Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212316 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:05 pm »

Don't maces benefit from the ultra small strike point like lashes? So a hammer would be more useless?

You're thinking of a morningstar.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »

Morningstar is the spiky ball on a chain, mace is a spiky ball on a stick.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 30, 2016, 05:22:37 am »

Morningstar is the spiky ball on a chain, mace is a spiky ball on a stick.

Uh. As in this kind of morningstar.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As far as I know, its the only "mace" type weapon with an edged attack in DF. In DF Maces only have blunt attacks. Spiky ball on chain would be a flail, but unfortunately flails in DF don't have edged attacks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 03, 2016, 07:04:07 am »

War keas!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 03, 2016, 11:06:18 am »

Yeah, unless something has changed recently maces are just blunt weapons that are slightly worse than hammers (I think because of the velocity multiplier?). Addy hammers can at least be used to avoid death by hammerstrike if your baron decides he doesn't like your legendary armoursmith, while blue maces have no inherent value unless you want to give your jester a substitute bladder worth a few million dorfbucks.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 03, 2016, 04:35:48 pm »

Btw, winter is finally done. I'll post the update tomorrow. I can also upload the save before that in case the person next in line wants to continue before the update. I'm also terribly sorry to have kept you guys waiting. I didn't realize how busy these past days would turn out to be.

Winter was actually quite uneventful. But one dwarf did turn out to be a geonaut. What's sad about it, is that he's dead.

Oh, and don't worry about the artifact weapon. It's going to destroy things.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 05, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »

The great undead theropod made it's way up the stairs. It reeked of death.

So, this is it, thought Meng.

A rain of blood showered on her as the beast ripped the reindeer bait to shreds. Then Kosmzĺ, the horror from below, locked it's hollow gaze upon Meng.

The beast attacks. Meng swiftly evades. She finally realizes the true horror of the situation. She's fighting this thing all alone.

She raises her crossbow. She remembers undead creatures must be hit in the head in order to put them down. This might be her only chance.

The arrow is launched. It hits Kosmzĺ in it's lower body.

The beast keeps pummeling Meng. She just manages to block it's fierce attacks. There's no time to reload.

Kosmzĺ grabs her arm. Meng barely blocks another attack. Then she briefly sees the flash of sharp talons.

-----

The Winter Update

-----
Continuation to Vuohiparta's overseer diary
Murderflood
-----
1st of Moonstone
This is not happening! Kosmzĺ somehow climbed out of the airlock!
Spoiler: Hello there (click to show/hide)

How is this even possible? How can a gigantic dinosaur with small hands somehow climb out of the airlock?!

Meng and the reindeer are dead. A general alarm is signaled and all squads are rushed in to the scene. I also need to suit up.
Spoiler: The death of Meng (click to show/hide)

The squads gather on the stairway entrance. Kosmzĺ seems not to be aware of anyone yet. Maybe we could wait this out and build a wall around the stairway?

Wait, someone is seen walking towards Kosmzĺ. It's Asmoth! He's been out searching for gems for his work of art! I fear we might have to charge the beast before it sees Asmoth..

..oh. The horrid creature just saw us. It's closing in! Charge!

Marksdwarves open an impressive barrage at Kosmzĺ, but to no avail unfortunately. Our garbagedwarf Deduk, one of our freshest rookies, is the first to engage the beast in melee.
Spoiler: Can this end up well? (click to show/hide)

More people join the fight. Zan, one of our marksdwarves is brutally decapitated. He actually flies to the rooms above through stairs. What a grim sight..

Everyone's bashing Kosmzĺ now.
Spoiler: This is Haerdalas (click to show/hide)

We do have one advantage over Kosmzĺ. We are way faster, and skilled in evasion and blocking. For every hit Kosmzĺ attempts, there's many times more warriors retaliating. Now the beast lost it's hand. And now another.
Spoiler: A pile of dwarves (click to show/hide)

And then, our garbagedwarf Deduk hits Koszmĺ in the head with her silver mace. It makes a very nasty sound. Kosmzĺ collapses on the ground. It was Deduk's first notable kill.

What a fine victory. We lost only two dwarves. But what a horrible way to start a season.. I can yet again only blame myself for this..

The weapons I saw in the fight were mostly made of steel or silver. Didn't I order many adamantine weapons made? Where are they? This requires an inspection!

2nd
The cavern stairway is now getting walled. The airlock is also shut for now.

3rd
I am now finalizing military rotations. We shall only keep one squad active for now, as our military severely affects our production and hauling. Also, every adamantine weapon is in use. The warriors wielding them just weren't mostly there when the undead theropod attacked..

4th
Someone spotted a pile of salt in the airlock on the spike traps upon routine inspection. That's a bit weird. I wonder where it came from?

6th
Zaneg has grown to adulthood now! We give blessings to him. And then we draft him to the military.
Spoiler: A remarkable feat! (click to show/hide)

7th
Rith is depressed again. It seems the statue therapy isn't working very well. At least he's not throwing things around this time..

9th
Everyone is partying, even though we have much work to do. Well, we did manage to survive the onslaught of Kosmzĺ. I guess we could celebrate it a bit. I just am not in the mood for it..

12th
Asmoth has began his construction!

16th
Asmoth forged.. an ADAMANTINE SHORT SWORD! He is now truly a legendary weaponsmith!

The desert sun made the blade shine beatifully. This sword is truly our light in these times of darkness. It also bears concrete evidence of the mighty foes fallen by our valiant heroes.

We must give it to someone truly worthy.

17th
Some discussions were had conserning the fate of the legendary sword forged by Asmoth. We named several worthy dwarves, but Asmoth gave a cold stare every time someone else than him was considered to obtain the sword. And in the end, the only right to do was to give the sword to Asmoth. He's the one who forged it after all. And his skills in fighting with swords are also generally considered to be legendary. He's also slain dozens of foes and is one of the most experienced soldiers alive around here.

The name of Asmoth and his sword are to be remembered forever in history. He shall be the protector of Murderflood.

Also, one of our older artifacts seem to possess an image of the sword.. even though the sword didn't even exist back then!
Spoiler: Is this normal at all? (click to show/hide)

What is this sorcery?

24th
A badger steps in our traps and dies on top of another badger corpse.
Spoiler: They never learn (click to show/hide)

-----

1st of Opal
Rith threw a tantrum! Luckily he didn't do anything. I'm getting worried about the fact that this is happening quite constantly nowadays..

8th
This is how the cavern stairway looks now.
Spoiler: We're safe now (click to show/hide)

14th
Azula is now an adult! She is very strong, but our squads are quite full. She shall make clothes for the time being! Congratulations!

18th
Young Zaneg went out to haul something and saw the bodies on our front yard for the first time ever. He's utterly devastated. I honestly wasn't aware how oblivious the children have been to the horrors we have faced..

19th
We're building something. It's looking nice.
Spoiler: We don't need helmets (click to show/hide)

20th
Two reindeers gave birth. We do have quite many reindeer around here already..

Also, there's been a Kea training breakthrough. Keas are quite capable and ferocius animals, but surprisingly no-one has ever thought about the possibility of train them for war.. until now! Keamasters Taupe and Imic of Murderflood shall be the brave pioneers of the project. We are training only the male for now. We don't want to disturb the female, who is still incubating the eggs.

24th
Rith is tantruming again. Now he's back to punching people. We must convict him, whatever the sentence! Apparently he'll be put to chains.

25th
Rith is throwing his clothes around while being dragged to custody. He then punched a bear and Sibrek when she was dragging him away. Sibrek is in our military and has a will of steel. She panicked.

26th
Rith finally calms down after punching a cat. Sibrek has again taken hold of him and is dragging him to the prisoner tower. We'll finally have some peace here for now.
Spoiler: The rampage of Rith (click to show/hide)

Rith has actually been having more positive thoughts lately.

He's also finally found some friends.

Yet, he's tantruming all the time. Is there anything at all we can do?

-----

2nd of Obsidian
Bomrek, our captain of the guard, is actually lacking proper rooms and equipment. That shall be fixed. His office will be on the lower part of the overseer tower.

4th
The ghost of Tulon is still hanging around here. She doesn't seem to have forgotten his past life as she's still moving around the places she used to go to when alive. Is she truly dead then? I'd consider her blessed. She's not bound to her mortal body anymore. Nothing can do her harm. Ever again.

They say some seek forbidden knowledge to prevent aging and death. What if they've been wrong all this time? What if death itself, is the ultimate way to achieve immortality..?

5th
We've built a random tower, and it is quite ready! We shall use parts of it as a zoo and put our caged creatures there. There's also a pit on top of it. We can try it out and watch what happens to a reindeer when it's pushed over the edge.

10th
Rith Urdimkogan has been found dead! Apparently she fell.. from nowhere! There's blood on the bottom of our newest tower though..

What is going on?

11th
The tower pit works.

18th
Dumat was found carrying loads of cloth with him while she was ordered to be stationed. She never gave an answer why she was hauling them.
Spoiler: What (click to show/hide)

20th
Our giant desert tortoise became wild again! It also forgot how to get around traps and triggered quite plenty of them.. It's still alive, but not sure for how long. Someone should go and put it out of misery..

25th
More reindeer are dropped from the tower, as they keep multiplying like rabbits! The male kea is still waiting for his war training to happen, as Taupe and Imic seem to be very busy. We also still have these mantis persons flying around. They seem to look like they're trying to leave this place, but for some reason they just cannot. It's as if something doesn't allow it for them. This desert truly creeps me out..

28th
The winter has passed now. I'm grateful we didn't have to suffer any other attacks after the rampage of the undead beast Kosmzĺ. I'm not sure how I would've held up. We also noticed Zas has been pulling the airlock spike lever on repeat for.. quite a long time already!

No-one actually told her to stop..

We also managed to finish some of the buildings around here. We have the tower, and there's now two new barracks just in case we're going to need them. But now, I am once again finishing my duties as an overseer.

On far away realms, snow is slowly starting to melt. Spring finally arrives. New life shall sprout.
Spoiler: AAAARGH! (click to show/hide)

And our giant mosquito dies. The cycle is complete.

-----

Here's the link to the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12003

Once again, sorry this took longer than it should have. But yeah, now my turn is done! I'm a bit surprised how peaceful this year was in general. I guess we also should have three little keas wandering around fairly soon. I think we should avoid training the female kea until the chicks have hatched. It might ruin the whole thing as training nesting creatures tends to bug them out.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:02 pm »

Hah. I may not be a queen or a baroness, or even a mayor, but at least I have a really fancy sword.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 05, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

When in doubt, build more towers. Also, good turn.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 09, 2016, 06:23:13 am »

So, is Gwolfski next?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #880 on: May 09, 2016, 11:11:12 am »

YAY! Strawberries + hell...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 09, 2016, 11:33:55 am »

What is you and your obsession with strawberries?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #882 on: May 09, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »

I honestly don't know.

By the way, I think I'll change the SA (strawberry assocoiation) into the SS (strawberry society)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 10, 2016, 01:56:15 pm »

Strawberries+hell=Hellberries?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:09 am »

Gwolfaky is technically next, but I know for a fact that he's busy with one fortress and up for basically two more not counting this one. The next player in line is thus Heardalas!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 83