Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212330 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #1005 on: August 19, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »

Wait, did any eggs hatch before you lost the save? If so, it may be the result of a rare bug that claimed Bastiongate and a few other forts.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 19, 2016, 05:24:46 pm »

Wait, did any eggs hatch before you lost the save? If so, it may be the result of a rare bug that claimed Bastiongate and a few other forts.
Snapping turtles. A lot of snapping turtle's. It was about to become a plot point.

But I save and re-open a lot precisely because I'm paranoid about crashes (I just haven't seen them during loads before, so this one caught me completely by surprise), and they hatched at least a few saves before this happened.

I am so very annoyed about this, not just because of the work I put into the Dome, but also because the year was being amusing. A wren went mad and got wrestled into submission by the turtles...

A plague broke out amongst the baby turtles and then spread to the dwarven population...

And CrazyUrist lived up to his name, and tried to climb down the Dome rather than taking the stairs.

It went about as well as you'd expect.

And now shenanigans look to be about to wipe all that, as well as my Dome, from Murderflood history. Dammit! >:(

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:49 pm »

Yep, that's the bug alright. The only solution is to restore from a previous save. At least we have one less than a year old - Bastiongate had to be restored from a three-year-old save where the fort had been retired!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 19, 2016, 06:07:26 pm »

That's why I make a back up every season, instead of just the auto-save.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 19, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »

Well, blurp then. As I stated earlier, if I can't get it back, I'm forfeiting my turn.

Sorry guys, but it took me all my spare time this last week to do 5 months, and managing the construction of a 30x30 curved roof takes a lot of micromanagement: it's not like I can just set-and-forget it.

I don't really have it in me to start all over again. Ghills, you're up next.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 21, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »

Alrighty, downloading the save.

Fyi, my medical problems are ongoing, though we may be close to a diagnosis finally. I haven't been able to keep up with the thread and I'm not going to go back to reread, or take the time to write up stuff in character, but I will play as much as I can.

I'll also be installing a tileset if there isn't one already in the save, because heck no am I going to try and figure out this fort in ascii.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 21, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »

Aww dang. I was just about to go back on my forfeit and had started playing again. Couldn't stop thinking about the fort over the weekend.

If you've already started, Ghills, feel free to ignore this, but I wouldn't mind taking another crack at it.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 21, 2016, 07:07:16 pm »

Aww dang. I was just about to go back on my forfeit and had started playing again. Couldn't stop thinking about the fort over the weekend.

If you've already started, Ghills, feel free to ignore this, but I wouldn't mind taking another crack at it.

Great!  You go right ahead.  I hadn't gotten downloading anyway. I think i'm the last person on the turn list, and i'm ok with you gettting a do-over because of the save bug.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 21, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »

Great!  You go right ahead.  I hadn't gotten downloading anyway. I think i'm the last person on the turn list, and i'm ok with you gettting a do-over because of the save bug.

Thank you! I promise to build the best enormous, fortress-killing death trap I possibly can for you to enjoy.

Okay then, here we go. The new year won't be much different from old year, but it will certainly be more efficient: I know to free the barracks and archery targets, rework the labors, use burrows to keep Risen indoors when I open the trap corridor, deactivate the Dump Tower of Dwarf Melting, order the construction of glass corkscrews, designate the first 4 floors of the Murderflood Last Resort Cistern, and most importantly DECONSTRUCT THE NEST BOXES before I unpause.

So I won't be making the same mistakes as last time. I'll be making brand new mistakes!

To try and speed through the early month's I'll stay OOC unless things get interesting, and just report when things differ from last time.

Early changes:

* Shipcat (aka. "Zuglarkun 5", previously "Obok the Flammable, son of Thob the Equally Flammable") was born in the first few days of spring, same as last time, but as a girl and with a different birth name. I believe they were male last time, so I guess dwarven gender is chosen at birth. I'll do my best to keep this incarnation away from any open flames (cue drowning).

* Zuglarkun IV (aka. Zuglarkun the vile mist husk, aka. Zuglarkun the Aquatic Head, aka. Zuglarkun the Oh God Why Won't You Just Stay Down You Fucker) didn't manage to hypnotise any of the marksdwarves this time around, so I guess that means I don't need to kill him. I wonder if you can cage husked dwarves? If so, maybe an homage to Breadbowl is in order...

* I'm paying a bit more attention to the materials used in the MLRC's construction. Last time I built the lower levels out of the nearby rock blocks: this time I'll save the blocks for scaffolding and build the entire thing out of silver, with a band of Lead at the base.

By the way: if anyone's got any good names for the MLRC, let me know. I personally quite like the understatement that "MLRC" represents, but I'm open to something sillier (eg. "Doom Overflow Magma Emitter"). Or we could just call it "The Dome" (apply capitalisation and reverb to taste).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:53:23 pm by QuQuasar »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 22, 2016, 02:27:48 am »

Thank you! I promise to build the best enormous, fortress-killing death trap I possibly can for you to enjoy.

This is good to hear. Glad that the untimely crash did not entirely curb your enthusiasm for even more wanton shenanigans. Looking forward to your updates!

P.S. personally I would name it The Murder Dome. But that's just my opinion.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 22, 2016, 04:21:38 am »

The beasts arrived on cue. Not the same beasts admittedly, but on 28/1 a forgotten beast appeared in the 3rd cavern layer and a titan (sorta) appeared nearly-simultaneously on the surface.

This time, however, the militia somehow knew to split up. Asmoth's Amazons and the Knights of Cactus took the forgotten beast, while The Snarling Knives, The Cobolt Charms, The Eternal Boulders and The Empty Quivers headed out front to tackle the Hydra.

Things went astonishingly poorly for both beasts.

We also found an elf in the trap corridor. She explained that she was just "admiring our craftsdwarfship". Well, fair enough. There be a lot of craftsdwarfship to be admirin' in that corridor.

Yar, Gwolfsky came ta' me to tell me Zuglarkun's been gettin' overly romantic. The Vile Mist Husk be seranading him from beneath his window. It's been keepin' 'im awake.

So, we took steps...

The militia stood by by just in case some part of 'im remembered how our traps worked, or otherwise be more intelligent than 'e looked, but we needn't have worried. Ol' Zugly just walked straight into the trap like a dumbass.

So now we be having a fancy new piece of entertainment for the dinin' hall.

Yar, It be 3 months in, an' the Murderflood Last Resort cistern be takin' shape ahead of schedule.

The magma pump tower... not so much. I be an idiot, an' I forgot to expand the burrow into the space above the tower, so it's behind. But we still have 9 months left in the year! My magnum opus will be completed!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:23:09 pm by QuQuasar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 22, 2016, 07:12:57 am »

Remember to make backups. Also, stick that guy professioned Trouble down next to Zuglarkun to give him some company.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 22, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

Nice updates! Glad to see we've made significant progress, especially in the caverns. I've been following the thread regularly, just haven't been able to make myself comment anything meaningful recently. I'd like to take yet another turn, but I fear I won't have enough time for anything nice in the following months. I'm supposed to start working on my thesis which has been a giant boulder on my shoulders for some time already..

I'm a bit curious about that egg hatching/save corruption bug. Do we know what causes it and how preventable it is?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 22, 2016, 09:09:42 am »

Something about newly hatched creatures corrupting the tracking system. I don't know how to prevent it.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 23, 2016, 04:26:37 am »

The beasties not be enterin’ the trap corridor anymore, an’ there still be a full contingent of 60 or more undead in the caverns, includin’ two Draltha’s and a Forgotten beast.

Well, I never much liked the way we be hidin’ behind weapon traps anyways. Yar! We be dwarves! We should be killin’ our enemies face ta’ face, to die with honour or come back with a tale of heroism to be written in the books by folk like me and told throughout the ages.

So that’s what we be doin’. To the caverns!

Me intrepid crew be jumped by a hungry head the moment they arrived, but Asmoth knocked it’s teeth out. The chitterin’ an' moans closin’ in from the darkness promised plenty of action, and before long they were beset on all sides.

But hungry heads and crundles be far from the worst creatures what be awaitin' in the dark, and as they advanced slowly a large, rotting monster lumbered out. Once a peaceful herbivore, now crazed with unnatural hunger, the Draltha let out a roar and charged. The crew drew together and surrounded the beast as it kicked, reared and swung it’s big head around, trying to use it’s size and weight against them.

Luckily for the military dwarves, the beasts size made it slow and ponderous. Aside from a lucky kick which left a minor bruise, the beast was unable to harm any of them. But they were equally unable to harm it, their blows unnoticed by the unfeeling abomination, and so the battle raged on and on until Haerdalas finally saw an opening, and the creature’s head came away from its body.

The beast was down, but the fight wasn’t over: the commotion had drawn a crowd of smaller monsters from all directions. But by this stage, the crew was tirin'. It was only a matter of time before the first casualty, and sure enough, Deduk the Titanslayer was promptly brought low by a Reacher’s long, thin arms.

Far worse was what happened moments later. Urist McKiwi, Knight of Cactus was dragged to the ground and savagely mauled by a terrifying cavern beast. Ye thought the Draltha was bad? It be nothin’ compared to the unmitigated horror... of Disembodied Crundle Head.

McKiwi's tortured screaming could be heard even from the surface as the terrible creature took it's pound of flesh.

Luckily for both dwarves, their crewmates be alongside them. The beasts were dealt with decisively and I 'ad the burrow widened just enough for a few civilians to be gettin' into the caverns to recover them, while the rest of the militia be stayin' on guard against the possibility of more undead abominations.

All in all, it be a successful expedition. More than 40 zombies were deanimated (although I expect one or two will be comin’ back), at the cost of two dwarves hospitalised. One more expedition and we should be able to return these caverns to dwarven hands: aye’ll be leavin’ that for later in the year in order to return the fortresses focus to my masterpiece.

Thob Lokumbomrek took strange and made this.

For some reason I thought it odd he be alive and not on fire, but in hindsight that be understandable: my desire to finish my magnum opus and author the greatest conclusion to a dwarven saga in all history be always at the forefront of me mind.

Gwolfsky threw a house party for 'imself.

The humans arrived. I told Edzul ta be buyin' bars and blocks. They also threw in a couple barrels of rum, which was nice of 'em. They would have happily taken a lot less in the way of crafts, but we've got too much of this stuff as it is.

The human lawgiver was adequately awed by me Magnum Opus, and wanted a closer look.

Eri: "It's very impressive, but if you'll forgive my concern, isn't such an undertaking dangerous? The workers are very high up,  and they don't seem to have harnesses, or other safety equipment ."

Quasar: "Oh, don't worry about that. We dwarves have a natural sense of balance."

Asmoth: "SshhhhiiiIIIIII-"

[SMACK]

Quasar: "See that there? Falling 11 stories like that? That hardly ever happens."

Eri: "Good heavens! Is she okay?"

Quasar: "She's swearing, ain't she? She'll be fine."

Asmoth: "Fuuucccckkkk... yooouuuu...."

Eri: "Okay, well I suppose I understand. But... why? Why build such a grand, empty dome of precious metal?"

Quasar: "Oh sorry, I thought that be obvious. Ye see, we build it so that we can fill it with magma, and then unleash the magma in a tidal wave of fire and death, so the dwarves of Murderflood can burn eternally in Armok's blood rather than die with dishonour."

[silence]

Eri: "... okay then! I'll be leaving now!"

Yar, it be nearin' the fifth month of the year. My magnum opus shines like a beacon in the summer sunlight, and the magma tower be catching up.

For aesthetic purposes, I've decided to put a band of copper on the 11th level. Treated with the same coating as the silver, I'm told it should be quite magma proof.

The seasons march onwards, and we must be marchin with them, lest we...  something...  Can't quite remember the quote. Yar, nevermind. I'll fill it in in editing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:16:25 am by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83