Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 215525 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #945 on: July 19, 2016, 06:07:47 am »

Those odd designations are from DFHack's planning mode, so it'll throw up tables as soon as there are enough to install.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:27 am »

WAR KEAS!!!!!!!!!
Yes, i do read this. Sometimes.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 22, 2016, 12:41:56 am »

EDIT: De is still alive, and a military leader to boot, though his left foot is gone. Giant keas are not reproducing, by which I mean all their eggs have thus far been unfertilized, trying to get that fixed. Anyone wants a status update on their dwarf?

Foot schmoot, all I want to know is how is my bear.

You do good work Zuglarkun, don't let anyone ever tell you different.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:52:09 am by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 22, 2016, 01:51:18 am »

Quick update:

It is now autumn. The caravan has arrived and I am leading the military by cutting a swathe through caverns 3 undead population now. Aban has been seriously injured, not by undead but by being ninjaed in the face by magma crabs. Too many things to micromanage at once, while trying to take screenshots. Will take a short break and proceed to clearing the rest of the third caverns.

De -> Atir Swamphammers (your pet grizzly bear) is fine, sadly did not take part in the breach, and is at the moment chilling with the rest of the dwarven children in the memorial slab room.

Expect an update sometime tomorrow. Will try to finish up the turn asap, but will likely take longer than the allocated 2 weeks.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 23, 2016, 01:00:28 am »

1st Hematite
Our steel supplies were running out. Though we have a few iron ores left and plenty of iron bars. We were constrained by our pig iron stores. Worse still, were our dwindling logs supplies meaning we had little to replenish our charcoal stores. But worse still was the flux. I set miners to this task immediately.
Spoiler: mining for flux (click to show/hide)

4th Hematite
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've tasked Pyrotechno with forging more armor to make up for the deficit. Immediately, he has went ahead and made a masterpiece steel mailshirt.

Spoiler: Alert Intruder (click to show/hide)
A thief! Wait what? A thief? Now? I haven't seen those fellas since...

Yeah you better run!

Asmoth makes a trio of masterpiece steel battle axes for the cobalt charms. And... now it looks like we've run out of steel. Great, have to get the smelters working on the double.

12th hematite
A human diplomat from Usmenbehal has announced his arrival.

16th Hematite
The human diplomat Eri convenes with our duchess for a little 'chit chat' they call it. I listened in, but there really wasn't much news of note. So this is what humans deem as politics eh? Sitting around and doing a bunch of nothing. Hah!
Spoiler: Human politics (click to show/hide)

17th Hematite
The human caravan from Usmenbehal has arrived, hot on the diplomat's heels, and Edzul has once again been re-elected, the lucky bastard.

Spoiler: wait, what (click to show/hide)
I've received a most curious report from the watchers. Erm, the rain (at least I hope its the rain) seems to have caused the lava moat to spout off bursts of steam clouds. Is this normal? The moat is not gonna erupt on us or anything is it?

4th Malachite
As if in synchronization with the bubbling lava, a cloud of vile mist has been spotted emerging from the lake!

9th Malachite
Yeah yeah no migrants. What's else is new?

12th Malachite
More vile mist. The lake seems to be in upheaval, almost desperate it seems, trying futilely to hinder my plans.

We traded away the rest of our trash for more iron goods to melt down. The rest of this grown elvish stuff that is untradeable? We're gonna incinerate it.

19th Malachite
Spoiler: a visitor (click to show/hide)
By Armok's damp beard, the sudden appearance of this the Ruthlessness of Terror had me worried there, but the forgotten beast has wandered off in the sealed second caverns, so I don't think we ought to worry about it for now.

Well, Nuwetha has gone ahead and engaged in combat with the undead population down there, I guess we ought to cheer it on for thinning the crowd there. But it will be troublesome if it dies and reanimates.

Nuwetha isn't looking so good at the moment, leaving a trail of blood in its wake. Most likely the result of being covered in vile forgotten beast extract, its taken out several undead though, so all is good.

26th Malachite

Doctor Sarvesh has taken on a honey badger! The dumb beardling chased down and tussled with the honey badger before passing out from exhaustion. Weak fool! You underestimate your own prowess!

Well, I guess not. I guess that's taken care of itself. Good thing you didn't get yourself killed.

28th Malachite
Nuwetha has died from its wounds. Seems like overexposure to forgotten beast extract. That's the main reason why I am not risking an expedition down there and I'm instead tackling on the relatively safer third caverns first. Besides that, the presence of undead pond grabbers makes an expedition down there, problematic.

1st Galena
Who was it that ordered the dumping of this ammo bin of copper? Its full of bolts! Oh boy, Flame is going to be mad!

8th Galena
Kivish Lokumsebir has given birth to a boy, Erush Oakendike.

"Strong fella this one is", I made a mental note to myself. "Good candidate to be drafted if he makes it to adulthood."

19th Galena
More vile mist... Will it ever relent? Oh who am I kidding, the mist has been kept at bay by our superior lava technology. We have nary a thing to worry about as long as we do not venture close to the accursed shoreline.

21st Galena
Urist Idtost and Taupe were not getting on in their training, being novice or dabbling in skill. Considering the impending circumstances, I removed them from their original squads and drafted them into a new spear squad along with Azula. At least they will get to use the adamantine spears and this will keep them out of trouble for now, for they won't be utilized in the upcoming battle. After checking each and every military dwarf, I'm fairly satisfied with the state of armament we have. The breach will be scheduled in the next month, once we get all this grown elven trash incinerated.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:23:52 pm by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 23, 2016, 08:45:13 am »

Yay! Shit is happening! The fort is being cleaned!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 23, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »

Wait why am I in the military and what the fuck is up with the smoke coming out of the moat?

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 23, 2016, 10:54:24 pm »

Wait why am I in the military and what the fuck is up with the smoke coming out of the moat?

Having recently read something like 30 pages of this thread playing catch-up, I don't think there's any aspect of the running of the fortress that Taupe hasn't had a hand in at this point. He's done pretty much everything at some point. I'd be interested in seeing his stats.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 24, 2016, 09:28:54 am »

Quick poll:

Try to secure caverns 3 or try to kill as many undead in caverns 2 as possible while it is still my turn?

Taupe -> someone drafted you there before it was my turn, I could undraft you if you please.
De -> you'll be disappointed, Taupe's stats are pedestrian at best.

I'm at the tail end of autumn now, also I think the elves are going to be mad with us next year. We are close to breaking those imposed lumber limits and I don't see why we should stop  :P
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:32:12 am by Zuglarkun »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 24, 2016, 08:35:14 pm »

Try to secure caverns 3 or try to kill as many undead in caverns 2 as possible while it is still my turn?
I'd probably suggest securing cavern 3 and maybe even trying to deal with the problem permanently.

If you can wall off the area under the lake so nothing can get in and die in there anymore, cavern 3 will be safe again, for a given value of "safe". At the very least the forgotten beasts and cave spiders won't be undead monstrosities as well.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:05 am »

Definitely secure cavern 3.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:30 pm »

Quick poll:

Taupe -> someone drafted you there before it was my turn, I could undraft you if you please.
De -> you'll be disappointed, Taupe's stats are pedestrian at best.

I'm at the tail end of autumn now, also I think the elves are going to be mad with us next year. We are close to breaking those imposed lumber limits and I don't see why we should stop  :P

Jack of all trades, master of none. I get it.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »

SAVE IS UP. Still 40.24, I hope FPS is better now after cleaning up somewhat.

If shit is not working, let me know. Also, I just realized I forgot to dorf all the newcomers.

Also, write ups to follow soon.

TheFlame52? If you will please?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 29, 2016, 12:33:10 am »

7th Limestone
Morgan amlitast has come of age! Congratulations, we needed more workers especially since we were lacking a woodcutter, so grab an axe! You will be joining Nujux!

10th Limestone

"Come I've been expecting all of you." I beckoned to the dwarves that had came.
Though their faces were haggard, I could tell from their keen eyes that a smoldering fire had been lit in them. As they gathered around impatiently awaiting my word, I could sense that they were eager for battle.

The military captains gathered around the granite table and I laid out my plans for the breach to the third caverns.

"This is what we know of the layout of the caverns so far..."

"To the north of our breach position, is this- (I struggled momentarily to find the words to describe the landscape) -creeping eye plateau, infested with undead creeping eyes!" I motioned with my hands making exaggerated circling motions in the air. No one budged an urist.

"So once we breach the perimeter, this will be our first objective to secure." The captains gathered around fiddled with their beards and gave a slight nodding motion.

"The rest of the ranged squads will stay behind along with one melee squad to deal with any undead planning to flank us from the sides. "

"From what we know-" I continued.

"-directly to the north of the plateau, hidden from direct line of sight on top of q spore tree canopy is Spugac Simo's rotten corpse."

"I caution all of you to avoid engaging this foe until all our numbers are gathered in full force. A flock of hungry head corpses are gathered behind it so be on the look out for them."

"To the south of our position, lies territories unknown to us. I will leave it to you all how to deal with the situation as you see fit, but I urge you all to stick together. It would be dangerous getting stranded and isolated in the winding tunnels taking on foes one at a time. We'll need to stick together and engage their forces with superior numbers to avoid losses, there is no telling what else lies beyond the darkness."

"We shall set off before the break of dawn tomorrow. May Armok bless the length of your beards!"

All the squads were activated, except for the fledgling fortunate lances. They were left to train on their own volition.

11th Limestone
With a clank, the iron gates were opened. Sarrak our commander was the first to sprint out of the gates, making a beeline for the gorlak corpse straight ahead.

Kivish the marksdwarf (carrying erush her baby) were right behind along with De, erith, Goden and Imic. The undead corpse was quickly dealt with. We regrouped while erith wandered off somewhere with Atir the war grizzly bear.

Next up, came the rutherer corpse from our left flank. It withstood our punishment before backing off somewhat. Meanwhile, Onol, De and Aban raced off to the north to deal with the steady stream of corpses coming from creeping eye plateau. After the undead rutherer was dealt with, I took a risk and sent all the melee squads northwards to cut a swathe through the undead on creeping eye plateau, and to establish a foothold on the open ground there. I tweaked the alerts to allow retrieval of corpses of erith Dakonkulet, Aban Tekkudthak, Dodok Udosimush and Mestthos Keltithleth, as well as to allow the miners to open up the narrow tunnels near the entrance a little. We don't have much time too waste.

Oh no, a rutherer corpse was spotted from the left slopes; a blind spot in our defences. I ordered the squads to circle back.

Too late! Blitzgamer, De, Bomrek Headexecutioner and three others rushed forward to creeping eye plateau, while the rest heeded the call and circled back around to deal with the rutherer corpse approaching from the left flank. Bomrek enters a martial trance and takes on a horde of the undead fiends all on his own.

Once the rutherer was dealt with, the rest of the squads save the Snarling Knives and the crossbow dwarves were given the green light to forge ahead to creeping eye plateau. The knives were stationed back to prevent any blind side attacks from our flanks. Our marksdwarves report that there are another two rutherer corpses approaching from the south.

14th Limestone
Creeping eye plateau was decimated utterly. Undead body parts littered the ground in abandon, as the squads trod over the remains, keeping an eye out for further undead threats. I gave orders to regroup and march down southwards to flank from behind the undead approaching us from the left side.

15th Limestone
The outpost liaison and carvan from Edandatan have arrived. Damn it, I don't need a diversion now. The scouts warn that one of the rutherer corpses is dangerously close now... and engagement!

The crossbowdwarves let loose a hail of bolts while Triaxx II and hammerlords Shorast and Thob beat the undead rutherer down. Kivish decides to ignore my orders and instead circles around with Erush in one arm and flanks the rutherer from behind.

Meanwhile, the other 3 squads have completed the circle around and come down on the rutherer from the left hill, meanwhile a magma crab appears from the trap area and proceeds to smack Adil around with a glob of magma, searing off his nose and parts of his upper body and face.

The hammer dwarves converge on the magma crabs position and smack it back, while more crabs emerge from the molten depths below.

Adil retreats to recuperate, trailing a long trail of blood behind him, while the hammer dwarves guard the vent. The rest of the melee troops have gone in deep.

17th Limestone
Zas Lisdonul, Teamster is taken by a fey mood and has taken over a mason workshop. Meanwhile, we have smoked Spugac Simo's undead corpse from the treetops and are engaging it in battle.

The undead forgotten beast is impressive in its efforts, soaking up wounds like a sponge, but ultimately it is futile and is buried under a hail of blows.

18th Limestone
Spugac Simo is dead (again),

but so it Adil Lokumistbar, Axedwarf whom bled to death on the surface before ever reaching the hospital for medical attention. R.I.P. Adil, you will be missed.

Meanwhile, taking advantage of the brief reprieve, the haulers quickly reclaimed the corpses of our citizens for burial.

22nd Limestone
The military went exploring the unrevealed southwest corner in full force. They came across numerous bugbat and hungryhead corpses, but nothing they couldn't handle.

Thob has grown attached to her silver war hammer, whilst vile mist fumes on the surface, swirling around for victims but ultimately impotent against the bulwark of our magma dikes.

23rd Limestone
The keen eyes and ears of Imic alerted us to a passage far above us.
Imic speculates that the echoes in that particular part of the caverns suggests that there is more space above. I surmise that it probably connects the second and 3rd caverns, no wonder there seemed to be less undead here in the 3rd than I remembered. They must have migrated upwards. I motioned for 2 squads to stay on alert below.

Besides that passage, everything seems clear in the 3rd caverns. Just a bunch of gorlak corpses behind passages sealed by trees left. I took the marksdwarves off stationing to help with the hauling. I also turned off the alert. Coast is clear. For now. But there is still the second cavern to tackle, and the worrying upper passage that links the 3rd cavern to the 2nd.

Meanwhile, Nujux bought out most of the caravan with our pricy prepared food courtesy of Blitzgamer. We procured steel, iron goods to melt down, more food cause why not, as well as bins of cloth.

26th Limestone
Zas Lisedonul has gathered everything he needed and is working furiously at a mysterious construction.
We now know a few facts about Giant hamster training. Also another Thob has started the naming train again, growing attached to a copper crossbow.

3rd Sandstone
Zas Lisedonul has created Kastolrukalonget, a rhyolite door!
The emancipated eerie turquoise sounds uncannily like the lake of evil we have here, but why emancipated? Unless...

My train of thought was broken by a reeking cloud of miasma that had arisen from the countless corpses we stood on. Copious amounts of miasma are rising from the corpses and its clouding everything over in a purple fog of disgustingness.

Well fuck you vile mist, we have plenty of miasma already, we don't need your damn husking mist now!

Mebzuth (successfully checked in to hospital), has been able to rest and recuperate.

7th Sandstone
We negotiated with the outpost liaison for large amounts of iron ore, charcoal, steel and iron supplies, some lye, flux stones and other stuff.

Of course, there is no news from the dwarves. Not that I expected any. I looked over the trade agreement, making note to procure these stocks next autumn.

Finally we bid Vucar farewell.

8th Sandstone
I know. Stop reminding me we have done nothing to attract migrants. I'm working on it!

13th Sandstone
We have begun logging operations in the third caverns. The Eternal Boulders are on standby below the yawning chasm that connects the third caverns to the second in case of any mishaps. Undead are continuing to spawn sporadically from the garbled mess of limbs and bodies that lay strewn all over the third caverns. We must stay alert lest any unforeseen troubles arise.

14th Sandstone
Spugac Simo's neck (why a neck of all things?) has resurrected and is causing trouble down in the breach. Thankfully the macedwarfs stationed there have got the situation covered.

19th Sandstone
The merchants from Edandatan have embarked on their long journey, and reports also say that a cloud of vile mist has drifted over the lake along with Crazy Urist has growing attached to a silver war hammer.

22nd Sandstone
Dumping corpses is a dangerous venture, especially dealing with the heavier corpses that are prone to kick up clouds of magma mist. I've taken the precaution to dump the heavier corpses first, while I oversee the operations personally in order to prevent magma accidents.

Meanwhile, I've designated more trees for felling. At this point, I couldn't care less about the agreement we made with the elves earlier this year. I needed to secure a cache of logs for all the effort we made to secure the caverns. We have been without a sizable amount of logs for years! Also the giant keas aren't giving us fertilized eggs, though the giant snapping turtles are. I wonder if one of the pair is sterile?

25th Sandstone
a cave-in occured due to tree logging. Nujux and Morgan were knocked unconsciousness by the impact of the cave-in. Thankfully they only suffered bruises, nothing serious. At the rate we are going, the elves will be mad with us next year for willfully breaking agreements, not that I care of course.

Its a flurry of activity down in the third caverns, with all the logging and hoarding of wood, as well as the hauling and incineration of offending corpses that have been down there for decades.

7th Timber
With the third caverns more or less secured, I turned my attention to other matters.
Like these adamantine deposits in the third caverns that we did not mine out in fear of breaching the caverns.

Why no of course not dear Taupe! Why would we be celebrating? There is lots more work to do! *quickly hides mug of dwarven wine*

9th Timber
Vesh Gedor has come! I've sent the Snarling Knives in as backup to the Eternal Boulders (which are currently stationed in the third caverns for occurrences just like this one).

OH GREAT. Werebear Wimad Palathxidel has come! Fuck you RNG! What is with this place and bears? The beast clambers over the black sand dunes just west to the trade depot entrance (which is conspiciously open because of trade) Damn it. No one nearby to reinforce. Oh wait, there's De melting stuff near the forges. Time to activate Asmoth's Amazons and the Cobalt Charms (this is the reason why you have many squads and not one).

De and administrator Fikod Nokimken whom had been conveniently nearby, rush to the defense of the fortress while a wolf attempts to hold off the Werebear.

Meanwhile, Vesh Gedor the Dust of Evil flys over our entire formation that are being hindered by the rock formations. The Dust of Evil lands smack dab in the middle of the group, right next to militia captain Tosid. Tosid kicks the Beast in the foot, before bashing the beast in the body with Mamotakir, plaitedreward her silver mace.

On the surface, De opens the fight with an explosive punch to the toe of the werebear, proceeding into a rapid combo with a shield bash with Mamotginet, plaitedcrews and a strike from her feather wood crutch. "I know Kisat Dur!", bellows De. She then dodges a charge and lays it in with a wild swing of her steel battle axe followed by a backhanded shield swipe for the follow through.

The Werebear falls over at the ferocity of the onslaught.

Fikod joins in the battle and lops off a leg with a swing of his steel battle axe. The Werebear is quickly overwhelmed, turning pale and shouting, "I've been injured badly. I cannot find hope."

Meanwhile, Vesh is getting beaten down badly by Tosid and the rest of the hammerdwarves, whom have yet to fully converge on its position.

The fight had devolved to a close in scuffle at that point, with lots of biting and punching going on.

On the surface, De dealt the killing blow to Wimad Diamondpoints the human werebear (well technically it wasn't, Wimad was bleeding out badly), with a shield bash.

Down below, Vesh Gedor was enraged at all enemies as the hammer and mace dwarves converged on its position.
It was badly beaten in everywhere, revealing the deadliness of a flurry of mace and hammmer blows by well versed dwarves. Eventually it succumbed to its wounds, as Thob dealt it its death blow with a well placed hammer strike to the skull, caving in its brain.

The beast keeled over and was no more.

"Is it dead?" Remarked one of the mace dwarves.

12th Timber
Deduk has grown attached to a silver mace, and has subsequently bestowed the name of Isanvagish upon it.

15th Timber
Aban Zikeldumat Tileshvetek Lid, one of our administrators has given birth to a girl, Zuglar Uristkalur.

We made some rather disturbing or should we say odd discoveries. One of which are these unusable slopes, sticking to the upper walls of the caverns. Taupe reassures me its just the remains of mushroom cap trees and is purely harmless. But I am not quite convinced, what if the damn thing falls over and destroys something? Then there is the... blood. Or rather... ah well see for yourself.

I mean I'm not sure what exactly that is, its just seeping out of the ground. Though I vaguely recalled some faint memories from the clan elders warning me of corruption by a certain mad dark or something. I thought that was bad enough but apparently there was worse out there.

The sheer redundancy is horrifying.

16th Timber
I've taken the advice of some of our associates and taken measures to seal of part of the caverns against future threats.
Elsewhere, the scouts have reported that a herd of one-humped camels wander the surface. A rare sighting of native wildlife! Let's hope the vile mist does not get to them.

18th Timber
The haulers report that we have managed to recover an adequate amount of adamantine into our stores.

Vesh Gedor's corpse is being hauled and dumped into the magma sea in order to prevent shenanigans like Spugac Simo's neck rising from the dead and bothering us again.

21st Timber
Crazy Urist has grown attached to a copper shield!

a day later, Imic has reported that octuplets have hatched! Giant snapping turtles! but alas, nothing from the giant keas. I'm pretty sure that we will not be getting Giant War Keas like some of us have so fervently wanted.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:15:34 pm by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 29, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »

Alright, this'll be a pretty boring turn. You won't get many images, but I'll try to fill you all in on what's happening. Fun fact: As this is my third turn, I have taken more turns at Murderflood than anywhere else.
 - A kobold showed up and Blitzgamer killed it.
 - I marked a shitload of corpses/bits for dumping. I've been using fastdwarf to get this done faster - otherwise it'll take until the end of time to clean up this cavern.
 - Elves arrived. I traded for another giant kea, a wolf, a giant peregrine falcon, and a grizzly bear. All male, unfortunately. I gave them a bunch of garbage in return.

AAAARGH FUCK ME SIDEWAYS IT ISN'T EVEN SLATE YET

EVERYONE GO KILL IT

Um. Wow. I haven't seen a titan get stomped that hard since my last adventure.

That's the whole combat.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:55:04 pm by TheFlame52 »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 83