Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?  (Read 14758 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 02:13:21 pm »

I enjoy having crypts at the bottom level of the fort, with plenty of rooms, memorial halls, and even grand mausoleums for the nobles. I always have a special hall for the starting 7.

I put them on the bottom level to keep clowns and other uninvited guests busy while I rally the troops. And if I can't rally them, the ghosts can deal with the guests as I wall them off.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:17:33 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »

I always embark with a good mason, so after all the tables and thrones are done, the coffins are all pretty good quality.

My dining hall is a whole layer of my fort - so 21x21. Working from the outside I build a ring of statues, then thrones, then tables then 2 rings of coffins. Food and booze stockpile and then central stairwell.

If the dwarves are particularly sad (lots of goblin corpses needing hauling) I'll stick in a ring of weapon traps near the stairwell.

I give them coffins as a reminder of their future. It is inevitable.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »

Aaaaaaaagh this thread is making me want to play SO bad. But I told myself I wouldn't until temples were released. Decisions...

Is there any way to load up the terrain from a save file into a different save file? World Edit (Minecraft) for DF?

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »

I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it,
or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

That seems to be my problem. My last fort I built this ornate catacomb, every dwarf had their own 3x3 engraved tomb, with two gem windows to be installed on their death. It was a glacier embark,next to two dark fortresses, and the dwarven civilization I embarked with was dead. I had no weapons grade material but the iron from the hematite I brought with me, enough to give 10 dwarves swords and armour the militia commander. And the worst I got was some stressed dwarves that got bad thoughts hauling dead cavern creatures to the refuse stockpile. One guy died before the catacomb was completed, so I made a special grave with a gem window facing into the caverns just to tempt fate that much, and nothing ever came. I can never get enough fun this version I swear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:00 pm »

I am proud of the tomb I built for Atir, who killed a FB with flesh rotting horrorjuice and was found stumbling blindly in a cloud of miasma afterwards. There is a shaft to the surface so he never has to sit alone in the dark again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »

That's cool. I built a huge lead pyramid for my founders. None of them have died yet, though. I hope they live long enough to have kids.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 04:09:09 am »

Ma graveyards tend to be rather simple. Typically they are 20x20 squares big, and contain a regular pattern of coffins, slabs and empty squares between them. As I usually have a fort die to fps-death instead of *fun*, the 20x20 areas are more than big enough. In my last fort I had the brilliant idea to have the hospital (10x10 squares) built inside the graveyard. That means a short hauling distance for dwarfs that the medics couldn't save, and given that several forgotten beasts with necrosis causing syndromes showed up, this short hauling distance paid off in the end, as only one of the many dwarfs that suffered from said syndromes was saved, the rest bled to death.

But do I feel sorry for the graveyard design? Definitely not. I mean, real life graveyards aren't so different. Nobles get their crypts next to their offices anyhow, just to remind them what will happen if they demand something too difficult to produce...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 04:15:44 am »

I often build my burial chamber in this design:

wwwwww
wo++ow
ww++ww
wo++ow         w = wall
ww++ww        o = coffin
wo++ow         + = floor
ww++ww        D = door
wo++ow
ww++ww
wo++ow
ww++ww
wwDDww

they have a capacity of 10 dwraves, and I build them scattered around the fortress

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:28 am »

I often build my burial chamber in this design:
-snip-
they have a capacity of 10 dwraves, and I build them scattered around the fortress
I started making those in the catacombs when I decided to enlist a bunch of farmers with an affinity of copper to the military.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 06:49:39 pm »

The official plan for New Blazecook is to build a DEATH PYRAMID (rifffff)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:06 pm »

My coffins are in 3x3 rooms branching off a main hallway.

My forts don't go far enough for me to spend enough time decorating.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 09:54:25 am »

I usually spend too time building huge graveyards beneath my fortress, decorated and all, and own tombs to my chieftains. When I played humans, I built "normal" graveyards (slabs) and above-ground mausoleums + below ground catacombs. The death toll is usually quite high in my fortresses...

Being a perfectionist is a bad thing sometimes. Sometimes less is better.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 11:23:39 am »

i carve out a huge square shaped opening in my fort and then just put the graves down 1 x apart from each other..only nobles and other roody poodies will get their own mausoleum...

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 04:55:40 pm »

i carve out a huge square shaped opening in my fort and then just put the graves down 1 x apart from each other..only nobles and other roody poodies will get their own mausoleum...

Do you then flood it?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

On the surface that's where the dwarves get carried to, right next to the "Hospital", and the "Dump".
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6