Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 215230 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »

Autumn is done. Update pending. Not much has happened during the season, but right now at this moment something is certainly happening. I've passed the two week deadline, but I'd like to go through winter if you guys are ok with that. Shouldn't take too long.
Is it a werebear? It's probably a werebear...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2016, 04:27:46 pm »

Didn't we have like a billion war bears at one point? What happened to that?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2016, 05:03:44 pm »

Didn't we have like a billion war bears at one point? What happened to that?
They probably turned into dwarves.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2016, 05:13:56 pm »

Bear? Where bear? There bear. AARGH!

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:04 am »

Is it a werebear? It's probably a werebear...
I wish it were.. a bear.

Let's just say I built something and it turned out to be rather bad design.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 26, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »

Oh, one of those. I love those. You forgot fluid's flow on diagonals didn't you?

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 26, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »

Oh, one of those. I love those. You forgot fluid's flow on diagonals didn't you?
You'll see, you'll see...

Anyways, it's time for..

Autumn Update
-----

Vuohiparta's overseer diary
Murderflood

-----

4th of Limestone
We begin autumn by assigning new building projects. As we've seen how simple the concept of magma-towers are, we shall build another pair of them. This time on the northern entrance. As there's a difference in elevation on our north entrance, the towers will be slightly different. Now we actually need only one bridge per tower for magma release.

We also shall build some special rooms for some of our.. "special" persons, with the purpose of cheering them up a bit. I'm not sure how much it'll help, though. I fear some of us have already gone beyond reach..

10th
A dwarven caravan arrives! Maybe we'll finally get some wood!

11th
Nomal is throwing a tantrum and at the same time, Tulon is haunting the fortress! Besides, we have buried Tulon! What is this?
Spoiler: Chaos everywhere! (click to show/hide)

12th
Nomal is on a rampage. First, he punches a marksdwarf, who quite surprisingly maintains his temper. Then Nomal steps up to a honey badger and cripples it with a well aimed punch to the spine. Then he proceeds to the mayors office, where our liaison is also headed..

13th
No news from the dwarven realm. I'm not sure if it's a good, or a bad thing.

The liaison and mayor are having a conversation while actually being in different rooms. The liaison is in the mayor's office with Nomal, while our mayor is in the next room. Nomal doesn't seem to want to punch anyone in the face anymore, even though our mayor seemingly assumed otherwise. The situation seems to be under control again.

14th
Trading commences. Yet again, there's no wood. I request some of it to be brought on the next caravan visit.

18th
A smell of burning flesh and dwarf hair permeates the air. Likot, our administrator/militia captain fell. Into the dike. He was building a floor next to a bridge closing one of the planned mainteinance routes to the northern magma towers. There are several different eye-witness stories of what happened. Some said Likot had just finished the floor, but somehow it collapsed right in front of him. They said he tried to prevent it by grabbing the falling floor. Some others say that he was just placing some stone bars on the edge of the bridge, but forgot to let his hands go of the said bars, thus somersaulting into the dike. Whatever the reason, a huge pillar of smoke was spewn out from the dike, striking two people on the entrance bridge and knocking them unconscious. Fortunately, the only injuries they received were the ones they got from dropping stone bars they were hauling to their feet.
Spoiler: Dwarven fun (click to show/hide)

..am I the only overseer here whose building projects end up in needless deaths?

(PRO TIP: Never try to connect a floor to a bridge, unless the floor is connected to another floor/wall..)

20th
Nomal has calmed down, but is still punching people. Something has to be done now. I order him convicted. Some time in jail should give him some better ideas for his life.

Also, a bunch of people followed our captain of the guard far away from the safety of our fortress to report crime.

What if a siege would've arrived? Or vile mist? All the corpses and items are marked for dumping, but I don't think we'll ever get all this stuff hauled away.

26th
Rith, our previous jailbird has seemingly been just released, and he's depressed again.

Now that I think about it, it's actually quite easy to relate to him..

-----

1st of Sandstone
Oh, Armok.. Nomal has been punched to death. I thought the guards were going to sent him in jail, but instead they sentenced a beating! He took a couple of hits, and then his head bursted open..

..which gives me rather grim thoughts. We can handle commoners throwing tantrums, but what if our military-dwarves began punching people? Some of them have been training for so long, that they've developed triceps on their faces.. I believe we just had a prime example here.

I'm also letting all crimes go unpunished again. It's better that way.

2nd
The Keas aren't nesting. They seem to be much happier with chewing pieces off their nest boxes. Come on birds, get on with it already!

3rd
The Operation Airlock is soon ready to begin. Pump operator Bembul has been assigned to the levers controlling the airlock bridges. Ral has also been told to get ready, and make his way to the airlock entrance.

8th
Finally, we have Kea eggs. And they are safe from dwarven egg-thieves. Perfect.

(Oh, btw. Keas aren't trainable for war, which is sad. Should we do some.. magic?)

14th
Ral doesn't wan't to do it. Every time we tell him to go to the airlock entrance, he just freezes and wants to have a meeting with the mayor. We keep telling him he's the chosen one, and timeless glory awaits him in the future. He's not really buying it. (For some reason, assigning him to a burrow wouldn't work. He just stopped doing anything at all, until unassigned from the burrow.)

We also have a giant salt person roaming around the caverns. His name is Oszit.

No one is really betting for him to make a stand against the undead dinosaurs.

17th
Ral went to sleep and is now on break. We did give him a dig job with very obscure instructions. If he gets it right, he should find himself digging at the cavern airlock entrance without even being aware it's THAT cavern airlock wall. We'll see.

18th
Ral is finally making his way below. He's going to do it.

19th - 21st
Ral is digging, while Bembul is ready to turn levers on command.
Spoiler: The Moment of Truth (click to show/hide)
---
Ral breaches the cavern wall. Nothing happens. The great beast nearby doesn't seem to detect anything. Ral then decides to knock down another part of the wall down and leave. And nothing happens.

..until KOSMZĹ, the other undead beast suddenly arrives out of nowhere! Animals try flee in terror, but they are slaughtered immediately. Now the other beast also seems to understand something is going on, and it comes closer to the airlock.

A brave war dog lures Kosmzĺ further into the airlock. Kosmzĺ punches him, and he flies next to the spike room entrance. Kosmzĺ follows..

Bembul is seemingly in such joy, that he tries to constantly arrange parties in the lever room. Don't forget you have a job there!

Kosmzĺ rushes into the spike room, and destroys every living creature out there. Now there's a dog lying in the corner, unconscious. And surprisingly, the beast doesn't do a thing. The dog bleeds out, and the foul undead creature stands where our baits were. Right there, where we don't have spikes..

22nd
The situation in the airlock is quite stuck. The undead seem only to move when they detect something they can kill. Kosmzĺ isn't on the spikes. The other beast has also parked himself on our airlock entrance, but it seems to be doing nothing at all.

24th
Until someone gets a good idea how to lure Kosmzĺ into the spikes, we're forgetting about the airlock for now. As the undead in the caverns won't move anywhere without a bait, getting them to the airlock will be very difficult. We might have to try something else in the future.

-----

1st of Timber
Rith is oblivious. Nothing new, unfortunately.

6th
There's been something weird going on with the militias. For some reason, almost no squad had a room assigned for training. That has to be fixed immediately. Also, I've changed the training schedules a bit, so that we have more workforce available at all times.

Also, the other pair of magma towers has been finished! Or actually, they might resemble kettles more than towers. Along with a new and shining ballista, our northern entrance should be much more defendable now. We also don't have to keep the northern bridges perpetually closed anymore.
Spoiler: The New Two Towers! (click to show/hide)

The magma tower design is a bit different now. Instead of just flooding, the magma now splashes into the ground, hopefully spreading it immediately all around the area of impact. It would be nice to test these things first, just to see how the magma acts once it's been released. But it's magma, so it's also quite risky. Better wait for an invasion. I'd also advise future overseers not to open both towers at once, unless the magma doesn't flow well.

8th
There's a definite reek of putrefaction in the airlock. I also have an idea. We could dig a hole in the airlock roof and drop some animals there, just to lure that Dino of Death into the spikes.

17th
For some reason, the miners don't want to finish the airlock pitting hole. I guess they are just busy. Rith is also throwing a tantrum!
Spoiler: Good practice (click to show/hide)

24th
Right, our miners somehow built stairs leading downwards. While they were one level higher. And that's why they couldn't reach the dig site anymore.

I really don't understand how it is even possible, but it's fixed now. The pit is ready, and a reindeer has been assigned to be dropped.

Asmoth is also taken by a mood! And he claimed a forge!

25th
Digging the hole in the airlock roof seems to have lured Kosmzĺ on the spike traps! Turn the lever!
Spoiler: Stab! (click to show/hide)

The spears do some damage, but they don't seem to be able to hit any vital areas. I'm not sure if we can kill it this way.. Nevertheless, Bembul can keep repeating the lever. At least we'll cripple the beast, as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

26th
Look at this! Asmoth has taken some adamantine for his work!

Suddenly everyone wants to take a peek at what he's doing.

28th
We've finished autumn. Winter is coming. We lost a couple of good dwarves this season, but no grave disaster struck us. I've also been feeling much better lately. I guess some months in military duty have given my life much more variation. Less time to think, and brood in death. Maybe I haven't lost all my hope in this place.

"HOO BOY! SOMEONE BETTER COME DOWN HERE QUICK!"

Who's that? Wasn't it Meng? I believe he was taking the reindeer into the airlock pit. What is it this time...

(Winter Suffering and death is upon you.)
-----

Here's the autumn update. Something is coming at us. Details on the next update, as the discovery was made precisely at the 1st of Moonstone. BUT YOU'RE FREE TO TAKE GUESSES WHAT IT IS.

Oh boy.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 26, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »

Traffic designation could help. Just red the area right next to every lava so people dont look for a way to plunge into it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:37 pm »

I was the one who disabled the military's barracks. Over half our small population is in the military! Nothing ever gets done if the military has a barracks! That's why we have so much junk!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48:50 pm »

24th
Until someone gets a good idea how to lure Kosmzĺ into the spikes, we're forgetting about the airlock for now. As the undead in the caverns won't move anywhere without a bait, getting them to the airlock will be very difficult. We might have to try something else in the future.

Instead of luring Kosmzĺ onto the spikes, why not bring the spikes to Kosmzĺ? Shut the entrance closest to the caverns to seal Kosmzĺ in, then unlock the seals on our side and send in all our military.

6th
There's been something weird going on with the militias. For some reason, almost no squad had a room assigned for training. That has to be fixed immediately. Also, I've changed the training schedules a bit, so that we have more workforce available at all times.

Erm, this was done so that we'll have a workforce, because a hell lot of folks are drafted into the military and they would all train instead of doing work even when schedules are set to do nothing. Its part of the reason why all the corpses out there aren't being dumped at all. No barracks frees up the military half the fort to haul and stuff. (ninjaed)

Here's the autumn update. Something is coming at us. Details on the next update, as the discovery was made precisely at the 1st of Moonstone. BUT YOU'RE FREE TO TAKE GUESSES WHAT IT IS.

Kosmzĺ climbed out of the pit?

..am I the only overseer here whose building projects end up in needless deaths?

As per Ardentdikes tradition, and doing a beary good job of it might I add.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 27, 2016, 05:29:50 pm »

Kosmzĺ climbed out of the pit?
Yes, exactly. I honestly didn't know it was possible. But I could say everything went much better than expected, thankfully. We even managed to kill another beast without even knowing about it.

Hmm, yeah. That militia system seems to be quite bugged. I assigned training quarters for the squads, as we did have active squads. But without a place to train, they did absolutely nothing. They had the "Soldier (no activity)" -"job". Wasn't aware that they keep training even when not assigned to training..

I believe I can also quite safely announce that we have created THE artifact! I'm just not sure whom I should give it to.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 27, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »

Hmmph. Clearly I needed to add more spikes. Oh well.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 27, 2016, 10:23:35 pm »

Must construct additional spikey bits.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 29, 2016, 04:24:45 am »

I bet I'm going to make an adamant mace, just to make sure it's completely useless.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 29, 2016, 05:42:36 am »

Don't maces benefit from the ultra small strike point like lashes? So a hammer would be more useless?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 83