Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?  (Read 14752 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 07:50:53 pm »

On my first fort: the graveyard, one level before the caverns began. The firebreathing monkey found a home there after killing everyone that didn't run away.

Currently: rubbish single line tomb structure with occassional walled off noble's rooms.
One wheel short of a wagon

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 10:30:06 pm »

I usually set aside an entire floor for a crypt, and I've only even needed a large one once (most of my fortresses fall to inevitable fps-death or crumble to ruin in a single stroke rather than see frequent but tolerable deaths).

I set it up to spread outward from my main shaft, in all directions.  The hallways each have two small rooms in them.  Each room holds four stone coffins; two on the far wall, one on either side.  Like so:

wwwwwwwww
wwOOwwwOOww
wO++OwO++Ow
ww++www++ww

Wherein w=wall, +=floor, and O=coffin.

I intersperse these with 5x5 junction rooms, forming a sort of grid.  Vertical hallways are lined with individual coffins and/or memorial slabs, as necessary.  Junction rooms can be owned crypts or just statue rooms.
Everything is smoothed.  If I run into veins, they are mined out and replaced with walls.
The result is a catacombs I can be proud of.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 04:07:11 am »

I love how it says guilty in the title, and we're all talking about aesthetics and practical methods :)
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 06:50:11 am »

I love how it says guilty in the title, and we're all talking about aesthetics and practical methods :)
Oh yeah, zero guilt. I try to make them all aesthetically pleasing but ultimately it goes down to how high the mortality rate is. Still, I've found ways to come to nice compromises.

• On low mortality Forts everyone gets a nice mausoleum where they are interred within and a slab placed above.
  • On high risk necro/reanimating Forts burial grounds are more akin to prisons or Fortresses, at the very least nice memorial gardens are constructed.
  • On high mortality Forts I usually do something like carve out grand symmetrical alcoves in the walls of the Fort or the caverns and stack coffins and tombs there, that way even though each Dwarf gets only a 1x1 space, together their tomb is mighty.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 07:45:48 am »

That grand vision of yours is actually kinda true for me. Even if we have 30 dead dwarves in a besieged nightmare fort I for some reason insist on building 6x5 smoothed or engraved individual tombs for every dwarf. Usually this means people go without being buried for some time but when they do get a room it's a huge, smooth personal burial room with a door.

Of course if we really can't retrieve the body? The graveyard is usually pretty plain. Also their actual rooms that people live in? Usually not as good as the rooms their corpses are put in. I feel kinda strange giving the dead better quarters than the living but our ancestors need their beauty sleep.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:47:49 am by MrCompassionate »
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 07:46:52 am »

I want to redo my graveyard but corpses fall out of coffins.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 11:45:24 am »

I set it up to spread outward from my main shaft, in all directions.  The hallways each have two small rooms in them.  Each room holds four stone coffins; two on the far wall, one on either side.  Like so:

wwwwwwwww
wwOOwwwOOww
wO++OwO++Ow
ww++www++ww

I intersperse these with 5x5 junction rooms, forming a sort of grid.
Junction rooms can be owned crypts or just statue rooms.

I like your style...I usually make several long lines of smoothed and engraved 1-wide hallways with 1x1 statue and coffin alcoves, an unaltered pattern that creates a nice zigzag in the walls to make things look bigger than they are, usually radiating E/W and stacking N/S from a central stairwell. But I think I'll go for a more open arrangement now, and your junction rooms are inspiring me to make small statue gardens in front of sealed or unsealed tombs for the most worthy; maybe tombs buried under them for the nobles who nobody wants to see again. I'd like to add variation into my tombs, so they aren't so regular; maybe even a cremation alcove (ceremonial lava tile dump or retracting bridge) backed or flanked by memorial slabs for those who deserve a funeral but not as much preservation and reverence as others - and/or for those who have been enthralled by the accursed smoke.

Are there any building destroyers that could come up from an open shaft to the magma sea? (I know that I could close off the shaft when it's not in use, but if that's where some of the bodies are going, it seems better to have an open connection to the place.)

Also, all the rock available to me right now is brimstone and conglomerate, so I'm going to have to face my tombs with better material unless I find some lower down (trying to pierce a multi-layer aquifer.) Would that be engraveable? I feel like I discovered it was, at some point, but I don't quite remember. Would it make a difference if it were constructed rock walls vs. constructed block walls?

And yeah, this thread convinced me to start playing DF again. New fort! Congrats, all :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 12:36:30 pm »

You guys put a lot more effort into this than I do. I generally just set aside the lowest floor of the fort for catacombs, with big long corridors this:

Code: [Select]
╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦═╦
║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║
╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬∩╬
║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║0║
╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩═╩

with a coffin + slab sometimes swapped out for a branching corridor. I certainly don't feel guilty about it though, these are more than common dwarves seem to expect.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:43:36 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »

i carve out a huge square shaped opening in my fort and then just put the graves down 1 x apart from each other..only nobles and other roody poodies will get their own mausoleum...

Do you then flood it?

nah. im not that good with pumps..or water..

i can build a basic irrigation system to keep my undercavern farms supplied with fertile soil and my well supplied with fresh water.

but outside of that.i suck at using water...

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:32 am »

Nonames get their graves dumped into abandoned mining shafts where they're out of the way.
Mildly important dwarves (appointed "nobles", soldiers with kills, most crafters) get their graves along the sides of the main corridors.
Important dwarves (military captains, legendary crafters) get a small 3x3 tomb with decorations.
Useless nobles get whatever they demand, at least until they actually die. Then they go into the mining shafts.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 06:18:00 am »

Yeah, early on I just stuff them coffins somewhere inconspicuous, maybe a yet to be utilized room or something until I can get a nice mausoleum up and running, which is quite far down the priority list. When that time comes, I reserve an entire z-level just for graves. I dig a sort of repeating honeycomb pattern and just fill it to the brim with coffins in the corners as and when needed. Of course, the starting seven, nobles and military (as well as any important dwarf) get their own separate alcoves. The tombs are pretty simple, but the tomb entrance is pretty intimidating if I should say so myself. Pill shaped magma moat with a drawbridge that links the fortress to the tombs area. with the bridges flanked by statues of the champions of the fort as well as caged enemies. The entire area serves as a handy trash dump as well with the magma.

Mostly I feel more guilty about the lack of dead dwarves to occupy the nice graves I've dug out for them. Most of them die to old age rather than straight up combat or dwarven stupidity. I suppose I'm just overly cautious and turtle a tad too much. But then again, I've yet to pay a visit to the circus. Well, the time will come. Meanwhile, time to up the !!FUN!! factor I suppose.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 12:42:06 pm »

I've always been pretty good with my catacombs actually. I have a hall with rows and rows of offshoot halls. Along the halls are small enclaves wherein a single coffin can be stored. That's for the average citizen. The dwarves that manage to get a name, or do something particularly notable, get a tomb - 3x3 minimum. Usually this doesn't require much upkeep. Carve out nine of them and you're good for a few years. The nobles get lumped with the civilians if they don't prove themselves.

Just macro the carving designs and you can sort the whole thing out in a couple of minutes. If you have four rows, stick ten coffins a side on each, that's 80 corpses you've got space for. A stonecarver will knock that out easy. And when you run out of space you just run the macro again.  Same for the tombs.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »

Normally, my catacombs consist of an intersection of four giant hallways.

From right to left is made up of coffins that are for the simple dwarves that haven't really accomplished anything. They each get a regular stone coffin and a slab.

The bottom hallway is made up of 3x3 fully-engraved rooms with silver (if I have it) coffins, silver (or gold) doors, and a slab. These are the rooms for dwarves who were accomplished, or just dwarves I think deserved to have one of these tombs.

And finally, the top hallway is made up of 6x7 fully-engraved rooms adorned with gold coffins, gold armor and weapon stands, a slab, and a single golden statue. These are the rooms who go to the highest individuals: The nobles (If I haven't already burned the bodies), Military leaders, or Legendary individuals (multiple legendary stats.)

I tend to have quite a few dwarf deaths in the later years simply due to me forcing them to do extremely horrible fun things.
For example: Shoving a large number of children into the death play pit and have them fight a number of creatures for my entertainment.

Plus it gives them pretty nice stats once they finally grow up.  ;D

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »

My "normal" dwarves get a simple coffin in one of the burial rooms. Each room has 9 coffins put in a grid. Important dwarves, like nobles and legendary soldiers get their own tombs, each decorated with statues, armor stands and engravings. Sometimes I designate tombs as meeting halls. I like the idea of dwarves visiting their ancestors.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:27 am »

I often build my corridor in this design:

wo+++ow
ww+++ww
wo+++ow         w = wall
ww+++ww        o = coffin
wo+++ow         + = floor
ww+++ww       
wo+++ow
ww+++ww
wo+++ow
ww+++ww

they have a capacity of 1 dwarfs/ corridor square.

Some of my special dwarfs get a statue on each side of a coffin assigned specifically to them.

Good placement: Between workshops, and depot
Between workshops, and bedroom catacombs
Between farm industry and metal industry

edit:
Alarmingly, if you replace the coffins with nest boxes, it's identical to my poultry operation (with the whole thing designated as a pasture).
Also, my starting dormitory.
Also, my starting dining hall.

Hmm. It seems I tend to re-use a quite utilitarian design element ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:32:42 am by Garrie »
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6