Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?  (Read 14760 times)

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »

There is always a grand vision:

An elaborate catacomb adorned tastefully arranged, intricately carved, and appropriately themed statues.
Carefully constructed memorial slabs that celebrate each individual, and their contributions to dorf society.
A place of respect, and reverence, such that every dorf may find solace knowing that their struggles will be immortalized, that posterity will strive to live up to their example.

What happens?

A crappy box hastily shoved someplace.
RIP ..  uhhhh  ... that one dorf.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »

Or, the Doomforests model...

"HOLY BABY ARMOK ON CRUTCHES, WHY IS EVERY HALL FILLED WITH BODIES AND MIASMA?!?"
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »

Although I occasionally establish a grand mausoleum for my Dwarves, most of the time it ends up as you describe.  I remember one Fortress in particular, roughly 1/2 the area was cut off due to FB syndrome and necromancer, so I had coffins lining my dining hall.  Every Dwarf was given a coffin for their room, b/c I needed the hallways clear.  So long as the corpse is not exposed, nobody minded being around coffins all day long.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:34:25 pm »

Every Dwarf was given a coffin for their room

Those are really nice decorations.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »

Well... they really are. Placing them in the dining room for example gives dwarves happy thoughts from "a tastefully arranged burial receptacle."
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »

I usually dig 5x5 rooms filled with coffins and make grid out of them. If somebody becomes ghost, I turn one of those 5x5 rooms into memorial hall for them. It's simple, yet tasteful.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:39 am »

I almost always make a separate catacomb level, sealable from invaders. Toppling coffins is too much danger. Plus I like to immortalize my dwarves :) Most of the time, the walls are smoothed and carved.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:37:55 am »

I almost always have some grand plan for a crypt.

Invariably someone will die before its even remotely ready, usually in some inconvenient spot where they horrify half the fortress.

The first corpse cant wait, I tend to stash it somewhere ASAP.  Usually I'll convert the manager's office into a shrine to my "first fallen" since by this point its probably dug and at least reasonably well located.  Quick and shoddy coffin, then pimp the room out a bit.

Having ruined my grand crypt plan with this first death I usually give up and stack the dead like firewood.  Slap a bunch of wooden coffins into dug-out ore veins and wall them off.

Guilty?  Not really, after so many years torturingraising dwarves, I, like so many of them, have become accustomed to death.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:21:44 am »

Well... they really are. Placing them in the dining room for example gives dwarves happy thoughts from "a tastefully arranged burial receptacle."
Took the words out of my mouth. My crypt IS my dining hall. Dwarves come in, have a lavish meal, enjoy the variety of tasteful furniture, go out to work again.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 07:09:51 am »

What happens?

A crappy box hastily shoved someplace.
RIP ..  uhhhh  ... that one dorf.

It was inevitable :)

I do like spending some thought on burial, preferably in the "golden period" after getting the fort running and (hopefully!) before the first invasion. I tend to differ themes, trying to put some dorfiness in it: crypts in the cavern walls, graves dug from above with statue/slab above the grave, cozily arranged in nooks in the semi-molten rock (my current fort).  I actually think using the ore veins has something dorfy, limonite veins are the places where Armok's spirit can be felt best, after all.  I'm tempted to do a cool dining hall mausoleum next time, or bury them in the floor of the temple (medieval christian style).

You can 'rebury' a dwarf by deconstructing the coffin if you had to bury before the proper crypt is finished, I don't think dwarfs really mind that. If you give the first fallen a special place in the crypt you might also feel less guilty :)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 07:17:19 am »

I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it,
or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:23:08 am »

No kidding?  Hunh... that's actually very handy/dangerous information.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:49 am »

I often play in reanimating biomes, so the closest thing most of my Dwarves get to a coffin is a cage. In one fort (in a less dangerous area,) I did make a hall for coffins.

As for slabs, I like to place those in picturesque spots, such as on a hill. However, my penchant for zombie-fun means that they are usually placed in some nondescript corner of the Uristbunker.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:13 am »

Planters are buried beside elite marksdwarves, woodcrafters buried beside brewers. From the lowest peasant hauler to the mightiest smith, every dwarf is equal in death.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 12:59:05 pm »

My Crypts are either

-Spread around with coffins tastefully located in bedrooms.  The dwarves are not bothered by this at all.
-Also The dining room so dwarves are reminded of their ultimate fate constantly.
-Deliberately flooded for cool factor
-In old mines.
-Strewn about everywhere, in the stockpiles, in the hallways, in the wine cellar, in the kitchen...
-All the above.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6