Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should my previous mod Sage vs. Sodom be combined with this one?

Yes!
- 1 (14.3%)
NO!
- 4 (57.1%)
Use the Sage vs. Sodom civilizations, but with beastfolk (dirty humanthings must die!)
- 1 (14.3%)
Merge a less silly version of Sage vs. Sodom with this mod
- 1 (14.3%)
Merge a more silly version of Sage vs. Sodom with this mod
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Of MultiBeasts and Renassance: Playable Beastfolk with Late Medieval Equipment  (Read 18663 times)

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for your interest.  However, this mod hasn't been updated to the newest version, so that would probably be the main restraint.

As for a graphics pack, it would probably be ok, as most beastfolk already exist in some form.  This mod mostly just gives those beastfolk a civilization.  The equipment mod may vary somewhat, but I just ported that from the original weapon&armor mod creator.

Ahh. Which version is it compatible with? And is there any likelyhood of an update in the near future?

And sorry if this is a really basic question, but would I just install this mod normally, and then paste e.g. Phoebus over the top? It's just doing that it wants to overwrite the raw/objects/creature_reptiles/amphibians/etc files which I thought sounded like they might be affected by the mod! (the only other stuff affected are the language, plant and stone files from the same folder which I assume shouldn't make a difference!)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Should be compatible for DF 0.40.24.

Anything in the:
raw/objects
file is fine, as you're basically overwriting no-graphics with graphics.

All my mod changes are in:
raw/objects

As for updating...
Well, you see, I wasn't working much when I made this mod, and now I'm working a lot more, so it is unlikely that an update will occur anytime soon.  I'm not even sure what needs updating.

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anything in the:
raw/objects
file is fine, as you're basically overwriting no-graphics with graphics.

All my mod changes are in:
raw/objects
Sorry, am I being thick or have you made like a typo here? Overwriting raw/objects is fine but all your changes are in raw/objects??

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not even sure what needs updating.

Compare the 0.40.24 raw folder and subfolders with the current release using WinMerge. It clearly shows every change made to the RAW files between those releases and, by extension, everything you need to tweak in your mod to bring it up to speed.

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way of making Dwarf Therapist work with the mod? Using either v31 or v32, both of which should be compatible with 40.24, and Therapist crashes whenever it tries to read the 'dwarves'.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In process of trying to update to latest version.  Wish me luck!

EDIT: IT'S ALIVE, BWAH HA HA!
Ahem, expect a partly complete update tonight.
EDIT2: And updated.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have now completed my last major upgrade to the mod: Allowing the player to purchase primitive firearms for their fort.

Why purchase?  Because I can't stand bone/wood ammo for firearms, and that's what you get with the easiest methods of making firearms playable.  Other methods, such as using custom reactions and so for, tend to keep anyone from actually using the firearms.  So only allowing firearms to be purchased, and not manufactured, seems the most elegant solution.  Two added bonuses: It makes Humans and Goblins relevant again, and it limits these highly advanced weapons.

But I wanted primitive firearms to be in the mod, as it didn't seem right without them.

I'm sort of out of ideas at this point: If anyone has something they think would fit and would like, please let me know.  I still have some things to fix that were in the older version but didn't get ported, hence the .88 version number.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I've tested things a bit.

Let's see: Hamsterfolk fort increased to 51 Hamsterfolk, then died to Moosemen.  Working as intended.

One thing I've discovered is that it is random what weapons a particular civilization possesses.  I thought that my neighboring humans not having Handcannons to trade was some sort of bug, but it appears they only know how to make crossbows.  I found another human civilization that has Handcannons.  I guess starting as an Human/Goblin adventurer before settling down would be the best bet, just to make sure you can trade for these advanced weapons.

Also made Hippomen playable again, trying to find something else to fix before releasing the update, unless somebody really wants Hippo Men for some reason.

Xdog2002

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The king of cows... also hates farmers
    • View Profile

So I'm playing a snapping turtle man in adventure mode, and as I'm exploring I find what appears to be a civilization of orca-men, who when loaded start drowning. Because of this I find houses full of dead orca-men, I also think this applies to most whale-men because I also met dead Sperm whale-men.

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm playing a snapping turtle man in adventure mode, and as I'm exploring I find what appears to be a civilization of orca-men, who when loaded start drowning. Because of this I find houses full of dead orca-men, I also think this applies to most whale-men because I also met dead Sperm whale-men.
I remember finding the same problem with Squid-men, Octopus-men, etc in a much earlier version. Assume the issue is that underwater civilisations aren't supported in the code, but none of these creatures can breathe out of the water. I guess the fix is just to make them amphibious?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember finding the same problem with Squid-men, Octopus-men, etc in a much earlier version. Assume the issue is that underwater civilisations aren't supported in the code, but none of these creatures can breathe out of the water. I guess the fix is just to make them amphibious?

Thanks, I knew I forgot some stuff in the conversion.  I mainly focused on the entity files to get a playable, compatible version in one night.  I think I fixed it before, so I should be able to fix it again.

...Until then, feel free to enjoy looting the dead seafolk villages.  Octopus-men should be the most profitable, as they should drop 16 gloves upon death.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, its fixed again.  Narwhal Men can resume terrorizing helpless adventurers (one of their recruits clobbered my Human Outsider in playtesting, which isn't surprising when you see what is a Narwhal).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I'm excited about this newest update, the humble .91 version, which I nickname Beastfolk Unleashed!

It allows non-playable beastfolk to establish Dark Fortresses, with all the FUN that entails.  They should work the same as goblins.  I used subterranean animal people, as it seems to make sense and is cool.

Legged beastfolk are now better than ever: They're mundane, so if they overwhelm everyone else then you can see cool Age changes.  They can enter into strange moods (why didn't I fix that before?!)  They can learn to swim.

For those who are less eager about all that, I also fixed up the standard civilizations to use the Late Medieval equipment and trade you Spades, and made Spades more user-friendly.
Also, if you select Play Now! then you should have a minimum 25% to maximium 100%, depending on whether I coded that civ to also have Picks.  Better than the 0% chance previously...

EDIT: And I also finally got the armor resize back into the mod.  A major component to making Adventurer mode easier, especially in larger worlds.
The "A" in version .91A is for Armor.  Finally, you can use some other beastfolk's armor in adventure mode.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm reviewing my old mod Sage vs. Sodom, and thinking about how the game that inspired this one featured more humans than might be in this mod.  One of the goals of that former mod was to make all races human.  That might mesh with this mod, although it might also dilute the original idea.

I'll just run a poll, then turn around and do whatever I want.  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]