Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212435 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #975 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:20 am »

Nujux, nooo! He was with us since the start! (well, not mentally, but...)
Sorry, I already used my one savescum this turn. I try to limit myself. Nujux died in that alternate universe, too.

The trap hallway was purposely left disconnected so the dwarves could remain safe while traps were lain.
I figured.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:24 pm »

I am going on vacation. See you all Tuesday.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »

Jesus, is the thread dead?
 - I have finally run out of brass bars. The tower is 17 levels high. I want to make it 25. I still have plenty of sphalerite, so we should be fine.
 - I tested the zombie trap and it worked. Many crundle zombies were killed.
 - A vile force of darkness was destroyed. More corpses to dump and junk to melt.
 - A dwarf fell several stories deconstructing a staircase and broke all her limbs. She is spamming the announcements because she can't put away her clothes.
 - Twenty more suits of armor are being made. We still haven't replaced all the junk armor.
 - A crab with poison gas attacked, but it was slain with none infected.
I really want to unleash hell on the zombies, but I know it's a bad idea. Maybe when we decide to end the fort.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #978 on: August 10, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »

Am I still alive?

Also, that well in my secret bunker is behind a fortification underwater. But stuff can swim through those, can't it?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 11, 2016, 03:23:48 pm »

Am I still alive?

Also, that well in my secret bunker is behind a fortification underwater. But stuff can swim through those, can't it?
You are still alive, but paralyzed. I think that happened my last turn when goblins shot back. Also, I drained the lake your well took water from, so the well is useless but secure.

- I forgot to mention this, but a kid made a blood thorn ring and became a legendary woodcrafter. It's awesome and covered in spikes. I feel like it would make a great magic item.
 - Two dwarves burned to death after using the magma dump over the dike. I am raising it to make it safer.
 - A dwarf made an artifact adamantine spear and became a legendary weaponsmith. It isn't fancy but it's worth serious ☼☼☼.
 - The Brass Tower is finished. 25 z-levels tall, over 3000 brass bars went into its construction. We ran out of - unbelievably - copper.
 - Steel production ceased briefly when we ran out of flux. This after I hollowed out a massive room of the stuff. We have 400 steel bars and counting.
 - Everything that needed to be dumped has been dumped. Everything that needed hauling has been hauled. We have idlers. I repeat, we have idlers.
 - The dwarven caravan visited, but it exploded before I could trade.
 - The duchess demanded a crystal glass window in her room, so I gave her one.

EDIT: I just autodump destroyed 3500 items. 'Skeleton' isn't even a word anymore, just a sound.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:51:44 pm by TheFlame52 »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 11, 2016, 04:33:05 pm »

Holy crap, idlers. Worse than clowns. Better fix that.

I have a megaproject of my own in mind for my turn, so if you've got dwarves doing nothing, could i get you to start mass producing blocks? Or bars... really anything I can use to build walls. I intend to build a lot of walls.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 11, 2016, 05:00:42 pm »

I just restarted military training, but sure. We have 1500 silver bars, but that's not very much in the grand scheme of things. I'll make you some blocks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:59 am »

Alright, year is finished. Not much more happened, except Zuglarkun got husked and swam across the channel. He's unreachable, so the military is shooting at him. But he's wearing steel armor, so it's just plinking off. I guess he's target practice.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12352

Things to do:
 - Attract the queen, maybe?
 - Clear the deceased list so we can get migrants again
 - Kill the zombies in the second cavern

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 14, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »

I downloaded the fort. A few OOC housekeeping issues before I actually start my turn proper...

1. The modifications are preventing the Starter Pack from updating the save to Phoebus. If I install it manually, I get graphics issues. So I have a few options:

* Play in ASCII. To be frank, with a fort of this age, I think I'd rather pull my teeth out with a pair of rusty toenail clippers.
* Play in Drunkovision Phoebus. Ugly as sin and causes all dwarves to look the same, but at least a little better than ASCII.
* Replace the raws. I understand we had baby snapping turtles and war giant kea's: I am not sure what effect this will have on them. Additionally, if we've made any other modifications, they'll get overwritten.

Alternatively, if anyone know's how to fix graphics issues without replacing the raws (I've tried only copying the "graphics" folder, but I still get Drunkovision Phoebus: there's *something* in the "raw/objects" folder that causes it, but I don't know what), I'm open to suggestions.

2. Apparently trying to build walls near the edge of the map in the caverns causes a crash. This is irritating, as completely walling off the area under the lake was one half of my Very Good Plan For Undead Prevention. (The other half was "fill it with magma", but I probably wouldn't have gotten that far)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #984 on: August 14, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »

You need to compare the saves raws with the raws of a normal game with phoebus installed.

Ill attempt that, but tommorrow
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 15, 2016, 04:04:51 am »

No worries, I KDiffed it.

Turns out Phoebus changes the TILE property of a whole bunch of creature's, plants and stones, so it was really just a matter of finding the changes that weren't Phoebus (really just the snapping turtles).

I have selected my dwarf...

... and I now be startin' me turn as overseer. It only be sense that I be selected: after all, who here be more knowledgeable about the running of forts beset by foul undead than I? I who wrote of Bonepillar, I who authored the book this very fortress was founded upon!

I, who brave the literary wastes every day, and who singlehandedly fights the terrible beasts that live within!!! Be there anything in a dwarven fortress that can contest with that?!

Nay, I say! Naught can faze one such as I, for I be... what the hell be ye up to with that silver?

Wh-... ye... why? WHY?! That makes no goddamn sense! Put that silver down now, ye moron! Argh!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:06:45 am by QuQuasar »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 15, 2016, 07:13:11 am »

Just say NO to tilesets. ASCII is bestCII.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 15, 2016, 03:42:08 pm »

Hey! We've got silver coming out of our assholes, I had to do something with it! Also you should probably chop down some trees, I turned our entire wood supply into steel. But by Armok, no soldier here will ever have to wear -copper low boots- again!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:28 am »

Yar! It be an eventful month!

I be coming to Murderflood a few years back now, after I heard the tales. Legends tell of a warrior fortress between evil waters and dark sand, where dwarven steel and magma hold the hordes of evil at bay. They say great spires of metal and stone rise from the shore, ruled by cactii, beset on all sides by vile mist husks, crundle zombies and bugs of love and good. There even be tales that the dwarves there would flood their entire fortress in magma rather than fall to their enemies, so as to burn by thee own hand, and face Armok with honour rather than face the shame of defeat!

If even a fraction of the stories be true, Murderflood's saga would make an excellent tale for me next book. I'e always preferred to be writin' true stories anyway.

And Aye, indeed, the place be impressive to behold! A great brass tower rises above a river of magma, and behind it tall spires and impregnable walls. But I quickly learned the tales were naught but tales. The great brass tower be a recent construction. The dwarves of Murderflood occupied themselves with training and hauling while letting weapon traps do the work of warriors. The Vile Mist from the lake be contained, staying to it's waters, far from us. And perhaps most damning of all, the plan to flood the fortress in magma be naught but the fabrications of fools and liars! The magma in the dikes around Murderflood be quiet, safe and contained: hardly a befitting namesake for a dwarven fortress!

But I had come this far, so I decided to at least stay for a few weeks. Weeks became months, months became years... and now they've made me overseer.

Yar, it be a good decision. I know what needs be done. The tales must be justified! And I shall author the greatest tale of a dwarven fortress ever told, and I shall tell it not in words but in action!

Ye know it to be true! Let this year be the year Murderflood became worthy of the name!

------

First things first: from now, the military are to work alongside the civilians. We have too much to do for half our dwarves to be wasting their time with training.

I took one look at the insanely complex chart of labors, cancelled them all, and streamlined them. Only essential labors be essential: everyone else is on construction and dumping.

Hmm... what be those three be doin' out there?

"I got 'im! I knocked 'is teeth out! 10 points! In your face!"

"Oi ye scallywags! Stop pissing off the immortal ragebeast and git yer asses inside!"

------

Alright, time to do what a dwarven fortress should've been doin' from the start. Ye there! Be openin' the trap corridor! Let's kill us some zombies!"

Hehe, lookit 'em come in and die. Again. Double die. Heh, this be fun, but it be time te' get te work. Someone close the gate and we'll clean out the trap corridor.

Hang on, what's that?

Oh, this be bad.

Risen! Risen ye idiot, come back! Wh'd ye go out there, there be zombies! Dammit, someone open the gate for the daft sod! Oh no, no... don't go out further into the caverns! Risen, ye fool!

What're ye tryin' to prove? Ye don't even have a weapon! The dead be closing in! Run, Risen, Run!

Oh no! There be a monster in the trap corridor! It must be the foul beast that drove Risen to flee into the caverns!

Risen ye're goin' to have to fight it! THIS BE YER MOMENT, RISEN! PROVE YERSELF WORTHY O' THE NAME "DWARF"! TAKE UP ARMS RISEN, TAKE UP A TITLE, AND DESTROY THE BEAST THAT PLAGUES YE!

Truly, it be a battle for the ages. Dwarf against Crundle Left Upper Arm. How could he maintain hope in the face of such insurmountable odds?

Yet somehow, Risen rose to the challenge, and prevailed against the beast. But then...

Bigod, another foul beast! Turn, Risen! TURN AND FIGHT, BRAVE WARRIOR!

A great hero has been born this day. Or possibly an idiot, it be a fine line. Now can we please be closin' the trap corridor and cleanin' it out? Thank ye!

------

Yar, that's our dump tower? It's got flippin' holes in it! What idiot thought that was a good idea?

One o' ye useless lubbers go and deconstruct those fortifications, right now. We'll replace them with walls so the magma mist can't be gettin' in.

------

Ye fools! I told ye to deconstruct the fortifications! Now someone's dead and it's all ye're fault!

Anyone know who it was? Nay? Oh well, I guess we'll know when they don't show up for dinner. I be cancelling that dump zone completely until those walls are built.

------

Wait, ye three still be out there? It's been a fortnight! Dammit, I told ye to get back in 'ere! What're ye doing? Why ye just be staring blankly at 'im like that?

Okay, this be kind of creepy. Seriously, you lot stop staring at Zuglarkun. Ye not be vile mist husks, stop pretending ye are.

This is strange. Be Zuglarkun... doin' something to them?

... I may have to be takin' drastic measures.

------

Elves. Well, I have no quarrel with them. I know some who do, but I've never really 'got' why exactly.

Besides, they be admirable animal trainers, and bring with them fearsome beasts, like this Double-Muskox:

A terrible beast. They also bring another grizzly bear. Nice of them to finally bring us a female to go with our 5 males! I'll have her pastured immediately.

The diplomat wants to talk about tree's. As always, Ilral hashes out an agreement. I doubt we will have much use for wood this year. I be havin' other plans.

-----

Okay, it's been the better part of a month, and those three fools still be out there. This not be right. This be something unnatural.

I won't be havin' them starve to death on my watch, or killed by goblins, or captured by the mists. Nay! We need to be rescuin' them. We need to destroy that what be havin' a hold on their mind.

We need to kill Zuglarkun.

Again.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:19 am »

Oh geez I'm dead again?

Must be karma for making fun of how we were safe from the vile mist.

Mind redorfing me as one of the newborns? Let's not name it Zuglarkun this time. Shipcat would suffice.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 83