Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should my previous mod Sage vs. Sodom be combined with this one?

Yes!
- 1 (14.3%)
NO!
- 4 (57.1%)
Use the Sage vs. Sodom civilizations, but with beastfolk (dirty humanthings must die!)
- 1 (14.3%)
Merge a less silly version of Sage vs. Sodom with this mod
- 1 (14.3%)
Merge a more silly version of Sage vs. Sodom with this mod
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Of MultiBeasts and Renassance: Playable Beastfolk with Late Medieval Equipment  (Read 18660 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Of MultiBeasts and Renassance: Playable Beastfolk with Late Medieval Equipment

A mod inspired by the freeware game Anamnesis, of Renascents and Monsters!
My FUMBBL Chaos team in this League on these forums is also an inspiration.

It combines some existing mods that I felt would combine into an interesting atmosphere, essentially beastfolk in Late Medieval armor.  Plus I added a primitive firearm, the Handcannon, that can be purchased from Human/Goblin traders (or stripped off their corpses, although that is not a reliable source of ammo).  It seems to work like I would want: Hard to aim, but causes serious damage when it hits.

Those mods are:
Grimlocke's Historic Arms for the equipment
Bountiful Beastfolk for the beastfolk
A Dark Ages mod that I can't find a link for, which I needed mainly to allow resizing of equipment.  It's downright mandatory with all these different sized beastfolk running around.  Trust me, Moosemen and Keamen can't wear the same stuff otherwise, and neither can wear dwarf sized equipment.  FINALLY BACK IN!

Spoilered probably not in current version, but credits remain in case I'm wrong/it get re-implemented
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Download Here!

The mod is mostly complete but needs playtesting.  You can play a Sperm Whale adventurer, harvest trees and ore as a hamsterfolk fortress, and appoint your brokers, bookkeepers, and other civilian governmental positions.  Let me know if something you would expect from playing dwarfs isn't possible, and I'll see what is wrong.

Goal: Divide beastfolk between small beastfolk and regular sized, and remove weapons from the smaller beastfolk they can't use. In progress.
Modify Dwarven Justice so always applies to "Civilized" beastfolk and rarely applies to "Barbaric" Beastfolk.  Progress unknown.

Make certain to embark with Hatchets and Spades (found under Weapons and Digging respectively), as many beastfolk are too small to use Axes and Picks, and you really can't tell until they stand there doing nothing.

Beastfolk are the average of their previous size and 70000.  Hamsters are a puny size 150, so they can use equipment up to size 35075.
Hamster and other small beastfolk can use (although individuals vary):
All beastfolk should be able to use Handcannons, if you can find some humans/goblins that will trade with you.  For those that want to train up, the Handcannon uses the blowgun skill, since you could theoretically fire a lead ball from a blowgun.  Plus blowguns blow, unlike bows and crossbows.

Update .91A: Finally re implemented the armor resizing feature for adventurers. Adventurers need a tanned hide (leather) and the armor to resize, can get tanned hide from butchering an animal and tanning the hide.

Update .91: Beastfolk Unleashed!
Sometimes, instead of a demon taking over a goblin civilization after rising to the surface, it liberates/enslaves a band of subterranean animal people from the caverns on his way to the surface as loyal minions.

Made Legged beastfolk Mundane if their default animal type was mundane.
Logic: Beastfolk are as common in this mod as humans, and are thus the same, except those exotic beastfolk, of course, sort of like how humans are mundane but dwarves are not.
Honestly, I just like to see the ages change.
They also don't get a free pass on swimming any more: They need to learn like everyone else. They're truly mundane!

Standard entities are have been restored to Grim's History upgrade.
Both Picks and Spades are digging implements, so Play Now should allow Beastfolk to start with either.
Beastfolk can now enter Strange Moods!

Update .90: Fixed some beastfolk not having footwear and restored native civilizations

Update .89: Fixed Hippo-Folk and one other so they're now playable again.  Fixed Aquatic folk so they can all live on land again.

Update .88: Re-enabled copper and bronze weapons/armor and silver weapons. Added Lead as ammo. Player fortress can now purchase an early firearm - The Handcannon - from Humans or Goblins, depending on whether Player fortress can trade with them (the hostile faction will "deliver" handcannons to the player, I'm sure)

Update for .74: Updated to latest version (44.12) of Dwarf Fortress.  May have lost a couple of things in the update.

Older Updates:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After some playtesting, I found that my force anvil reaction wasn't working.  For those who never modified their games to play as humans, the "mandatory steel anvil if no iron" only works for dwarves.  So I released version .66, which is essentially a bugfix.

Version .66 forces all playable civs to have access to steel, which *should* allow them to have anvils.  Testing is needed
Also, my combination of mods to make this inadvertently removed the steel making process, so I reinstalled the native steel making processes.

Nothing new to play with, but at least it should all be playable now.  No more switching to Adventure mod to steal an anvil (which is how I always resolved the no-anvil bug, he he he).

EDIT: It Works, It Works!  But, it unfortunately has no impact on old saves due to affecting civs when created, so new worlds are advised (or just engage in wholesale Anvil Stealing like the old days, it's your game).

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile

Hi, while I do enjoy this, I find that my playthrough that my beavers are.. oddly slow. Is this a feature, or a bug?
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, while I do enjoy this, I find that my playthrough that my beavers are.. oddly slow. Is this a feature, or a bug?

It would be a bug.  I noticed similar behavior with Sasquatches.  But they moved at normal rates as adventurers, so I am a little dumbfounded on this.  I'll look into it, and if anybody has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help.

IDEA: Beavers have the token [MEANDERER], which gives random movement.  Do the beavers travel in a straight line?
EUREKA!  Sasquatches have the same token!  And of course, this would have no effect on player-controlled Adventurers.  On a hunch, I will try removing this tag from these creatures and see if they help.

Ok, I've removed the tag from Yetis, Sasquatches, and Beavers.  I will add a poll as to whether to hunt and destroy this tag further, or allow it as giving character to some unknown creatures.  I can always add it if players want a less efficient fortress.

Have anyone encountered flying beastfolk (birdfolk, mostly) in a Siege?  Ambush?  How did it go?  I know flying beastfolk are nearly impossible to kill if they do not engage the Fortress Inhabitants, but the behavior is aggressive in both those scenarios.

Catfishboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cant get working military with my rattlesnake men is this normal

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cant get working military with my rattlesnake men is this normal

It probably means that I missed giving an entity a military leader.  I'll track down the problem and prepare a hotfix.

Any idea who your enemies are?  That might hint as to which rattlesnake men are defective (there are about 4 types, a problem I should probably fix).
Nevermind, I found the problem.  Some of the more elf-like civilizations don't have a military leader appointed by the Expedition Leader, so no military.  Fixing now. Fixed, update in top post.  As a "bonus", every civ should now be able to forge basic armor.

And to resolve the [MEANDERER] issue temporarily, the new version includes the patch to remove [MEANDERER] from Yetis, Sasquatches, and Beavers.  If anyone wants me to root through all the files and strip this trait from all beastfolk, please let me know in this topic or by PM.

EDIT: Added an Extra Special Bonus Surprise - Thing from the Deep.  Good thing I fixed the military bug first!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Observation: Birdfolk don't work in underground fortresses, although they dig just fine.  However, they seem to be fine in above-ground fortresses.  Maybe they'd be even more reliable in fortresses that lack surrounding trees or that rise above the trees.

Catfishboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I like seizing stuff from so many caravans, I can't escape fortress lag death as they all arrive at the same time. Still had lots of fun shooting wagon after wagon in slow-motion with my ballistas.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I like seizing stuff from so many caravans, I can't escape fortress lag death as they all arrive at the same time. Still had lots of fun shooting wagon after wagon in slow-motion with my ballistas.

I was wondering if anyone else thought every wagon showing up every season was excessive.  Your comment will make my newest change easier: Bi-yearly activity.  It is better than native, but actually lets you have time to make stuff between caravans. 
And invasions, because they have the same schedule.

Some will be on a winter-summer schedule, others will be on a spring-fall schedule.  Still no guarantee that all the civilizations active in your game won't converge on one schedule.

Done and updated.  I can also tell whether the civs in your game are evil or not (evil have [BABYSNATCHER], and I think that is the only difference).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New Update: All beastfolk now have armor.  Previously, I followed the "advice" of the wiki and left many entities with armor that lacked rarity tags.  But the wiki was wrong: That just made them not have armor.  Fixed both the wiki and this mod so every entity has some sort of armor.  Emphasis on torso and head protection to help with that not-dying thing.

Because of the vast amounts of armor/clothing that I had to assign, variance between civilization types is not what I would like. 
EDIT: But I added some hats, and I'm much happier. END EDIT.

However, I heavily used the "UNCOMMON" rarity, which means most armor/clothing should be very hit-or-miss, and should vary based upon civilization type.  Note that each civilization type will have the same armor/clothing, hence my comment on variance between worlds.

For those who do not know, the beastfolk civilization types are separated by biome and evil/not-evil...generally.  I've also added a couple of more customized civilization types.

In case that is confusing:
Sperm Whale Men are Aquatic.  They can either be evil or not-evil.
Octopus Men are Aquatic.  They can also be either evil or not-evil.

If you play as Sperm Whale Men, and they are not hostile to Octopus Men (that is how you know they're both evil or not-evil), then they are the same civilization type.  If Sperm Whale Men are generated with the ability to make Partial Plate, then so will Octopus Men.  Neither have shoes (most aquaticfolk don't have feet, so their entities do not have footwear).

Those two are easy.  Hamsters live everywhere, so your Hamster may be the Taiga Hamsters or the Desert Hamsters, or...
And if your world has two Hamsterfolk civilizations, they may not most likely are not the same biome civilization type.
EDIT: But the Taiga Hamsters should have Scarfes and the Desert Hamsters have Turbans.  Eh, it's something.

Catfishboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My eaglemen embarked with their feet uncovered
Preparing carefully with them, I could embark with a whole bunch of gremlins since they only cost 1 point
I embarked with large bobcat kittens and eagle chicks
The craftsdwarf workshop is called the craftsman workshop and i can't make large rock pots from it
Edit: Also can't make wooden wheelbarrow from carpenter's workshop
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:43:47 pm by Catfishboss »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eaglemen are non-evil Mountainfolk, a specifically rare and unique type of beastfolk.  Non-evil tag removed as no evil equivalent exists.

Mountainfolk do not have much in the way of civilian clothing, instead relying upon armor.  That is actually an intended feature.

Gremlins have always been only 1 point.  Fun fact: In Adventure mode, you can give weapons to gremlins.  I've decided to keep this in as a feature.  They can't be trained for war, so it isn't a huge exploit.  I'm not even sure if you can butcher gremlins.

I'll look into the large rock pots and wooden wheelbarrows and release a fix once I pin down the problem.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My eaglemen embarked with their feet uncovered
Preparing carefully with them, I could embark with a whole bunch of gremlins since they only cost 1 point
I embarked with large bobcat kittens and eagle chicks
The craftsdwarf workshop is called the craftsman workshop and i can't make large rock pots from it
Edit: Also can't make wooden wheelbarrow from carpenter's workshop

Ok, I found the problem.  It was a colossal bug on my part: I had omitted all tools from most beastfolk.

I have uploaded a new version that will allow all beastfolk to create all tools, such as wheelbarrows, stone pots, minecarts, etc.

Thanks Catfishboss for bring this to my attention.  I rarely craft any of those things, so it would have taken me a long time to see the bug.  But now that you mention those items, I will probably use stone pots and wheelbarrows in my games, as they seem quite useful.

Catfishboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like your mod
I re downloaded and my bushmaster men can make rock pots and wooden wheelbarrows that's awesome
I just found out they can't make menacing wooden spikes, spiked wooden balls or enormous wooden corks from the carpenter's workshop
Missing link with trap components?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like your mod
I re downloaded and my bushmaster men can make rock pots and wooden wheelbarrows that's awesome
I just found out they can't make menacing wooden spikes, spiked wooden balls or enormous wooden corks from the carpenter's workshop
Missing link with trap components?

Probably, I'll have an update in an hour.
EDIT: Fixed, and thank you for pointing it out.  Turns out there were also missing instruments and toys but more importantly missing ballista ammo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4