Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212309 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #990 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:10 am »

Oh geez I'm dead again?
Yeah, I said so in my last update.

Quasar, loving the updates. Next time you open the trap, though, stick a squad in there and seal the inner airlock. It works just as well without the threat to the fort.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 17, 2016, 03:11:28 am »

Arright, time to be kickin’ some vile mist husk arse! I mean, not me personally, but the militia certainly. They seem keen.

'e's never been a pretty dwarf, but Zuglarkun certainly used to be better lookin' than this. Mate, ye need to be takin' better care o' yerself.

“Uh, overseer?”

Yar, what be the problem lad?

“Um... we worked out that the dwarf that got burned was Ablel Ozkaklitast, and...”

Ah, Ablel, I hardly knew ye. In fact, I don’t think I knew ye at all. Oh well, these things happen.”

“... err... and there’s a forgotten beast in the third caverns.”

“The caverns what be open? Those caverns?”

“Yes, overseer.”

“Aw crup! EVERYONE, CHANGE ‘O PLANS! TA’ THE THIRD CAVERNS!”

Hyahar! No beastie be gettin' into Murderflood on my wa-

Aw c'mon! Dammit, the militia be miles away, holding off the fireslug. Us civilians will have to handle this one.

Luckily, it's made of steam: a few good punches should drive the beastie off. We should be fine so long as it doesn't catch anyone napping...

... yar, saw that one coming the moment I said it. Oh god, that be Flame I, our weaponsmith! Wake up, Flame! Yer about to be sauna'd to death!!!

... she can't hear me, can she?

Oh. Uh... huh. It be just standing there, watchin' her while she sleeps. That be creepy but also kind of romantic, in a "sparkly vampire" kind of way.

What? I be an author, it be countin' as research. Don't judge me.

Is it waiting for her to wake up? What will happen when she...

Flame: "Oh. Uh... hi? You know what, I'm just... I'm going on break. Bye."

Flame: "Eww! Don't touch me, you're wet!"

Flame: "I'm leaving. Go away!"

Yar, that be the appropriate response. Those books would've been much better if the protagonist 'd done that when she woke up. She could learn a thing or two from Flame.

Taupe? Imic? Is the beast in position? Yar? Excellent.

KILL.

Giant War Kea's to the rescue!

Giant War Kea's are fucking useless!

And where be those grizzly bears I assigned to protect our most valuable dwarves? And will someone just punch the thing in the face until it's dead? Please?

Thank ye. Now, back to the fireslug situation.

------

Ye idiots ready? Ye better be, 'cos here it comes!

OPEN FIRE!

"Whoa. Did we get it? Wait, what's it doing..."

"It's gonna explode!"

BOOM

Most of the militia be thrown to safety by the explosion, but three dwarves were engulfed in the fireball: Thob the hammerdwarf, Thob the marskdwarf, and Obok, Thobs newborn baby. The only baby born this year, in fact: poor Obok had been born barely a month ago. I remember Thob telling me she'd been planning to name the young dwarf "Shipcat", or possibly "Zuglarkun V".

Well, I can at least say his mother faced her demise, as well as that of her child, with quite a bit of style.

I hope we can all be so composed and dignified as we burn to death slowly. An inspiration, to be sure.

Alright you lot, get back to the surface. Hurry yer slack arses. We be havin' a Zuglarkun to kill and a trio of the weak-willed to rescue...

------

Yar! Battle be joined! The militia's tactics be flawless: they commence the attack by knocking the copper crossbow from Zuglarkun's hand, and then disarming
him in an even more literal fashion.

With no arms left to attack with, it be just a matter of not getting bitten and hitting him until he stops moving. Some soldiers be a little overenthusiastic...

... but mostly the militia be actin' like professionals. The battle finally ends when one soldier tackles the husk to the ground. For a moment Zuglarkun's face twists into a look of surprise: perhaps it be a remnant of his original personality, or perhaps the intelligence that controls his corpse be genuinely surprised. Regardless, the swordsdwarf ignores it, raises her sword high, and cuts his head off at the base of the neck.

Propelled by the force of the blow, the ex-dwarf's head sails out into the middle of the lake with neck still attached, disturbing the still water with a splash.

All hail Asmoth, slayer of Zuglarkun!

After a moment, the three dwarves on the far bank came to their senses and began the trek home, while the militia piled back through the new tunnel.

Yar! An excellent result, what be leavin' absolutely no loose ends whatsoever.

Silently, the dwarven head settled into the darkness at the bottom of the lake. The weeds curled around it, embracing and caressing it.

Not. A. One.

Ye can all be gettin' back to work now.

------

OOC:

Zuglarkun: Since our youngest dwarf got incinerated, I've dwarfed Shipcat as the second youngest.

Flame: Yeah, I'm still working out how to use the trap corridor efficiently. I don't want to get anyone killed, but I don't have a chance in hell of getting my megaproject finished if I don't keep the militia working. A quandry, ye see.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:13:34 am by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 17, 2016, 12:11:33 pm »

Wait did we fucking lose TWO Zuglarkuns simultaneously?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 17, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »

Nah, there was only one Zuglarkun, it just got husked.

Also, my dwarf is awesome. Successfully fleeing from a goddamned titan. Quasar, could you please make it so my little tower by the forges doesn't have roof access any more?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 17, 2016, 03:47:14 pm »

Nah, there was only one Zuglarkun, it just got husked.

Also, my dwarf is awesome. Successfully fleeing from a goddamned titan. Quasar, could you please make it so my little tower by the forges doesn't have roof access any more?

but how are you going to point out to the roof access and say ''Look, that's where the monster I outran came from!'' ?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 17, 2016, 03:55:22 pm »

What? That was a titan. A winged titan made of steam. Yes I know it's not impressive, I just make the weapons, I don't wield them!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 18, 2016, 03:26:47 am »

Yar!

The trap corridor again be open. This time, I have informed the populace that the eloquently named "stay inside you fucks" burrow be active, and anyone caught outside will be keelhauled. Admittedly, I haven't yet worked out how I'm gonna haul someone across the keel o' a dwarven fortress widdout killin' em, but I'll find a way. It'll probably involve some sort of magma-proof cage.

The traps themselves be workin' as well as ever.

As ye can see, I've added me own improvements ta' the trap corridor. The shortcut tunnel will make cleanin' the corridor much quicker: just remember to close it when the trap be active! I also briefly tried using a dwarf as bait, but one dwarf doesn't really get the beasties moving the way an entire fortress does.

------

Idlers: 0

Construction continues on what I be confident will become me Magnus Opus. Even if it never be used, the monument I be authorin' in silver and copper be unequalled in all the
world. Hopefully we've got all our bad luck out early, so this year will be free of further interruptions, that we may-

"Overseer! Overseer!"

Yar, what now?

------

Dammit Zuglarkun, you've already come back from the dead as an unholy abomination of dark magic once. Doin' it twice be just showin' off!

Yar, a stalemate. Thar Zuglarkun's head be swimming, like some sort of albino aquatic mammal, using 'is neck like a fish tail, and the militia be all standing around waiting for 'im ta' come up on land
where they can fight 'im properly. I don't want anyone to fall in and drown in the lake ye see, for obvious reasons, so we be stuck.

Oh, hi Zas. What ye be up to'?

"Just going to bury Zuglarkun's body."

... yar, sure why not? Go on ahead. [snigger]

"AAAARGH! ZUGLARKUN YOU ASSHOLE!"

Heheh. Alright, fine. Everyone, go and kill 'im. If'n ye' fall in, try not to drown.

[two pages of combat reports later]

Well that looked to be tougher than expected. So... Zuglarkun be dead now? For good? None of the bits be fallin' in the lake again?

Yar, that be a relief. We can at last be puttin' this sorry tale behind us and gettin' back ta' the tasks at hand: continuin' me Magnum Opus, and cleanin' out the caverns.

Speaking of the caverns, these be all the undead that remain.

We be down to 25 undead, and the remainder be stayin' away from the trap corridor: mostly they be stuck up tree's and perched atop mushrooms. Only two of the beasts be promising much of a fight: the Draltha was a peaceful animal in life but big and dangerous in death, and of course Uquiresut, an enormous eyeless crocodile, promises a battle for the ages should we ever be able to coax it out of it's lake.

But that be irrelevant, at least for now. I be closin' off the caverns: perhaps I will be sparing the militia dwarves to clean them properly later. But for now, we
have more important things to concern ourselves with.

------

I watch Asmoth go past, solumnly carrying Zuglarkun's head to it's final resting place.

It be seeming appropriate that the one who put him down would also put him to his final rest.

------

I be no architect, nor engineer, but there be dwarves here who know their stuff. They tell me the project'll be sturdy.

The duchess's room, once accessible by the roof, has now been connected to the hospice. She was unimpressed with this decision, but after I explained the purpose of the
walls, she agreed that having an airtight entrance to her quarters was better than the alternative.

It be nearin' the end of spring. I'll be leavin' a sketch of progress to date at the end of this-

Arr fer FUCKS sake!

Thank ye!

Now can someone please explain to me what scurvy-infested lily-livered yellow-bellied mutinous dog-faced asshole thought building Zuglarkun's tomb under the lake waters be a good idea?!

------

[sigh]

Alright, here's the sketch I promised ye'. Presentin' the first 6 levels of the Murderflood Last Resort Cistern.

Made mostly of specially treated silver, it will be a dome-shaped structure designed to hold magma. Obviously I hope it may never be comin' to that, but should all be lost, should Murderflood fall and the suffering of the Dwarves be too great to survive... then a wave of magma pressurized by gravity will scour the fort clean. We will burn... all will burn... and I will have authored the greatest tale in all dwarven history. Aye! The great story of Murderflood will last forever, and we will be immortal within it.

Yar, Murderflood's ultimate fate shall be my masterpiece, if I can but finish the dome within the year...

... though obviously I have no intention of activating it. That would be bad.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 18, 2016, 08:43:34 am »

YOU ABSOLUTE DWARF

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 18, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »

What a magnificient project.

Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the actual fuck.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:18 pm »

That reminds me. What are the teamsters? Who made them? Where did they come from?

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 18, 2016, 12:59:20 pm »

It has been too long since I checked in. Now I'm in the militia, have killed things, and my son has grown up too? Can I get a look at my kills, what weapons I wield, and how my family is doing? Have I made anything besides amazing food?

Blitz log:
Been far too long since I've written one of these. Life continues here in murder flood, and with Collin farming now I have more time to cook and craft. It's nice being able to turn my son's hard work into something the entire fort can enjoy. Nice as well to have this candle I took from that theif. Kobolds are odd creatures, thinking nothing of taking from others, but with their own possessions it's always "you no take candle." Still, I'm glad militia work hasn't led to another injury. If I hurt my other arm I might not be able to forge anything, or even worse, lose the ability to finely mince. Where would this place be without my cooking keeping up morale? Now then, I better get back to the forge, my skills won't improve themselves.
End log.
Microline for everyone!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 19, 2016, 04:10:39 am »

Dammit.

Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit.

Save crashes when I load it for no discernable reason. It gets as far as "loading world information", then crashes.

I don't have any copies of it since the start of the year. Tried deleting the raws, tried reverting to ascii, nothing seems to get it working.

If I can get it working I'd love to continue my turn, but I won't be restarting the year. Took me too much effort to get 5 months in, I don't think I could do it again.

I am very very annoyed right now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:18:37 am by QuQuasar »

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:38 am »

Might it be worth uploading the save to see if it works on other people's computers? That would at least help narrow things down to either your DF installation or the save file itself being busted...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 19, 2016, 06:05:08 am »

Might it be worth uploading the save to see if it works on other people's computers? That would at least help narrow things down to either your DF installation or the save file itself being busted...
Certainly. If anyone can get it working I promise to spare them and at least some of their minions when I inevitably conquer the world.

Bugged save file is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12364. Still in Phoebus.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:07:46 am by QuQuasar »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 19, 2016, 07:41:53 am »

Certainly. If anyone can get it working I promise to spare them and at least some of their minions when I inevitably conquer the world.

Bugged save file is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12364. Still in Phoebus.

I've downloaded and checked the save.

Things I've tried:
- Removing the entire graphics folder, installing ASCII (no save game to update)
- Replacing the raws with the .orig files (original raws) in the same save folder
- Downloading the original raws from the first turn save and using those to replace the raws
- Updating to 42.06

Same problem on my end I'm afraid. I don't think its a problem on the user end, but rather that the save got corrupted somehow.

Dwarf fortress crashes on the "loading tracking information" part of the loading page.

Anyone have any ideas? Previous overseers?  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83