Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GodComplex (My fort)  (Read 937 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
GodComplex (My fort)
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:40:00 am »

I've been uploading pictures of this, so might as well share it here. GodComplex is my second iteration of fortress design, and it certainly thinks it's much more important than it really is.

- Heavy protections against the almighty elephant

- Yes, it's getting under siege

- That catapult is worthless

- I can't pull the trade depot back to make it floodable again  :(

- Lava bridge, woo

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GodComplex (My fort)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:38:00 am »

OK, where'd you get that tileset?

Fort looks nice, too, but I love the river/road and pretty much the rest of that tileset.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:34:00 am »

you have poor allocation based off empty space... I like the demon killing machine at the end though.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

PhilD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:23:00 am »

I understand that "demons" are nasty stuff that comes from the lava river (never seen them, I have yet to significantly settle over the underground river), but I don't see how the setup is supposed to kill them. Is the large complex of 5x5 rooms supposed to be flooded in case of an attack?

Also, I don't understand the reason for the large north/south tunnels near the entrance.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks engraved rooms just look ugly? I mean, smoothed is fine, but engraved is just unreadable.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 10:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
<STRONG>
Oh, and am I the only one who thinks engraved rooms just look ugly? I mean, smoothed is fine, but engraved is just unreadable.</STRONG>

IMHO, it looks better if you engrave in moderation (i.e. a small section of wall in a dinning room).
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:50:00 am »

I don't like engraved floors, but I do engrave walls from time to time.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »

The long corridors are me trying to find the ores the strange mood metalsmiths want.

The tileset is the second iteration of the tileset I posted earlier:

And those weapon traps and flooding are just to handle the fire imps from the lava. I'm going to do something larger to face the demons.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

Yeah.  I was going to say...  the flood trap will be fine for the fire demons, but it'll just give the toad ones a second approach to your fortress.  Also, unless you want to flood everything right of the chasm (and everything everywhere if you don't raise that bridge), it would need some channels to block the water...  demons love to destroy doors.

What I'd have done is made the 5x5 rooms a little larger, and rigged them all to collapse at the flip of a lever.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

Thats why you do a double edged one. Toad demons can't cross lava, Fire Demons Can't cross water.so retract any passage over the lava and enjoy.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?