Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?  (Read 14753 times)

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 09:20:58 am »

I always wanted to make a crypt which looks similar to dungeons from various games, but I usually just end up making long corridors with holes on either sides to shove coffins in. To avoid making it look boring, I place a few statues here and there and maybe make a 4x5 room with coffins on each corner if I'm making a turn. Overall, the place is boring though.

I do, however, have a massive room filled with the corpses, bones, and skulls of fallen enemies where they will rot forever on top of each other while being nibbled by Two-Legged Rhino Lizards.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:33 am »

My group is called the "crypt of infamy" in my new, name-themed fortress, so I'm going to have to be looking at this thread a lot for ideas.

I've started by refusing to slab a dwarf I accidentally drowned. I now have a sealed, underwater part of my fortress with bodies in on the first level, as well as a crypt in the stone layer with a complex spiral pattern. Apart from piles of dead bodies and pits for FBs, any other ways to make it "Infamous", do you think?
One wheel short of a wagon

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 10:08:28 am »

My group is called the "crypt of infamy" in my new, name-themed fortress, so I'm going to have to be looking at this thread a lot for ideas.

I've started by refusing to slab a dwarf I accidentally drowned. I now have a sealed, underwater part of my fortress with bodies in on the first level, as well as a crypt in the stone layer with a complex spiral pattern. Apart from piles of dead bodies and pits for FBs, any other ways to make it "Infamous", do you think?

Just have coffins and slabs everywhere, and occasionally "accidentally" drown 10 dwarves or so and make them slabs.

This Crypt is infamous for deliberately making itself larger for no reason.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 04:02:07 pm »

I've only had two actual crypts instead of te usual field of slabs.  One was in a multi level ore cluster where each dwarf had their coffin walled into the sides with forifications to forever watch over the source of their wealth (that attracted their death). The other was a half-embark sized spiral where each dwarf was carried past the monument slabs and statues of his fellows and returned to the liquid heart of the earth.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 02:45:41 am »

i carve out a huge square shaped opening in my fort and then just put the graves down 1 x apart from each other..only nobles and other roody poodies will get their own mausoleum...

Do you then flood it?

nah. im not that good with pumps..or water..

i can build a basic irrigation system to keep my undercavern farms supplied with fertile soil and my well supplied with fresh water.

but outside of that.i suck at using water...
Nobody was talking about _water_. Use lava instead. :D
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »

My current fortress's burial hall looks like the crypts from Winterfell. Long corridors winding around with 2x3 alcoves along the corridors and with a centered coffin/sarcophagus set in the alcove. Some junctions have a larger 12x12 or bigger room for nobles and the like. When various statues get placed in the upper layers, I'll start putting them in the alcoves for the appropriate entombed dwarf. Nobles get a large room, the first 7 have special accommodations set aside as well. The current Baron REALLY likes slabs so I'll probably be also putting engraved slabs for all the dead in the entrance path/perimeter of the Queen's Throne Room (Three levels with a balcony, engravings on all the levels' walls and also with a window looking into the hall from the third level (Military and defense staff mostly).

Oh, there's also a room off the side of the entrance for lines of coffins for the pets of the dwarves. Usually what I do is start building coffins once things are kicking upstairs and set a specific stockpile for them in a room off the entrance to the crypts. That way when I need a dwarf buried in a hurry, there's a short task to haul it and install in it's alcove if it's not already set there ready for a dwarf. The crypts also have a designated room for corpses so when something bad happens, I can get them buried quickly.

Usually the first bit of crypts is a set of 1x1 alcoves for the very first casualties if that happens. They'll get engraved later once the engravers get up to snuff on their skill levels.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

That is an excellent name for a megaproject. What I recommend is making the crypts utterly inhospitable to all forms of life, including your own, and ever growing. So make the crypts labyrinth style, with many paths branching off each section, and once a section is filled with bodies, place a trap of some kind that will murder your own dwarves as well. Fill areas with undead, put crushing or dropping bridges linked to pressure pads, have spikes on repeat with an infinite minecart or water repeater, stick a deadly FB or five in a pit, or just running around, have drops into pits filled with snakes, bears, or what-have-you, have pressure-plate drowning traps, have FBs or dragons hidden behind enticing artifact doors, make narrow Durin's bridges to nowhere with very infrequently activated spikes (so that an adventurer will walk out onto the bridge, look around, say "huh, nothing here," and then start back only to suddenly have the spikes activate and make him dodge off into the darkness), have rooms that seal themselves the moment someone walks inside, have corridors with spikes at random intervals activating in different sequences, have corridors with crushing or dropping bridges activating at different times, have a large arena ringed with coffins watched over by a necromancer and filled with dangerous undead beasts, whose count grows with each foolish adventurer, and so on and of course a magma chamber, and bridges over magma, and so on. The more dwarves die, the more excuses you have for more traps. Hell, you could have a room which kills people with smoke inhalation. The only condition is that it keeps expanding as more dwarves die and as it keeps expanding you keep adding and activating more traps to seal off the filled sections so that you can never again access them without dwarves dying in huge numbers (which would prompt more expansion of the crypt). I'm thinking of a Dark Souls/early roguelike style endless dungeon/catacombs vibe with infinite amounts of ridiculously dangerous traps which ARE POSSIBLE TO GET THROUGH WITHOUT BREAKING THE WHOLE THING DOWN but just require insane amounts of luck and many attempts to ascertain how they work.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

So a fort with a massive, adventure-mode oriented perhaps crypt? Loadsa stone for my castle I'm building, loadsa places to put all the junk I'll produce, and an excuse to keep pop down. If FPS death doesn't overcome me, this would be a fun first megaproject. I might try it. Hell, retiring and unretiring to bring down lag would scatter useless crap, beasts, dwarves etc everywhere, so if the crypt was large enough, this might have a positive effect!
One wheel short of a wagon

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:48 pm »

I never felt bad before, then I updated this evening to v40.24 and now the peasants can cry out for help in the reports. I know I'll feel guilty now.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:09 pm »

I always felt a little twinge of guilt, usually if the dwarf in question had a family or many friends to mourn them. Otherwise I'm more irritated, because a worker or soldier got killed, though at least now soldiers don't take forever to get to "usually not killed instantly" levels of competency.

Rosemary7391

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:07 am »

I usually just have halls lined with coffins, and the occasional slab in them. I think coffins are more efficient - you usually have to do something with the body anyway, and coffins can be made in advance and filled by haulers whereas slabs have to be engraved after the fact in a workshop. And then hauled anyway! I don't feel guilty about the graveyard - it's usually smoothed, and in a quiet area of the fort (often below bedrooms).

I used to make tombs for nobles out of mined out ore veins, but that's less good now since floors don't stay as the ore anymore.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2015, 04:03:43 pm »

I used to make tombs for nobles out of mined out ore veins, but that's less good now since floors don't stay as the ore anymore.
I liked it at first because then everything would match, but now not so much because if you build something in hell and deconstruct it, the floors turn into non-slade. I should see if I can mine it sometime.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2015, 05:49:31 pm »

To answer your question...

Nope!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2015, 01:48:28 am »

Nope!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Generally, tombs are assigned while dwarves are still alive. When my blacksmith churns out a masterful statue depicting a given dwarf, it gets built in their bedroom. If another statue is made, it's put in a tomb and the tomb assigned to that dwarf (the ones with two coffins are for married couples; each coffin is made into a room). All dead dwarves additionally get a memorial slab in their tomb.

To the north are the military tombs; the one with all the statues is that of my killing machine militia commander; others' tombs are being decorated slowly but surely. Most of the 3x3 tombs are for craftsdwarves, whose phenomenal creations are honored in statuary, plus one for my mayor/bookkeeper/manager/broker, one of the few truly good nobles I've ever had.

The 1x3 tombs are for those unfortunates who died early in the history of the fort. Two of them, though, are for the vampires who infiltrated the fort. I've deliberately mixed up their tombstones and statues. One of the statues is of a leech.

The coffins and slabs in the large, shared rooms are for pets and for enemies of the fortress. Every enemy, down to the lowliest goblin, that can be slabbed eventually will be. The four down stairways in the bottom right lead to the Wagon Memorial, in memoriam a few of the noble beasts tragically scuttled at a young age.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:14 pm »

I just build grids of 3 tile wide corridors lined with coffins for the peasants and give notable dwarves the spaces in between these halls as mausoleums. If they didn't like it they shouldn't have moved to my fortress.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6