Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?  (Read 14756 times)

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Ever feel guilty about your graveyards?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2015, 05:46:49 pm »

Iton Eddudton, Plebian cancels mill plants, requires empty bag.

... There are so many things wrong with that

Why didn't you have more bags?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

...I think you have the wrong thread (-:

If you have empty bags available that they're not seeing, make sure your querns/millstones don't have any stockpile links and try again.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:32 pm »

I recall in one of my fortresses I had built 4 20*20 empty rooms (you could tell I was prepared). By the end of its career 2 of them were completely full. On several occasions I had only 1 dwarf remaining, he was a vampire book keeper I had walled into a room to ensure the fortress would forever remain inhabited. Unfortunately a berserk ghost had beheaded him before I could add more migrants to my graveyard *ahem* I mean bury the existing dead.

Most of the deaths stemmed from tantrum spirals starting from unfulfilled strange moods, and the fact that most of the unburied bodies remained in the meeting room.

I just realised 2*20*20 is 800. That seems impossible now that I think about it, but I'm sure 2 20*20 rooms were filled!

But to answer your question... guilt doesn't even begin to describe it!  :D
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2015, 11:51:19 pm »

Sometimes severed body parts get their own place in the corpse stockpiles. Unless you meant they all had coffins that filled 2*20*20? I guess it's possible you had that many migrants.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2015, 02:03:43 am »

It was full of coffins. I recall having a grand coffin industry.

The fortress was just short of 40 years I think, so 800 deaths doesn't seem overly impossible...

Hehehe.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2015, 03:01:07 pm »

I don't feel that guilty, but I do wish I could move the more important graves later if I need to. I try to have a whole tomb made up for each dorf in a few years, so that they can go to their rest in a fancy location.

I tend to have a masonry devoted to coffin and slab production, and a spare craftsdorf workshop devoted to engraving the slabs. This doubles as a useful workshop for Moody dorfs to use as their base of operations when they need to, and the price of two stones is really not that difficult. Add to that a few stockpiles for slabs, statues and coffins. You can see those in the middle top, upwards of the staircase.

There are quite a few "common" graves in little rooms along the main hallway there, but by this point I'm giving most dorfs a 3-by-whatever room to have their coffin in, as you can see on the bottom right. This might happen over multiple levels, it all depends on what rock I want to mine at the time.

I have special rooms for displaying slabs, which I get smoothed and engraved when I have the time, and put a statue in the middle, so that they can become statue viewing courtyards. I don't usually make them diamond shaped, but I was having fun on this one. There are three of them on the bottom left.

The less interesting slabs, made by beginner masons, just get assembled in a room on their own, so that the only ones that get engraved are the fancier slabs. This adds to the value of said room, and makes a great mausoleum later for my baron or baroness, seen here on the far right.

As a random aside, I have noticed that vampires always visit their own coffin, whilst other dorfs don't tend to do this, far as I can tell. Except for Messy Dorfs, who always seem to discard clothing in the room somewhere, so Messy Dorfs tend to get a nice stone cabinet near their coffin.

(Edited for Spelling)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:02:50 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2015, 03:22:03 pm »

Cool stuff, useful info about vamps and messy dorfs. I know you've all heard it, but so much damn work was put into this game, and it's fantastic.

Must use "every dwarf has a tomb" idea for my "crypt of infamy". Why do the little tykes insist on bedrooms, anyway?
One wheel short of a wagon

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2015, 04:02:27 pm »

Cool stuff, useful info about vamps and messy dorfs. I know you've all heard it, but so much damn work was put into this game, and it's fantastic.

Must use "every dwarf has a tomb" idea for my "crypt of infamy". Why do the little tykes insist on bedrooms, anyway?

Bonus points: Merge the bedroom + tomb

They sleep next to their coffin, knowing someday they will die and be in it forever.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:23 am »

I'm not great at burying people, as I was interested in what slabs said, and would probably flood the bedrooms if I tried to unflood the meeting hall anyway. Is there any way I could get dwarves to have their own slabs in their bedrooms, I wonder?
One wheel short of a wagon

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2015, 10:54:37 pm »

'Fraid not, since you can't engrave a slab in memoriam a given creature until after said creature is dead.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2015, 11:09:10 am »

I'm not great at burying people, as I was interested in what slabs said, and would probably flood the bedrooms if I tried to unflood the meeting hall anyway. Is there any way I could get dwarves to have their own slabs in their bedrooms, I wonder?
'Fraid not, since you can't engrave a slab in memoriam a given creature until after said creature is dead.

You could just have a blank slab in their bedroom until they die, then send it to get engraved.

I just had a werepanda cascade, and all the graves and tombs I had on that level are now filled. I'm digging out a new tomb level below, as there are ten or so survivors, and more migrants arriving. There is an interesting bug, where the dwarves try to put the werebeasts into their assigned tombs, carry them all the way to the coffin, then stop, and take them back again, again and again. So I put a refuse pile with everything forbidden in the tomb, and sure enough, the various body parts of the Baroness have started piling up next to her coffin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan to lock the door when she's all in there, and the dwarfs should stop repeatedly disturbing her corpse... She might not be fully entombed, but she has a slab engraved, that should be enough. There are so many werebeast graves now, I hope this works for each of them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »

I often play Masterwork, where occasionally bad things can happen involving corpses.  As a result, my memorial halls are just slabs and statues, placed where idle dwarves can easily admire them.  The actual corpses get minecart-dumped through a hole in the ceiling of an otherwise sealed room, and left to rot along with all my dead invaders, discarded socks, and non-masterwork-quality statues.  Only the difficulty of retrofitting plumbing stops me from flooding the room with magma occasionally, just to be sure.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2015, 03:24:13 pm »

Why not just dump the items down a shaft into the magma sea? Then they won't clutter up your stocks screen and lower your FPS. Barring that, stick an atom smasher in that room.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2015, 05:33:58 pm »

This is my current Burial level. The tombs are on the right with each dwarf getting a 3x3 room and the large center room with 4 coffins and others lining the walls is where i put some notable dwarves the white coffins are for pets.

The rooms with gold doors are the ones that are currently occupied by a dwarf. There are actually a few more filled that need to be sealed. On the left is the morgue and butcher shop / refuse stockpile. These are seperated from the rest of the fort via an airlock.

The drawbridge is used to seal off the cave area and the living quarters.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:30 am »

I embarked to reclaim an NPC fortress (it was routed by a forgotten beast many years ago) with a small squadron of dwarf warriors. At their head was a newly minted leader with little combat experience. His party consisted of a combat medic, a war veteran, a fresh recruit (former farmer) and two regulars from the main army.

We arrived at the abandoned fortress. It was quiet, the sign of any former were the strewn about clothing and food and the fortress itself. It seemed like there was no danger here, no enemy.

Then dehydration began to set in. There were no pools or sources of water on the surface. There were no farms, or plants. No help came. Steadily their throats grew drier and drier. The leader was ill equipped to handle matters of fortress management; it took several weeks before a still and a craftsdwarf workshop were up and running. By that time thirst had claimed 4 of the original seven. Including the leader himself.

The remaining survivors, the surgeon, the farmer and one of the regulars got to work on brewing alcohol and planting what little seed we had. The corpses were thrown outside the fortress - we had no time to make graves. But at last sweet alcohol flowed through the fortress and immigrants, hearing of the fortresses safety arrived.

The surgeon took on the mantle of the leader. In remembrance of the fallen, he placed their tombs in the dining hall, reminding all of the sacrifice that was necessary to ensure everyone their drink...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6