Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nutrient-Lacking Soils  (Read 2361 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Nutrient-Lacking Soils
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:03:12 pm »

We've all drowned in plump helmets, and sometimes there aren't enough chefs to make biscuits in the early game.

So why not a system to prevent endless crop harvesting by your midgets? Such a system that slows growth if you farm a crop on the same plot for more than two seasons, allowing you to avoid drowning in rat weed. If you do want to spam a crop, then just switch the plot per season.

I was thinking something along the lines of having an alert for the crop-selection menu displaying nutritionally deficient plot for certain products that have been overharvested.

In true Laptisen nature, I have probably forgotten something. Could someone note if something here is redundant or senseless? I'd really appreciate it.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Nutrient-Lacking Soils
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:30 pm »

Geophagy.
Why would you eat soil? Mutton roast is far tastier..
It will work nicely if certain crops can also help growth of others, legumes add nitrogen to soil and many plants need nitrogen.

By the way how good is lamb
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:06 am »

Soil nutrient requirements for plants and nutrient tracking to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you, fertilizers can reflect this
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:21 am »

It seems like much of a hussle, with little improvement in game. The way you present it it doesn't really add difficulty in interesting way, just add hussle to move the field every year.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:57:42 am »

It seems like much of a hussle, with little improvement in game. The way you present it it doesn't really add difficulty in interesting way, just add hussle to move the field every year.

Perhaps, instead of crop rotation fixing the issue of nutrient deficiency, only certain crops, like beans or peanuts (which are legumes), or potash can cause the fertility of a garden plot to increase.  This would leave potash as the only underground solution for loss of fertility, while above ground there would be a few more choices.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:21:59 pm »

The idea was to prevent overharvesting by your dwarves that could be better off doing other things.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »

Think it would be a good way to force you to use potash or move your crops. Maybe it's just me but I never bother with fertilizer and I'm always drowning in plants, and I hate rearranging my fort.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 10:11:04 pm »

A long time ago, there was another, very detailed suggestion of this sort.  I think it was NW_Kohaku who had researched the various soil nutrients and had ideas about systems surrounding that, but it's been so long ago I don't know where the thread was.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »

A long time ago, there was another, very detailed suggestion of this sort.  I think it was NW_Kohaku who had researched the various soil nutrients and had ideas about systems surrounding that, but it's been so long ago I don't know where the thread was.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76007

I would have linked it in my previous post, but this thread is focused solely on soil quality, which is simple and already on the dev list.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 11:26:22 am »

Nutrient requirements and tracking is in the Dwarf Fortress Development plan doesn't really say what it will be, bone/blood meal, composting organics, poopsmiths...
Farming Improvements
  • Soil moisture tracking and ability to moisten soil (buckets or other irrigation)
  • Soil nutrient requirements for plants and nutrient tracking to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you, fertilizers can reflect this
  • Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
  • Weeds
  • More pests