Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212299 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #915 on: June 17, 2016, 04:51:16 am »

Yes, but like many other things in this fortress: I can't seem to find them. or they're stupidly far away. And this one I can build so it can be shut off. Plus it'll add another tower.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #916 on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:26 am »

I have maps of it in my writeup
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

Mapses are for elveses.

Ishlum Raluklam the amber bristleworm has come. Beware it's webs. (Last time it got one shotted by a random peasant with a crossbow.) It doesn't go well for our chief medical dwarf. She seems to have lost half of one leg, and the beast was taken down by crossbows. The medic has also had her other leg badly injured and one arm as well. It seems as though her options are to be an administrator.

On the seventeenth of the second month of the year 212 Stukos Giginshorast Letmosduthtish Iklist, Gem Setter has bestowed the name Vosutost upon a Silver Mace!

And now Vuohiparta has been taken by a fey mood. Interesting. And now he's claimed a Magma Forge. We'll have to see what he makes. He still hasn't started after a while, but I'm busy screaming at those who are SLOWLY filling the pond under the reactor. I may just have the first pump myself. Though I seem to have detected the minor issue that it's technically impossible to reach the pump to start it. Bugger.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #918 on: June 18, 2016, 03:05:09 am »

Use the ones I built.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 18, 2016, 06:26:28 am »

Never. Besides, it'd take significant work mining and we're supposed to be going UP with the fortress.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 19, 2016, 09:15:44 am »

Well well, it seems Vuohiparta is onto something. he's grabbed an Adamantium Wafer, and Stray Reindeer Cow Bone.

I've ordered the deconstruction of the old magma forges down in the lower works area. They serve no purpose, and lack of magma means they have grown cold. We can reclaim their anvils and materials for use else where. I've also issued orders for two more Magma Glass Furnaces in the upper area. Speaking of that, I've ordered the area above the smelters roofed over, so we can store both Inputs and Outputs up there.

I see someone has had the foresight to floor over the ditches since last time I was in charge of this place. As summer rolls in, we find ourselves with another Kobold Thief. I think it might be time to give some other military squads orders to train.

Ugh. At some point we've lost our book keeper. Haerdalas has volunteered to take over the duties as well as her managerial tasks. Of course her discipline is literally the stuff of legend, but still. I hope she's not taking too much. Not that I'm going to argue, given she's significantly stronger than I am.

Interesting, a human caravan has arrived. Vuohiparta is still collecting bits, including some Reindeer leather. But for the moment, I'm going to go chase some people with empty buckets.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 19, 2016, 09:02:31 pm »

Anyone care to explain the pillars of lava at the door? If it's just there for looks, cool, though if not, I'm not sure why it's there.

We're slowly filling the trap corridor, the first few traps are built, and the rest will be laid in as weapons come to them. The initial bank is all blunt weapons, the better to bust their limbs, and slow them down as they progress into the quite literal grinder. We'll deal with those undead the dwarven way.

The humans, bring a trade caravan, and annoyingly a diplomat. Fortunately, having both a Duchess and a Mayor, I don't have to be annoyed by the diplomat. I do have to scream at Nujux when he wanders off in the midst of trade negotiations though. Mean time, the mayor gets re-elected. I snigger at him in the hallway. An emergency election is no way to get out of meeting with the diplomats. He tries to strangle me with my own beard. I can't help laughing, as I turn out to be strong enough to fight him off with almost no effort. Haerdalas kicks him in the knee as she goes by, carrying an armload of paperwork.

I'm still not quite sure how to use siege weaponry. If I did, I'd set one up to fire down the trap corridors.

Huh. It seems that the corpse of one of the forgotten beasts has managed enough kills to earn it's own name. Cethaiquila, On Gostatmexa Stosposnum's corpse. Urgh. Are undead Forgotten beasts immune to traps like live ones?

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 21, 2016, 03:55:21 pm »

..did Vuohiparta craft anything nice? I didn't even remember he had skills in metal crafting.

Pillars of lava? You mean the magma bunkers? They can be opened to offer free magma baths to anyone we like.. or don't like. The levers should be in the hammer-shaped building.

Yeah, undead FB:s are also trapavoid. But spikes connected to levers work, although they didn't seem to do much last time. Also, the problem with the undead is that they won't path into anything without a bait, so getting them into the corridor will be a bit tricky.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 21, 2016, 04:51:25 pm »

I'm using bait. An entire fortress worth. There'll be a pressure plate that raises a bridge into a pit.

Haven't played any more. Work saps energy like nothing else. Vuohiparta is still gathering materials. He seems fascinated by reindeer bits.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 22, 2016, 12:48:03 pm »

We finally get enough buckets and idlers to get the pond filled the point where the pumping system is actually working. This is a good thing. Hopefully this will be enough power to run the system.

It is, but it needs a bit more water to provide enough power. There we go. It fires up the stack once it reaches 400 power, and just a few minutes is enough to fully charge the system. The world stops warping quite so badly (10 FPS), though the area around the reactor itself is a little wobbly. I order the levers thrown to open the cistern, and begin disengaging the reactor. It mostly pumps out the water into the cistern, and I order an access stair set in on the western side of the cistern, so we can fill it up with buckets. It's deep enough that it won't dry out, but I'd rather have too much water to work with than not enough.

I also order the dwarves to collect webs, so they'll clean up these titan webs on the surface. We occasionally bump all the way up to 16 FPS, but the game falls back down to 9 as soon as it notices I've noticed.)

Vuohiparta is STILL collecting materials. We're into late summer now, and Haerdalas has the books in order again. We're not lacking for booze, so I'm not sure why it takes so long to get any walking done, but there it is. He's got an awful lot of jewels, so hopefully it'll be a valuable artifact, whatever it ends up being. And another master metal crafter is never a thing to sneeze at.

Sweet, he's snagged a Nether-cap log and started work. We'll see what he gets soon.

I am going to KILL HIM. Vuohiparta, for some insane reason, has created this:

Zagodiggal, "Griptraps" a adamantine mini-forge. This is a adamantine mini-forge. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with rectangular rhyolite cabochons, studded with adamantine and encircled with bands of reindeer leather. This object menaces with spikes of nether-cap. On the item is an image of pearl millet plants in Reindeer bone. On the item is an image of dwarves in Sphalerite. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Murderflood the Channels of Melting of The Stirred Irons in the early spring of 200. On the item is an image of briolette cut gems in milk quartz. On the item is an image of mangroves in yellow spessartine.

For some reason this bloody hunk of junk is worth 753,600 dwarf bucks.

Haerdalas grabs me just before I can reach Vuohiparta, and leaves me impotently swinging my axe just an inch or so short of the target of my rage. I pull back for a throw and she steals it.

I've found my undead bait...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 23, 2016, 10:37:05 am »

I've had... several drinks. I'm not sure what this stuff is, but in comparison, normal ale is diluted fruit juice. It ate through a mug. It'd already eaten through a barrel. It's been tucked away into a green glass pot. It seems only to be a minor issue, with a little bubbling off the bottom. 's good stuff.

Right, our undead beastie is fighting Giant Rat. It goes about as well as you might expected it to.

Trouble is throwing a tantrum. I'm not entirely sure who's problem this is, but I'm reasonably sure it's not mine. Sadly, though he's guilty of multiple counts of disorderly conduct, it seems none of them are worthy of a jail sentence, so he cannot be confined that way.

I'm going to try and expand the dining room a bit, stretching it out north over the fortress. I've heard a lot of complaints about it being cramped. So we're going to punch out the corner of the wall, and stretch some flooring out to the north. Then we'll move the walls, and recenter the room, spread the tables out a bit, probably into sets of four.

Ah ha! A siege of goblins! Excellent. Everyone inside! Troops! Go stand in front of the ballistae! Let 'em come to us! They've not brought any trolls, which is a good sign, and they're advancing in more or less order, which isn't really, but once we get them into the narrows on the bridge, we should be able to mince them but good. Trouble is busy throwing a tantrum. I've thrown him into the Order of Cactus. He's an unarmed, untrained wrestler. Hopefully he'll give the goblins trouble instead of me. That, or they'll make a fine mince out of him.

"We all ready? We're off to meet them. We'll stand them on the open field and crush them beneath our dwarven might! Doctor, go set up the hospital, I'm officially relieving you and your one good arm from combat duty."

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 26, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »

Not many have lived to tell tales of a dwarven charge. But if you've never seen it, it's quite impressive. There are always the sprinters, the very fast dwarves who get there early, and get first in line, and then charge ahead of the pack. There are the marathoners, life long military dwarves who are aware that eventually the enemy will come to them. And the old timers, who while still enthused for a fight because they're dwarves and there's lots of booze waiting for the winners, prefer to let the whole fighting thing happen to others. And then the archers at the back wishing they were the other sort until they run out of bolts and become the other sort but with a not too stout stick instead of a sword.

Mostly it just looks like a ruckuss as we all fall over one another. But we spread out and go through the goblins like a sober dwarf through a brewery. One goblin falls into the moat, and tries to swim for it. I tell the Order of the Cactus they're welcome to amuse themselves and shoot at him until he goes up in smoke. The rest of us fall back and attempt to wash away the blood and bits. Some dwarves are more enthusiastic about spreading their enemies around than others, and not at all keen to share.

Well... at least we'll have some bits to sell to the caravan? I've noticed a flaw in masterwork clothing. It flags it as lost every time one wears out. Perhaps this is why fashion designers are all insane?

I notice that the cistern has gone dry. I'm not sure why, because we did go to the effort of topping it up. Unless of course it needs a roof. But that doesn't make much sense. Ah, the Caravan is here. We fill the depot with some finished goods and I go hunting for Nujux with a big stick in hand. The Merchants have brought a fair whack of stuff, on a whopping six wagons. Of course the unloading takes so long Nujux wanders off for a snack. Can't honestly blame them.

We get nearly everything, except for a few bits of stupidly expensive clothing, and they leave with a profit. The margins are tremendous.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:57:29 pm by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:49 pm »

The fortress continues, uninterrupted. Dwarves flow back and forth, hauling away the absolute mountain of goods from the trade depot. (I find it amusing that the only thing that gives my computer pause is trying to display the amount of blocks hanging around this fortress. According to the estimate, we've used nearly 15,000 blocks in and around the fortress. Wow.

I've designated quite a bit of material for melting down, including the spare anvils we have. We've got enough forges we can rebuild if we have to, but all that iron and steel can be better put to use for stabbing people. And by people, I mean elveseses.

We get more vile mist, but it buts up against the walls, and dissolves the moment it's over the magma. I can't quite say we've TAMED the lake, but it's sure less a nuisance than it used to be.

Ah, the liason has finally cornered the mayor... or the duchess. I can't tell which from this angle, but he's got someone. Now it's safe to slip close. The world is the same as ever. How... helpful. I throw a party, in an effort to raise the mood. We're also finishing off the expanded Dining Room. There we are. Now it's twice the size, and has more room between the tables. Each table seats four, and that should stop the complaints about it being cramped.

Aside from more misting, there's little activity on the lake, or indeed anywhere else in the fortress. The long walk to winter has finished and it is nearly upon us. I'm getting ready to make the fortress ready for the next overseer.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 01, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »

Despite the size of the previous gaps, I feel it only right I apologize for this one. I completely forgot I hadn't finished the turn last time. :P

---

Winter of 212: Reign of Triaxx2 (2)

Other than a bit of partying, and quite a bit of Vile misting, nothing interesting seems to be going on.

Err... bugger. The Forgotten Beast Boratolon Ususapa has come! A towering hairy Tarantula. It has a pair of squat antennae and it belches and croaks. It's carmine hair is unkempt. Beware it's Poisonous Bite!

Fortunately, it's on the outsides of the trap corridors, so hopefully it will go and fight the undead. Downside is it's likely to end up undead itself. Great...

Yup, it's undead. Happily, it's no longer my problem. Sod this, next!

---

Finally finished. Okay, packed up and the save uploaded. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:04:28 pm by Triaxx2 »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 02, 2016, 04:40:23 am »

It's my turn now right?

Looks like I'll get to continue the misadventures of the dwarves of the Channels of Melting.

I hope I have the time to make it a good turn. No promises, I've not been DFing at all recently but I will do the best I can. At least the FPS problems should be somewhat alleviated by the new laptop I bought recently. I've not really been following the thread. Anything I should know?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83