't wish to know what it's gonna be like when things start spiraling out of control. Any plans to activate the airlock on your turn?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #836 on: April 18, 2016, 01:58:11 am »

I still have to build that volcano... But I'm in Doomforests now, so... !!SCIENCE!! shall be done.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 18, 2016, 03:51:18 am »

Are we a metropolis yet? We would need 140 dwarfs at least to attain a metropolis rank to attract the Queen.
Ah, I totally forgot about that. Nope, we're still a city. We have only 90 residents left and the amount of population is on a slow, but steady decline..

I might try the airlock on my turn. The undead FB just worries me. I'm also not sure if the undead are actually trying to path anywhere at all. They only seem to move when they find something to kill. Getting them to the airlock area might require the use someone, or something as a bait.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 18, 2016, 08:03:57 am »

A breeding pair of giant Keas? I suggest we immediately proclaim a Keamaster.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 18, 2016, 12:59:09 pm »

A breeding pair of giant Keas? I suggest we immediately proclaim a Keamaster.
A good idea! Any volunteers? Or shall I perform a lottery again?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 83